Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #1751
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Berkhoel is a good goalie, another Minnesota kid that I've seen play many times since his HS days at Anoka.

I don't know if I'd go that far... he hasn't had any really above average performances in the NHL (that I can think of) and a couple of bad ones.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #1752
st.cronin
General Manager

Wow... heck of a game in Phoenix, won by the Gretzkys in OT. Tortuous game for Phoenix fans, as St. Louis really only had one or two good scoring chances but kept popping soft, fluky goals past the rookie, and on the other end Phoenix kept hitting pipe and missing open net.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:51 PM   #1753
bbor
Pro Starter

Too much offence.Give the keepers their equipment back.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:18 AM   #1754
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I don't know if I'd go that far... he hasn't had any really above average performances in the NHL (that I can think of) and a couple of bad ones.

He did well in HS and College, how he will do in the NHL is still up in the air, and with the new rules, it's hard to tell how anyone will do for that matter. I'm not saying he's a superstar, but I think he's a good goalie.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM   #1755
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
yes, Mr Referee, it is TOTALLY cool if you let Pronger just hold that guy against the boards. he doesn't have the puck, but I think that's just because he really didn't want the puck anyway. totally cool.

It was really cool how he let the Avs hook all night long and whistled Horcoff if his stick touched another player at all. The bad calls were ultimately pretty even.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:53 AM   #1756
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
It was really cool how he let the Avs hook all night long and whistled Horcoff if his stick touched another player at all. The bad calls were ultimately pretty even.

true. and I figured they would even out (like not calling Moreau for GI but calling Smyth when Aebischer ran into HIM), but it doesn't make me happier about it. It's just so goofy to see some stuff ignored, while other lame shit get called.

oh, and an ugly game by the two goalies. In the last 2 games, Colorado has 5 goals in the last 3 minutes of the game.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #1757
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm a little surprised at this, but I find myself kind of cranky about the Predators likely breaking the Leafs record for wins to start a season. As far as records go, it's about a fourth- or fifth-tier thing that nobody even pays much attention to, but for some reason it bugs me that the Preds will be breaking it.

I don't know if it's because of their ridiculously easy schedule, the new rules that let teams win without anyone losing, or whether I'm just a big sucky baby when it comes to the frustratingly small list of recent Leafs glory. I'm thinking the latter.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #1758
bbor
Pro Starter

So much for the Pens being the most improved team in the off season?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #1759
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

They need some help on the defensive end, guess that will have to wait for the next draft!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #1760
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I'm a little surprised at this, but I find myself kind of cranky about the Predators likely breaking the Leafs record for wins to start a season. As far as records go, it's about a fourth- or fifth-tier thing that nobody even pays much attention to, but for some reason it bugs me that the Preds will be breaking it.

I don't know if it's because of their ridiculously easy schedule, the new rules that let teams win without anyone losing, or whether I'm just a big sucky baby when it comes to the frustratingly small list of recent Leafs glory. I'm thinking the latter.

Agreed....i love that record.......i think the 10th win was a 2-1 win over Tampa, the same night that "touch em all Joe, you'll never hit a bigger homerun in your life" happend...

BTW..RIP Tom Cheek
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #1761
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
They need some help on the defensive end, guess that will have to wait for the next draft!

Or call up Noah Welch, Ryan Whitney and Marc-Andre Fleury and have them learn on the job.

Thibault looked pretty bad last night.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #1762
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Just don't be prying Goli away from us for til after he is a Junior!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #1763
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Agreed....i love that record.......i think the 10th win was a 2-1 win over Tampa, the same night that "touch em all Joe, you'll never hit a bigger homerun in your life" happend...

BTW..RIP Tom Cheek

So did you guys have the parade right after that win or did you wait until the Leafs finally lost?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #1764
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
So did you guys have the parade right after that win or did you wait until the Leafs finally lost?
Actually, true story: The night the Leafs set the record the streets of Toronto filled with a hundred thousand fans, who partied well into the wee hours of the morning.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #1765
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Dave Andreychuk scored twice in the third period against his former team, and Vincent Lecavalier added a short-handed goal shortly after to lift the Tampa Bay Lightning to a 6-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday night.

The loss was even more costly for the Devils because two-time Vezina Trophy winner Martin Brodeur left the game with 6:50 remaining with an apparent injury to his right knee.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #1766
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

I just got back from the Blue Jackets game, where they decided to play well and beat the undefeated Preds 3-2 in OT. Footer gets a SH goal about 30 seconds in, which might be just what the doctor ordered. I'm going to get a Foote jersey ASAP.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #1767
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Dave Andreychuk scored twice in the third period against his former team, and Vincent Lecavalier added a short-handed goal shortly after to lift the Tampa Bay Lightning to a 6-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday night.

The loss was even more costly for the Devils because two-time Vezina Trophy winner Martin Brodeur left the game with 6:50 remaining with an apparent injury to his right knee.

I think he was just hiding a chubby.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #1768
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
See what I did there, folks? It's called reverse psychology, and it works brilliantly against the hockey gods.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #1769
bbor
Pro Starter

ML...That and the fact that Fraser was reffing the game

Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #1770
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
ML...That and the fact that Fraser was reffing the game

If you're refering to the Jackets-Preds game, Fraser wasn't, I believe it was Auger (or something like that). I would have rememebered seeing Fraser's hair
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:28 AM   #1771
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
See what I did there, folks? It's called reverse psychology, and it works brilliantly against the hockey gods.

Great job ML...i was watching part of the game and was cheering loudly against the Preds....1st time ive ever done that
TML
Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #1772
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

At least the Stars scored more than 2 goals.
But it was another 1 goal game.
They took a penalty with less then 2 minutes left in the game. San Jose scored. Had a goal disallowed in overtime. Gave Patrick Marleau a breakaway.

San Jose wins.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #1773
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

With the news coming out yesturday that MLSE is going to go after the 2009 World Junior tournament along with the Senators & Canadians, as well as the location of this year's tournament in Vancouver... is anyone else annoyed that we may eventually see an end to "smaller" Junior League cities getting this tournament when it comes to North America?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #1774
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
With the news coming out yesturday that MLSE is going to go after the 2009 World Junior tournament along with the Senators & Canadians, as well as the location of this year's tournament in Vancouver... is anyone else annoyed that we may eventually see an end to "smaller" Junior League cities getting this tournament when it comes to North America?

Toronto is a junior league city...lol..3 have 3 teams.....yes, i know you are talking about smaller cities, but ive never had a chance to goto a world juniors game, and id love too.....i hope Toronto can win that bid
TML
Old 10-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #1775
bbor
Pro Starter

Sach.....Where the hell was the Dallas D on that break-away.There was'nt a Dallas player within 30 feet.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #1776
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Sach.....Where the hell was the Dallas D on that break-away.There was'nt a Dallas player within 30 feet.

They were "crashing the net".
Old 10-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #1777
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, I stop by tsn.ca/nhl to check out the latest NHL news, as is my want 3-4 times a day. Anyway, there is an article on the site about a domestic dispute between Sheldon Souray and his soon to be ex-wife (they filed for divorce in August). It turns out his wife is Angelica Bridges, who the article mentions is a former model/actress. She was on "Baywatch" apparently at some point.

What the hell is it with hockey players and models? You have Petr Nedved and his SI covergirl. Yashin and Carol Alt. Ron Dugay and Kim Alexis. I am sure the list goes on and on...

Granted it's not hard to imagine that highly paid professional athletes would be popular with the ladies, but it seems like hockey players tend to date/marry more of the model-type than other sports figures.

I mean, Sheldon Souray? How in the hell does Sheldon Souray even meet this woman? He wasn't even all that good three years ago when he married her.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #1778
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

If you want "pics", just do a google image search of "Angelica Bridges."
Old 10-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #1779
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

don't forget the weirdest of all - Sean Avery and Rachel Hunter

or the surreal - Valeri Bure and Candace Cameron
Old 10-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #1780
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
So, I stop by tsn.ca/nhl to check out the latest NHL news, as is my want 3-4 times a day. Anyway, there is an article on the site about a domestic dispute between Sheldon Souray and his soon to be ex-wife (they filed for divorce in August). It turns out his wife is Angelica Bridges, who the article mentions is a former model/actress. She was on "Baywatch" apparently at some point.

What the hell is it with hockey players and models? You have Petr Nedved and his SI covergirl. Yashin and Carol Alt. Ron Dugay and Kim Alexis. I am sure the list goes on and on...

Granted it's not hard to imagine that highly paid professional athletes would be popular with the ladies, but it seems like hockey players tend to date/marry more of the model-type than other sports figures.

I mean, Sheldon Souray? How in the hell does Sheldon Souray even meet this woman? He wasn't even all that good three years ago when he married her.

I remember, right before the season, when they were talking to Barry Melrose on ESPN and he was saying why people should like hockey and he threw in "and of course because hockey players have the best looking wives".

The idiot anchor threw in a "Yeah, right" sarcastic chuckle.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #1781
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Janet Gretzky = not that hot.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #1782
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
don't forget the weirdest of all - Sean Avery and Rachel Hunter

Sean Avery and Rachel Hunter?

Wow. Well, the ladies in Detroit all seemed to think Avery was a real heart throb. He was very popular during his short stint in Detroit. He seems like a real idiot, but maybe Rachel Hunter likes the whole brash "bad boy" thing. Who knows...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #1783
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

Just did some research. I guess this relationship ended in June. Well, it's still damn impressive that a fourth line agitator like Sean Avery can end up dating a super-model like Rachel Hunter.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #1784
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

We'll agree to disagree on that one, especially back in the day...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #1785
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

Well, yes... in Bizarro World.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #1786
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I was going to post something insightful about tonight's long-awaited return of Todd Bertuzzi to Colorado, but I'm too stunned by the Avery/Hunter thing. I think I need a glass of water.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #1787
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
I was going to post something insightful about tonight's long-awaited return of Todd Bertuzzi to Colorado, but I'm too stunned by the Avery/Hunter thing. I think I need a glass of water.

Ok... now I'm just confused... this isn't a national game in Canada tonight? Wow!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:45 PM   #1788
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

DD = would still do her
Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #1789
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I work nights, so I Tivo all the Avs games and watch them the next morning. All I have to do is keep out of this thread and certain websites on Avs game nights. Normally, that's not a big deal, but tonight I am very anxious to watch.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #1790
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Ok... now I'm just confused... this isn't a national game in Canada tonight? Wow!

the better game will be Saturday anyway, when they have a chance to get good and pissed at each other.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #1791
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola,
what do you think Bertuzzi does with his 3 days in Denver? I can't imagine him wanting to get a lot of sight seeing in.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #1792
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting little tidbit I saw on ajc.com today, as the Thrashers make a little NHL history.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, no team has ever used five different goalies in the first 10 games of the season. Three teams – the 1966-67 Maple Leafs, the 1979-80 Edmonton Oilers and the 1980-81 Colorado Rockies – all used five goalies during one 10-game span at some point during the season, but never to start the season.

edit to add: Apparently having the veteran Steve Shields in goal wasn't quite the answer we were looking for. An early 4-1 lead has vanished into a 6-4 defecit as the Penguins scored 4x in a 5:10 stretch late in the 2nd period.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-27-2005 at 08:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #1793
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm getting so tired of everytime there's icing, the announcers saying "And of of course there are no line changes allowed when a team ices the puck" I GET IT ALREADY KEN DANIELS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #1794
henry296
College Starter

Penguins tie franchise record with 6 PP and game back from 4-0 deficit to win 7-5 for their first win of the year.

I turned the game on after dinner and they were already down 4-1 and I figured here we go again. The Thrashers gave them power play after power play and the Penguins fire power finally came through. Still not a playoff team.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #1795
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
The Thrashers gave them power play after power play

Of the 12 combined goals, 9 came on the PP.
Pens look like they were 6 of 10 on the PP, Atl. just 3 of 10.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 PM   #1796
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

Janet Gretzky is a slut... right klayman?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #1797
klayman
College Benchwarmer

damn right!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #1798
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

can I get a WOOHOO!

I don't imagine there's much more I could have wanted in the game. Colorado dominated, there were two good hits put on Bertuzzi, and Bertuzzi had 3 great scoring chances and couldn't score. I don't even mind the 3rd period meltdown (outshot 23 to freaking 0 and 4 penalties) because it meant Aebischer had to make some great saves to keep the Avs ahead. Making great saves is not something he's done much of this year.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #1799
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I'm getting so tired of everytime there's icing, the announcers saying "And of of course there are no line changes allowed when a team ices the puck" I GET IT ALREADY KEN DANIELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's only, what, 11 games into the season? Maybe this is the first game someone's been able to watch and they aren't familiar with the new rules. Cut Kenny some slack.

Lighten up, Francis.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #1800
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Of the 12 combined goals, 9 came on the PP.
Pens look like they were 6 of 10 on the PP, Atl. just 3 of 10.

Who was in goal for Atlanta last night...me?