Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #1751
tarcone
Coordinator

Hearing things out of central FL and Omaha that Frost to Nebby is a sure thing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #1752
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tis the season..

Scott Frost to Nebraska
Jeff Brohm to Tennessee
Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M
Willie Taggart to Florida State
Kevin Sumlin to Oregon
Seth Littrell to Oregon State
Arkansas will look at Mike Norvell

ASU fumbling...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #1753
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

You're hearing rumors linking Sumlin and Oregon? I'm not surprised, I just haven't seen reports on that connection yet.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:24 PM   #1754
Butter
Coordinator

As a carryover of an argument from Monday... Sagarin's divisional rankings for this year (though I take Sagarin with a grain of salt considering his constant over-valuing of Alabama):

SEC West - 82.14
ACC Atlantic - 80.31
B1G East - 79.47
Pac-12 North - 78.77
Big 12 - 78.18
ACC Coastal - 76.63
B1G West - 76.48
Pac-12 South - 75.90
SEC East - 71.90
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #1755
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Hearing things out of central FL and Omaha that Frost to Nebby is a sure thing.

I can't imagine how or why this wouldn't happen.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #1756
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
As a carryover of an argument from Monday... Sagarin's divisional rankings for this year (though I take Sagarin with a grain of salt considering his constant over-valuing of Alabama):

SEC West - 82.14
ACC Atlantic - 80.31
B1G East - 79.47
Pac-12 North - 78.77
Big 12 - 78.18
ACC Coastal - 76.63
B1G West - 76.48
Pac-12 South - 75.90
SEC East - 71.90

Well in the elo and blue numbers there is no bias by this time of the year so its really not over valuing anyone. You just dont agree with what his numbers are saying. Which is fine because I dont agree with his numbers either. I feel his rating system is outdated.

Ive been using F/+ by Football Outsiders more and more. They have had very high ratings for Ohio State all season long. I think a good ratings system needs to take it a step further and have a ceiling rating, floor rating, and mean rating. I think Ohio State probably has a higher ceiling than Alabama but with their lack of consistency they probably have a lower floor and lower mean rating. Out of these different ratings which one you use to decide the playoff teams is a completely different debate.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-29-2017 at 12:54 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #1757
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Originally the thinking had been he'd prefer the Florida job to minimize the uprooting of his family (he's got a newborn at home), but with that job filled he's probably more prepared now to be the conquering hero returning home.

A bit surprising his name isn't being thrown around more in the potential opening at Florida State...
Old 11-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #1758
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Well in the elo and blue numbers there is no bias by this time of the year so its really not over valuing anyone. You just dont agree with what his numbers are saying. Which is fine because I dont agree with his numbers either. I feel his rating system is outdated.

Yes, I don't agree with some of his numbers... but I think these division numbers are fairly close.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #1759
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Oregon State's mascot is the Beavers, and the two names most often mentioned today for their vacant head football coach job are Dennis Erickson and Jim McElwain. Coincidence? I think not.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #1760
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

The only thing I've read from the rumor and innuendo boards is that Frost is known to be a huge [insert noun here] and is not really on good terms with the Nebraska brass, yet they feel great public pressure to hire him.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #1761
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Tis the season..

Scott Frost to Nebraska
Jeff Brohm to Tennessee
Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M
Willie Taggart to Florida State
Kevin Sumlin to Oregon
Seth Littrell to Oregon State
Arkansas will look at Mike Norvell

ASU fumbling...
Honestly, I wouldn't touch the Tennessee job with a 10-foot pole. Georgia is light years ahead of them and they will almost always be behind Alabama, Auburn and Georgia in the conference. At best, they are competing with LSU, South Carolina and Florida for spots 4-7. Cross reference that reality with a fan base that thinks they should be top 10 every season and it is a recipe for disaster. What happens when they open a season with Georgia, Alabama, Florida and South Carolina and the new coach goes 1-3? He will get death threats and social media Armageddon. I'd rather go to Oregon, Nebraska or even Arizona State (and I'm an Arizona grad) and have a chance to build a real program. Best case, this next coach gets 3-4 years at Tennessee - it's mission impossible from a college football standpoint.

Last edited by Arles : 11-29-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #1762
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oregon State's mascot is the Beavers, and the two names most often mentioned today for their vacant head football coach job are Dennis Erickson and Jim McElwain. Coincidence? I think not.
The whole trial balloon idea of Erickson going back to Oregon State a 2nd time with Jonathan Smith as a HC-in-waiting is bizarre to me. They should hire Beau Baldwin and be done with it.

Last edited by dawgfan : 11-29-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #1763
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't touch the Tennessee job with a 10-foot pole. Georgia is light years ahead of them and they will almost always be behind Alabama, Auburn and Georgia in the conference. At best, they are competing with LSU, South Carolina and Florida for spots 4-7.

You realize that you just put Auburn in that group despite the fact they might have been one more loss away from having to fire Malzahn mid-season. And is just two years removed from being 7-6.

And Saban IS 66 now. Sooner or later, etc.

Georgia certainly looks well-positioned, ain't no lie. But there's certainly room for either UT or UF to be in that top three, where both spent their share of time.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #1764
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Auburn has been 1st, 4th, 7th, 3rd and 1st in 5 seasons under Malzahn. It's pretty clear they are a top 2-3 program right now in the SEC. Alabama will be top 2 until Saban retires (atleast the past the length of the next Tennessee coach) and Georgia is setup for a nice run with Kirby Smart. I expect Mullen to do well in Florida and there's no sign of South Carolina slowing down with Muschamp. In the 9 years since Fulmer retired, Tennessee has been to 4 bowl games and had one over .500 season in the SEC. They've basically run off three coaches (plus one who didn't even make 2 hours). Butch Jones went 9-4 in back to back seasons and got run out of town after a 4-6 start.

At best, their new coach will come in and build to a 4th/5th place SEC finish in 3 years. You think that's good enough for their fans? If you told me that the new coach would have 5 seasons to create his own program, I'd say he could maybe reach top 3 in the SEC. But in the last 9 seasons, they've had 5 coaches (3 full-time, 2 interim) plus a couple hours of Schiano. There's no way this new coach gets 5 seasons unless he's top 10 by year 3 - and that isn't happening.

Last edited by Arles : 11-29-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #1765
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't touch the Tennessee job with a 10-foot pole. Georgia is light years ahead of them and they will almost always be behind Alabama, Auburn and Georgia in the conference. At best, they are competing with LSU, South Carolina and Florida for spots 4-7. Cross reference that reality with a fan base that thinks they should be top 10 every season and it is a recipe for disaster. What happens when they open a season with Georgia, Alabama, Florida and South Carolina and the new coach goes 1-3? He will get death threats and social media Armageddon. I'd rather go to Oregon, Nebraska or even Arizona State (and I'm an Arizona grad) and have a chance to build a real program. Best case, this next coach gets 3-4 years at Tennessee - it's mission impossible from a college football standpoint.

To mention SC and UT in the same Tier of job is an insult to Tiers of Coaching jobs.

I'm not UT fan but I'd argue it is the 3rd or 4th best job in the SEC. Florida and (now) Alabama are clearly ahead of UT. Bama because of Bama and Florida because of access to talent. UGA and UT are essentially equal programs, though I'd give a nod to UT because or higher attendance, more recent success, and being the lone P5 school in your home state.

Tennessee has a LOT of local talent. They just need a coach who can secure it and motivate the donor base. The word sleeping giant is thrown around a lot, but they are the epitome of the word in my humble opinion.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #1766
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Auburn has been 1st, 4th, 7th, 3rd and 1st in 5 seasons under Malzahn. It's pretty clear they are a top 2-3 program right now in the SEC.

This year, yes. But under Malzahn they've finished ranked 24th, Unranked, 22nd, Unranked, and 2nd. That's not any sort of consistent success, that's why he was on the hot seat less than two months ago. Let's not go crowning their asses just yet.

Quote:
Alabama will be top 2 until Saban retires (atleast the past the length of the next Tennessee coach) and Georgia is setup for a nice run with Kirby Smart.

Agreed on both of those points.

Quote:
I expect Mullen to do well in Florida and there's no sign of South Carolina slowing down with Muschamp.

I think Mullen will get them just under where McIlvaine got them (due to the improvement of Georgia) but that's about it. And I don't know how much of a bar that is for SC. Since the Spurrier peak ended, they've won 7,3,6, and now 8 games.

Do I see this hire being the one that gets UT to The Promised Land? No, 'cause that coach probably isn't out there this time.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #1767
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
there's no sign of South Carolina slowing down with Muschamp.

This is a joke, right?
SC went 2-4 this year against teams with .500 records.
They won 8 games.
2 were against FCS competition.
3 were against teams that fired their coach.
of the remaining 3 theire is Vandy and Mizzou.

SC has a mirage record and even their fans know it. They are about to fire their OC. Oh and they graduate 14 of their 22 starters. Their stadium is a dump, that is located in the heart of an industrial dump zone. They have won 8 games or more only 12 times in their 125 years of playing college football.

To put that into perspective UT has won 8 or more 10 times since 2000. This time period includes the best run in SC history (Spurrier) and the worst period in UT history.

It is a historically bad take to equate UT with SC in terms of football greatness.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #1768
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Oregon State skips the whole "head coach in waiting" thing for Jonathan Smith that Dennis Erickson was pitching and will just hire Smith:

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/s...60756209586176
Old 11-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #1769
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
To mention SC and UT in the same Tier of job is an insult to Tiers of Coaching jobs.

I'm not UT fan but I'd argue it is the 3rd or 4th best job in the SEC. Florida and (now) Alabama are clearly ahead of UT. Bama because of Bama and Florida because of access to talent. UGA and UT are essentially equal programs, though I'd give a nod to UT because or higher attendance, more recent success, and being the lone P5 school in your home state.

Tennessee has a LOT of local talent. They just need a coach who can secure it and motivate the donor base. The word sleeping giant is thrown around a lot, but they are the epitome of the word in my humble opinion.

While I'm with you, I think the problem is that their donor base is already too motivated. Said another way, their fans and donors need to realize that just because they have all those positives going for them, it doesn't entitle you to be treated like a top program until you can actually back it up on the field again.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #1770
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
though I'd give a nod to UT because or higher attendance, more recent success, and being the lone P5 school in your home state

/GT shoots double-bird at Vandy
Old 11-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #1771
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
/GT shoots double-bird at Vandy

D'Oh..... I never think about Vandy.
My bad.

Still cant remember the last time Vandy signed a single recruit UT wanted....and I imagine it happens occasionally at GT.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #1772
Butter
Coordinator

If this is Muschamp "not slowing down" at SCAR, I think Clemson fans want them to ride that train all the way around the world.

Because they are not good. See the SEC East rating from above. They were good enough to beat a batch of very bad teams. Probably historically the worst that division will ever be. I was hoping they would give Muschamp a nice long extension, I am almost rooting for them in their bowl game so that will happen. But any SEC East teams that make a bowl game are going to get crushed (outside of Georgia).

Last edited by Butter : 11-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #1773
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
D'Oh..... I never think about Vandy.
My bad.

Still cant remember the last time Vandy signed a single recruit UT wanted....and I imagine it happens occasionally at GT.

Vandy has two in state four star guys who were apparently on Tennessee's top tier list this year. One of them was a Tennessee decommit.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #1774
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
This is a joke, right?
SC went 2-4 this year against teams with .500 records.
They won 8 games.
2 were against FCS competition.
3 were against teams that fired their coach.
of the remaining 3 theire is Vandy and Mizzou.
I meant that in 4 of the last 6 years, SC has finished above Tennessee. Given this was Muschamp's second year and they went 5-3 in the SEC, I expect they will continue to improve at a better rate than Tennesee with a new coach next season (and not his own players).

Quote:
It is a historically bad take to equate UT with SC in terms of football greatness.
SC has 40 conference wins and 1 East title in the 9 years since Fulmer left, UT has 23 conference wins and 0 East titles in that timeframe. Tennessee is a little like Nebraska in that their name (and their fan's self evaluation) hasn't matched the reality for the past decade (but atleast Nebraska was winning consistently 6-8 years ago). It's going to take time to rebuild this program into one capable of competing with the top tier - and I've seen no sign from their fans that they possess the patience required to let a coach settle in and create a new program. If they aren't going 10-3 by year 3, there will be a massive chorus to fire him. Their expectations for a quick fix are just not realistic given where they are in reference to other programs in the SEC. The reality is that UT is a lot closer to SC than it is to Alabama, Auburn or Georgia right now.

Last edited by Arles : 11-29-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #1775
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Oregon State skips the whole "head coach in waiting" thing for Jonathan Smith that Dennis Erickson was pitching and will just hire Smith:

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/s...60756209586176

I was hoping we would go with Baldwin, he seemed like the right guy for the job. But it certainly won’t be hard to cheer for Smith to succeed, loved him as a player.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #1776
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Well no, I can't name twelve schools that are in the top-10 all-time for wins. But generally I'd put most if not all of those teams up there, outside maybe Nebraska. Plus Georgia, LSU, Florida, FSU. Probably Auburn. Clemson is kinda on their way there. Even then though, there's a bit of "what have you done for me lately." When were most of those titles, in the 40s? Might as well have been for kids.

I don't think the history really matters (did you know Vandy used to be a powerhouse?), it really is more of the conditions. Tennessee should be a top 10-15 program given the recruitment base, money in the program, and potential visibility for recruits. I don't think Schiano was a good fit there, but if the could get "that guy," the guy who can coach as well as recruit Tennessee and pull from Georgia-Florida-Kentucky (which anyone in Tennessee must be able to do), the program will be back.

Quote:

Very much this. The only thing I do think Georgia has the edge in recruiting base (Tennessee is not Georgia when it comes to talent), but just about everything else is equal. A coach that could get Tennessee hot for a couple of years has every opportunity to make that a designation school again (and I say that as a full-on Vols hater).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #1777
GrantDawg

Quote:
I meant that in 4 of the last 6 years, SC has finished above Tennessee. Given this was Muschamp's second year and they went 5-3 in the SEC, I expect they will continue to improve at a better rate than Tennesee with a new coach next season (and not his own players).

SC has 40 conference wins and 1 East title in the 9 years since Fulmer left, UT has 23 conference wins and 0 East titles in that timeframe. Tennessee is a little like Nebraska in that their name (and their fan's self evaluation) hasn't matched the reality for the past decade (but atleast Nebraska was winning consistently 6-8 years ago). It's going to take time to rebuild this program into one capable of competing with the top tier - and I've seen no sign from their fans that they possess the patience required to let a coach settle in and create a new program. If they aren't going 10-3 by year 3, there will be a massive chorus to fire him. Their expectations for a quick fix are just not realistic given where they are in reference to other programs in the SEC. The reality is that UT is a lot closer to SC than it is to Alabama, Auburn or Georgia right now.

Right now is the key words, but you are underestimating potential. SC is not in the same position recruiting base wise as Tennessee. South Carolina the state does not have the talent pool that Tennessee has, they have another powerhouse school in state to compete with, they don't have the donor base, and it is much harder from them to pull the talent from out-of-state. That's the reason Spurrier had a cap on how much success he could have there, and the same with Lou Holtz. Recent success is great, but prospects of long term and sustained success really is toward Tennessee.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #1778
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Right now is the key words, but you are underestimating potential. SC is not in the same position recruiting base wise as Tennessee. South Carolina the state does not have the talent pool that Tennessee has, they have another powerhouse school in state to compete with, they don't have the donor base, and it is much harder from them to pull the talent from out-of-state. That's the reason Spurrier had a cap on how much success he could have there, and the same with Lou Holtz. Recent success is great, but prospects of long term and sustained success really is toward Tennessee.
I agree completely. If they invested in a coach for 5+ years, I bet they could get back to where they were under Fulmer. The problem is I don't see the fanbase willing to make that investment. Either someone comes in and wins quick or we move to the next guy. Plus, as much as a dumpster fire they've been since the Schiano disaster is scaring away potential good fits. They need a patient fan base to rebuild, but their fan base won't accept a losing season or two. What they really need is an AD with brass balls to come in, bring his guy in and tell the fans he's going to be there for a while.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #1779
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Dola, looks like both Gundy and Brohm aren't going to be the coach. Now UT is looking at the NC State coach.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #1780
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA OC would be a dynamic hire for Petersen as OC
Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #1781
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA OC would be a dynamic hire for Petersen as OC
You're not a fan of Fisch eh?

Most likely scenario is he promotes Lubick (who is already co-OC) and hires a new QB coach (maybe Kellen Moore is ready to move on from his playing career?)

He might kick the tires on Bush Hamdan too, see if an OC or co-OC title at the college level can lure him away from the NFL. Or he could turn to Helfrich, although if that were a serious possibility I'm a little surprised he didn't already have him on staff this past season as a consultant.

He could also see about trying to swipe Taylor from Utah.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #1782
Atocep
Coordinator

Herm Edwards to ASU is a joke right?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #1783
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #1784
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
it really is more of the conditions. Tennessee should be a top 10-15 program given the recruitment base, money in the program, and potential visibility for recruits

I suppose - I just wonder how many other programs might be out there that could, if they wanted to, approach the same. For instance, could Maryland? The state really has no other programs, it's reasonably well off, and population-wise they're really not that different from Tennessee. They're probably not as rabid about football (well, non-NFL), and they certainly don't have a winning pedigree of late. But if some other alumni networks could bet behind a program to the same degree, and they build on some successes, why not?

(not saying it will ever happen, but it conceivably could)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-29-2017 at 08:38 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #1785
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You're not a fan of Fisch eh?

Most likely scenario is he promotes Lubick (who is already co-OC) and hires a new QB coach (maybe Kellen Moore is ready to move on from his playing career?)

He might kick the tires on Bush Hamdan too, see if an OC or co-OC title at the college level can lure him away from the NFL. Or he could turn to Helfrich, although if that were a serious possibility I'm a little surprised he didn't already have him on staff this past season as a consultant.

He could also see about trying to swipe Taylor from Utah.
No, I'm a big fan
Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 AM   #1786
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Count me in, too. Fisch is terrific. I am hoping we find a way to keep him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:41 AM   #1787
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #1788
GrantDawg

Quote:
I suppose - I just wonder how many other programs might be out there that could, if they wanted to, approach the same. For instance, could Maryland? The state really has no other programs, it's reasonably well off, and population-wise they're really not that different from Tennessee. They're probably not as rabid about football (well, non-NFL), and they certainly don't have a winning pedigree of late. But if some other alumni networks could bet behind a program to the same degree, and they build on some successes, why not?

(not saying it will ever happen, but it conceivably could)

It's a good question. Maryland could be considered on that level of potential because it could "own the state," but it's football talent pool is probably closer to Kentucky than Tennessee. It is more of a basketball area, and the high-school basketball teams probably win the battles for top talent more than they do in Tennessee. Also, the SEC draw is what helps Tennessee pull from Georgia-Florida, and Maryland just doesn't have that.

Let me break this down in my view. There are three states that can support multiple major programs on their state's talent pool alone. Florida, California, and Texas. Then there are a handful of states that can really produce one maybe two major programs on their talent pool alone. Georgia-Alabama-Pennsylvania-Ohio-Michigan-Oklahoma. Maybe a couple of others, but even those last two really depend on board states more (and really so does Alabama) I think. Tennessee is in a larger pool of states that have a talent pool that can support one major school, but has to have a pipe-line into one of the major three areas or access to several other states to fill the gaps in talent. And Tennessee already does. They just need the right coach to make better recruiting decisions and then produce it on the field.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-30-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #1789
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

What the ... lmao

A conversation between Erik Ainge and Land Kiffin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171130_072318.jpg (198.3 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by mauchow : 12-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #1790
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers could absolutely contend if they pulled in all of the top Jersey kids and supplemented from other states. If you add in Staten Island and Brooklyn as "Jersey" (being closer to the state than those areas are to New York State) with how football has developed there over the past decade it's even easier.

If we had our version of Maryland/Kevin Plank, a lot of those boxes would be checked off. The infusion of real B1G money is getting closer but we're still so far behind the powerhouses in conference from a resource standpoint that it's more like treading water.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #1791
cuervo72
Head Coach

Right, Rutgers is another one I thought of. They and Maryland were brought on I think as couple of patsies as much as television markets, but there's some alumni money that could be tapped into and population to draw from. But it would seem like many of the ingredients for possible success would be there.

(If kids in the region are actually playing football, between space, money, health issues)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-30-2017 at 09:40 AM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #1792
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rutgers could absolutely contend if they pulled in all of the top Jersey kids and supplemented from other states. If you add in Staten Island and Brooklyn as "Jersey" (being closer to the state than those areas are to New York State) with how football has developed there over the past decade it's even easier.

If we had our version of Maryland/Kevin Plank, a lot of those boxes would be checked off. The infusion of real B1G money is getting closer but we're still so far behind the powerhouses in conference from a resource standpoint that it's more like treading water.

Rutgersal will be right some day.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #1793
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Jimbo to A&M. Problems with the AD had him listening to offers and FSU doesn't want him to coach the ULM game if he's leaving so an announcement may come as early as today.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #1794
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Doeren says no to UT.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #1795
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

IIRC, Schiano was starting that process (though initially he focused on South Florida, where he had been before) at Rutgers. But years and years of other big time schools taking Jersey talent (Penn State in particular) was hard to reverse.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #1796
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Herm Edwards to ASU is a joke right?
Sounds like this is a done deal. I don't get it either. It appeared that both Sumlin and Mack Brown were interested in the ASU job. Brown even said in an interview he would listen if ASU called. If I'm going with an old fossil at coach, I'm going with the guy who has atleast been relevant and won in college football over the last 10 years in Brown.

All I can see is that ASU AD Ray Anderson used to be the agent for Herm and maybe wants "his guy" for this hire. It still seems like they could have done better.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #1797
GrantDawg

Quote:
Right, Rutgers is another one I thought of. They and Maryland were brought on I think as couple of patsies as much as television markets, but there's some alumni money that could be tapped into and population to draw from. But it would seem like many of the ingredients for possible success would be there.

(If kids in the region are actually playing football, between space, money, health issues)

I'm with you both on Rutgers. It may more be the administration (I'm not saying I know that, just guessing) than the potential they really have. It seems with the right direction, they should be able to at least became regularly nationally ranked.
Which again makes me question Schiano. He had success and pulled in some major talent for awhile. But really had one great season and a few decent ones. Doing what he didf at Rutgers was seen as a major accomplishment, but if you really look at the situation you can legitimately ask why anyone else hasn't done it. The possibility is there.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #1798
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Schiano couldn't gameday coach himself out of a paper bag. And they never had a quarterback. He did a hell of a job turning the Block R into something to be proud of athletically in a way that minor sports wouldn't manage. He'd have been a decent Barry Alvarez type of AD because people seemed to be buying what he was selling, but especially in those later years, it was clear he wasn't going to be the guy to get the program over the mountaintop.

The biggest mistake they made after him was giving Flood the head job to waste time undoing what Schiano was able to build. Not sure there was another "JERSEY FIRST" guy that could've taken the mantle afterwards, but a decent coach could've perhaps stopped the bleeding before it got to where it is now.

Best case scenario is that Ash is able to get them over the hump and when he does leave, has them in a better position to elevate to the next rung. But that doesn't happen with Schiano being able to communicate a dream and build a staff around it. We're talking effectively a FCS program that he turned into a Top 25 team, no matter how weak people thing the Big East was.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-30-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #1799
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Doing what he didf at Rutgers was seen as a major accomplishment, but if you really look at the situation you can legitimately ask why anyone else hasn't done it. The possibility is there.

As you referred to, the school has never been one that has ever really been interested in throwing money around at college sports. I'm a bit surprised they built the football stadium. They'll never match the funding of a Penn State or Notre Dame, which have mined New Jersey for decades. Schiano, somehow, was able to break through that quite a bit, but it isn't a high priority for the school, so it'll always be a bit more difficult. I just remember when I was in high school there was a kid on my street that was a Rutgers fan and we just laughed at him wondering why.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #1800
GrantDawg

I'll add (I know I'm going crazy on this, but I have long that about this kind of subject. And I obviously love brain-storming with others on it. Plus, I've spent the last several years not writing anything, and now I'm in a new job that is requiring more writing. So, I need the practice. )

What makes some states more prominent than others for football recruiting is the level of importance the high school football programs have. You can't just base it on population (What is the major nationally prominent football program in New York state?). Money in the high school programs and talent going into those programs makes a huge difference. Just by population, it would make you think that a school in New York, Illinois, North Carolina and New Jersey should break out at any moment. But right now the talent in those states are getting sucked out by major programs just on their borders, and across the country (with the caveat of North Carolina. Basketball area, but also 4 major programs within a short drive of each other competing for the talent that stays in state).

Again, though. I'd say Rutgers have advantages that the other schools in those states don't. They can pull talent from New Jersey, New York and the Philadelphia area. With money, they could develop pipelines further. The right coach can help as well. Wasn't that really Schiano's success there? He had just came from Miami and was able to pull talent from South Florida at least for awhile?