Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #1801
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for showing up against the Preds, Wings.

Nothing really solved tonight. The teams behind (Anaheim, Minnesota, St. Louis) won, the teams ahead lost (Edmonton, Nashville, Columbus).

Just gets tighter and tighter.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #1802
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Nice to see the Hurricanes charging into the playoffs rather than rolling over like they did the last few years. Looks like Cole brought some intensity back to this club that they've been missing.

La-la-la! I'm not listening! I'm not listening!

Dammit, I wanna really enjoy this recent stretch, but I can't totally do so. I keep waiting for that other shoe to drop. I'd feel a heckuva lot more confident if we didn't have to finish with the Rangers, Penguins, Sabres, Islanders, and Devils (the last on the road). I think I'm still a bit traumatized by what happened last year and by the various ugly losing streaks they've had this year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #1803
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Brian Burke just told the Toronto Star that he's going to sue my ass:
The Spin
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #1804
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hope Cox tells him the person doing it is Mr Brown.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #1805
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Brian Burke just told the Toronto Star that he's going to sue my ass:
The Spin

"Web pollution" versus "all fun."

I vote: All fun.

Maybe it's time to insure your ass just like J-Lo.

If he decides to sue you in America (which is unlikely), I'm a lawyer and would gladly take your case on Pro Bono.

If he sues you in Canada (more likely), I know some Canadian lawyers.

You're in good hands.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #1806
DeToxRox
Head Coach

LOL Amazing, ML.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #1807
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
LOL Amazing, ML.

Wow, agreed. This is just fantastic. Most successful non-celebrity twitter evah!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #1808
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Great stuff, ML...keep it up, Burke is a douchebag and he continues to prove it over and over again.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #1809
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Sick shootout goal by Oilers prospect Linus Omark

http://www.youtube.com/v/CiawQpz9wGU&amphl=en&ampfs=1[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295">

hmmm...embed not working...at least for me

YouTube - Linus Omark - Straffmål i träningsmatchen mellan Sverige - Schweiz 2009-03-31

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 03-31-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #1810
Travis
Pro Rookie

Bah, MacT will have that sort of skill coached out of him inside of two years so enjoy it now
Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #1811
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

We've all seen where cool shootout goals get Oiler prospects... *cough*schremp*cough*
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #1812
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ping: UMichigan Frozen fans

The Ducks just signed D Mark Mitera, their 2006 1st round pick, to a three-year entry level contract. He was at the time of being drafted one of the best defenseman prospects in his class, but needed to develop some.

So I thought I would get your impressions on what the Ducks have here. Also, is he a step into the NHL guy or still a year or two away. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #1813
bhlloy
Coordinator

Did anyone else catch the end of the Ducks - Oilers game. Oilers come and score 2 in the last 3 minutes to be only one goal down, and then McTavish tries to get a stick measurement against Selanne, loses it and puts Penner in the box for the delay of game penalty - basically ending their chances of winning. Doubly strange as Penner was a real force out there towards the end and is surely the guy you want parked in front of the net in the last minute. Not a good coaching move at all.

Still good win for the Ducks even if they did fall asleep at the end.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #1814
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ping: UMichigan Frozen fans

The Ducks just signed D Mark Mitera, their 2006 1st round pick, to a three-year entry level contract. He was at the time of being drafted one of the best defenseman prospects in his class, but needed to develop some.

So I thought I would get your impressions on what the Ducks have here. Also, is he a step into the NHL guy or still a year or two away. Thanks.

Kid tore his ACL in September or October and was back in February. Was rusty obviously. Nice physical game but still has to develope on the offensive end. Will be a solid player.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #1815
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Logan is a bitch.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 04-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #1816
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
cmp smoked me a lot to a little. was a lot closer then the final score would indicate but I made awful decisions. I had 4 possessions inside the 10 and didn't score on any of them. Two fumbles, one pick six. Was just too careless but my freshman QB definetly played a part in it.

gg cmp.

Were you beat so badly that you couldn't find the right thread to put this in?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #1817
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Raffi Torres is clutch. And Mexican.

That is all.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #1818
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hope Columbus makes the playoffs, I still have a soft spot for RJ Umberger.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #1819
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I hope Columbus makes the playoffs, I still have a soft spot for RJ Umberger.

Umberger has been a great fit with this team, and since the Vermette trade, those two have developed some great chemistry together. Both have 10 points in 12 games (Vermette 6g4a, Umberger 5g5a). He just has a knack for scoring goals in front of the net, he had a great one last night to make it a 1-1 game, knocking in his own rebound.

What a great trade by Howson, turning Adam Foote into RJ Umberger and a 4th round pick.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #1820
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

RJ isn't flashy but he plays tough and you can play him on the PP and PK. I loved him as a Flyer and was sad to see him go, but it was a Cap casulity. However, I do like the guy (Sisba) they got for him from Columbus when the Blue Jackets shipped over their first rounder for RJ's rights in last year's draft.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #1821
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

While that trade by Howson has worked out excellent, this might be the best move of all:

Blue Jackets Xtra : Cancer patient's 1-day pact with Jackets priceless

This is the reason I'm proud to be a hockey and a Blue Jackets fan

Even better, he's in the team picture, right behind Steve Mason on the left:

Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #1822
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

JVR has signed with the Flyers, and is joining the Phantoms now
Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #1823
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
While that trade by Howson has worked out excellent, this might be the best move of all:

Blue Jackets Xtra : Cancer patient's 1-day pact with Jackets priceless

This is the reason I'm proud to be a hockey and a Blue Jackets fan

Even better, he's in the team picture, right behind Steve Mason on the left:

I really, really like that story
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #1824
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
JVR has signed with the Flyers, and is joining the Phantoms now

Yeah he has a tryout offer with the Phantoms...his entry level deal doesn't start until next year.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #1825
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Did anyone else catch the end of the Ducks - Oilers game. Oilers come and score 2 in the last 3 minutes to be only one goal down, and then McTavish tries to get a stick measurement against Selanne, loses it and puts Penner in the box for the delay of game penalty - basically ending their chances of winning. Doubly strange as Penner was a real force out there towards the end and is surely the guy you want parked in front of the net in the last minute. Not a good coaching move at all.
lots of words

Quote:
McTavish tries to get a stick measurement against Selanne, loses it and puts Penner in the box for the delay of game penalty - basically ending their chances of winning. Doubly strange as Penner was a real force out there towards the end and is surely the guy you want parked in front of the net in the last minute. Not a good coaching move at all.
still a lot of words

Quote:
McTavish tries to get a stick measurement against Selanne, loses it and puts Penner in the box for the delay of game penalty - basically ending their chances of winning. Not a good coaching move at all.
so many words

Quote:
McTavish. Not a good coaching move at all.
Agreed.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #1826
samifan24
Pro Starter

I feel sick.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #1827
Logan
Head Coach

Oh shi
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #1828
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

worst ever
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #1829
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Ick. It just doesn't work at all. Red, white, grey, and black tend to work. Green, blue, and grey work. Red, white, black, green, blue, and grey don't.

Is that for real, even? It looks photoshopped to me. I hope so, anyway. April Fool's, maybe? *shudder*
Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #1830
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

I feel sick.

What is that?

No, seriously, what in the hell is that?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #1831
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
What is that?

No, seriously, what in the hell is that?

I think it's a real jersey. They were talking about it in the Puck Daddy Yahoo Sports hockey blog.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #1832
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

That looks very photoshopped to me, and given the date on the post above I'm giving it a 1% chance of being real.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #1833
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Avs are so decimated by injuries (real, or Hedman induced) that last night the Avalanche defenseman with the 3rd most NHL seniority was Michael Vernace. He has all of 7 games under his belt. 4 of the Avs 6 D in the game had made their NHL debut in the last couple of weeks.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #1834
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
the Avs are so decimated by injuries (real, or Hedman induced) that last night the Avalanche defenseman with the 3rd most NHL seniority was Michael Vernace. He has all of 7 games under his belt. 4 of the Avs 6 D in the game had made their NHL debut in the last couple of weeks.

What's going on with Colorado? This injury thing has been an epidemic over the last few years. It's really been out of control. Is it just a collection of incredibly fragile players, bad luck, poor conditioning?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #1835
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
What's going on with Colorado? This injury thing has been an epidemic over the last few years. It's really been out of control. Is it just a collection of incredibly fragile players, bad luck, poor conditioning?

I do think some of the recent injuries probably have more to do with where the team is in the standings (I bet there's 4 or 5 guys who would be playing right now if the games actually counted). but yeah, lots and lots of really bad luck in the last few years.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #1836
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pumpy...I almost feel bad for what happened at Mellon Arena Wednesday night. Almost.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #1837
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes win their seventh in a row, beating the Rangers 4-2 at home...and that is all I have to say about that. Nope. Not gonna acknowledge the standings or anything. (Just once in my life, I'd like to experience utter confidence that things will go right for my teams, but I've felt so snakebit and jaded over the past two decades that it's nearly impossible to do it.)
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #1838
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Canes win their seventh in a row, beating the Rangers 4-2 at home...and that is all I have to say about that. Nope. Not gonna acknowledge the standings or anything. (Just once in my life, I'd like to experience utter confidence that things will go right for my teams, but I've felt so snakebit and jaded over the past two decades that it's nearly impossible to do it.)

Glad to see Maurice doing well......he really got the short end of the stick in Toronto.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #1839
bhlloy
Coordinator

I really think that the West is wide open this year. Don't think the Wings can be 100% confident with the way they are heading into the playoffs and I'll believe the Sharks are a playoff force when I see it... I can see the Flames or 'Nucks stealing a series from them and making it to the finals.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #1840
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Glad to see Maurice doing well......he really got the short end of the stick in Toronto.

The interesting part is that much of the fanbase here was very much unhappy he was brought back. Lots of words like "crony" thrown about. Maurice really had to win the fans back and he's obviously done so, though winning a ton of games certainly helps.

The one unfair thing I suppose about how Carolina fans treated his return was that in his prior stint before the lockout, Carolina was probably much more talent-poor than they are now (no Staal or Ward, for example) and so had to resort to a rather ugly style of hockey that relied on keeping things close and hoping to pull out a win, which work fabulously well right up to Game 2 of the '02 Finals, but the bottom fell out over the next couple of years when the lack of talent became glaring. Certainly, while this team isn't on a level talent-wise of Pittsburgh, Washington, or Boston, I think they'd blow the doors off the 2002 team. With the rules changes that have unclogged the game a bit and the salary cap spreading the talent around a little more, it's given Maurice I think a bit more latitude in playing offensive hockey while still retaining a strong defensive mindset. Granted, the offense has diminished a bit as Carolina's really been in a meat-grinder of a schedule recently and just about everyone fighting for a playoff spot is playing what amounts to playoff hockey, but it's hard to argue with a seven-game win streak and a team record 10 in a row at home. They also manfully battled back from that ugly stretch of games after the break where they got outscored something like 15-3 at home. It's hard to believe that this is the same team sometimes.

Regardless, I'm not going to celebrate anything until they get that spot nailed down. That collapse last year.... *sigh*
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #1841
bhlloy
Coordinator

Crazy game going on in Vancouver tonight. Luongo and Hiller are getting shelled and it's 5-5 after 2 periods. Would be a huge point for the Ducks, never mind 2 if they can get the win.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #1842
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
... I've felt so snakebit and jaded over the past two decades that it's nearly impossible to do it.)

What? The 'Canes won the cup, what, 3 years ago? Good grief man, how can you be jaded? Let your team win 1 playoff series in 20 years and lose several after being up 3 games to 1, then come talk to me about jaded. Oh ya, and then your team has to leave for a place where no one cares about them, but they still manage to get the greatest player of all time to somehow coach them, and yet still no one cares.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #1843
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pumpy...I almost feel bad for what happened at Mellon Arena Wednesday night. Almost.
The Devils are in the tank. Hopefully, they get all this crappy play out of their system now, and then they can go back to their regular winning ways when the playoffs begin.

I'm grasping for any straws I can reach right now.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #1844
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Crazy game going on in Vancouver tonight. Luongo and Hiller are getting shelled and it's 5-5 after 2 periods. Would be a huge point for the Ducks, never mind 2 if they can get the win.

How odd. Both teams knuckle down and shut each other out in the third and in OT, so after 10 goals in the first 40 mins, this one ended up going to a shootout. Perry scores a huge five hole shot in the shootout, and Hiller is huge stopping all three 'Nucks to get us another critical two points, and back into #7 (we lost it momentarily when the Blues won earlier tonight).

Now a showdown with the Sharks at the Tank on Saturday. We have four of a max four so far on this trip; if we can get anything out of the meet with the Sharks, that would be one heck of a terrific and clutch road trip.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #1845
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Bruins lock up Thomas for 4 yrs $20 million. Not a bad deal for the B's, but he is 35 and I'm now a little worried about keeping Kessel and Krejci (not to mention Lucic and Wheeler afterwards).

Hopefully Rask doesn't get pissed off either and demand a trade. My guess is they'll start to slowly work Tuuka into the rotation with Thomas next season.

But overall it's good news for an awesome guy! One of the top goalies in the league signs for a relatively cheap deal.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 04-03-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #1846
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Hopefully Rask doesn't get pissed off either and demand a trade.
You'd have to be a total idiot to trade a guy like that.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #1847
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
You'd have to be a total idiot to trade a guy like that.

Completely agree, but how willing is he to backup Timmay for another 4 years.

Granted I imagine by the 3rd year it will be more of a platoon, but if I'm a stud like Rask I want to be in that crease the majority of the time.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #1848
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Trade him to the Flyers because after tonight I think Biron might get shot.

But with the way he is playing he'll dodge the bullet.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-03-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #1849
samifan24
Pro Starter

I like Thomas but am also worried about his age. Apparently the Bruins included several clauses by which they can minimize the damage his contract does if his play deteriorates quickly over the next few seasons. Obviously they're not counting on that happening, though.

I agree that Rask will take over for Fernandez next season and still see a lot of action. The Bruins know he is the future and can't afford to trade him.

Since you mentioned Kessel and Krejci, I too am wondering which one the Bruins will keep. I don't know that they can afford both in the long term.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #1850
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
What? The 'Canes won the cup, what, 3 years ago? Good grief man, how can you be jaded? Let your team win 1 playoff series in 20 years and lose several after being up 3 games to 1, then come talk to me about jaded. Oh ya, and then your team has to leave for a place where no one cares about them, but they still manage to get the greatest player of all time to somehow coach them, and yet still no one cares.

Well, I didn't say that anyone else couldn't be jaded or even more jaded than me, just that I was jaded.

And yes, I probably shouldn't feel that way given what happened in 2006, but that's a very bright blip in an otherwise dismal sporting landscape for me in quite some time. I think I didn't make clear that I was referencing the overall picture of all my sports teams, which leads to my doubts about any of them doing well at any one time. Let's see....

*2006 Stanley Cup win and 2002 Finals appearance for Carolina, but otherwise, nothing much to speak of including horrid teams in the pre-lockout years after 2002
*2003 Super Bowl appearance and 1996 and 2005 NFC championship appearances for the Panthers, but otherwise blah since 1995 including a 1-15 season
*2007 NL championship for Colorado, but otherwise a losing franchise that has only one other playoff appearance since 1993
*The Hornets got good, then the owner got stupid, moved the team, and now we have the Bobcats...at least they seem to be trying this year
*Then we come to NC State. The high points: 1983 NCAA basketball championship (now 26 years ago tomorrow), demolition of (in hindsight an overrated) Notre Dame in the 2002 Gator Bowl. Otherwise, no ACC championships in basketball since 1987, no ACC championships in football since 1979. An utterly disastrous decade in the 1990s in both sports and neither sport has really threatened to do anything special since the 1980s except for 2002 in football.

Yes, it'd be so much easier for me to root for the Red Wings, Yankees, Patriots, Lakers, and Tar Heels, but I like a hard life, I suppose.