Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #1701
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
YY.

I've loaded up MMOD because my local CBS stuck me with Duke/Purdue.

You also thought that people were just as interested in North Carolina's NIT game against your team than the NCAA tournament games. Shit I know that me and MBBF are the same way with Mizzou but that doesn't mean that people actually would rather watch Mizzou play a mid major than Duke and another top team.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #1702
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
You also thought that people were just as interested in North Carolina's NIT game against your team than the NCAA tournament games.

Please show me where I ever said or implied this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #1703
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
O RLY?

Yes I am absolutely certain. Otherwise the national CBS wouldn't be showing the Duke/Purdue game to like 90% of the country. Obviously they get better ratings from Duke/Purdue. So the local CBS genius has decided that people's interest here in St. Louis is somehow higher than the rest of Missouri and bordering Illinios just because the game is being played in town. Wow, would love for JIMGa to explain how this could possibly be true. (hey there's where I sat once for a Ram's game that makes this game so much more interesting)

Last edited by panerd : 03-26-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #1704
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Face it you are a fan of the small school because you root for one. But more people enjoy watching two big programs play. If what you were saying were true than the local station would be carrying the Purdue game.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #1705
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yes I am absolutely certain. Otherwise the national CBS wouldn't be showing the Duke/Purdue game to like 90% of the country. Obviously they get better ratings from Duke/Purdue. So the local CBS genius has decided that people's interest here in St. Louis is somehow higher than the rest of Missouri and bordering Illinios just because the game is being played in town. Wow, would love for JIMGa to explain how this could possibly be true.

I was specifically addressing this comment:

Quote:
during no other time in the year would somebody want to watch a top 20 team play against a mid-major

I completely agree that more people would watch Duke/Purdue in the regular season.

But you essentially said no one would rather watch a top 20 team vs a "mid-major" (which I would say a very good mid-major that spent time in the top 25) - that's simply not true.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #1706
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
You also thought that people were just as interested in North Carolina's NIT game against your team than the NCAA tournament games.

Quote:

Still waiting.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #1707
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Face it you are a fan of the small school because you root for one. But more people enjoy watching two big programs play. If what you were saying were true than the local station would be carrying the Purdue game.
As mentioned above - you clearly have no idea what I'm saying.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #1708
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Duke b(r)ought some ACC refs tonight

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-26-2010 at 09:17 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #1709
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still waiting.

Between dubious unhealthy eating claims and maligning mid majors, you've been a bit saucy this week, wade

SI

Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #1710
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Between dubious unhealthy eating claims and maligning mid majors, you've been a bit saucy this week, wade

SI

Yeah, so it goes sometimes... Generally it can be mapped to bad weeks at work .

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #1711
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Don't care that much. Made a passing comment about St. Louis executives somehow thinking the game being in St. Louis makes it a more attractive game and explained why I felt that wasn't true. You said your points and I understand your points and don't really need to discuss it more. It's not like I am that passionite about this issue I have the Duke/Purdue game on my tv right now.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #1712
DataKing
Pro Rookie

The Duke/Purdue game is some fugly basketball so far.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #1713
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Don't care that much. Made a passing comment about St. Louis executives somehow thinking the game being in St. Louis makes it a more attractive game and explained why I felt that wasn't true. You said your points and I understand your points and don't really need to discuss it more. It's not like I am that passionite about this issue I have the Duke/Purdue game on my tv right now.

Well, your passing comment included basically a stab at anyone that would rather watch the UNI game. That they weren't "true basketball fans", so it wasn't just a passing comment about CBS in St. Louis.

And then somehow you managed to follow it up with a completely unfounded stab at my fandom of W&M that you have yet to explain or give any justification for.

So - excuse me if I came out a bit insulted.

Quote:

Last edited by wade moore : 03-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #1714
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yes...Purdue and Duke have a ton of NBA talent on their rosters...oh..wait..no they don't.

nbadraft.net has a whopping ZERO players from either teams in their complete mock draft.

"But, wait, Karlifornia! What about the 2011 draft?"

Well, Duke has three guys projected to be drafted. One is still in high school, and the other two are second rounders. A number of second rounders equaled only by...Michigan State!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #1715
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, your passing comment included basically a stab at anyone that would rather watch the UNI game. That they weren't "true basketball fans", so it wasn't just a passing comment about CBS in St. Louis.

And then somehow you managed to follow it up with a completely unfounded stab at my fandom of W&M that you have yet to explain or give any justification for.

So - excuse me if I came out a bit insulted.

I don't really know anyone on this board very well but I still know that you are a big fan of William & Mary and the Colonial conference. (And one could than theorize, the "Mid-major Cinderella") So that would skew your opinion a bit. That is why I brought up your teams. You are definitely not the typical fan. (load one of those CBS coverage maps if you want to see this for yourself.) I don't care that much because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense what you are arguing about.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #1716
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Don't mind Wade, he just has had a lot of sand in his girl parts lately.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #1717
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't really know anyone on this board very well but I still know that you are a big fan of William & Mary and the Colonial conference. (And one could than theorize, the "Mid-major Cinderella") So that would skew your opinion a bit. That is why I brought up your teams. You are definitely not the typical fan. (load one of those CBS coverage maps if you want to see this for yourself.) I don't care that much because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense what you are arguing about.

I'm arguing about you claiming that:

a) I'm not a "true basketball fan"
b) that I, "You also thought that people were just as interested in North Carolina's NIT game against your team than the NCAA tournament games."

Both I take as direct insults to me and my specific sports intelligence.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #1718
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Im impartial to any of the teams and I know Id rather watch UNI/MSU cause I knew that would be a good game while Duke/Purdue is going to be all Duke. I know a lot of people would be interested in the Duke/Purdue game if they thought Duke would lose but I just dont think many people think that.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #1719
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the xavier loss last night was heartbreaking. they were so close.

UNI looking like they're for real tonight. although i'm sad that st. mary's lost while i was on my travels
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #1720
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Yes...Purdue and Duke have a ton of NBA talent on their rosters...oh..wait..no they don't.

nbadraft.net has a whopping ZERO players from either teams in their complete mock draft.

"But, wait, Karlifornia! What about the 2011 draft?"

Well, Duke has three guys projected to be drafted. One is still in high school, and the other two are second rounders. A number of second rounders equaled only by...Michigan State!

I will put money that Dejuan Johnson and E'Twan Moore play in the NBA. Wish to take that bet? Would that not be "NBA" talent? (Meaning they havbe more talent than most student athletes. They can actually make a career out of basketball.)
Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #1721
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
the xavier loss last night was heartbreaking. they were so close.

UNI looking like they're for real tonight. although i'm sad that st. mary's lost while i was on my travels

I've seen UNI play a few times this season.

They are a legit team and play what I think is a very entertaining brand of basketball.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #1722
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I will put money that Dejuan Johnson and E'Twan Moore play in the NBA. Wish to take that bet? Would that not be "NBA" talent? (Meaning they havbe more talent than most student athletes. They can actually make a career out of basketball.)

Yeah and I think if Hummel makes a recovery he has a chance to make a team ala Luke Walton.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #1723
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

True basketball fans probably don't sit on a fucking message board arguing with each other right in the middle of the games.

God damn nincompoops I tell ya.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #1724
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

With all the bricks being thrown up in the Duke/Purdue game, the folks at Habitat for Humanity have to be salivating.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #1725
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes I am absolutely certain. Otherwise the national CBS wouldn't be showing the Duke/Purdue game to like 90% of the country.

By population but not by territory, at least not according to this map About half the Big 10 areas got UNI-MSU, as Missouri, Kansas & Nebraska. Matter of fact Illinois is the only state that borders Iowa not slated to get that game.

Quote:
So the local CBS genius has decided that people's interest here in St. Louis is somehow higher than the rest of Missouri and bordering Illinios just because the game is being played in town. Wow, would love for JIMGa to explain how this could possibly be true.

Although I think proximity to Iowa probably dictated the coverage in Missouri more than anything else, there is a pretty consistent pattern in every sport I can think of for events taking place in an area drawing better ratings than they do nationally no matter who is playing. You see it with minor bowl games, you see it with the NCAA tournament, you see it with NASCAR (in some markets, not all), you see it with golf most weeks, hmm I don't think I can say I've ever checked tennis.

Quote:
(hey there's where I sat once for a Ram's game that makes this game so much more interesting)

Silly as it sounds there does seem to be some of that happening on a regular basis, although I'd say it might be a function of increased hype for an event in a host market more than anything else. And in this case I don't know that it was the major factor in determining who got what game.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #1726
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post

Good stuff.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #1727
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, both my wife & mother-in-law are upset with the Duke game being shown in Atlanta since they wanted to get a better feel for UNI-MSU in preparation for Sunday's Elite 8 game.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #1728
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Incidentally, both my wife & mother-in-law are upset with the Duke game being shown in Atlanta since they wanted to get a better feel for UNI-MSU in preparation for Sunday's Elite 8 game.

Btw- do you know when tip-off will be? I have an impossible-to-avoid conflict in all likelihood . (DVR to the rescue!)

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #1729
wade moore
lolzcat

One hell of a block by Barlow!

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #1730
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

DraftExpress.com currently has Johnson as the 2.6 pick in the 2011 draft, Hummel as 2.30 in 2011, and Moore (and Kramer) not making the cut.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #1731
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sunday's schedule won't be out till after these last two games.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #1732
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Btw- do you know when tip-off will be? I have an impossible-to-avoid conflict in all likelihood . (DVR to the rescue!)

What Dr. Sak said AFAIK, we probably won't know until tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #1733
wade moore
lolzcat

It pretty much conflicts for me anyways. If it's like a 7:00 tip I'd miss the first 10ish minutes, but I think they generally have earlier games on Sunday. And yeah.. unavailable from like 1:00 until 7:15ish or later.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #1734
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Looks like it'll be a bad night for the Big Ten.

The one time, as an IU fan, I decide to back Purdue and they look horrible. I realize it's a one point game, but Duke played about as bad as you can. Can't expect that for another 20 minutes.

MSU was doomed without Lucas. Shocked to come home and see the OSU score.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #1735
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Both Duke and Purdue have NBA talent.
Who is the NBA talent in that game?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #1736
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

From earlier... I will put money that Dejuan Johnson and E'Twan Moore play in the NBA. Wish to take that bet? Would that not be "NBA" talent? (Meaning they have more talent than most student athletes. They can actually make a career out of basketball.)

Make the bet if you don't think they will both play on an NBA team at some point. (I didn't say first round draft pick or NBA starter. I just said they still had enough skills in play in the NBA versus the Northern Iowa team who doesn't. That would equate to a little more talent, yes?)

Last edited by panerd : 03-26-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #1737
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True basketball fans probably don't sit on a fucking message board arguing with each other right in the middle of the games.

SI

Old 03-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #1738
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Quote:
From earlier... I will put money that Dejuan Johnson and E'Twan Moore play in the NBA. Wish to take that bet? Would that not be "NBA" talent? (Meaning they have more talent than most student athletes. They can actually make a career out of basketball.)

Make the bet if you don't think they will both play on an NBA team at some point. (I didn't say first round draft pick or NBA starter. I just said they still had enough skills in play in the NBA versus the Northern Iowa team who doesn't. That would equate to a little more talent, yes?)

Speaking of being sensitive...

I believe RM was making a little bit of a joke based on the quality of play in the 1st half of the Duke/Purdue game.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #1739
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Not sure where I implyed that I was a true basketball fan. I watch the non-Mizzou games because I gamble on them. (Hence I buy the sports package) I enjoy the buzzer beaters that don't effect my bets and watching good games but I am not the true fan I was referring to. I can be on a couple of message boards, watching the game, and playing online poker so I wouldn't say my main focus is on the game. So touche to your message board comment I guess.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #1740
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure where I implyed that I was a true basketball fan. I watch the non-Mizzou games because I gamble on them. (Hence I buy the sports package) I enjoy the buzzer beaters that don't effect my bets and watching good games but I am not the true fan I was referring to. I can be on a couple of message boards, watching the game, and playing online poker so I wouldn't say my main focus is on the game. So touche to your message board comment I guess.

Dude, you did kinda say:

Quote:
Local CBS is showing the Northern Iowa/Michigan State game with no ties whatsoever to either school (St. Louis has some big ten ties but Purdue would nulify that one) just because it is being played in St. Louis. Luckily I have the tv package and can watch the other game. I know there are a lot of fans of Cinderella's that will somehow be more interested in Northern Iowa but here are two teams that were ranked #3 and #5 just two weeks ago. Unbeleievable that the rest of my area doesn't get to see this game. There have to be more true basketball fans than feel good story followers.

And then proceeded to talk about how much better the Duke/Purdue game is. I think the implication is kindof there, right?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-26-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #1741
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of being sensitive...

I believe RM was making a little bit of a joke based on the quality of play in the 1st half of the Duke/Purdue game.

Again. Not sure why you are looking for an arguement from me. I must come across as abrasive which isn't my intention. I guess I must have been wrong about my St. Louis thing, JIMGa works in the field and would know more than I do. No big deal.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #1742
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Dude, you did kinda say:

And then proceeded to talk about how much better the Duke/Purdue game is. I think the implication is kindof there, right?

SI

I was feeling bad for the local St. Louisians for having to watch Michigan State and Northern Iowa of which I have absoluetely no interest (outside of MSU -4.5 ) I would think the fans would want Duke vs. Purdue but I guess I am wrong. (Again, I have the directv package. So I can watch either game.)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #1743
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Again. Not sure why you are looking for an arguement from me. I must come across as abrasive which isn't my intention. I guess I must have been wrong about my St. Louis thing, JIMGa works in the field and would know more than I do. No big deal.

Hrm.. you don't see how you've been abrasive?

You took multiple shots at me, and then didn't address it when asked to justify them.

Then you repeatedly implored someone to "make a bet with you" the last time when someone was making what was an obvious joke?

Idano - maybe it's me, but based on others posting I think it's pretty clear that you are being abrasive - even if I'm overreacting to the abrasiveness.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #1744
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was feeling bad for the local St. Louisians for having to watch Michigan State and Northern Iowa of which I have absoluetely no interest (outside of MSU -4.5 ) I would think the fans would want Duke vs. Purdue but I guess I am wrong. (Again, I have the directv package. So I can watch either game.)

You got jobbed. That line was a PK at game time.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #1745
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You got jobbed. That line was a PK at game time.

Yeah mixed it up with the earlier game's lines. I got MSU -1.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #1746
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, that seems to imply that Lucas being out is worth 4.5 in the game, right?

SI

Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #1747
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah mixed it up with the earlier game's lines. I got MSU -1.

OK good. I was concerned your bookie was screwing you.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #1748
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wait...what are you doing? Posting by telekinesis? Go fuck yourself.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #1749
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I've loaded up MMOD because my local CBS stuck me with Duke/Purdue.

You live in Virginia, I assume you get ACC games above everything but local small shools in the tournament, no?

edit: I know for example, I would get say, Florida State before I would get South Carolina where I live. But I would probably get ECU over FSU.

Last edited by Radii : 03-26-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #1750
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
You live in Virginia, I assume you get ACC games above everything but local small shools in the tournament, no?

edit: I know for example, I would get say, Florida State before I would get South Carolina where I live. But I would probably get ECU over FSU.

Of course, it's completely logical WHY I'm getting it, I wasn't the one trying to argue I should have a different game than I do .

Honestly - I was trying to make a bit of a joke.

Now, I would say that at this point they should be switching to UNI/Mich St.

Quote: