Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #1801
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Tywin overplayed his hand. He had everything lined up, but he didn't anticipate that Tyrion had feelings for Shae and that her betrayal would blow up his plans. The staredown between himself and Tyrion at the end was great.

Well, only one person in the whole realm really truly loves Tyrion and would defend his honor regardless. Of course, Jaime would probably be killed by whoever stood for the crown and with one decision, Tywin loses both his sons.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #1802
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Well, only one person in the whole realm really truly loves Tyrion and would defend his honor regardless. Of course, Jaime would probably be killed by whoever stood for the crown and with one decision, Tywin loses both his sons.

So I've been thinking of who Tyrion will call on. Jaime is the obvious frontrunner but I almost wonder if that could work out differently.

Maybe Jaime cant because of some technicality around being in employment of the crown (of course, if he does what his father says, he will have to renounce himself at some point anyway...so could be a reason he actually fights for his brother). So Bronn (I think?) might be the 1st alternate. But where is he?

Pure speculation here as I dont know the story....
Spoiler
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #1803
DanGarion
Coordinator

Oh I thought that Tyrion would actually have to fight the battle himself and he would have to fight Jaime. But what do I know.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #1804
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Oh I thought that Tyrion would actually have to fight the battle himself and he would have to fight Jaime. But what do I know.

Eh, remember how Bronn fought for him at the Eyrie. It's custom to have a champion fight for you and the gods determine innocent/guilt by the winner.

In other words, a champion is like a lawyer, but he dies if he loses.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #1805
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Eh, remember how Bronn fought for him at the Eyrie. It's custom to have a champion fight for you and the gods determine innocent/guilt by the winner.

In other words, a champion is like a lawyer, but he dies if he loses.

Yeah, I remember that now.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #1806
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Tywin overplayed his hand. He had everything lined up, but he didn't anticipate that Tyrion had feelings for Shae and that her betrayal would blow up his plans.

I thought Tyrion was trying to get her to shut up because his father had promised to "hang the next whore" he found Tyrion with...

Tyrion was trying to protect her, imo...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #1807
thesloppy
Pro Starter

A Lannister trial seems like a pretty bad deal....like, you apparently don't get to call on any of your own witnesses, or speak at all in your own defense. On the other hand, the defendant can apparently declare to have the verdict decided by someone else's combat, at any time up to the final ruling, or during the ruling itself, and possibly for a short time afterwards.

The realms legal system could probably use a few tweaks.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-13-2014 at 12:34 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #1808
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
A Lannister trial seems like a pretty bad deal....like, you apparently don't get to call on any of your own witnesses, or speak at all in your own defense. On the other hand, the defendant can apparently declare to have the verdict decided by someone else's combat, at any time up to the final ruling, or during the ruling itself, and possibly for a short time afterwards.

The realms legal system could probably use a few tweaks.
hehe....yeah I found it to be quite an odd evolution of a legal system even for a madeup world with madeup physical boundaries. Its basically just a bunch of people spouting off unsubstantiated grievances of all sorts.

But in theory, if the 2 greatest warriors in the world decided to just be assholes to everybody else...rape, steal, murder, etc...they could. And all they need to do is call each other as their champion at trial.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #1809
MrBug708
Head Coach

You can call on them, but they do not have to agree to fight for you.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #1810
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post

But in theory, if the 2 greatest warriors in the world decided to just be assholes to everybody else...rape, steal, murder, etc...they could. And all they need to do is call each other as their champion at trial.

Wasn't that the definition of the Middle Ages?
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1811
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Love the little dig by Tywin to Jaime.

You will marry a suitable woman and father children named Lannister!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #1812
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
I thought Tyrion was trying to get her to shut up because his father had promised to "hang the next whore" he found Tyrion with...

Tyrion was trying to protect her, imo...

Really? I thought he was devastated by Shae's betrayal. He was all ready to go along with Jaime's plan when she showed up and started laying into Tyrion. He snapped.

It's interesting too, since during the breakfast before Joffrey's wedding, I remember Cersei pointing Shae to Tywin, and he told her to bring Shae to him. Obviously Tywin and Cersei put the screws on to Shae to testify and lie.

Sad sad Tyrion. He was a broken man as soon as she walked into the courtroom.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #1813
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
You can call on them, but they do not have to agree to fight for you.

You can still fight for yourself. So one of the two greatest swordsmen could just fight his own battles as he does what he wants.

Now, he might come across a faceless man at some point....

Last edited by Grammaticus : 05-13-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #1814
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
You can still fight for yourself. So one of the two greatest swordsmen could just fight his own battles as he does what he wants.

Now, he might come across a faceless man at some point....

I think the idea was that if the other guy is fighting FOR him, there's no way he has to fight AGAINST that guy, in case his opposition could convince the other greatest swordsmen in the world to be their champion.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #1815
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I loved the dying farmer scene. That actor starred in a filmed version of Waiting for Godot and the dialogue in GoT was very Beckettian.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #1816
Jas_lov
College Starter

They should have stuck with "Only Cat" when LF threw Lysa out the moon door.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #1817
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Meh, it worked.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #1818
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Curious as to where they're going to go with the fact that there was no one there to witness/pin it on. Just ignoring it seems to be a fairly decent sized plot hole.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #1819
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Curious as to where they're going to go with the fact that there was no one there to witness/pin it on. Just ignoring it seems to be a fairly decent sized plot hole.

Did you see the preview for next week? It appears that "Allayne" will be giving testimony.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #1820
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

What is Robin going to do for lunch now?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #1821
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
What is Robin going to do for lunch now?
lol...another spoiled little bastard (if not literally, at least figuratively).

I wasn't expecting to see that happen so soon myself. I thought we'd get a series of Sansa scenes where she's being abused by Lysa for all the odd thoughts that creep in her crazy skull.

I have to say, Sansa is probably the luckiest person in this story so far. She got saved by the Hound from being raped, saved by Tyrion at (her?) wedding, saved by Petyr from whatever would happen to her by the entitled brat Robin. This girl is definitely the complete & polar opposite (or Stark contrast, forgive the pun) to her sister Arya, who essentially makes her own "luck" happen.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #1822
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That scene between Tyrion and the Red Viper was one of the best ever. Just amazing acting by both actors there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #1823
stevew
Hall Of Famer

going to be rough to have to wait an extra week for the next episode.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #1824
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did you see the preview for next week? It appears that "Allayne" will be giving testimony.

Yeah, but whodunit? Without a third party there, I'm intrigued by how they'll explain what happened behind closed doors.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #1825
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate that Emilia Clarke has probably put the kibosh on all future nude scenes.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #1826
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You can just rewatch her old ones if you really are sad about it
Old 05-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #1827
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, but whodunit? Without a third party there, I'm intrigued by how they'll explain what happened behind closed doors.

TRIAL BY COMBAT! Obviously, you take all the possible perpetrators, make them fight each other (or their champions), and the one that lives totally didn't do it.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-19-2014 at 06:13 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #1828
Jas_lov
College Starter

Shame to see Oberyn go. He was one of the better characters but the fight delivered. Scenes at the Vale with Sansa were good, scenes with Grey Worm were awful.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #1829
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well that was some nice nightmare fuel right there
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #1830
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wish I had HBO Go or that HBO didn't wait until next year to release the series on blu-ray
Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #1831
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

Huh. Interesting twist on the story, and well played by the actors involved. Not sure I like it from a plot hole perspective though....
Old 06-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #1832
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Well that was some nice nightmare fuel right there

it sure was... I may have woken up others in the house with my rather loud visceral reaction to that.

Great episode. Best Sansa scene of the show so far I think? And as always, absolutely every second Arya is on screen is a joy.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #1833
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Shades of Inigo Montoya on the fight scene. Pretty cool.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #1834
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What is nightmare fuel? Oberyn's head? Or just the eyes?

I'm surprised you guys are reacting that way. This show does disgusting death all the time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #1835
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Oberyn's head? Or just the eyes?

The fingers in the eyes thing is a bit of a trigger to begin with, that's always going to elicit a very strong reaction from me. I think the sounds added to the effect. While there are lots of neat "holy shit!" moments in the show, frequently over a death, my reaction to this one was just more intense. Maybe Viserys? That one made me cringe a little bit. But this was definitely more intense.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #1836
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
The fingers in the eyes thing is a bit of a trigger to begin with, that's always going to elicit a very strong reaction from me. I think the sounds added to the effect. While there are lots of neat "holy shit!" moments in the show, frequently over a death, my reaction to this one was just more intense. Maybe Viserys? That one made me cringe a little bit. But this was definitely more intense.

True, Viserys's death was brutal.

I guess I just don't put Oberyn's death scene on that same level. Honestly, it wasn't even the most disturbing thing in the episode. That honor goes to the flayed man.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-02-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #1837
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Arya just completely losing it in a fit of laughter was utterly perfect.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #1838
Groundhog
Coordinator

The actor that played Oberyn absolutely killed it. As good a casting job as any in the show. Even having read the books, that was... something else.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #1839
SteveMax58
College Starter

Wow, didnt see some of those things coming. More questions than answers at this point (which of course will keep me watching as they intended).

Sansa, I figured would bail out Littlefinger but didnt expect her to shift into what seems to be the seductress role. Not that it doesnt add up, just didnt see it coming. Will be interesting to see her reunited with Arya....could not be any more contrast to these 2 sisters other than they have grown up amid the chaos & have hardened a bit.

Oberyn...flat out awesome but really sad to see him go. I thought he was going to takeout Tywin with the spear before finishing off the Mountain. Will be interesting to see what happens next with Tyrion.

Sir Jorah (I think?) makes a lot of sense & seems too obvious in hindsight but I didnt expect that one either. Not sure if his story pretty much tails off or if there is more to him but an interesting character I thought.

Great episode in all.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #1840
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
True, Viserys's death was brutal.

I guess I just don't put Oberyn's death scene on that same level. Honestly, it wasn't even the most disturbing thing in the episode. That honor goes to the flayed man.

ymmv, but nothing they've showed or showed just off screen in the entire length of the show has got nearly that reaction in our house. Give me an already flayed man over that shit any day.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #1841
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
...an already flayed man...

I think this is the key. The flaying happened off-screen, so it's much easier to write that off as just a gruesome dummy/makeup job. The live action of Oberyn's head exploding...eesh.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #1842
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I think this is the key. The flaying happened off-screen, so it's much easier to write that off as just a gruesome dummy/makeup job. The live action of Oberyn's head exploding...eesh.

Plus the fact that he had won and his loved one had to witness. Although I had a bad feeling as soon as he kept dancing around yelling.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #1843
Kodos
Resident Alien

He'd obviously never watched a Jason movie. He's not dead until you've chopped him into a million pieces.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #1844
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Although I had a bad feeling as soon as he kept dancing around yelling.

Ditto. Wife and I kept saying "just finish him!". What a brutal way to go.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #1845
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

*note to self: when in a fight to the death, dont gloat, brag, or showboat, just finish the fucker off. ill have to remember that in my next duel
Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #1846
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Me at end of episode:

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #1847
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Oberyn should have watched out for that right cross. It really landed.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #1848
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

One thing that I don't like about GoT is every character that becomes interesting seems to die.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #1849
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
*note to self: when in a fight to the death, dont gloat, brag, or showboat, just finish the fucker off. ill have to remember that in my next duel

He went full-on Bond villain monologue.

Never monologue.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #1850
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Me at end of episode:

Damn. Thought something was about to go sour once Oberyn kept on going and going about his sister. I really liked his character as well.

Really curious to see if Jamie helps out Tyrion somehow now that he's been found guilty.