Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #1801
whomario
Pro Starter

Were other teams really offering him 5 years though ? Plus Haslem has lived his whole life in Florida (born in Miami even), is propably marketable on a smaller basis there. I´d say that are ok reasons to take a contract that might be lower than elsewhere.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #1802
whomario
Pro Starter

Timberwolves are most likely shipping out Jefferson to Utah for their trade exception and propably not much more than a couple draftpicks ...

Then again they immediately gain tons of cap space again which they hopefully don´t spend but save up for another trade later.

Mavs sign Ian Mahinmi (spurs) for 2 years at the minimum, great signing for them. The kid can play, no idea why he didn´t get any burn with the Spurs even last year when it was clear he produced whenever he got a little time on the court.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-13-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #1803
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
hmmm, apparently this came straight from CP3's mouth at a toast for Melo's wedding. didn't necessarily mention NY, but he suggested starting their own big 3 of CP3, Melo and Amare. Amare is in NY now and ain't going anywhere for quite some time, so it looks like this could have some legs.

that'd be great - then the NBA could reduce itself down to a 2-market league.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #1804
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that'd be great - then the NBA could reduce itself down to a 2-market league.

Plus 3:3 basketball, NBA Jam 2.0 !
Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #1805
Anthony
Banned

i've always daid the league should contract about 6 teams, redistribute the talent among the surviving teams. much better product. Minny has no business having a bball team, Texas - while huge - can probably do with one mega Texan team. get rid of states with multiple teams. contract Golden State, Sacremento and Clippers, merge Miami into Orlando, get rid of Atlanta Hawks.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #1806
Anthony
Banned

regarding Big 3 2.0, Denver better look at what happened to Denver and Toronto and really ask Carmelo wants to sign that extension or not, and if not, move him. its a travesty that one of the biggest talents in the NBA only netted his team a few draft picks (and i think a trade exception). sure, i remember the days of lopsided sign and trades, but at least the team losing the player got a decent/useful body back. shit, even Memphis got Marc Gasol back, Minny got Al Jefferson in exchange for Garnett. so Denver better read the sign on the wall and get on top of this. Carmelo is a NY native and we got cap space. 2+2=4
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #1807
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
i've always daid the league should contract about 6 teams, redistribute the talent among the surviving teams. much better product. Minny has no business having a bball team, Texas - while huge - can probably do with one mega Texan team. get rid of states with multiple teams. contract Golden State, Sacremento and Clippers, merge Miami into Orlando, get rid of Atlanta Hawks.

agreed. get rid of stern. ditch toronto, memphis, charlotte and send okc back to seattle and i may start watching/giving a shit again.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #1808
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's no point in having a franchise in Cleveland. We can't get anything but second tier free agents, or players that desperately need money. I think that basketball in Cleveland will be dead by 2015. Diss the Comic Sans all you want, but Gilbert really wants to win. He's not going to take the financial losses and will either move the team or sell it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #1809
Anthony
Banned

fuck, i had mentioned ditching Toronto in a different forum but forgot to add them to the list. no good American player wants to play for Toronto - i think they have a higher tax rate, higher cost of living, bball isn't a passion like hockey is.

Memphis isn't a good market for bball. its NASCAR and football country. OKC doesn't have any other teams - i can see the advantage of being the only show in town but its just not a sports market and it aggravates me that Kevin Durant, only the best young player in the NBA, signed off on having 5 yrs of his prime wasted in that wasteland. Seattle is a market better suited for a bball team, with the Seahawks and Mariners in town its more a sports city.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-13-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #1810
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's no point in having a franchise in Cleveland. We can't get anything but second tier free agents, or players that desperately need money. I think that basketball in Cleveland will be dead by 2015. Diss the Comic Sans all you want, but Gilbert really wants to win. He's not going to take the financial losses and will either move the team or sell it.

but where could they go? if anyone is going to Vegas its the Maloof owned Sacramento Kings who own the Palms in Vegas. all the major markets are taken, unless Stern pulls a New Orleanss Hornets and gives Seattle a team back. what else? Pittsburgh? not exactly a basketball hotbed. that's a hockey and football town. Long Island, NY, where i live, if it was considered its own market would be the 4th largest market in the country. i just can't see NY having NYK, Brooklyn Commies and a 3rd team in Long Island. St. Louis?

at the end of the day Cavs were in Cleveland loooong before LBJ came. can't say just cuz they were gifted, i mean lucked into the #1 overall pick that was used to take Lebron doesn't mean that market should be so fickle now. he was never gonna play forever, what would've happened with life after Lebron 8-10 yrs from now?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #1811
Hoya1
High School JV

The basketball team in Toronto makes money. The games sell out. They were in the top half of league attendance.
Players may not want to play here, or rather have skepticism, but the fan base is hard core.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #1812
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Memphis isn't a good market for bball. its NASCAR and football country.

You lost me here. Memphis is first and foremost a basketball town. The problem is we have an owner that doesn't want to own the team and runs it like a business and is trying to make money. That is not the way to attract fans.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #1813
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
You lost me here. Memphis is first and foremost a basketball town. The problem is we have an owner that doesn't want to own the team and runs it like a business and is trying to make money. That is not the way to attract fans.

Yeah, how dare he try to make money. It's a good thing the players play for free...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #1814
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hate to break it to you, but you can say the same thing about most franchises. The Bulls have struck out on major free agents for over a decade now besides trying real hard. New York just struck out again.

Fact is that the last two huge free agent sessions ended up with small market teams winning the hunt (Orlando, Miami). So if the city of Cleveland will only support a team with the best player in the world on it, maybe they don't deserve one.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #1815
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
agreed. get rid of stern. ditch toronto, memphis, charlotte and send okc back to seattle and i may start watching/giving a shit again.
I'd say Toronto, Memphis, Indiana, New Orleans, Charlotte, and Miami could be contracted. Make the 1st round of the playoffs 5 games and cut the regular season to 70 games. Throw in a single-elimination tournament that is played throughout the season for the Stern Cup.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #1816
MikeVic
Head Coach

Some of these teams you guys are throwing out to contract are funnny.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #1818
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
How small are Orlando (19) and Miami (17) as media markets?

I'm not so sure they're "small" either. That said, based on your numbers there and assuming that the top media markets all have teams, it would seem likely some 16-18 NBA teams play in markets as big or bigger than the Heat and the Magic. That would make Miami and Orlando as rather mediocre in terms of market sizes across the league.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #1819
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
How small are Orlando (19) and Miami (17) as media markets?

About 2.5% of the U.S. households, or about the size of Philadelphia if you combined them. Or about the middle of the pack if we're talking about the NBA.
#17 and #19 respectively in terms of NBA market size. There are two markets without teams that are larger: Seattle (#11) and Tampa (#14), but I'm counting LA & NY w/ 2 teams each, so that's a wash in term of the TV rank vs their NBA rank.

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettr..._hh_by_dma.asp
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #1820
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Fact is that the last two huge free agent sessions ended up with small market teams winning the hunt (Orlando, Miami). So if the city of Cleveland will only support a team with the best player in the world on it, maybe they don't deserve one.

Weather + lack of state income tax in Florida make those two places very attractive spots for free agents, market be damned.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #1821
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

first thing i think of when i think about Memphis, TN is football. if you were to tell someone "give me the name of a city in the south that you most associate with basketball right off the top of your head", Memphis wouldn't crack the top 10. at least that's the impression here up north.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #1822
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Well, they moved Barbosa ($14 mil over the next two seasons) for Hedo ($40 over the next 4). In order to stay competitive, they needed a competent 4. They're options were to pay Barbosa $7 mil for 2 seasons and Amare $25 mil for 5 or Hedo $10 for 4 and Childress $6 for 5. I'd rather have Hedo and Childress for $16 than Amare+Barbosa for $32 next season (and even longer). Hedo was a 19-5-5 guy in Orlando when he was a part of their offense. He was just a bad match for Toronto. I have a hard time believing that Nash and the Suns can make Boris Diaw, Tim Thomas, Raja Bell, Matt Barnes, Q Richardson and J Richardson quality performers but won't be able to do the same with Hedo.

If they let Amare walk and didn't bring in a solid 4, they would have no chance at the playoffs. They should be 4-7 seed now with the team they have. Their window is about 3 seasons with Nash and they will have a lot of cap flexibility once that window ends. There's no reason not to make one more playoff run for the next few seasons with Nash.

even more amazing in all this is the Suns have no GM and no Asst. GM either.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #1823
Anthony
Banned

ok, Big Z is going to Miami. at what point does the league look into the shady business going down in South Beach?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #1824
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Z is worth the Veterans minimum. I'm a conspiracy guy, but I don't think he was underpaid at all.

Now if Dampier goes to Miami, I'm going to be pissed.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #1825
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
first thing i think of when i think about Memphis, TN is football. if you were to tell someone "give me the name of a city in the south that you most associate with basketball right off the top of your head", Memphis wouldn't crack the top 10. at least that's the impression here up north.

Of course, me, too. Cuz I think automatically of the huge pro football franchise in town. And the top ranked local college program.

Oh wait...

Only South cities I would sooner associate basketball with before Memphis would be Lexington, Louisville, and the Chapel Hill-Durham stretch. There are other good basketball cities in the South, but I don't think you could argue that any of them are basketball cities first over football cities (Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, Orlando, Miami, big college towns like Baton Rouge, Athens, Knoxville, Gainesville, Tallahassee, etc., these are all football towns first by a good margin).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #1826
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe some of these Europeans are more willing to play for the minimum this season, win a title (they hope), and then see how the labor situation plays out next season. A guy like Z may be willing to win a title and then go play in Europe or Russia for a few years for a bazillion dollars.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #1827
whomario
Pro Starter

oh no, a 35 year old center signing for the minimum ...

Come on now, veterans signing for cheap on contenders is hardly new. The guy made 55 million his previous contract, he´ll be fine without any shady busines i´d say

The Charlotte-Toronto trade got blown off by MJ, then they send Chandler and Ajinca (and a trade exception, seperate deals) to the Mavs for Dampier, Matt Carroll and Eddy Najera.

Last edited by whomario : 07-13-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #1828
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm not even sure you'd reach 10 Southern cities associated with basketball period.

Lexington, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Louisville, I guess Miami now, Orlando, ... that's 6.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #1829
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Z is worth the Veterans minimum. I'm a conspiracy guy, but I don't think he was underpaid at all.

Now if Dampier goes to Miami, I'm going to be pissed.

very sure a guy who played his whole career with the same team, if having to choose between getting the minimum from a new team or the minimum from his old team - will pick his old team. now, with Lebron no longer in CLE i'm sure there was more than enough money to go around where Big Z could've got more than just the minimum, especially if it meant keeping him off Lebron's new team.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #1830
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Z has one more run, so I won't bedgrudge him for following the follower down to miami. He'll work for the Cavs in some capacity when he retires(if he wants to).
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #1831
MrBug708
Head Coach

TMac is interested in the Lakers, though I'm not sure if he'd take an amount the Lakers can afford to give
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #1832
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Asik is an athletic (relatively speaking) energy guy. Strange pairing him up with Noah actually as they seem to pretty much share each other's strengths and weaknesses.
Apparently the Bulls have signed him??
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #1833
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Really, all of "the north" is that ignorant? U Memphis averages 16,500 a game... more than 11 NBA teams, and 3,500 more than St. Johns and Seton Hall combined. Like Jon said, there are maybe 6-7 spots in the south (and that's including Kentucky) that care about basketball even remotely close to football, and Memphis is definitely one of them.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #1834
Groundhog
Coordinator

Caracter and Ebanks both very impressive for the Lakers. Wouldn't be surprised if both guys made the roster.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #1835
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
ok, Big Z is going to Miami. at what point does the league look into the shady business going down in South Beach?

What I want to know is why the NBA Player's Association isn't kicking and screaming at this point.

It's a near certainty that the NBA owners want to cut back on player salaries next year and some of the best players in the NBA are sending a message that they agree with the owners by voluntarily taking less money.

This would never happen in baseball. Remember when Gene Orza (sp?) single-handedly killed the A-Rod trade to Boston? I also don't think this would happen in football, although it's harder to tell without guaranteed contracts.

Either way, the silence from the NBAPA's camp is deafening.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 07-13-2010 at 09:08 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #1836
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well the A-Rod trade to Boston dealt with reducing an already existing contract.

And while these players are taking less money(like I said they would and was shot down ), they are not necessarily taking less value. It's not like they'd take less money for any other situation. Players in all sports at times will accept less money for a more desirable situation. See just about every Patriots signing going back the last several years(from my Boston centric POV).

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-13-2010 at 09:26 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #1837
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Yeah, how dare he try to make money. It's a good thing the players play for free...

In sports, you worry about winning. If you win, you will make money as the fans will follow.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #1838
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Can I have some of what you're smoking? Memphis turns out a ton of basketball talent. At one point (this is about 15 years ago, back when I was playing), we were turning out as much talent as LA or NY on a per capita basis.

TN is a terrible state for football. There are some atheletes that come out of Memphis, but that is why Tennessee sucks ass in football right now. They cannot recruit out of state, and there isn't the talent in state.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #1839
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
In sports, you worry about winning. If you win, you will make money as the fans will follow.

Unless youre the Marlins or the Devils.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #1840
bhlloy
Coordinator

I really don't see this addition as a great move for the Heat. This is a guy that averaged 7 and 5 in 20+ minutes last year, did less than nothing in the playoffs and had some of the worst advanced stat measures on the entire team. It was pretty clear to me last year that the game had passed him by, another year isn't going to see any improvement.

I guess we'll wait and see what the financial terms are, but if this uses up most of the remaining cap space that the Heat have it's a huge flop IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #1841
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

He also has no lift, is probably slowed even more coming off the surgery, and doesn't address any of their defense/rebounding/3pt shooting needs.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #1842
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cleveland, where overpaying happens.

Kyle Lowry, 4/24.

shoot me in the face.

(this is the part where everyone will try to say how he's a good player, and ignore the fact that we already have 15m or so tied up in garbage PG's and can't afford another)

And just when I think we'd dodged the overspending lunatic owner phase.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #1843
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I really don't see this addition as a great move for the Heat. This is a guy that averaged 7 and 5 in 20+ minutes last year, did less than nothing in the playoffs and had some of the worst advanced stat measures on the entire team. It was pretty clear to me last year that the game had passed him by, another year isn't going to see any improvement.

I guess we'll wait and see what the financial terms are, but if this uses up most of the remaining cap space that the Heat have it's a huge flop IMO.

Well, let's put it this way; he's better than Joel Anthony.

Seriously though, Z is a great guy to have on a roster like that. He is an excellent passer for a big man out of the high post. One of the best in the league.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #1844
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Cleveland, where overpaying happens.

Kyle Lowry, 4/24.

shoot me in the face.

(this is the part where everyone will try to say how he's a good player, and ignore the fact that we already have 15m or so tied up in garbage PG's and can't afford another)

And just when I think we'd dodged the overspending lunatic owner phase.

Youch. I think $4m a year is fine for Lowry, but $6m is too much. UNLESS it means Mo Williams is gone. Which I doubt.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #1845
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's an offer sheet, too. Morey won't match this, he's way too smart.

1. Houston is getting in the Luxury tax neighborhood.
2. This establishes market value for Aaron Brooks. And you never want the backup to sign before the starter does. Morey probably wants to pound Brooks to like an 8m average, and there's no way it happens when his backup makes 6m.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #1846
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Well, let's put it this way; he's better than Joel Anthony.

Seriously though, Z is a great guy to have on a roster like that. He is an excellent passer for a big man out of the high post. One of the best in the league.

But in Cleveland he was playing with Shaq and Varejao, guys who can swallow up boards and give you some post defense and easy scoring inside.

While I am sure his role as a facilitator will be very useful with the scorers on the Heat, will it be enough to overcome the fact he gives you little in rebounding or post defense, which the Heat will desperately need from at least one of the two guys who are not Superfriends.

I do like Z--I just don't know that he's a great fit in Miami.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #1847
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I think Miami needs to be less concerned with what Z gives them on the offensive end and more with the fact that he doesn't answer any of the questions they still have. That team isn't going to be lacking for offense no matter who is at C.

FWIW, his advanced metrics and stats per 48 really weren't that much better than Anthony's last year.

If it's a minsal signing or close to it, meh. Not the worst deal in the world but if this is their big signing in the frontcourt and they're going after PG, I think that's a huge mistake.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #1848
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - wonder if the guy on basketball reference will be taking this down anytime soon

Quote:
Chuck Nicklow sponsor(s) this page.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas will end his career as one of the best and most beloved players in Cleveland Cavaliers history. The lanky Lithuanian will be the all time leader in games played and rebounds, and no one ever had more heart.

You can sponsor a page.
Page Expires: 2011-01-03 Alert Me!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #1849
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't hold anything against Z. He was planning on retiring this offseason originally, so if he wants to play for the minimum and get himself a ring, good for him IMO.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #1850
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, I think Miami needs to be less concerned with what Z gives them on the offensive end and more with the fact that he doesn't answer any of the questions they still have. That team isn't going to be lacking for offense no matter who is at C.

FWIW, his advanced metrics and stats per 48 really weren't that much better than Anthony's last year.

If it's a minsal signing or close to it, meh. Not the worst deal in the world but if this is their big signing in the frontcourt and they're going after PG, I think that's a huge mistake.

Z has to be minsal, they don't have any cap room. The alternative is Joel Anthony or worse. With zero cap room, it's a good signing IMO. Is he perfect? No. But he's the best they can do given the circumstances.

Last edited by Groundhog : 07-14-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote