Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #1751
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I thought Sylar doing the Issac "white eyes" was merely him trying to find out what his future was. It seems that Sylar can exercise far more control over powers than the original holders of them (see how he contained the super hearing), so I think Sylar can go into "white eyes" mode and then remember what he saw without having to actually paint it.

Then again, the last scene did show Sylar on the ground. There is a theory that Sylar may be dead, but someone else (Invisible Man or another baddie) pulled him into the manhole.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #1752
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Did they ever really explain how exactly Sylar took powers from others? It obviously had something to do with their brains, but did he eat them, or extract something from them or just study their brains and then alter their own?

When I saw the flashing in Sylar's eyes, I had the impression that it was his life flashing, but maybe it was his victims' powers leaving him. You would think one of the heroes would have panicked though if they suddenly realized that Sylar had disappeared. It looked like his blood was simply running into the sewer. Hopefully he's gone for good.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #1753
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Speaking of Ted Sprague, he seemed to be fine whenever he "exploded", maybe not at the magnitude that Peter did, but I would think with regeneration, Peter could somehow survive.

Sprague's power seemed to include protecting himself from the radiation. Peter is fine... unless Peter can't breathe (because he's too high in the atmosphere).
Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #1754
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
When I saw the flashing in Sylar's eyes, I had the impression that it was his life flashing, but maybe it was his victims' powers leaving him. You would think one of the heroes would have panicked though if they suddenly realized that Sylar had disappeared. It looked like his blood was simply running into the sewer. Hopefully he's gone for good.

That is what I was thinking, but I have heard theories from people about him being dragged down. I guess they left it open so they could essentially do that, or use Sylar in a plot line again rather than kill him off.

As for Sylar honing the skills faster, I think he did that because the people who initially had them, some of them weren't sure what it was. They thought something was wrong with them. Dale complained of hearing too much so she used loud music to mask. Zane didn't leave his house because he was afraid he would melt things. In essence, Sylar knew he was gaining a super power and wanted to figure out how to use it, not be in fear of it and try to hide it. That is why it seemed like he was better at having the power in my opinion.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #1755
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sprague's power seemed to include protecting himself from the radiation. Peter is fine... unless Peter can't breathe (because he's too high in the atmosphere).

Another thought on this, is Peter is an empath right? So he also had the ability to fly....WHY DIDN'T HE JUST SHOOT UP INTO THE SKY WITHOUT NATHAN?!?!?!?!?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #1756
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I liked it.

I love that Nathan turned out to be a good guy and sacrificed himself. It was the best thing to do for the show. I think it would be pretty silly and out of character to have Claire shoot Peter under the rationale that "I shoot him, he stops exploding, and then he'll heal. Yay team!" There was no guarantee that anything short of killing Peter dead would have stopped him from exploding. It would have been terribly anti-climactic. I thought the solution to the problem was great.

The only clumsy part of the climax, I thought, was Niki running in, smacking Sylar with the parking meter and then running away. I love the fact that she used the parking meter (classic comic book slugfest material), but it was just executed poorly.

I also felt like the illusion girl should have turned into her "natural" form when she was knocked unconcious. I was waiting for it, it would have been a great little scene and they blew it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #1757
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another thought on this, is Peter is an empath right? So he also had the ability to fly....WHY DIDN'T HE JUST SHOOT UP INTO THE SKY WITHOUT NATHAN?!?!?!?!?

I'd imagine the nuke was overwhelming everything else. So that he couldn't exercise any other powers while the nuke was taking hold of him.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #1758
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

He had control issues with his powers. I don't think he was capable of much of anything other than trying his best not to explode, which he really wasn't apparently all that capable of anyway.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #1759
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

Lack of control. We know Peter needed to essentially summon the feelings he got about the person he took the power from in order to use them. But whenever he started picking up Ted's power, he was nervous, stressed, and losing control. So... he gets stressed, he starts going nuclear, it feeds itself, and he can't bring himself out to think about Nathan. For that matter, whenever he started to go nuclear, he wasn't able (I think) to use any of his other powers either... we didn't see him TK, or go invisible while burning.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #1760
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
He had control issues with his powers. I don't think he was capable of much of anything other than trying his best not to explode, which he really wasn't apparently all that capable of anyway.

Wouldn't that be because he just learned/absorbed those powers recently? He has had flying capabilities for a while now, longer than the invisibility, which he seems to be pretty good at using.

I also wonder why in the future, if there was this "Really Evil" person, why he wasn't mentioned at all then? If Molly knew about him in present day, you would figure someone would've inquired about him/her, also considering the fact that they thought Sylar was dead.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #1761
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Wouldn't that be because he just learned/absorbed those powers recently? He has had flying capabilities for a while now, longer than the invisibility, which he seems to be pretty good at using.

I also wonder why in the future, if there was this "Really Evil" person, why he wasn't mentioned at all then? If Molly knew about him in present day, you would figure someone would've inquired about him/her, also considering the fact that they thought Sylar was dead.

Peter was pretty good at invisibility, but I don't think it was because he had it "longer", but rather he had practiced at it more. In any event, he was going nuclear and, like discussed above, it took all of his concentration to try and hold it off as long as possible. Using another power seemed pretty much out of the question. I think it makes sense.

As to the "Really Evil" person, it was 5 years in the future. Maybe he was already dead. Maybe Sylar had killed him. Maybe he died in the blast. Who knows?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #1762
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He could be someone completely behind the scenes.

But now he comes out in this new timeline.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-22-2007 at 08:46 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #1763
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I think that the "really bad guy" that Molly alluded to crawled up out of the sewer and dragged Sylar down the manhole.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #1764
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I think that the "really bad guy" that Molly alluded to crawled up out of the sewer and dragged Sylar down the manhole.

C.H.U.D?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #1765
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Peter and Nathan presumed dead. Sylar still alive.

Bah!

I don't assume Peter is dead. I'd be surprised if Sylar is though.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #1766
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Molly probably died in the original blast, so she wouldn't have been able to tell anyone about him. He could be a criminal mastermind working behind the scenes. He being unknown in the future isn't all that crazy.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #1767
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Was anyone disappointed with how easily Hiro was able to stab Sylar? Sylar never let surprise overcome him before, so it seemed odd that he did this time.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #1768
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Was anyone disappointed with how easily Hiro was able to stab Sylar? Sylar never let surprise overcome him before, so it seemed odd that he did this time.

Well wouldn't this play into the belief that you have to be focused on one thing, and can only use one power at a time? At that point he had Peter in a Darth Vader death grip. I wondered the same thing, he just stopped bullets, why couldn't he just stop the sword and send it flying back at Hiro? Probably because he would've had to let go of Peter to do so.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #1769
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I also saw it as a moment of over-confidence. He didn't think Hiro had the "balls" to do it, since he was so weak before. That combination of things made it seem plausible.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #1770
Daimyo
College Starter

My first thought for the guy Molly mentioned was the Haitian. He can block mental super powers and erase minds. I don't think the person Molly fears necessarily has to be super powerful like Sylar... he just has to get into her head when she uses her power.

I think its best for the show for Peter and Sylar to be dead as they are too overpowered compared to everyone else and the longer they stick around the harder it will be to write around that. Unfortunately I imagine they're both still alive. We know Peter could survive the explosion so its likely he'll just fall back to earth and regenerate. I think they made it pretty clear at the end that Sylar survived.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #1771
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well wouldn't this play into the belief that you have to be focused on one thing, and can only use one power at a time? At that point he had Peter in a Darth Vader death grip. I wondered the same thing, he just stopped bullets, why couldn't he just stop the sword and send it flying back at Hiro? Probably because he would've had to let go of Peter to do so.

If he can "catch" 5 bullets fired at him, I would think he'd be able to grab two people at the same time. It wasn't necessarily a big problem for me that he got stabbed, I was just hoping for something a bit more grand.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #1772
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

I like this theory the best - Sylar didn't have the regeneration ability so if he gets a sword stuck through him and lives that would be stupid (not that the creators of the show haven't left other gaps wide open at places). Maybe someone from the next evil organization or the next "really bad guy" took him down to study him or maybe even heal him, who knows, nothing is impossible on the show but I would prefer that Sylar stayed dead and we saw a new bad guy next season. Actually I'm kind of hoping that volume 2 shows how everyone got to the point they were at with volume 1. Give us some detail on Linderman, Hiro's father, Mr and Mrs Petrelli, Charles...how they discovered their powers, how they came together etc...
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #1773
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I think the flashing of Sylar's eyes (anyone know what was shown?) and the fade to white was him dying? Was that his life flashing before his eyes? Unless they write it later that he killed some other person we didn't see that had some sort of ability we don't know?
I agree with others that this is him using Issac's "future painting power" as Issac's eyes turned that same color of white. They set this up earlier where you saw Sylar painting and the "image" through his eyes before he started painting. So, in the final scene, Sylar replayed the final stage prior to him being stabbed to almost gloat internally about him setting up Peter to be the bomb. If you look at the quick images, they were all the events leading up to Peter blowing up.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #1774
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
If he can "catch" 5 bullets fired at him, I would think he'd be able to grab two people at the same time. It wasn't necessarily a big problem for me that he got stabbed, I was just hoping for something a bit more grand.

Both were the same power though, wasn't he holding Peter up using Telekenisis and that is how he stopped the bullets? Focus though is a problem.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #1775
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Both were the same power though, wasn't he holding Peter up using Telekenisis and that is how he stopped the bullets? Focus though is a problem.

It has to be easier to focus on two people than to focus on 5 bullets..except for the possible fact that he couldn't see both people at the same time.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #1776
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

imo, the reason he couldnt control the nuclear power was that he had now absorbed it twice. first he absorbed it from ted, then he absorbed it from sylar, so it doubled in intensity. only issac and ted had their powers absorbed by peter, and then taken by sylar (and taken by peter again), and we have no idea what may have happened with issac's powers if peter hadnt exploded.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #1777
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well Ted couldn't control it either, don't think it's a stretch with Peter. Sylar was able to control all his powers better than anyone. He's more the exception than the norm.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #1778
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I also saw it as a moment of over-confidence. He didn't think Hiro had the "balls" to do it, since he was so weak before. That combination of things made it seem plausible.

Ditto. I think Sylar saw Hiro with the sword and thought he failed to do it once before, why would he be able to do it now?

Caught him offguard that Hiro actually was willing to stab him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Sylar was able to control all his powers better than anyone. He's more the exception than the norm.

Actually I think that's a part of Sylar's power. Because he is able to minutely understand the powers he absorbs, he is far better able to control them. Peter just absorbs powers and then has to figure out how to control them. Sylar takes powers by finding out how they work and then implanting that into himself.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #1779
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sylar never had to fight more than one person before. Interestingly, when he was going against Hiro and Ando, he didn't use any of his abilities against Hiro, although he did deal with two people at once (Peter plus Bennett and Peter plus Parkman) in the final fight.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #1780
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I recall Molly being afraid to focus on the one person, but I don't think there's anything explicit to say that he's bad. I think it's entirely possible that he's not.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #1781
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Sylar never had to fight more than one person before. Interestingly, when he was going against Hiro and Ando, he didn't use any of his abilities against Hiro, although he did deal with two people at once (Peter plus Bennett and Peter plus Parkman) in the final fight.

He did fight both Parkman and his girl partner at the beginning of the season...at least I think he fought them both at the same time. My memory could be faulty.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #1782
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I rewatched the scene, and that is my guess as well. It definitely wasn't Sylar's hand but the bug on the manhole.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #1783
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm really enjoying the series, but I sincerely hope the writing tightens up next year. This season there were/are just too many situations/powers that are left up in the air. I know everything can't be clarified immediately, but more and more it just feels like they're throwing stuff out there, hoping people find it cool and just won't ask too many questions about it later on.

As far as season finale's go, I was a little underwhelmed and disappointed. I had really thought that we'd see Sylar, Peter and Hiro all killed somehow to get the uber powers out of the show, but worst of all was the big "fight". I'm sorry, but Sylar/Peter should have been an epic powers filled battle/counter fight, never mind Niki/Jessica unleashing some fury (at least batting Sylar across the square with a free shot). Saying that Hiro "surprised" Sylar by stabbing him is being overly agreeable to the show as well in my opinion as why wouldn't Sylar have just flung him aside in the first place (well, after suitable mocking of course), or stopped him short when he did charge? These are a few examples, but that's been the one downside of the show at least in my view. It is one of my favorite shows on right now, but has the potential to be so much more without altering too much (well, except for finally giving us a big budget fight scene) of what they're doing now. I waited all season for some sort of explanation of how Sylar was able to use his powers to get Eden, potentially fake his own death, yet allow them to poke/prod/test/torture him otherwise. Why the huge build up to Mohinder finally deciding to pull the trigger (which I thought was a fantasticly done piece) only to be foiled, tortured, then when the opportunity presents itself to kill Sylar, just to leave him there unconscious, trash the place and then return not all that much later (when they could have just had Sylar knocked out a window, recover and get away for the time being). Conveniently having Sylar "hide in plain sight" (did he kill Claude at some point, yes, plenty of explanations otherwise, but Peter couldn't hear Sylar thinking either). How none of these people noticed him getting into the sewer (dragging himself or being dragged), and then you add in Charles, what his power (if any, seems like it was him and not Peter there though) was, which Peter should of course have now, and does that mean Simone had a power (which Peter would again likely have). Never mind the continual questions of what powers can be used when, against what, how many at once, to counter others in what fashion, etc.

A bit of venting yes, but a show I made sure to watch weekly, read all the graphic novels and definitely enjoyed the season. Also guessing/hoping that any hitches in the process (of having too many uber heroes) have been kind of worked through now which should result in even better stories going forward.

As for Molly, I do think it'll be somebody evil. I was surprised it was never brought up again, but her staying that he can see her gave off the distinct impression that she is aware of him in some way (though another question being, who else knows about this person because she'd have to be told who to think about for this to have happened unless she had met already met this person, then stumbled onto this by thinking about them, but I digress again). Is it possible that this person is the head of the organization HRG worked for? But again, how does her power work? She can locate them anywhere in the world, and until that line I would have thought it was more a vague (almost Cerebro like) sort of thing, but her specifying that he can see her makes it seem a bit more detailed than that.

I hope we do get to see more of what the "old" group was like and what happened there for it to splinter, and am curious if they'll decide to not make the ancient Samurai Hiro's father just because of how obvious it seems to everybody right now.

On the bright side, it was a much better viewing experience than Spiderman 3 (saw that yesterday afternoon). I'm almost tempted to go back to it once it hits the cheap theatres just to view it as a comedy.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #1784
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
1) When the cute morph changing chick gets knocked out, shouldn't she lose her ability to morph herself and change back to her "normal" self? Why did she change back to the hottie when all the setup last episode is that she didn't really look like that.

Given that I know of plenty of girls who would say they are huge/fat when they are pretty slim, I assumed that her comment was just a throwaway joke.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #1785
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm with others who were let down by the "fight" at the end. Should have been a wild battle with multiple powers thrown between Sylar and Peter. Hiro being able to impale Sylar with his sword also seemed odd given what happened the last time he tried it and Sylar apparantly making no attempt to stop it this time. I'm wondering if Hiro stopped time for just a brief moment so he could kill him with the sword?

Also a bit disappointed that there may be no deaths from the battle. Everyone either survives, or is fighting for their lives, or disappeared. Given all this lead up there should have been a few deaths.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #1786
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I watched it again, and the last scene in Sylars eyes when he is seeing the future, is him lying there dying. But the drag marks of the blood and the open manhole cover are blatantly obvious, I can't believe I missed them. I am in the camp that something dragged a lifeless Sylar into the sewer.

How that thing did it, my guess is when everyone was staring up at the sky for the explosion.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #1787
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Given that I know of plenty of girls who would say they are huge/fat when they are pretty slim, I assumed that her comment was just a throwaway joke.

It wasn't just one comment though. She talked about how society is cruel to those who look different at least once, and she alluded to her being fat another time. She had too many comments for me to believe that was her true form, and I forgot to mention it, but it also bugged me that she didn't morph back into her "true" form when knocked out. However, perhaps she has practiced the form so often that she can maintain it subconsciously even when knocked out.

I watched the final scene a 3rd time today, and I feel even more likely that Sylar saw his life flash before him at the end and he is dead. I think someone collected him.

I also think that Nathan will probably be back next season, as he'll probably have let Peter go at the last minute and then flew away. I still think Peter is gone for good unless the bad guy next season is so powerful that they need him back.

I also thought that Hiro froze time for just a split second just around Sylar to help him kill him so easily.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-22-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #1788
spleen1015
Coordinator

If you look for news on which actors are coming back, you'll pretty much know which characters are returning.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #1789
chris3627
n00b

Quote:
If you look for news on which actors are coming back, you'll pretty much know which characters are returning.

That's the easy way out. So much more fun to read crazy theories, no offense everyone.
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #1790
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
However, perhaps she has practiced the form so often that she can maintain it subconsciously even when knocked out.

I assumed that was case... otherwise everytime she went to sleep, she'd revert and that'd be highly annoying.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #1791
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
That is what I was thinking, but I have heard theories from people about him being dragged down. I guess they left it open so they could essentially do that, or use Sylar in a plot line again rather than kill him off.

As for Sylar honing the skills faster, I think he did that because the people who initially had them, some of them weren't sure what it was. They thought something was wrong with them. Dale complained of hearing too much so she used loud music to mask. Zane didn't leave his house because he was afraid he would melt things. In essence, Sylar knew he was gaining a super power and wanted to figure out how to use it, not be in fear of it and try to hide it. That is why it seemed like he was better at having the power in my opinion.

i think Sylar's main power, as evidenced by being a clock repairman, is that he knows how things work (something to that effect). perhaps that power lends itself to quickly mastering the powers he aquires. not every power some of the Heroes had were awesome. that waitress that Hiro fell in love with had the ability to remember things. that's not exactly something i would fight villains with.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #1792
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Sylar/Peter should have been an epic powers filled battle/counter fight

The issue is what powers does Peter actually have? Or has manifested so far? He can fly, paint the future, turn invisible, heal himself, read minds, blow up... and I think he was able to take Sylar's telekinesis, but nothing else (then again Sylar didn't use anything else in front of him). Wikipedia's article on it speculates that Peter also took Niki/Jessica's superstrength (hence the punches).

Aside from that.. what power does Peter have to wow us? What, a telekinesis fight with both parties throwing each other around?

It's Sylar with all the coolest powers really. And Peter hasn't been able to absorb them yet.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #1793
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

wrong. he just met Niki and then was suddenly able to to have super strength to punch sylar. my wife saw that he wasn't punching him with normal punches and pointed it out to me. he must've felt the strength power which was why he told Niki "i got it from here".
Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #1794
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The issue is what powers does Peter actually have? Or has manifested so far? He can fly, paint the future, turn invisible, heal himself, read minds, blow up... and I think he was able to take Sylar's telekinesis, but nothing else (then again Sylar didn't use anything else in front of him). Wikipedia's article on it speculates that Peter also took Niki/Jessica's superstrength (hence the punches).

Aside from that.. what power does Peter have to wow us? What, a telekinesis fight with both parties throwing each other around?

It's Sylar with all the coolest powers really. And Peter hasn't been able to absorb them yet.

He should also be able to stop time (he's been around Hiro enough) and use any other powers that Sylar has (unless he can block Peter absorbing them, another stretch). I also find it hard to believe that Sylar has some way to defend super strength (I was really hoping that Niki/Jessica smoking him with the pole would send him flying across the court yard, have Peter fly over and hit him straight down into the ground, etc). I can understand that Nathan didn't want to use his nuclear power because of a lack of control, but he had plenty of other powers at his disposal (though the nuke to nuke would have looked very sweet on HD).

Again, the most common answer is that he hasn't had time to "master" them enough to pull them out in a fight. You'd think knowing that you're likely to come into confrontation with this guy (again) would give you some incentive to figure a few of them out, or to use the ones you've at least displayed some semblence of control over in the past.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #1795
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Actually, though I agree to an extent with those who were underwhelmed by the final fight, my wife and I both got a chuckle from Peter absorbing hot girl's strength and laying the smack down, if only for a moment. I thought the whole sequence was handled kind of awkwardly, though, what, she whacks Sylar, stands there a sec, gets told, "I got this" by Peter, and kinda shambles off to tend to her man?

I woulda liked seeing her and Clair involved more. Clair saving Pete from some sort of super shellacking, and losing a limb or something in the process, only to see it reform in the foreground as Peter and Ali take the fight to Sylar in the background... something like that. Still, I liked the episode. Just wasn't blown away.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #1796
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i think Sylar's main power, as evidenced by being a clock repairman, is that he knows how things work (something to that effect). perhaps that power lends itself to quickly mastering the powers he aquires. not every power some of the Heroes had were awesome. that waitress that Hiro fell in love with had the ability to remember things. that's not exactly something i would fight villains with.

Exactly... Sylar's power is the ability to find out how things work just by looking at them. That includes powers, by using the brains to figure out how they manifest. Sylar, by knowing exactly how the power works, has better mastery over his acquired powers. Other heroes have to figure that out.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 PM   #1797
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
My first thought for the guy Molly mentioned was the Haitian. He can block mental super powers and erase minds. I don't think the person Molly fears necessarily has to be super powerful like Sylar... he just has to get into her head when she uses her power.

I think its best for the show for Peter and Sylar to be dead as they are too overpowered compared to everyone else and the longer they stick around the harder it will be to write around that. Unfortunately I imagine they're both still alive. We know Peter could survive the explosion so its likely he'll just fall back to earth and regenerate. I think they made it pretty clear at the end that Sylar survived.

i think you need to be able to tell the difference between "overpowered" and "being more powerful". Peter and Sylar are overpowered in the sense that they have more powers at their disposal to draw from, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are more "powerful". ok, they have Ted's nuke power, so that's pretty damn powerful in and of itself, but i think in terms of pure power Hiro is the most powerful - he can stop time. the entire world stops when he freezes time. couple in the teleportation and time shifting and i would say he's probably in the top 3 most powerful. some of the powers Sylar has are stupid. super hearing and turning objects into liquid won't put fear into the hearts of children. peter being able to hear people's thoughts won't stand in the way of a villain. so it's not like they've overpowered themselves to the point where they need to be taken out of the storyline. i think it's important to have actual Heroes and Villains in the comic book sense, and not overload the show with people who simply have the ability to do things. we're not tuning into this show to see people with special gifts like Molly or Super Hearing Lady. the name of the show is "Heroes", not "Special People".
Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 PM   #1798
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
He should also be able to stop time (he's been around Hiro enough) and use any other powers that Sylar has (unless he can block Peter absorbing them, another stretch). I also find it hard to believe that Sylar has some way to defend super strength (I was really hoping that Niki/Jessica smoking him with the pole would send him flying across the court yard, have Peter fly over and hit him straight down into the ground, etc). I can understand that Nathan didn't want to use his nuclear power because of a lack of control, but he had plenty of other powers at his disposal (though the nuke to nuke would have looked very sweet on HD).

Again, the most common answer is that he hasn't had time to "master" them enough to pull them out in a fight. You'd think knowing that you're likely to come into confrontation with this guy (again) would give you some incentive to figure a few of them out, or to use the ones you've at least displayed some semblence of control over in the past.

Peter has only stopped time once. Considering how many problems Hiro himself has had with his power, I think it'd be hard for Peter to master it as well. And so far Peter has only taken telekinesis from Sylar. It is also the only power Sylar has used in front of Peter. So either Peter can only take power which are used in front of him, or Sylar has too many powers inside of him to pluck out a few distinct ones (except telekinesis). Otherwise I think Peter would have taken a few others (such as the ability to find out how things work, so he could learn how to control Sprague's power).

The super strength punches are a great point... but we aren't sure if Sylar is super strong/impervious to physical harm through absorbing a prior power. He's killed plenty of folks before the FBI is after him. Recall when Parker came upon him and fired, he actually fell first (I took it to mean he was surprised and actually got shot) and then left... and there is also the scene in the comics after he escapes from Primatech.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #1799
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

means nothing. Simone was killed a long time ago, and she was back in the finale. Charles/Shaft died around the 2nd or 3rd episode and was back in the finale. being back in the show next season doesn't mean this person did or didn't die as far as the present tense is concerned.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #1800
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

there's a recap of some of the live blog session that happened last night with Tim Kring and Hayden Panetierre at this link:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=10622

I'm never sure what is and isn't a spoiler anymore (and it's late for me now) and I couldn't find how to make the dang spoiler tags work, so click it if you want to...

Mostly talks a bit about volume 2, no mention of who will be and who won't be there, more general ideas. Also explains a bit of what Origins will be...

FM