Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #18401
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I find it amusing that Beyonce's PR flak is trying to get her unflattering action photos (isn't that redundant) removed. Maybe if she wasn't up there for the whole world to see dressed like a two-bit whore and pretending to act like a rock star, then perhaps there wouldn't be as many unflattering photos aroung teh internets.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #18402
DanGarion
Coordinator

Is there really an accurate source saying that her PR people want them removed?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #18403
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Is there really an accurate source saying that her PR people want them removed?

Does Gawker count as an accurate source?

'Unflattering' Beyonce photos: singer's PR asks for removal | News | The Week UK

If it is true, how the hell does someone get a pr job without knowing about the Streisand Effect?

Last edited by mckerney : 02-07-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #18404
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Streisand Effect?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #18405
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Streisand Effect?

Streisand effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Streisand effect is the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide or remove a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet. The term is a modern expression of the older phenomenon that banning or censoring something often makes that item or information more desirable, and leads to it being actively sought out to a greater extent than it would have otherwise been.

It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose attempt in 2003 to suppress photographs of her residence inadvertently generated further publicity. Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters, to suppress numbers, files and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity and media extensions such as videos and spoof songs, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.[1][2]
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #18406
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Ignore that haters. This is the only pic that made me laugh in the last several pages!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #18407
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Ignore that haters. This is the only pic that made me laugh in the last several pages!

Pictures of dead animals are about as funny as those of dead people. Keep being douchy.

This type of disregard for the life of an animal tells me everything I need to know about you.

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-08-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #18408
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Pictures of dead animals are about as funny as those of dead people. Keep being douchy.

This type of disregard for the life of an animal tells me everything I need to know about you.

You're weird.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #18409
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
You're weird.

Yes because I think dead animals aren't funny. It takes a sick person to think a picture of a dead animal is funny.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #18410
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes because I think dead animals aren't funny. It takes a sick person to think a picture of a dead animal is funny.

I think you're making the leap of equating finding a picture funny, to getting enjoyment out of harming animals. Which is a rather bizarre leap to make.

Raccoon is dead man, aint nothing anybody does after that fact gonna change it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #18411
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Brett Keisel does a charity event each year to "shear the beard"

Before

After

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #18412
RedKingGold
College Starter

Picture of shorn beards are just not funny. Way to be douchey Suburban.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #18413
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

I know, right? Tells me all I need to know about you, man.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #18414
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I think you're making the leap of equating finding a picture funny, to getting enjoyment out of harming animals. Which is a rather bizarre leap to make.

Raccoon is dead man, aint nothing anybody does after that fact gonna change it.
Harming animals or not, dead pictures of them aren't interesting, cool, or funny.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #18415
Kodos
Resident Alien

Guessing you didn't enjoy Weekend At Bernie's then?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #18416
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
I know, right? Tells me all I need to know about you, man.

If I point out "No beards were hurt in the making of these pictures" is it better?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #18417
lungs
Pro Rookie

I see dead animals pretty much every day. I'm going to start taking pictures of them and posting them here in honor of Dan.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #18418
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

It's interesting how the same board members are always being "offended" or boxed or involved in controversy and can't understand why nobody takes them seriously. The picture is not that big of a deal. Not cool or funny but neither is 99% of this thread. Who cares? I read for 1% and the hot chick pic's before they get removed.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #18419
DougW
High School Varsity

DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #18420
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozias View Post
Side boobs are something us puritans can't stand to see, so it had to be removed.

This should be "ok" though, as she doesn't show much of anything, not even a smile.

Does she ever smile?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #18421
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #18422
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
It's interesting how the same board members are always being "offended" or boxed or involved in controversy and can't understand why nobody takes them seriously. The picture is not that big of a deal. Not cool or funny but neither is 99% of this thread. Who cares? I read for 1% and the hot chick pic's before they get removed.

Considering the only posts that I ever said I find offensive are ones posted with pictures of dead animals I don't see the issue. It's tasteless to find comedy in the death of a animal. Take me seriously or not I really don't care, that's your choice, just like it's mine when I interact with anyone on here.

Is the picture a big deal? In the grand scheme of things no. But if we are going to be deleting pictures of women because they might be offensive to someone that might see the picture because I'm looking at this thread then we might as well delete pictures such as the one in question because I guarantee it offends many more people. It's basic respect of life.

Don't worry I won't be complaining about dead animal pictures anymore since evidently I'm one of the few that feel this way that is willing to bring it up.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #18423
RedKingGold
College Starter

Does that mean you'll stop beating that poor horse too?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #18424
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Considering the only posts that I ever said I find offensive are ones posted with pictures of dead animals I don't see the issue. It's tasteless to find comedy in the death of a animal. Take me seriously or not I really don't care, that's your choice, just like it's mine when I interact with anyone on here.

Is the picture a big deal? In the grand scheme of things no. But if we are going to be deleting pictures of women because they might be offensive to someone that might see the picture because I'm looking at this thread then we might as well delete pictures such as the one in question because I guarantee it offends many more people. It's basic respect of life.

Don't worry I won't be complaining about dead animal pictures anymore since evidently I'm one of the few that feel this way that is willing to bring it up.

Maybe I am confused (no sarcasm intended I am a very casual FOFC reader outside of the politics, college basketball, and dynasty threads) but haven't you been suspended over the images thread before? Again if I have confused you with another poster than I apologize.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #18425
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Does she ever smile?

seriously! i cannot stand when girls do the pouty/stern/angry look! you are hot and gorgeous...what do you possibly have to be so pissed off about that you cant smile when you get your picture taken?!!!
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #18426
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
seriously! i cannot stand when girls do the pouty/stern/angry look! you are hot and gorgeous...what do you possibly have to be so pissed off about that you cant smile when you get your picture taken?!!!

Well I would imagine she isn't super excited about whatever she has going with scarecrow. Her own fault for sure but I could understand her not smiling.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #18427
Suicane75
Coordinator

Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #18428
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Maybe I am confused (no sarcasm intended I am a very casual FOFC reader outside of the politics, college basketball, and dynasty threads) but haven't you been suspended over the images thread before? Again if I have confused you with another poster than I apologize.

Yes, I've complained about the lack of communication, and the inconsistencies. No lies about that. Once posting a pic that was considered passed the line (years ago), and twice being an asshat.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #18429
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

FAP-tastic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #18430
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Did you report the raccoon photo? If nobody reports it, it won't be evaluated, so it's not really valid to compare it to the hot chick photos, which someone does report.

I didn't think the raccoon photo was funny either, but I've long ago recognized that I'm much more sensitive to such things than the average person. So I just try to avoid them. I didn't report it either, because it's just my own personal viewpoint that makes it offensive, it doesn't have to do with anyone else, and it's not going to get me in trouble at work or anything.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #18431
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Brett Keisel does a charity event each year to "shear the beard"

Before

After

If I was him teammate I don't think I'd know who he was.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #18432
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Did you report the raccoon photo? If nobody reports it, it won't be evaluated, so it's not really valid to compare it to the hot chick photos, which someone does report.

I didn't think the raccoon photo was funny either, but I've long ago recognized that I'm much more sensitive to such things than the average person. So I just try to avoid them. I didn't report it either, because it's just my own personal viewpoint that makes it offensive, it doesn't have to do with anyone else, and it's not going to get me in trouble at work or anything.

Nope, I didn't, I figured we could do a little self policing, but that doesn't appear to work much around here. I did report the hilarious picture of the child foaming at the mouth with the dead goose.

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-08-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #18433
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The argument always ends up being that either people might get in trouble for viewing objectionable material at work or that objectionable material may lead to the site being blocked by work filters.

Reason No. 1 of many why I will never be a moderator: Shut the fuck up and do your job that obviously doesn't include fucking off on the Internet all damn day or your boss wouldn't be so worried about questionable material or installing filters to stop you from playing grab ass all day.

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #18434
kcchief19
Pro Starter

And for what it's worth there are many sensibilities around the world. If I worked at an animal shelter and my boss walked by while I had a dead animal on screen, I'd be just as fired if I worked at the widget factory and somebody walked by my computer and saw side boob.

Actually, in that case, the dead animal would be much worse.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #18435
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Nope, I didn't, I figured we could do a little self policing, but that doesn't appear to work much around here. I did report the hilarious picture of the child foaming at the mouth with the dead goose.

Pretty sure you handled it the way you did to create as much drama as possible over the situation.

I don't find pictures of dead animals funny either, but there's no reason to create needless drama (you're probably bored). Report it and move on if it offends you to that level.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #18436
Danny
Head Coach

And I am not trying to be a jerk, just letting you know how it appears from an outside perspective.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #18437
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Never understood the policing of this thread at all. Why not end the thread title with NSFW and just never visit this thread if you are at the work place. With all the devices we have on hand today, I never understood why this site/thread needs to be viewed on the work computer.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #18438
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Never understood the policing of this thread at all. Why not end the thread title with NSFW and just never visit this thread if you are at the work place. With all the devices we have on hand today, I never understood why this site/thread needs to be viewed on the work computer.

Because people are growing old and cranky
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #18439
Izulde
Head Coach

That's a good point, actually. Why not make a NSFW version and a SFW version?

That way everybody's happy.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #18440
Critch
lolzcat

The thread could be improved by deleting any post that doesnt have an image. Too much talkie, not enough pickie.

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #18441
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Snake with foot found in China

That's one way to respond to fear, don't frighten her.

That's freaky if it's true and not some Chinese fakey thing.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #18442
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
That's a good point, actually. Why not make a NSFW version and a SFW version?

That way everybody's happy.

I think BEL has addressed this already. Any links or pics in any thread could cause damage to the entire board or its access to it from certain places.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #18443
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Pretty sure you handled it the way you did to create as much drama as possible over the situation.

I don't find pictures of dead animals funny either, but there's no reason to create needless drama (you're probably bored). Report it and move on if it offends you to that level.

Yup.

Dan could've just reported it quietly, but instead wanted to also whine about how unfair the board is.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #18444
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #18445
flounder
High School Varsity

notdorner.jpg
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #18446
21C
College Prospect

More here
VeryBritishProblems (SoVeryBritish) on Twitter
Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #18447
bhlloy
Coordinator

This is the truest and funniest thing I've read in a while, thanks for posting that
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #18450
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post

#1 happens to me all the time thanks to being hard of hearing.

#2 I've had happen as well, or I'll be in the right place, but they won't have what I'm looking for, so I feel like I have to browse some more before wandering out.

I also do the second to last one and always have to my tongue to keep from saying something to them. Line jumpers are a huge pet peeve of mine.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote