Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #18251
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Wasn't it an option for the states if they came up with an alternate plan and something that had been requested by Republican governors, including Mitt Romney?

Not only that, bit if I understand it right in order to get the waiver they had to actually exceed the federal govt. requirements
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #18252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This really isn't an Obama thing, not best I can tell anyway. But darned if I know of another thread to put it in & I don't really think it warrants a thread of its own.

As I read the story -- about the inefficiencies in the anti-terrorist "fusion centers" set up to allow authorities at levels from local to national share info more easily -- there were issues from day one under Bush, those problems continued through the current administration and that neither side of the aisle in Congress seems likely to do much (or anything) about the whole mess.

My Way News - Intelligence effort named citizens, not terrorists

FWIW, the headline is a bit misleading IMO, that's just one tidbit from a broader report. The financial end of it was considerably more interesting to me, at least interesting enough to pass along for those who might not have seen it.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #18253
JediKooter
Coordinator

Mo. Rep. Akin failed to report state pension - Yahoo! News

Why bother even trying if you know your party is going to end up supporting you anyway?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #18254
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Mo. Rep. Akin failed to report state pension - Yahoo! News

Why bother even trying if you know your party is going to end up supporting you anyway?

I think at this point he could come out as gay and the party would still support him just because they need the seat to flip.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #18255
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think at this point he could come out as gay and the party would still support him just because they need the seat to flip.

Exactly. He's pretty much scott free at this point. He could kill a truck load of puppies being driven by nuns while he was drunk and he'd still be backed by the GOP.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #18256
molson
General Manager

Quote:
He could kill a truck load of puppies being driven by nuns while he was drunk.

That'd be a great Law & Order episode.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #18257
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That'd be a great Law & Order episode.

Haha! Who do I need to send the script to?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #18258
JediKooter
Coordinator

Republicans out Democrat in 'World of Warcraft' witch hunt - InGame on NBCNews.com

Seriously, if this is all we have to worry about from a candidate, then we need more candidates like her.

What next GOP? Harry Potter readers are satan worshipers?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #18259
JediKooter
Coordinator

New noncitizen voter purge has its own problems, county elections officials say - Tampa Bay Times

Keep chasing down those fraudulent voters, GOP, like Don Quixote slaying windmills. Keep up the good fight!!

Last edited by JediKooter : 10-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #18260
Edward64
Head Coach

With friends (dictators) like this, who needs friends.

http://times247.com/articles/obama-r...hree-dictators
Quote:
The latest [dictator] to publicly announce his support for the commander-in-chief’s reelection bid was Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, who this week assured he’d vote for Obama if he were from the United States. The America-bashing strongman made the announcement on state-owned television, saying “Obama is a good guy” and that if Obama was from Caracas, he’d surely return the favor by voting for Chavez.

Earlier in the year the government-official daughter of Cuban military dictator Raul Castro proclaimed her country’s support for Obama during a visit to the U.S. “I believe that Obama needs another opportunity and he needs greater support to move forward with his projects and with his ideas, which I believe come from the bottom of his heart,” Mariela Castro said during a cable news interview. ...

That brings us to Russia’s Vladimir Putin, who has eliminated most elections in his country, monopolized all major media and destroyed the political party system. ... In a letter to a major newspaper, the president of a group dedicated to expanding freedom around the world points out that under Putin there has been an “across-the-board crackdown on civil society.” The piece goes on to ask: “Will Obama stand up against Putin’s abuses?” Unlikely, now that the Russian dictator has extended his endorsement.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #18261
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
With friends (dictators) like this, who needs friends.

http://times247.com/articles/obama-r...hree-dictators

Well, according to the GOP propaganda, he probably will be able to vote.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #18262
Edward64
Head Coach

Globe view of the candidates. Its interesting why France is so pro-Obama. I suspect its more they view Romney as second coming of Reagan.

Obama Has Massive Lead in Global Poll | The Weekly Standard
Quote:
It is not even close: In a world poll of the U.S. presidential race, President Barack Obama is the clear favorite over Governor Mitt Romney. By a margin of 50-9 percent, Obama is favored in the poll of 21,797 respondents in 21 countries around the world.

"France was the most strongly pro-Obama (72%)," according to the BBC. The only country that would select Romney over Obama is Pakistan, though neither candidate gets more than 20 percent of the support in that country.

And the country where Romney polls the highest? Kenya. But even there, Romney's support does not even eclipse the 20 percent mark.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #18263
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think this is as much a name recognition thing. Generally positive view + known candidate = winner over unknown challenger.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #18264
JediKooter
Coordinator

For the people who think that people collecting unemployment are a drain on the 'system', looks like (if the data is correct) that's not really the case.

Percentage of claims that were fraudulent from 1989 to 2011 is less than 3%. Fraud is bad, but, a percentage that low is a good thing.

More People Eschew Jobless Benefits Than Scam System - Yahoo! Finance

Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #18265
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think this is as much a name recognition thing. Generally positive view + known candidate = winner over unknown challenger.I

In England at least Romney made such a prat of himself on his visit thats likely the reason he's viewed as a well .... prat .....

Romney in London Olympics Blunder

My personal favorite was Mitt Romney addressing Ed Miliband as 'Mr Leader'.

If I remember right his tour wasn't particularly great publicity for him where-ever he went ..

After gaffe filled foreign tour Europe asks is Romney a loser?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #18266
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For the people who think that people collecting unemployment are a drain on the 'system', looks like (if the data is correct) that's not really the case.

Percentage of claims that were fraudulent from 1989 to 2011 is less than 3%. Fraud is bad, but, a percentage that low is a good thing.

More People Eschew Jobless Benefits Than Scam System - Yahoo! Finance

3%?!? That's even more efficient than I would have thought. It would cost more to go after the offenders than you would recoup.

SI

Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #18267
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
3%?!? That's even more efficient than I would have thought. It would cost more to go after the offenders than you would recoup.

SI

You mean like how drug testing people receiving welfare benefits was supposed to root out fraud, but has ended up costing more than has been saved?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #18268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or some parallel about rooting out voter fraud?

SI

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #18269
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You mean like how drug testing people receiving welfare benefits was supposed to root out fraud, but has ended up costing more than has been saved?

You forget in Florida at least that wasn't the intent of the drug testing at all - the fact that the company doing the testing was heavily linked to the congressman involved was purely coincidental and I'm sure he didn't benefit from it at all (cough).
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #18270
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
You forget in Florida at least that wasn't the intent of the drug testing at all - the fact that the company doing the testing was heavily linked to the congressman involved was purely coincidental and I'm sure he didn't benefit from it at all (cough).

One of the firms set to do drug testing had been owned by Governor Rick Scott, but there was no conflict of interest because ownership had been transferred to his wife.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #18271
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

SI

I was surprised by that number as well. Plus, if you add in the amount that people don't claim (which the article said was 7 times more than how many are committing fraud), the program is making money.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #18272
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
One of the firms set to do drug testing had been owned by Governor Rick Scott, but there was no conflict of interest because ownership had been transferred to his wife.

I presume that was said with sarcasm?

(because obviously any money that my wife might earn wouldn't ever be to my advantage .... well in my case it probably wouldn't be as she's undoubtably spend it on bits of tat for the house ... or 'decorations' as she calls them )
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #18273
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

(because obviously any money that my wife might earn wouldn't ever be to my advantage .... well in my case it probably wouldn't be as she's undoubtably spend it on bits of tat for the house ... or 'decorations' as she calls them )

For some reason this sounded a whole lot more interesting before you translated it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #18274
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #18275
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is not the Onion, although it would fit right in there.

Ex-FEMA director Michael Brown criticizes Obama for reacting too quickly to storm | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Former FEMA director Michael Brown, who was heavily criticized for the agency's failure to prepare for Hurricane Katrina, has criticized President Obama for responding to Hurricane Sandy too early.

In an interview with Denver Westword, Brown said, "One thing [President Obama's] gonna be asked is, why did he jump on [Hurricane Sandy] so quickly and go back to D.C. so quickly when in ... Benghazi, he went to Las Vegas? Why was this so quick? ... At some point, somebody's going to ask that question."

Brown said the president may have had a more positive effect had he waited until Sunday afternoon to address the storm instead of holding a press conference that morning.

Brown's insinuation that Obama responded too early is a gutsy move considering his role in the 2005 disaster. Brown, who was famously called "Brownie" by President George W. Bush, was seen as a symbol of government failure to protect and evacuate people from the path of Katrina.

In emails he wrote that later became public, Brown came off as inexperienced and uncaring. On the morning of the hurricane, Brown wrote, "Can I quit now? Can I come home?" to Cindy Taylor, FEMA's deputy director of public affairs. Later, in a separate email, he wrote, "I'm trapped now, please rescue me."

Brown resigned from his FEMA position a short time later. He now co-hosts a program on Denver talk radio.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-31-2012 at 07:07 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #18276
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is the next article on the page Uwe Boll complaining about how James Cameron makes too much money with his movies?

SI

Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #18277
JediKooter
Coordinator

Brown complaining about how Obama handled this is like a child molester giving parenting advice.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #18278
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Brown complaining about how Obama handled this is like a child molester giving parenting advice.

Win.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #18279
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

QOTDecade
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #18280
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
To put it in a bit of perspective, it was at about this point, two days after Katrina hit, that Brown sent the email stating he, quote, "felt trapped as head of FEMA. Please rescue me."
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #18281
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
In other news, my grandmother called me for one last push. Asked if I was curious why Obama hadn't presented his certificate, wondered if everyone knew he was Muslim, and finally opined that it was strange he hadn't been assassinated yet.

Got to love old people

This is from another thread but I think the topic fits better here.

I suspect the assassination threat and rhetoric will really ramp up over the next 6 months if Obama wins re-election.

Over the last year and a half the "vote 'em out" option was on the table. But if he wins, that's not on the table any more.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-06-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #18282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish that someone could chronicle the amount of racist texts sent in the last 48 months. I'm sure we leveled off some time in mid 2010, but I imagine we're up for all manner of inappropriate jokes and hack racial comedy as early as tonight.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #18283
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wish that someone could chronicle the amount of racist texts sent in the last 48 months. I'm sure we leveled off some time in mid 2010, but I imagine we're up for all manner of inappropriate jokes and hack racial comedy as early as tonight.

Zero in my neck of the woods, though I imagine all of us here live in different worlds. Out here, I'm looking to see if I can find a Romney / Ryan sticker on any car, ever.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #18284
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

We're almost 375 pages into this thread...if we do end up with 4 more years are we going to see this become an ~800 page thread?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #18285
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or we could just create a second term thread. But I think we're getting a bit ahead of things

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #18286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
We're almost 375 pages into this thread...if we do end up with 4 more years are we going to see this become an ~800 page thread?

You mean, if he doesn't get to destroy the country as soon as the election is over....right?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #18287
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You mean, if he doesn't get to destroy the country as soon as the election is over....right?

I don't know, I've been reading all week on facebook that Romney will destroy the country pretty much right away too. Clearly either outcome will result in the end of the United States.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #18288
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know, I've been reading all week on facebook that Romney will destroy the country pretty much right away too. Clearly either outcome will result in the end of the United States.

Well, we've had a good run

SI

Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #18289
Easy Mac

Pretty sure Mormons are just re-incarnated Mayans.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #18290
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Does that mean we get a new calendar soon and the world won't end in December?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #18291
Edward64
Head Coach

Here we go ... hopefully we get a decision tonight.

Two term presidency or regulated to the lower half of presidents.

FWIW - I like this thread, it shows continuity and allows easy reference.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #18292
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Duh, guys the world is going to end in December no matter who wins.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #18293
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

For entertainment purposes only, if Romney wins Obama should pull a Palin & just resign. Then we get a few months of President Biden!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #18294
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I think both are still very possible.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #18295
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Those are not mutually exclusive.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #18296
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Those are not mutually exclusive.

43 is living proof.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #18297
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
43 is living proof.

This.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #18298
korme
Go Reds

How many posts will this thread have by 2016? 30,000? 35,000?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #18299
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
How many posts will this thread have by 2016? 30,000? 35,000?

Unless there's a new FOF game, I'd guess term 2 will get way fewer posts than term 1. We're losing posters but not gaining any.

Last edited by molson : 11-06-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #18300
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, I got what I wanted and Healthcare Reform is saved and will continue. I get I will be paying more taxes but I'm okay with it, a fair trade in my mind.

Congratulations to Obama and the Democratic party.