Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #17601
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Jon cares enough to apparently have a working knowledge of the royal family? Huh.

Wife is a fan, I learn stuff.

She can tell you shit like, I dunno, who William's wife's grandmother was or something.

I've heard plenty of stuff on who looks like who & so forth, and happened to know the Phillip thing cause we discussed how it woulda been nice if somebody named a kid for the old geezer before he passes on (and she went into which offspring resembled him).

See? Perfectly rational explanation
Old 05-03-2018, 08:07 AM   #17602
cuervo72
Head Coach

For you. Not necessarily rational on the wife's part.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #17603
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Who has done the most sitcom episodes? My guess was ed o Neil, my wife said Patricia Helton (which is amazing because neither of us has ever watch her shows)?

You mean Patricia Heaton, right?

And you never watched Everybody Loves Raymond?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #17604
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'd wondered something similar regarding Heaton.

This isn't completely up-to-date, but is a decent enough quick reference: Longest Running Comedies

Raymond is at 209, and it's a fair bet that she was in every episode (actually IMDB has her appearing in 210?). IMDB has her appearing in 214 episodes of The Middle

Those two alone aren't enough to eclipse the main cast of Ozzie and Harriet. (435 episodes!) Of course she's been in a few other random shows (like Back to You w/Kelsey Grammer* - 17 eps).

IMDB list Ed O'Neill as appearing in 212 eps of Modern Family ..and 263 of Married with Children..

* IMDB lists Grammer in 204(!) of Cheers' 271 eps, and 263 of Frasier. I'd imagine he'd be in the running with all of his other miscellaneous series
Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #17605
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
IMDB list Ed O'Neill as appearing in 212 eps of Modern Family ..and 263 of Married with Children..

* IMDB lists Grammer in 204(!) of Cheers' 271 eps, and 263 of Frasier. I'd imagine he'd be in the running with all of his other miscellaneous series

If you count narrating Arrested Development, then Ron Howard is interesting:

224 Andy Griffith Show
170 Happy Days
68 Arrested Development

Misc:

3 episodes of an Odd Couple Remake
1 episode of Frasier
2 Laverne and Shirley
1 MASH
1 of spinoff Mayberry RFD
2 Gomer Pyle
4 Dobie Gilis
6 Dennis The Menace

3 other child appearnces on comedies in 1959/1960

That gets him to 485... I think
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #17606
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You mean Patricia Heaton, right?

And you never watched Everybody Loves Raymond?

Yep.

And yep. I, probably incorrectly, put that show under the Chuck Lorre umbrella of a show about people being mean/sarcastic to one another
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #17607
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

This isn't completely up-to-date, but is a decent enough quick reference: Longest Running Comedies

Raymond is at 209, and it's a fair bet that she was in every episode (actually IMDB has her appearing in 210?). IMDB has her appearing in 214 episodes of The Middle

Those two alone aren't enough to eclipse the main cast of Ozzie and Harriet. (435 episodes!) Of course she's been in a few other random shows (like Back to You w/Kelsey Grammer* - 17 eps).

Grammer, of course!
I can't believe Ozzie, 14 years, crazy
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #17608
cuervo72
Head Coach

Anna Faris looks better with dark hair.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #17609
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Julia Louis Dreyfus? Seinfeld, Veep, and then the other one she did after Seinfeld I think lasted a few seasons also.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #17610
stevew
Hall Of Famer

jld is at 378ish, another 60 more if you count SNL.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #17611
Kodos
Resident Alien

New Adventures of Old Christine.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #17612
cuervo72
Head Coach

Seinfeld - 172
New Adventures of Old Christine - 88
Veep - 58
Day by Day - 33
Watching Ellie - 17
Arrested Development - 4
Old 05-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #17613
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Anna Faris looks better with dark hair.

Did she recently dye it back or are you just telling us women are hotter in their mid-20s than in their 40s?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #17614
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Did she recently dye it back or are you just telling us women are hotter in their mid-20s than in their 40s?

I have only a vague notion of who Anna Farris is but seeing your comment boggled my mind. How da fuq is she now 41? (yeah, I had to Google that)

I can't be far from one of those mobility scooters at this point.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #17615
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

How about Lucille Ball?

493 at minimum just from glancing at IMDB.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #17616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Football thread? Gaming thread? Screw it, I'll just dump it here

Anybody else think of CM/FM with the Big Ben doesn't want to mentor Rudolph stuff?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #17617
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How about Lucille Ball?

493 at minimum just from glancing at IMDB.

/headsmack
Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #17618
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Can't believe I've gone this far in life without Stroopwafel.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #17619
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ted Danson - 511 episodes

Cheers - 270
Becker - 129
The Good Place - 25 (and counting)
Bored to Death - 24
Ink - 22
Curb Your Enthusiasm - 19
Help Me Help You - 14
Benson - 2
Laverne and Shirley - 1
Taxi - 1
Frasier - 1
Veronica's Closet - 1
Grosse Pointe - 1
An Emmy for Megan - 1

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #17620
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Bob Newhart would be up there, as would pretty much the entire cast of the Mary Tyler Moore show - MTM, Ed Asner, Gavin MacLoed, Valerie Harper, Betty White and Ted Knight.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #17621
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Bob Newhart would be up there, as would pretty much the entire cast of the Mary Tyler Moore show - MTM, Ed Asner, Gavin MacLoed, Valerie Harper, Betty White and Ted Knight.

Out of that cast, is Ed the only one that didn't have another sitcom?
(Yeah, I could go look it up but ... where's the fun in that?)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #17622
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's really not fair to compare casts from (essentially) weekly shows to casts in the 24 episode era.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #17623
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Out of that cast, is Ed the only one that didn't have another sitcom?
(Yeah, I could go look it up but ... where's the fun in that?)

he had the Lou Grant show
Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #17624
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
he had the Lou Grant show

I thought that was a drama.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #17625
Izulde
Head Coach

One of my secret bucket list items was to become a season ticket holder for a pro sports team. Item checked off as I became an inaugural season ticket holder for the WNBA Las Vegas Aces. Really excited, as basketball is my favorite live sport. Yeah, the Golden Knights, but I just can't get into hockey, and besides, next year's season tickets are sold out already. And even when the Raiders come to town, it'll be a mild passing interest as I'm still a Dolphins fan first and foremost.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #17626
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
One of my secret bucket list items was to become a season ticket holder for a pro sports team. Item checked off as I became an inaugural season ticket holder for the WNBA Las Vegas Aces. Really excited, as basketball is my favorite live sport. Yeah, the Golden Knights, but I just can't get into hockey, and besides, next year's season tickets are sold out already. And even when the Raiders come to town, it'll be a mild passing interest as I'm still a Dolphins fan first and foremost.

Been to a Lights game yet? I'm fascinated by the llamas as much as anything.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #17627
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Been to a Lights game yet? I'm fascinated by the llamas as much as anything.

Not yet. I'm still a little salty they didn't even give me an interview when I applied for a job there lol. Plus, I'd prefer not to go to North Las Vegas by myself. I'm sure I will at some point, though.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #17628
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The gap between "thinking about becoming a content creator" (ala YouTube, etc) and actually "becoming a content creator" is one of the larger leaps I've come across in quite a while.

I'm to the point of feeling burned out just from the thinking on it, I can only imagine the exponentially greater burnout for those who really do it.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #17629
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Keep getting a 404 error when I come here. Do I need to clear my cache or something. Only link that works is if I go to the OS page in desktop mode and then click on the forum and the fof Central link there.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #17630
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Keep getting a 404 error when I come here. Do I need to clear my cache or something. Only link that works is if I go to the OS page in desktop mode and then click on the forum and the fof Central link there.

I was getting the same thing.

Front Office Football Central - Powered by vBulletin no longer works for some reason.

Off Topic - Front Office Football Central is the link that works for me now.

Edit:Actually they are both working now, but I was previously getting a 404 with the 1st one.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-09-2018 at 05:37 PM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #17631
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That broken link deal seems similar to one that happened a few months (?) back.

The first link lmcg posted worked fine for me all day today, but I got bit on the first go round with this problem so maybe it was just my turn to have some good luck instead.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:48 AM   #17632
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The gap between "thinking about becoming a content creator" (ala YouTube, etc) and actually "becoming a content creator" is one of the larger leaps I've come across in quite a while.

I'm to the point of feeling burned out just from the thinking on it, I can only imagine the exponentially greater burnout for those who really do it.

I have run into this, too, but I still believe the apparent gulf is mt ignorance. And that once I get a proper handle on what is required, I will get to the point where I can do it somewhat quickly. But I have no evidence to back that thought process up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 AM   #17633
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have run into this, too, but I still believe the apparent gulf is mt ignorance. And that once I get a proper handle on what is required, I will get to the point where I can do it somewhat quickly. But I have no evidence to back that thought process up.

I'd like to say that mine, for the past month or so (since I started actually giving it serious consideration and doing at least a few more things) is "paralysis by analysis" ... but that'd be more lie than truth I think.

The cold hard truth (as I post at 5 fn AM) is that, deep down, I don't know how much I care about some of the things I'm working on getting up for the world to consider.

Without getting too deeply into a tedious explanation my situation is basically this:

My YT playlists get a fairly crazy amount of traffic, crazy to me anyway, into middle six figures worth of views each month. That's not simply the traffic count for the music videos that I ... curate (for lack of a better word), that's the traffic count for those videos being seen through my playlists.

Problem is, for YT monetization purposes, very little of that viewing time counts toward the required threshold -- because only original content counts toward that.

I've likened it to having a heavily trafficked alleyway en route to Sanford Stadium on gameday but being too stupid to offer even $1 bottled waters to allllll those passersby. I feel like I'm leaving money on the table here, if that makes sense.

So my thinking is that, dammit, I ought to generate some original content & see if I can take advantage of that traffic flow. Thing is, honestly, my heart really isn't all that in it. Or at least certainly not at the "generate something every single day" level.

So I'm trying to podcast small bits, in order to convert those into simple down & dirty YT videos (cause I'm a words guy, not a visual guy), just to at least TRY to see if I can get a little something going there. Deep down though, part of me doesn't really seem to want to all that much
Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #17634
cuervo72
Head Coach

JonTheDJ
Old 05-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #17635
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jon, you produce a fair amount of daily original content here in the form of posts. And I imagine that you are on some other boards, too, doing the same thing.

Maybe instead of trying to do something new, do the stuff that you were going to do anyway, but instead of giving it away free, put in on YT.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #17636
Thomkal
Head Coach

Did you know it's Eat What you Want Day?. Someone is not impressed:

pic.twitter.com/NsvXDAx0E2

Last edited by Thomkal : 05-11-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #17637
Kodos
Resident Alien

Isn't that every day in America?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #17638
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Danny Thomas looks to have been in over 450 episodes. Make Room for Daddy was 354 alone.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #17639
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Ed O'Neill?

Married with Children 260
Modern Family 212
Family Guy 1
Twenty Good Years 1
8 Simple Rules 1
Top of the Heap 1

Two series with over 200 episodes is a really good resume.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #17640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Jon, you produce a fair amount of daily original content here in the form of posts. And I imagine that you are on some other boards, too, doing the same thing.

Maybe instead of trying to do something new, do the stuff that you were going to do anyway, but instead of giving it away free, put in on YT.

That actually kinda fits into something I was thinking of as a possible (semi)regular content.

My most read blog posts have always been the off the cuff Andy Rooney'esque random shit. I've batted around the notion of doing short bursts of "reaction" type posts using whatever is in Facebook trending as the prompts. Those tend to be heavily weighted toward pop culture stuff at times, and that's so far out of my element that it's pretty easy to do (relatively) amusing hot takes off the cuff. And that's often enough the approach I have here, FB, etc., a lot of reaction posts for whatever prompt I ran into.

One of the things that I will have to improve upon is my comfort level with being less scripted when I'm recording audio. Did that for years with both regular airshifts & sports stuff but somehow, it's ... different to me now. Whether that's the format or the setting or just aging {shrug} who knows.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #17641
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
One of the things that I will have to improve upon is my comfort level with being less scripted when I'm recording audio. Did that for years with both regular airshifts & sports stuff but somehow, it's ... different to me now. Whether that's the format or the setting or just aging {shrug} who knows.

I sort of get it. It's different when it's "you."

I can (and have) argued with complete confidence in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a client in the face of three skeptical judges. I can (and have) cross-examined hostile police officers on behalf of a client like it was out of a TV show. Far from being nervous, I actually really enjoy it.

But, there, I am wearing my "lawyer" hat. I'm not Eric. I'm Mr. Smith's lawyer.

But when I am Eric? Totally shy. I have to, for instance, screw up my courage to call up the cable company to dispute a bogus charge. And I HATE doing it.

Weird.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #17642
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Weird.

I guess it's not my first brush with that sort of quirk though.

I first noticed it with the enormous difference in my comfort level talking to sizable audiences from the comfort of a studio vs my utter discomfort with talking from stage to an audience maybe 1% as large.

The difference (then) was an audience I could see vs one I couldn't.

Now it's ... something else. Not even entirely sure what, but I can't ever seem to get back the comfortably professional flow (to my own satisfaction anyway) I used to get when working off script. Maybe it really is just the lack of practice. Big difference doing it 4-6 hours a day vs every once in a rare while.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #17643
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I first noticed it with the enormous difference in my comfort level talking to sizable audiences from the comfort of a studio vs my utter discomfort with talking from stage to an audience maybe 1% as large.

The difference (then) was an audience I could see vs one I couldn't.

I am almost the exact opposite. Public speaking doesn't bother me. I like looking into an audience and finding people to connect with during a speech. Put me in front of a camera or microphone though, and I feel like I'm a bumbling mess. Interesting where we find our comfort zones.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #17644
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I sort of get it. It's different when it's "you."

I can (and have) argued with complete confidence in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a client in the face of three skeptical judges. I can (and have) cross-examined hostile police officers on behalf of a client like it was out of a TV show. Far from being nervous, I actually really enjoy it.

But, there, I am wearing my "lawyer" hat. I'm not Eric. I'm Mr. Smith's lawyer.

But when I am Eric? Totally shy. I have to, for instance, screw up my courage to call up the cable company to dispute a bogus charge. And I HATE doing it.

Weird.

Haha, I'm way more nervous calling a plumber than I am arguing in front of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals or the state appellate courts.

For me, I think part of it is that I'm less nervous when I HAVE to do something. There's no procrastinating an oral argument. I have to be there and I have to be prepared. For whatever reason, that makes it more exciting and fun than nerve-wracking. Whereas, I can call the plumber later. That just allows the anxiety to percolate.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #17645
Critch
lolzcat

When I first moved away from home (in my early 20s) if I ever had to call anybody I didnt know I would call my mother and have her call for me. Dentist, doctors, utilities, hairdressers, anybody, Mum would call and make my appointment and call me back with details.

I can pretty much take care of myself now like a proper grown-up, but this is still the greatest advance in technology ever:

Google Assistant may soon make calls on your behalf
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #17646
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I am almost the exact opposite. Public speaking doesn't bother me. I like looking into an audience and finding people to connect with during a speech. Put me in front of a camera or microphone though, and I feel like I'm a bumbling mess. Interesting where we find our comfort zones.

If I am in front of a group, I have no issue whatsoever, going off the cuff, I can ad-lib with no problem. I have completely gone off script when guided by my audience, shelf the powerpoint and start whiteboarding things without skipping a beat.

Put me on camera, and I become a perfectionist. I want to do multiple takes, etc. Put me on a webinar, and I am back to my normal presentation style.

I think in my case, it is a matter of wanting to have things perfect if it is rehearsed, whereas if it is with an audience, I feed off the interaction.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #17647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Put me on camera, and I become a perfectionist.

Pretty much this.

A couple of these recent short podcast things are almost certainly the least processed I've ever purposely put in public, and that creates anxiety/stress for me (like a lot of "radio guys", I've never particularly liked the sound of my own voice).
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #17648
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So at our new home orientation, the guy said the new city wiring code made it so our breakers were super sensitive, and we may see stuff trip.

Apparently this translates to, "you can't actually run your washing machine on a full cycle". Tried about 4 washing cycles last night, breaker tripped at random points during every one of them.

Either the breaker is faulty, or we need to find some under the table guy to put in a breaker that is less sensitive, 'cause WTF.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #17649
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So at our new home orientation, the guy said the new city wiring code made it so our breakers were super sensitive, and we may see stuff trip.

Apparently this translates to, "you can't actually run your washing machine on a full cycle". Tried about 4 washing cycles last night, breaker tripped at random points during every one of them.

Either the breaker is faulty, or we need to find some under the table guy to put in a breaker that is less sensitive, 'cause WTF.

I bet you have GFI breakers installed.

Without a bunch of technical info you dont care about...

You are familiar with GFI receptacles like you typically see in a kitchen or bathroom (I.E a wet location) a code re-wording a few years back makes many inspectors erroneously think if you have multiple outlets on the same circuit (which you always do in residential) that the whole circuit has to be protected with a GFI breaker.

It doesn't but you have to be damn near lawyer-esque to understand what they are saying.

GFI breakers aren't compatible with any inductive loads or load with SCR properties. I.E. small motor loads found on things like Dishawahsers, blenders, mixers, etc.

There used to be 1 inspector in Charlotte who required the same thing. I had a single set of GFI breakers that had been inspected in over 200 houses and then changed out for standard after inspection.

That last part doesnt help you, just anecdotal you are not alone.

Two possible solutions.
1) a GFI breaker and a GFI outlet cant be in series. The sebnsing mechanism actually causes the trip. So if the dishwasher is plugged into a gfi outlet (you will have to pull the dishwasher out to check) then start by replacing that.
2) If its direct wired through a switch or into a non gfi outlet then that breaker has to be changed.

I can talk you through how to do that 100% safely with no fear of shock and you can do it yourself for less than $20 in less than 30 minutes.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #17650
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Washing machine as in clothes, not dishwasher.

The plot is thickening, however. There's two outlets in the laundry room. One is definitely a GFCI outlet, one is (I think) AFCI - there's no telltale "test/resets" on there. My knowledge in this area is limited.

So, the washer had been repeatedly tripping on what we're calling the AFCI outlet. I just tried moving the washer to the GFCI outlet and the dryer to the AFCI. SECOND I started the dryer, the breaker popped.

Moved everything over to the GFCI outlet. As I want some clothes actually dry, haven't ran the washer yet, but both washer and dryer are plugged in, and the dryer is doing its thing (gas dryer).

That outlet might just be bad.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote