Purely coincidence.

Surely and to say otherwise would be alternative facts
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #1752
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
See, one of the major problems I have with these blanket bans is I feel it will only increase radicalization. If I was ISIS or someone looking to recruit and/or radicalize others, then I'd love for a blanket ban that treats all people like they're terrorists to be implemented, because it's an easy thing to point to and show that America isn't just against violent, radical Muslims, they're against Islam in general.

Because they are short on reasons and ability to recruit as it is? Really?

Forget our immigration policy. As an entire country, we have already told Muslims we aren't with them. We allow gay marriage, are fine with transgender people, don't have an issue with women working or showing their faces, and don't think that it's acceptable to kill someone because they decided to change religions. (note: most polls show that well over 70% of Muslims from Middle Eastern/North African countries want Sharia law.)

I'm not with Trump on slamming the door shut on anyone from those countries coming here. But I'm not for just the standard "Oh, come on in, make yourself at home, I'm sure you are fine with our lifestyle and you'll fit in just fine" either.

As mentioned above, the complete lack of a middle ground causes us to fall prey to whoever is in power to make the decision for us. The fact that so many people were called "racists" for even wanting to have this discussion is a huge reason THE DONALD resides in The White House now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #1753
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The fact that so many people were called "racists" for even wanting to have this discussion is a huge reason THE DONALD resides in The White House now.

You mention something along these lines in pretty much every post of yours. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Last edited by nol : 01-27-2017 at 11:06 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #1754
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Because they are short on reasons and ability to recruit as it is? Really?

Never said that, but I don't think we should make it any easier for them. And I'm not sure why you keep bringing being called a racist. This is at least the third post you've responded to me where you've referred to that. I think we can agree that I haven't called you a racist, right?

It sounds like you and I agree that Trump's order was wrong, so I'm not sure why my post deserved another Troy rant. If you want to discuss the differences towards the current refugee policy (which I support) and your "middle ground" (which you didn't even explain), then fine. If you want to complain about being called a racist, then take it up with the people who have called you racist.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #1755
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Fun fact: banning Muslim immigration from the countries covered in this Executive Order would have kept exactly *0* of the murderers of 9/11, Orlando, or San Bernardino out of the country.

(Aren't those the three deadliest attacks on American soil by foreign or family-semi-recently-immigrated Muslims in the last, oh, 30 years, if not my lifetime, or am I missing some?)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #1756
Dutch
"Dutch"

Just watched a video on Facebook where Obama was calling for more infrastructure, security, and fencing to secure the Mexican border to stem the tide of illegal immigration.

I had no idea he would have ever said that. Thanks, Facebook!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #1757
Easy Mac

And that's one of the reasons illegal immigration was dropping. But somehow the rhetoric was it was getting worse.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #1758
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Fun fact: banning Muslim immigration from the countries covered in this Executive Order would have kept exactly *0* of the murderers of 9/11, Orlando, or San Bernardino out of the country.

(Aren't those the three deadliest attacks on American soil by foreign or family-semi-recently-immigrated Muslims in the last, oh, 30 years, if not my lifetime, or am I missing some?)

It's not as simple as that. The amount of support and resources and communities to get things done require a lot more than just the trigger hands. It requires lots of anti-Americans to be embedded in the country. Imagine an attempt today for a 9/11 against our security measures. It will simply require a lot more effort.

But nice try, Ben!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #1759
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
It's not as simple as that. The amount of support and resources and communities to get things done require a lot more than just the trigger hands. It requires lots of anti-Americans to be embedded in the country. Imagine an attempt today for a 9/11 against our security measures. It will simply require a lot more effort.

But nice try, Ben!

Out of interest then what network of 'anti-americans' were discovered as an active part of those attacks? ... I'm confused as I believed (possibly incorrectly) that most such terrorist setups worked with small 'cells' of people not interacting with others which is why it was so difficult to detect and prevent such things?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #1760
Ben E Lou

Quote:

But nice try, Ben!
So then if 9/11 would be so difficult now, then the greater risk is from one-off shooters like San B and Orlando--people whose origins would have been missed by this ill-conceived maneuver. My church is *deeply* involved in local refugee resettlement (mainly from Congo and Rwanda,) and I'm good friends with some who work in that field. The unintended consequences of this aren't worth the perception (not reality) of increased safety that it may bring to some portion of fearful Americans. Families waiting to be reunited will continue to be split; true Good Samaritans who work in that field will lose their jobs. My detailed thoughts on this are here:
Evangelicals and Refugees – Uncomfortable Places
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #1761
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But nice try, Ben!

The countries that had individuals help in 9/11 were Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and the Arab Emirates. Those countries are not on the ban list.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #1762
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks for posting that Ben.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #1763
digamma
Torchbearer

On the other hand, let me tell you about a bag of skittles.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #1764
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So then if 9/11 would be so difficult now, then the greater risk is from one-off shooters like San B and Orlando--people whose origins would have been missed by this ill-conceived maneuver. My church is *deeply* involved in local refugee resettlement (mainly from Congo and Rwanda,) and I'm good friends with some who work in that field. The unintended consequences of this aren't worth the perception (not reality) of increased safety that it may bring to some portion of fearful Americans. Families waiting to be reunited will continue to be split; true Good Samaritans who work in that field will lose their jobs. My detailed thoughts on this are here:

My church had just started talking about helping a Syrian family and now that's over.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #1765
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree, good post. My small church has a growing number of Somalis and Cameroon families. We could still support those that go to other countries and refugee camps.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #1766
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I used to live in Minnesota and most of the Somali refugees who were brought over were because of Christian missionaries.

Also looks like Russia found some double agents right after Trump became President.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/2....co/CE4BSMyft0
Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #1767
molson
General Manager

The first "wall" of the Trump administration is already up.

Refugees detained at U.S. airports challenge Trump’s executive order - The Washington Post

Last edited by molson : 01-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #1768
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
touche. I guess I could argue I was try to say they were already radicalized when they came here, since the discussion is banning them from even coming over. But I would argue I'm moving the goalposts.

I guess what I'm just trying to say is, I believe banning these people from even getting a chance to come over is worse for society than the threat they pose. I just see it as a way for a politician to play into ethnic/racial fears to score some cheap points at the expense of helping people.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think the vetting of refugees already in place was more than sufficient to prevent obvious current terrorists through, and much more stringent than most immigration or visa checks. (I'm more concerned that the female San Bernardino shooter got through since she apparently had obvious red flag social media posts.) And I dislike the fearmongering behind it that does more harm than good.

Plus if anything that concentration of known radicals from one specific community makes me want to ask what else is going on there, and not f.e. the Somali community in Southern Maine. Hopefully this dumb shit from Trump leads to better integration for those already here and going forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
See, one of the major problems I have with these blanket bans is I feel it will only increase radicalization. If I was ISIS or someone looking to recruit and/or radicalize others, then I'd love for a blanket ban that treats all people like they're terrorists to be implemented, because it's an easy thing to point to and show that America isn't just against violent, radical Muslims, they're against Islam in general.
The rhetoric sucks, but this isn't even close to a ban on Muslims (and also doesn't make any sense when you dig in - Trump says he wants to give priority to Syrian Christian refugees, which would seem to be prohibited by his own executive order.) And the type of person dumb enough to fall for a recruiter like that already has enough legitimate ammo & conspiracy theories to latch on to I don't think this actually matters.
Quote:

I think everyone on both sides of the spectrum can agree that IF there's to be a list like this that Saudi Arabia should be at the top of it (with Pakistan a close 2nd, and it's kinda weird that Afghanistan was left off), but apparently even Trump won't touch that 3rd rail.
Quote:
My church is *deeply* involved in local refugee resettlement (mainly from Congo and Rwanda,) and I'm good friends with some who work in that field. The unintended consequences of this aren't worth the perception (not reality) of increased safety that it may bring to some portion of fearful Americans. Families waiting to be reunited will continue to be split; true Good Samaritans who work in that field will lose their jobs. My detailed thoughts on this are here:
Dropping the quota hurts, but ignoring that (so I can play devil's advocate) doesn't a ban on refugees from other countries give more spots to Congolese refugees (who were a top 2 refugee group in the U.S. last year, along with the Burmese)? Since there's a limit anyway, isn't it just re-allocating who we help vs how many we help? For all the angst over this, a quota of 50,000 really isn't far off from the number of refugees accepted every year since the early 90's - and in fact it dropped to less than 30,000 in the 2 years after 9/11 without much consternation that I can recall.

When you really play it out as a thought exercise it gets into some weird places. What should decide which poor people we should help? Should we help poor Americans or much poorer foreigners first? There's a finite amount of resources to distribute, and at a certain point helping foreign refugees is just less resources you can help other people with, so where do you draw those lines? Everyone draws that line differently, and it's not an easy answer.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #1769
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

NPR weighs in on the issue

Here's a FB post by a friend of a friend yesterday:

"I watched a refugee's heart break today.

I've been working with Amar (not his real name) for a couple of months. His sister arrived a few weeks ago to join him-he was thrilled. Today he came to my office and asked when his parents and other sister will arrive in Spokane. I had to tell him that they aren't coming. He didn't understand. They were all registered together with the UN, so why would his parents and other sister not come soon? I told him our new president is probably signing a ban tomorrow that will permanently prevent people from his country from coming here as refugees. I saw his always present smile turn to shocked dismay. Then his eyes welled with tears. I turned away. I couldn't look him in the face anymore."

It's shameful that anyone is supporting this nonsense.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #1770
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Forget our immigration policy. As an entire country, we have already told Muslims we aren't with them. We allow gay marriage, are fine with transgender people, don't have an issue with women working or showing their faces, and don't think that it's acceptable to kill someone because they decided to change religions. (note: most polls show that well over 70% of Muslims from Middle Eastern/North African countries want Sharia law.)

In fairness, Evangelicals share many of those beliefs. Christians are to be given priority however.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #1771
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Dropping the quota hurts, but ignoring that (so I can play devil's advocate) doesn't a ban on refugees from other countries give more spots to Congolese refugees (who were a top 2 refugee group in the U.S. last year, along with the Burmese)? Since there's a limit anyway, isn't it just re-allocating who we help vs how many we help? For all the angst over this, a quota of 50,000 really isn't far off from the number of refugees accepted every year since the early 90's - and in fact it dropped to less than 30,000 in the 2 years after 9/11 without much consternation that I can recall.

When you really play it out as a thought exercise it gets into some weird places. What should decide which poor people we should help? Should we help poor Americans or much poorer foreigners first? There's a finite amount of resources to distribute, and at a certain point helping foreign refugees is just less resources you can help other people with, so where do you draw those lines? Everyone draws that line differently, and it's not an easy answer.

This is an interesting point but I'm pretty sure a law was passed during the Civil Rights era that prevents this from taking place. Basically you can't give preference to a nationality or place of birth when it comes to immigrant visas.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #1772
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If we're going to give preferences, number one should be people that help our intelligence and armed forces, number two should be people dislocated because of our bombs. After that it gets trickier for me, but helping those who help us and mitigating the damage we do in war should always be priorities.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #1773
Ben E Lou

Quote:
That's a question that I've thought about some. It partially boils down to percentages, of course, but the other real issue is the potential loss of positions within the industry. I'm now hearing rumors that World Relief may get *hammered* by this both short-term and long-term. i.e. They have to cut positions now due to loss of funding, and then if the flow actually does resume, they have a *much* harder time recruiting quality people to work for them because potential employees are concerned that the President might decide to do this again.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #1774
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If we're going to give preferences, number one should be people that help our intelligence and armed forces, number two should be people dislocated because of our bombs. After that it gets trickier for me, but helping those who help us and mitigating the damage we do in war should always be priorities.

If we're going to give preferences we should first change the law making it legal to give preferences.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #1775
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

It goes beyond that

Quote:
In fact, an analysis of terrorist attacks on US soil between 1975 and 2015, published by the Cato Institute, found that foreign nationals from the seven countries singled out by Trump’s executive order have killed zero Americans.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...utive-action?0

Last edited by Atocep : 01-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #1776
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm no lawyer, and maybe this will fly, but it seems really problematic to ban current green card holders as DHS says is now the policy. It's one thing to say, no new..., but how is it legal to say, these green cards don't count anymore, simply through an executive order?
Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #1777
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Deplorable wasn't an inaccurate descriptor.

After Trump's immigration ban, people flood social media with tales of stranded family
Old 01-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #1778
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is an interesting point but I'm pretty sure a law was passed during the Civil Rights era that prevents this from taking place. Basically you can't give preference to a nationality or place of birth when it comes to immigrant visas.
Actually immigration law does allow you to discriminate based on nationality. Whether religion is allowed is up for debate, and the ACLU/CAIR will certainly sue, but as late as the 1970's the Supreme Court was deferring to Congress & the White House's plenary power.

Could Donald Trump's Proposed Ban on Muslim Immigration be Constitutional? - The Atlantic
Quote:
That's a question that I've thought about some. It partially boils down to percentages, of course, but the other real issue is the potential loss of positions within the industry. I'm now hearing rumors that World Relief may get *hammered* by this both short-term and long-term. i.e. They have to cut positions now due to loss of funding, and then if the flow actually does resume, they have a *much* harder time recruiting quality people to work for them because potential employees are concerned that the President might decide to do this again.
Idk how they're structured, but I thought World Relief was a much broader organization? Guess I didn't realize they were also that federally funded, figured it was a higher % from donations.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #1779
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dual citizenship holders are being denied entry if one of the two is from a listed country. How long until our allies raise a fuss over denying entry of British, French, German, etc. citizens?
Old 01-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #1780
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually immigration law does allow you to discriminate based on nationality. Whether religion is allowed is up for debate, and the ACLU/CAIR will certainly sue, but as late as the 1970's the Supreme Court was deferring to Congress & the White House's plenary power.

I don't think it does. Doesn't this Act say they cant?

Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 - Wikipedia
Old 01-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #1781
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dual citizenship holders are being denied entry if one of the two is from a listed country. How long until our allies raise a fuss over denying entry of British, French, German, etc. citizens?

What a disaster. Not sure why someone in the Trump White House said, hey, lets think about some of the unintended issues involved and sign the executive order in a few weeks (not that I think the executive order has any good consequences, mind).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-28-2017 at 05:06 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #1782
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Interesting situation for athletes. Luol Deng who grew up in Britain would not be allowed to play a game in Toronto or do humanitarian aid overseas like he does each offseason.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #1783
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Cures for TB, Type 1 Diabetes, and Rheumatoid Arthritis aren't really important, are they?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #1784
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Federal judge blocks Trump immigration order

I hate being in a position that requires agreeing with the ACLU.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #1785
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Federal judge blocks Trump immigration order

I hate being in a position that requires agreeing with the ACLU.

Time to remove a federal judge, asap.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #1786
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Time to remove the president, asap.

Fixed that for you.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.

Last edited by Mantle2600 : 01-28-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #1787
molson
General Manager

One of the petitioners in the case in which the stay was granted worked for the U.S. military for 10 years in Iraq, which made him a target of violence from terrorist and insurgents. He was detained at JFK

Last edited by molson : 01-28-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #1788
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Which one of your "Christian" principles supports this?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #1789
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

11 PhD candidates in computer science from Columbia, a PhD student at Clemson who has a green card and has lived in the US for 7 years, the post doctoral researcher at Harvard that I linked to above, etc.

Yeah, those are exactly the people we want to keep out of the country.

If you happen to know someone who is affected by this and is stuck outside the US, airBnB co-founder Brian Chesky just shared this:

Not allowing countries or refugees into America is not right, and we must stand with those who are affected.
Airbnb is providing free housing to refugees and anyone else who needs it in the event they are denied the ability to board a US-bound flight and are not in your city/country of residence. We have 3M homes, so we can definitely find people a place to stay.
For more details, please reach me directly at [email protected].

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #1790
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Interesting situation for athletes. Luol Deng who grew up in Britain would not be allowed to play a game in Toronto or do humanitarian aid overseas like he does each offseason.

WWE wrestler Sami Zayn (real name Rami Sebei ) was born in Canada but has duel Syrian citizenship and is a Muslim. So he might be subject to the 90-day visa ban depending on his current status in the U.S. if he left for a overseas WWE tour and tried to come back (the DOJ said that the visa ban applies to citizens of one of the targeted countries even if they have a passport and/or citizenship from a different country). It all depends on how the DOJ and customs at the airport interprets the executive orders.

And his boss's wife works in the Trump administration.

Edit: It also could become an interesting issue with all kinds of international Olympic-sport competitions that the U.S. hosts.

Last edited by molson : 01-28-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #1791
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

Might want to check up on that ole thing called the Constitution.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #1792
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The stay only applies to those currently at airports with visas. There is at least one other filing on the order in general, but the current ruling is fairly narrow.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #1793
Radii
Head Coach

I've been moving and have watched no news or kept up with anything happening from any source in the last 48 hours. I feel sick.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:35 AM   #1794
kingfc22
Head Coach

So much ridiculousness going on with this administration that Bannon getting a permanent invite to the National Security Counsel meetings goes by practically unnoticed.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #1795
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The veteran in question here is Jeffrey Buchalter.

Also, Cory Booker has been at Dulles all night making sure the illegally detained have access to lawyers. The DNC would be wise to start getting his name out there right now for 2020.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-29-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:45 AM   #1796
Groundhog
Coordinator

What a dumpster fire.

We were hoping to head back to the US over the next 12-18 months to see my wife's family in Florida and Texas, but at this point I'm just going to sit this presidency out I think.

Last edited by Groundhog : 01-29-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:54 AM   #1797
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Some much needed levity amidst the dreck.

Spoiler for size.

Spoiler

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-29-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 AM   #1798
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Trump says he wants to give priority to Syrian Christian refugees, which would seem to be prohibited by his own executive order.)

Quote:
(b) Upon the resumption of USRAP admissions, the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, is further directed to make changes, to the extent permitted by law, to prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual’s country of nationality. Where necessary and appropriate, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security shall recommend legislation to the President that would assist with such prioritization.

(g) Notwithstanding a suspension pursuant to subsection (c) of this section or pursuant to a Presidential proclamation described in subsection (e) of this section, the Secretaries of State and Homeland Security may, on a case-by-case basis, and when in the national interest, issue visas or other immigration benefits to nationals of countries for which visas and benefits are otherwise blocked.
This is all under section 3.

tl;dr vet immigrants, keep muslims out, let non-muslims (christians) in
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 AM   #1799
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm no lawyer, and maybe this will fly, but it seems really problematic to ban current green card holders as DHS says is now the policy. It's one thing to say, no new..., but how is it legal to say, these green cards don't count anymore, simply through an executive order?

It was really stupid they didn't include this in the EO. They probably drafted it up and didn't let anyone from the Judicial branch look over it.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #1800
Groundhog
Coordinator

One hell of a week (pardon the pun).