Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #1751
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh look- another Cabrera home run. That's #40 and he's only 4 behind Davis now and leading in the other two Triple Crown categories.

SI

Davis hit his 45th today as well.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #1752
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

We're an hour and a half in at Fenway, and we've had A-Rod plunked, causing the benches to semi-clear, Girardi ejected for arguing (and apparently throwing something that looked like a left hook at an umpire), it's 3-3..

And we've only played three innings.

Yup, another Sox-Yankees all nighter.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #1753
miami_fan
Coordinator

The lying that has gone on after the end of the Yankee-Red Sox game is Braun-esque.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #1754
Logan
Head Coach

Good job Ryan Dempster, making yourself look like a bigger piece of shit than A-Rod. Well done.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #1755
Thomkal
Head Coach

Speaking of Ryan Braun, his story has gotten even more pathetic:

Ryan Braun lobbied veteran players for support during appeal, sources say - ESPN
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #1756
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Speaking of Ryan Braun, his story has gotten even more pathetic:

Ryan Braun lobbied veteran players for support during appeal, sources say - ESPN

From the article:

Quote:
Braun is expected to speak publicly for the first time since his drug suspension very soon, perhaps as soon as Monday. A source with knowledge of his thinking says Braun wants to make things right again.

Good luck with that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #1757
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah Braun isn't even religious at all but was planning on playing the anti-semite and crazy Cubs fan cards. Yet A-Rod is who the nation thinks is a piece of shit fraud. I realize both can be piece of shit frauds but 65 games for Braun and 200+ for A-Rod still just doesn't make any sense to me. (Unless A-Rod turned down 65 which seems highly unlikely)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #1758
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah Braun isn't even religious at all but was planning on playing the anti-semite and crazy Cubs fan cards. Yet A-Rod is who the nation thinks is a piece of shit fraud. I realize both can be piece of shit frauds but 65 games for Braun and 200+ for A-Rod still just doesn't make any sense to me. (Unless A-Rod turned down 65 which seems highly unlikely)

Turned down 50 if you believe this:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...games-in-april
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #1759
cougarfreak
College Starter

It's all about the money (something you already know, I'm sure). If there was EVER an eye opener for sports fans it should have been the Lance Armstrong debacle. Here's a guy who used cancer to make millions of dollars, and was using PED's the entire time, and denying their use. Put all of these baseball players in that same category. Braun doesn't care, hell he got his, and will continue to get his money. Same for Arod. They will lie, cheat, throw people under the bus, and continue to do so, until penalties are in place that ensure once they are caught, they are banned for life.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #1760
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
It's all about the money (something you already know, I'm sure). If there was EVER an eye opener for sports fans it should have been the Lance Armstrong debacle. Here's a guy who used cancer to make millions of dollars, and was using PED's the entire time, and denying their use. Put all of these baseball players in that same category. Braun doesn't care, hell he got his, and will continue to get his money. Same for Arod. They will lie, cheat, throw people under the bus, and continue to do so, until penalties are in place that ensure once they are caught, they are banned for life.

Which brings me back to my point that they need to write a letter of agreement into the CBA that basically detaches you from your current contracted pay and forces you into a renegotiation. Until the pain hits the pocket it won't be enough of a deterrent.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #1761
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Which brings me back to my point that they need to write a letter of agreement into the CBA that basically detaches you from your current contracted pay and forces you into a renegotiation. Until the pain hits the pocket it won't be enough of a deterrent.

But therein lies the problem. The cost of the steroid story doesn't hurt individual players, it hurts the institution as a whole so it's one those situations where it's to an individual's benefit to use as they don't pay the externality cost or they only pay it in small amounts. If baseball as a whole suffers a 5% loss in popularity due to cheating but you do gain 50% because of your performance relative to your peers then you are financially incentivized to cheat.

And I think it's fairly evident that MLBPA cares pretty much only about money. And if you judge them only by the financial gain they have helped their players achieve, then it would be hard to deny their effectiveness. However, it denies the reality of concern for working conditions in that you really need to be on drugs to succeed. And that's without getting into the moral or ethical ramifications.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #1762
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Which almost makes you wonder about the people who took the suspension - did they do it because they were threatened with many more games if they didn't?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #1763
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But therein lies the problem. The cost of the steroid story doesn't hurt individual players, it hurts the institution as a whole so it's one those situations where it's to an individual's benefit to use as they don't pay the externality cost or they only pay it in small amounts. If baseball as a whole suffers a 5% loss in popularity due to cheating but you do gain 50% because of your performance relative to your peers then you are financially incentivized to cheat.

And I think it's fairly evident that MLBPA cares pretty much only about money. And if you judge them only by the financial gain they have helped their players achieve, then it would be hard to deny their effectiveness. However, it denies the reality of concern for working conditions in that you really need to be on drugs to succeed. And that's without getting into the moral or ethical ramifications.

SI

One can quite easily argue that the popularity of the game has never been higher, and that is partially due to the results of PEDs.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1764
lungs
Pro Rookie

Just wanted to throw a question out there to see what people think....

What percent of active players do you believe to be using banned substances today?

The reason I ask is because the latest round of suspensions had only a couple positive test attributed to it (Braun and Bartolo Colon served his suspension earlier, maybe one more too that I'm forgetting?) Point being, it's pretty obvious that it's still pretty easy to cheat the actual drug testing portion of the system.

It was actually a conversation with a former PED user this spring that convinced me that Braun is a liar and that there is still significant usage in MLB. Maybe not 50% but 25% wouldn't surprise me. You have to be an idiot to get caught these days was the takeaway message I got from him.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #1765
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If we include basically undetectable HGH, I suspect it's still over 50%

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #1766
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Good job Ryan Dempster, making yourself look like a bigger piece of shit than A-Rod. Well done.

Dempster should be facing a 5 game suspension. Dude threw at A-Rod four times before hitting him. I know he says he was throwing "inside" but inside of what? Third base?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #1767
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This Dempster thing... I'm starting to feel bad for A-Rod.

Glad to see on SoSH that most of us think it was a bush-league move.

Yeah, I know A-Rod's done a great job creating this situation on his own, but it's starting to sound like good fun if he ends up beating Cashman and Selig at this game. I've never liked bullying, and Dempster should have been ejected on the spot.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #1768
DanGarion
Coordinator

Feel bad for A-Rod? He brought it on himself.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #1769
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Xander just got called up, so at least there's some good Red Sox news after that debacle last night.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #1770
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Feel bad for A-Rod? He brought it on himself.

What did he do to Ryan Dempster, exactly?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #1771
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I thought the length of A-Rod's suspension was partly due to his interference with MLB's investigation. That certainly separates him from many of the others and warrants a disparity in the number of games.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #1772
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
What did he do to Ryan Dempster, exactly?

Cheated against him and his colleagues/friends for years?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #1773
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Cheated against him and his colleagues/friends for years?

So do they throw at Ortiz (among many of their other teammates) during BP?

*I hate A-Rod

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #1774
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah its playing to the fans and nothing more. I can't believe Dempster could even bear to put on a Cubs uniform with Sammy Sosa on the team.

I would add it is pretty Bush league for the ump to allow 4 attempts and to do nothing but eject the beaned players umpire. MLB has to do something if for no other reason than the obvious message they send otherwise.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #1775
Jas_lov
College Starter

Dempster could have just thrown at him once, which he did on the 1st pitch, and been done with it. Instead, he threw at him 4 times and managed to look worse than A-Rod in the whole process. And the ump was even worse because he warned the Yankees after Dempster threw at one of the players 4 straight times. Girardi was absolutely right, now watch him get suspended for his tirade.

Everyone is hypocritical when it comes to PEDs. Selig, MLB, the fans. Those fans love Big Papi yet he also cheated and never came clean. Selig let this go on for years. And the players are all part of the union that collectively bargained the appeal process. If Dempster and Lackey don't want A-Rod playing then they should work to change the process.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #1776
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hours of ESPN coverage given to C Jose Lobaton's walk-off triple, walk-off homerun combo this weekend: 1 hour.

Hours of ESPN coverage given to suspended but still playing cheater Alex Rodriguez: 3,248 hours.

Is it baseball? Or General Hospital for dudes...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #1777
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
ESPN
Is it baseball? Or General Hospital for dudes...

I think you answered your own question with these 4 letters. ESPN is basically unwatchable to me these days.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #1778
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rangers just pulled off something you don't see often. All 9 batters scored a run in the 3rd inning against the Astros.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #1779
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dodgers look hungover now after that run.

Like Steam?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #1780
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Dodgers look hungover now after that run.

Not going to keep winning at an .800 clip the rest of the way?

SI

Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #1781
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Not going to keep winning at an .800 clip the rest of the way?

SI

Obviously not, I'm just saying after that run I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 3-7 run and drop 5 straight. That's how they looked tonight.

Like Steam?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #1782
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Rangers just pulled off something you don't see often. All 9 batters scored a run in the 3rd inning against the Astros.
I don't know, it seems to happen to little league teams like the Astros fairly frequently.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #1783
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tejada also implicated in the Biogenesis mess, and apparently made a deal to take the Adderall suspension over the Biogenesis one.

Miguel Tejada of Kansas City Royals also implicated in the Biogenesis scandal, sources say - ESPN

Also Pujois out for the season now-I wonder if he's wishing he stayed in St. Louis?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #1784
Easy Mac

Would he have not gotten hurt in St. Louis?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #1785
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Tejada also implicated in the Biogenesis mess, and apparently made a deal to take the Adderall suspension over the Biogenesis one.

Miguel Tejada of Kansas City Royals also implicated in the Biogenesis scandal, sources say - ESPN

Also Pujois out for the season now-I wonder if he's wishing he stayed in St. Louis?

What?! He took vitamin B12 shots again!? Didn't he learn the first time?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #1786
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Would he have not gotten hurt in St. Louis?

Of course he could have-was just commenting that the Cardinals have still been successful without him, Angels have not with him.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #1787
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
What?! He took vitamin B12 shots again!? Didn't he learn the first time?

Apparently, its what was mixed in with the B12 shots that they caught him on.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #1788
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fucking MLB. Should have hit him for each one - why do they keep cutting deals with this cheaters. Fucking ridiculous.

That being said - if he truly had been taking Adderall for 5 years and it was just a case where his notification to the league or whatever timed out (as he claims) then I think that's a place where the league SHOULD have cut him a little bit of slack and not popped him for that. Common sense and all.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #1789
molson
General Manager

Geez, 8 years and $212 million to go.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #1790
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fucking MLB. Should have hit him for each one - why do they keep cutting deals with this cheaters. Fucking ridiculous.

That being said - if he truly had been taking Adderall for 5 years and it was just a case where his notification to the league or whatever timed out (as he claims) then I think that's a place where the league SHOULD have cut him a little bit of slack and not popped him for that. Common sense and all.

Same reason they tried to ambush ARod on NBC yesterday. It's become embarrassing to watch them try and enforce the rules but they do it in such an arbitrary fashion that there is no faith that they are doing anything but cutting deals and/or being vindictive. I hate ARod as much as the next guy but given the stuff we're seeing come out about this, Braun, etc. why did ARod deserve anything more than Braun's 65 games?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #1791
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
why did ARod deserve anything more than Braun's 65 games?

His MLB suspension was the only one that contained specific language about obstruction, as in, the longer suspension was "for attempting to cover-up his violations of the Program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation." (Edit: That obstruction apparently included trying to buy incriminating evidence about himself and others from Biogensis to destroy it, and then leaking incriminating information about other players to Yahoo sports, for some reason). He got the extra time not under the drug policy, but under the "conduct detrimental to baseball" clause. Yes, Cabrera made a fake website, and Braun acted like a dick, but obviously the MLB determined that A-Rod's conduct was far more egregious.

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #1792
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
His MLB suspension was the only one that contained specific language about obstruction, as in, the longer suspension was "for attempting to cover-up his violations of the Program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation." (Edit: That obstruction apparently included trying to buy incriminating evidence about himself and others from Biogensis to destroy it, and then leaking incriminating information about other players to Yahoo sports, for some reason). He got the extra time not under the drug policy, but under the "conduct detrimental to baseball" clause. Yes, Cabrera made a fake website, and Braun acted like a dick, but obviously the MLB determined that A-Rod's conduct was far more egregious.

See I keep hearing that Braun got that "anti-semitic Cubs fan" fired. Maybe the firing is just an urban legend but knowing you are a cheater and still throwing some poor innocent guy under the bus puts Braun up there with A-Rod and if the guy was fired puts him above A-Rod on my list.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #1793
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I think it may be MLB coming down harder on Adderall users as its become more and more a drug connected to PED use of late.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #1794
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
See I keep hearing that Braun got that "anti-semitic Cubs fan" fired. Maybe the firing is just an urban legend but knowing you are a cheater and still throwing some poor innocent guy under the bus puts Braun up there with A-Rod and if the guy was fired puts him above A-Rod on my list.

Not just that but then calling other players to drum up support? Come on...he's just as bad.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1795
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I agree, Braun is probably the bigger douchebag. And A-Rod at least actually did admit to using at one point, something Braun still hasn't done (though apparently he is soon, but we'll see what the lawyers actually write for him to say). I understand the MLB's rationale too, especially if A-Rod was actively interfering in investigations involving other players. I'd be fine with lifetime bans for both, but I'm definitely not going to feel bad for either one for getting a harsher sentence than someone else. Both of their careers will be defined by this and that's probably the biggest punishment long-term. And I'm kind of impressed that MLB finally got any kind of suspension for this stuff at all after the most powerful labor union in the country fought for years and years for the right of their members to take illegal performing-enhancing drugs.

Last edited by molson : 08-20-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #1796
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I know it is an almost impossible line to define, but I have a little bit more sympathy for players that take the banned substances to get back to their normal level after an injury than ones that use them to take their normal level to a higher one. To me, for the first scenario the banned substances aren't 'performance enhancing'. But since that line is nebulous between normal and better than normal, that's why the substances are banned.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #1797
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hey, at least he's batting better than Josh Hamilton.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #1798
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

So, is the ultimate difference when taking this stuff reaction time, strength, something else?

You have to understand that we Royals fans are all relatively new to this thing. Our players just started doping up in the last few years.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #1799
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Obviously, Pujols has more problems, but it is worth noting that the league average OPS has dropped about .030 in the last few years. After being at least .748 for every year from 1994-2009, OPS the last 4 years has been .728, .720, .724 and now .715, mostly tied to an increasing K rate (up to an historical high near 20% now). 1st basemen in particular have been hit hard, falling from an average .825 OPS to .766. (So as bad as Pujols seems compared to his past self, he's still perfectly cromulent for a 1B.)

Pujols himself http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...77&position=1B does have a walk rate that cratered the year before he left St. Louis and a career high K rate, combined with a very low BABIP despite his highest line drive rate since 2008. If you think he was doping, maybe you can tie some of the drop in BB rate to pitchers being less scared of his power, but I think the foot injury, moving to the AL, and just some bad luck have been bigger factors. I don't think he'll ever jump back into the 1.100 OPS range, but I'd guess he'll be back in the .850-.900 range when healthy. Hitters that good for that long don't just completely fall off the map barring injury.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1800
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
1st basemen in particular have been hit hard, falling from an average .825 OPS to .766. (So as bad as Pujols seems compared to his past self, he's still perfectly cromulent for a 1B.)

There needs to forever be an asterisk next to this year's first base numbers just based on the Brewers alone trotting out two bad hitting shortstops (Alex Gonzalez, Yuniesky Betancourt) at first base for a good chunk of the year.

Last edited by lungs : 08-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote