Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #1751
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds about right, considering the OR devkit2 is going for $350
Old 03-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #1752
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of chatter about the X1 price drop on the Titanfall bundle. You have to give give MS some credit. They're selling the farm to try to be competitive at this point. The bundles didn't fly off the shelves like they anticipated, so they're dropping it further to make sure the consoles at least move. They can't afford to continue to have the supply lines clogged with inventory.

Xbox Price Slashed As PS4 Battle Grows - Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) - 24/7 Wall St.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #1753
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Lots of chatter about the X1 price drop on the Titanfall bundle. You have to give give MS some credit. They're selling the farm to try to be competitive at this point. The bundles didn't fly off the shelves like they anticipated, so they're dropping it further to make sure the consoles at least move. They can't afford to continue to have the supply lines clogged with inventory.

Xbox Price Slashed As PS4 Battle Grows - Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) - 24/7 Wall St.

So they've essentially went to $399 with the Titanfall bundle which you said wouldn't happen.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #1754
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Microsoft is smart getting the price down quickly, something Sony should have done last generation.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #1755
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
So they've essentially went to $399 with the Titanfall bundle which you said wouldn't happen.

$450=$399? Interesting math.

Anyone who spins this as a positive is fooling themselves. The good news for consumers is that they dropped the price. The bad news is that they had to drop the price so quickly. Second time since launch they've discounted consoles quickly and demonstrated to possible buyers that they're better off waiting to buy their console. They're bleeding money at a point in the life cycle where they likely did not plan to do so. It's not a good situation.

Meanwhile, PS4's continue to fly off the shelves and Sony hasn't had to use up any of its incentive options yet and likely won't have to do so until fall at the very earliest.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that MS makes the move to $399 (regardless of whether Kinect is included or not) by September. Sony can create a bundle or drop $50-100 at that time should they choose to do so and MS would be dead in the water all over again. Sony holds all the cards at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Microsoft is smart getting the price down quickly, something Sony should have done last generation.

Very true. Sony should have moved earlier last generation, though as we see here, it may not make a difference anyway. But it at least prolongs the hope.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-23-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #1756
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
$450=$399? Interesting math.

$449 including a game means you're essentially getting the console with the Kinect included for $399. I'm sure you know that and are just being an ass for the sake of it.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #1757
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
$449 including a game means you're essentially getting the console with the Kinect included for $399. I'm sure you know that and are just being an ass for the sake of it.

But what if I don't want Titanfall as the relatively poor sales of the bundle seem to suggest is exactly the case of a lot of consumers? With this bundle even with the slight value increase, they're now forcing you to buy Kinect AND Titanfall. It's still not the same and you're smart enough to know that. They produced this bundle thinking it would just fly off the shelves. They never even thought in their wildest dreams that they'd have to discount it so quickly to avoid the embarrassment of 'limited edition' bundles sitting on the shelves for a few months, much like we saw with the 'Day One' consoles.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #1758
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
But what if I don't want Titanfall as the relatively poor sales of the bundle seem to suggest is exactly the case of a lot of consumers? With this bundle even with the slight value increase, they're now forcing you to buy Kinect AND Titanfall. It's still not the same and you're smart enough to know that. They produced this bundle thinking it would just fly off the shelves. They never even thought in their wildest dreams that they'd have to discount it so quickly to avoid the embarrassment of 'limited edition' bundles sitting on the shelves for a few months, much like we saw with the 'Day One' consoles.

How deep is your well of bullshit?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #1759
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
How deep is your well of bullshit?

Would it be too much to ask for a constructive response to my point rather than another baseless insult? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #1760
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Would it be too much to ask for a constructive response to my point rather than another baseless insult? Thanks.

Day One consoles were not available daily for weeks or months after launch. There is no way to have a constructive response to your posts, as you then turn to straw men or just flat out ignore responses when you get called on your bullshit. It is tiring to put up with.

Based on the number of posts you have in this thread compared to everyone else, it is clear that the subject as you wish to portray it is not a subject of interest to the people on this board. But you continue to plod along.

Last edited by cartman : 03-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #1761
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Anyone who spins this as a positive is fooling themselves.

Oh, right. I sometimes forget that everything is a negative for Microsoft.

XBox One is more expensive, bad move by Microsoft and they'll never be able to compete with Sony until they lower it.

XBox One + Titanfall cheaper than PS4 + inFamous? Oh boy what a bad move by Microsoft. Just further evidence of how they can't compete with Sony.

If tomorrow Microsoft announced they were selling the XBox One for $99 and were able to make a profit doing so we'd be hearing about how it's a bad move and Microsoft is just in more and more trouble with their competition with Sony.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-23-2014 at 06:46 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #1762
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Day One consoles were not available daily for weeks or months after launch. There is no way to have a constructive response to your posts, as you then turn to straw men or just flat out ignore responses when you get called on your bullshit. It is tiring to put up with.

How long were they available daily? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? Six weeks? One day?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #1763
stevew
Hall Of Famer

NOBODY GIVES A SHIT
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #1764
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
NOBODY GIVES A SHIT

Exactly how many nobodies and how much stuff?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #1765
chadritt
High School Varsity

I think its pretty clear that MBBF just HAS to have a rival for everything he likes. He needs someone he can imagine crying for him to point and laugh at, thats what hes trying to do with MS.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #1766
SackAttack
Head Coach

The only "Day One" consoles I saw following the Xbox One launch were the ones that were pretty clearly returned by people who thought they were going to make a killing on craigslist, and did not.

And I can count the number of those on one hand.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #1767
SackAttack
Head Coach

With fingers left over.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #1768
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fuck off Sony rulz
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #1769
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Fuck off Sony rulz

Here's the thing: I have minimal interest in Xbox One at $499. I'd have had zero interest without the backwalk at E3.

Ordinarily I'd say I'll get one when it gets down to $300 or so, but the 360 lifecycle has shown that they're probably not going to cut the price that far. Where, traditionally, end-of-life sees a system get close to the $100 price point, Xbox 360's high-end SKU sells for the same $399 the system did at launch. Which means Xbox One isn't in my immediate future.

I want a PS4. I'll get one when I can afford one. But MBBF is still full of it.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #1770
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Last edited by MacroGuru : 03-23-2014 at 08:16 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #1771
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Woo! A Freakazoid reference!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #1772
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Here's the thing: I have minimal interest in Xbox One at $499. I'd have had zero interest without the backwalk at E3.

Ordinarily I'd say I'll get one when it gets down to $300 or so, but the 360 lifecycle has shown that they're probably not going to cut the price that far. Where, traditionally, end-of-life sees a system get close to the $100 price point, Xbox 360's high-end SKU sells for the same $399 the system did at launch. Which means Xbox One isn't in my immediate future.

Pretty accurate summation of the situation......except for the last part of course.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #1773
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Pretty accurate summation of the situation......except for the last part of course.

What? No, I'm totally getting a PS4 once I can afford it.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #1774
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What? No, I'm totally getting a PS4 once I can afford it.

I see what you did there.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #1775
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I hear ya.. and yes he's always full of it.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #1776
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crazy to see that early numbers in the UK show that the Infamous release boosted PS4 hardware sales slightly more than Titanfall boosted X1 sales. Will be interesting to see whether X1 was able to sustain UK momentum during that time.

PS4 hardware sales jump 106% on InFamous: Second Son launch | Games industry news | MCV

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-24-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #1777
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Do you plan to analyze every big release and sales blip right up until next gen, at which point we can, as we did with PS3/360, confirm none of it meant anything?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #1778
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Do you plan to analyze every big release and sales blip right up until next gen, at which point we can, as we did with PS3/360, confirm none of it meant anything?

Silly jeff. You already know the answer to this question.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #1779
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Keep that UK information coming, I find it very fascinating!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #1780
mckerney
Coordinator

So, what we know from MBBF is that due to how people can't wait to get their hands on it the PS4 flies off the shelf as soon as it arrives in the store. Then inFamous comes along and boosts the sales numbers that were already as high as they could possibly be due to demand for the PS4 being greater than what Sony could produce.

Got it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #1781
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I know we've already had this conversation in this thread, but MBBF said that there are people out there that find this sort of console vs. console competition like the Superbowl?

Think MBBF even said this was something he was looking forward to for years??

Aside from game design studios that are seeking a platform-exclusive, who is that excited over which box sells better, honestly?

Are there people that are that hard-up for "us vs. them" competitiveness in EVERY aspect of their lives that they get wound-up by this stuff?

Again, I just don't get it. Fortunately I don't think I'm alone.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #1782
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
So, what we know from MBBF is that due to how people can't wait to get their hands on it the PS4 flies off the shelf as soon as it arrives in the store. Then inFamous comes along and boosts the sales numbers that were already as high as they could possibly be due to demand for the PS4 being greater than what Sony could produce.

Got it.

I'm glad someone else hit exactly what I read into the post.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #1783
cartman
Death Herald

I'm glad I was finally able to just walk into a store today and pick up an Xbox One Day One edition.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #1784
stevew
Hall Of Famer

fuck this thread.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #1785
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I know we've already had this conversation in this thread, but MBBF said that there are people out there that find this sort of console vs. console competition like the Superbowl?

Think MBBF even said this was something he was looking forward to for years??

Aside from game design studios that are seeking a platform-exclusive, who is that excited over which box sells better, honestly?

Are there people that are that hard-up for "us vs. them" competitiveness in EVERY aspect of their lives that they get wound-up by this stuff?

Again, I just don't get it. Fortunately I don't think I'm alone.

I know people at game studios making an exclusive and even they don't care nearly this much.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #1786
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'm amazed how much of your analysis is based on knowing what is going on in a corporations "head"
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #1787
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
I know people at game studios making an exclusive and even they don't care nearly this much.

I'm sure. That's about the only possibility I could think of for people who'd care this much though.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #1788
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'm sure. That's about the only possibility I could think of for people who'd care this much though.

I am sure the debate comes up in elementary school.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #1789
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I am sure the debate comes up in elementary school.

I was really immature then. I remember running laps around my middle school gym while arguing with a friend over PSX vs N64.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #1790
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I'm amazed how much of your analysis is based on knowing what is going on in a corporations "head"

I'm putting forward my opinion. I don't think it's that far off. Rather than being 'amazed', tell me what logic you think MS used to get to this point and how you think they're going to move going forward.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #1791
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

No.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #1792
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm putting forward my opinion. I don't think it's that far off. Rather than being 'amazed', tell me what logic you think MS used to get to this point and how you think they're going to move going forward.

Or

You could give us his opinion instead.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #1793
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Or

You could give us his opinion instead.

I think he's too amazed to respond.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #1794
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Do you think MS has used logic in this roll out? I certainly have not gotten that from your anthropomorphized analysis.

I would think that a company as big as MS would have several working plans, long and short term, with the emphasis on the long term. Thus, the day to day price and supply stuff is even less significant than you could imagine, in your wildest dreams.

Last edited by AENeuman : 03-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #1795
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Enter the strawman!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #1796
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Do you think MS has used logic in this roll out? I certainly have not gotten that from your anthropomorphized analysis.

I would think that a company as big as MS would have several working plans, long and short term, with the emphasis on the long term. Thus, the day to day price and supply stuff is even less significant than you could imagine, in your wildest dreams.

But it's not a day to day situation IMO. A bundle like this Titanfall bundle is put together at least a couple months ahead of time. This was a short term change (relatively speaking) that they decided to make to boost sales. We have to assume that they made the quantity a 'limited edition' with the intent that they would sell what they made and make it look good for their console (i.e. "look at those sales figures!"). You don't release a limited edition bundle so you can discount it 10 days after it's released.

Another thing we haven't even discussed is the relative silence from MS on actual Titanfall sales. If this game truly is a system seller, you would think EA or even MS would be putting a lot of emphasis on releasing sales numbers demonstrating how well this game has sold. Thus far, we've had very little of that.

BTW......I do appreciate the response.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #1797
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Phil Spencer teases E3, possible Japanese exclusive......

Xbox One Japanese Exclusive, E3 Conference Plans Teased - IGN
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #1798
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola

Phil Spencer teases E3, possible Japanese exclusive......

Xbox One Japanese Exclusive, E3 Conference Plans Teased - IGN

I don't know if this got a mention in this thread yet?

"Titanfall's launch caused Xbox One sales to almost double in the UK last week"
Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #1799
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know if this got a mention in this thread yet?

"Titanfall's launch caused Xbox One sales to almost double in the UK last week"

Yes, it was discussed. Both consoles saw huge sales boosts during Titanfall release week. The X1 sales rose by 91% and the PS4 rose by 72%. As mentioned above, the PS4 saw a 106% bump in sales this past weekend for the release of Infamous: Second Son.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #1800
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More bundled offerings from MS. X1 with free Forza 5 for $449.96 at Wal-Mart.

Xbox One Console with Forza Motorsport 5 : Consoles : Walmart.com