Head Coach

Manny is amazing
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #1702
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And while I'm at it, is it safe to say that John Van Benschoten is one of the worst pitchers in major league history yet?

90 IP, 2.14 Whip, 9.20 ERA

The UBL version of JVB was slightly better.

John Vanbenschoten Statistics - 2003 Career League History
Old 09-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #1703
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I had been following the AAA news abouts the Syracuse Chiefs and it said that this was the first MLB affiliation since 1976 when they were tied to the Yankees. What was the affiliation with the Blue Jays all of these years?

Did I hear right that the Yankees dropped Columbus and now going with Scranton? Are they an IL team? Is the trend with all of these movements to have AAA teams closer geographically to their MLB parent?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #1704
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I had been following the AAA news abouts the Syracuse Chiefs and it said that this was the first MLB affiliation since 1976 when they were tied to the Yankees. What was the affiliation with the Blue Jays all of these years?

Did I hear right that the Yankees dropped Columbus and now going with Scranton? Are they an IL team? Is the trend with all of these movements to have AAA teams closer geographically to their MLB parent?

Yeah, more and more teams are trying to get their teams closer. The Mets lost Norfolk, ended up with New Orleans and are trying to get closer to home than that. I think they're getting Buffalo or Syracuse.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-21-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #1705
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nevermind, I guess the Nats got the Chiefs.

Syracuse Chiefs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mets get Buffalo Bisons will introduce Mets Monday : Latest Local News : The Buffalo News

And the Yankees moved to Scranton last year I believe.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #1706
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

here's a blog post about the latest moves.

In Triple-A Affiliate Merry-Go-Round, Only Winners are Moving Companies - Walkoff Walk

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-21-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #1707
molson
General Manager

Astros still whining about those games in Milwaukee:

ESPN - Report: Astros lash out about games in Milwaukee; Selig explains in ad - MLB

They definitely got a bad break there, but the fact they've sucked so much since then says a lot about the character of their team. They've embraced the excuse to lose. They won 14 of 15 going into those games, and then were 2-6 since.

It's interesting that people get so obsessed over this kind of stuff now - the 1988 Stanley Cup Finals is an example of less whiney time. First two games in Edmonton, game 3 in Boston, during game 4 the lights go out and the game is suspended. So the new game 4 is scheduled for back in Edmontom. The Oilers complete the sweep, and get 3 of the 4 games on their home ice. I thought that was a little strange as a kid, but noboby seemed to care or whine about it. If something like that happened today it'd be a huge controversy.

Last edited by molson : 09-22-2008 at 09:53 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #1708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

ESPN - Report: Astros lash out about games in Milwaukee; Selig explains in ad - MLB

They definitely got a bad break there, but the fact they've sucked so much since then says a lot about the character of their team. They've embraced the excuse to lose. They won 14 of 15 going into those games, and then were 2-6 since.

It's interesting that people get so obsessed over this kind of stuff now - the 1988 Stanley Cup Finals is an example of less whiney time. First two games in Edmonton, game 3 in Boston, during game 4 the lights go out and the game is suspended. So the new game 4 is scheduled for back in Edmontom. The Oilers complete the sweep, and get 3 of the 4 games on their home ice. I thought that was a little strange as a kid, but noboby seemed to care or whine about it. If something like that happened today it'd be a huge controversy.

I don't think it is a big deal if the game was in Anaheim, or in New York, or even Seattle. But in Milwaukee? After all the stories we have had all year long about how many Cub fans were going to Brewer home games. I have no idea where they could have played and obviously they have sucked ever since so it ends up not being that big a deal. However, they is NO WAY anyone is going to convince me that in Milwaukee that weekend was the best possible solution.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #1709
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't think it is a big deal if the game was in Anaheim, or in New York, or even Seattle. But in Milwaukee? After all the stories we have had all year long about how many Cub fans were going to Brewer home games. I have no idea where they could have played and obviously they have sucked ever since so it ends up not being that big a deal. However, they is NO WAY anyone is going to convince me that in Milwaukee that weekend was the best possible solution.

I have no idea what the other options were, but the Astros STILL whining over TWO games (both of which they got hammered in), is just annoying to me.

The biggest home-field advantage in baseball is the fact that you get to bat last, which the Astros still did in those games. Does the crowd really make any difference in an MLB game? Did that really cost the Astros those games? Would they have beat Zambrano in New York?

Last edited by molson : 09-22-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #1710
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have no idea what the other options were, but the Astros STILL whining over TWO games (both of which they got hammered in), is just annoying to me.

The biggest home-field advantage in baseball is the fact that you get to bat last, which the Astros still did in those games. Does the crowd really make any difference in an MLB game? Did that really cost the Astros those games? Would they have beat Zambrano in New York?

If they were close games which came down to pressure situations than I could see the crowd potentially having a slight impact but there is nothing the crowd has to do with your team getting smoked.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #1711
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: The crowd can be more of a factor in NFL games which is why I thought the NFL screwed up big time a few years back when they moved the Saints/Giants game from New Orleans to New York after Katrina.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #1712
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
MLB presented Drayton McClain with 3 options - Milwaukee, Arizona and I think Tampa Bay was the 3rd. McClain picked the one that gave him the best deal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #1713
miami_fan
Coordinator

I thought the biggest advantage would be playing in a ball park that best suited your team's strengths since that is where you play the majority of your games.

Should they be whinning? No, especially after getting their door blown off. Does that mean they don't have a point? No I don't think so. Was the most important thing getting the game in? Seems that way. Bud said as much in his statement. Do I think Chicago would have been playing in Arlington if the games were supposed to be played at Wrigley? No I don't. Players exploiting the system because they believe they are treated the same way? I am sure I am not the only one who believes this about players in general.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #1714
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

5!!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #1715
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Correction...

4!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #1716
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Correction...

4!!!!!

It's looking better and better isn't it!
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #1717
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
It's looking better and better isn't it!

That is is.

Watch, the Mets are going to screw up the celebration by getting the number down to one after Wednesday night to lose on Thursday; so the Phillies clinch while they are off. What's the procedure for that? Pop the champaign before the next game?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #1718
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Oh, Hank Steinbrenner, will you ever stop talking? Hank Steinbrenner cries over Yanks' great misfortune in AL East - Big Leagu... - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Quote:
"The biggest problem is the divisional setup in major league baseball. I didn't like it in the 1970s, and I hate it now. Baseball went to a multidivision setup to create more races, rivalries and excitement. But it isn't fair. You see it this season, with plenty of people in the media pointing out that Joe Torre and the Dodgers are going to the playoffs while we're not.
"This is by no means a knock on Torre — let me make that clear — but look at the division they're in. If L.A. were in the AL East, it wouldn't be in the playoff discussion. The AL East is never weak."
Hank doesn't stop there, though, dragging the '06 Cardinals into the fray to question their win in the World Series despite their 83-78 regular season record:
"People will say the Cardinals were the best team because they won the World Series. Well, no, they weren't. They just got hot at the right time. They didn't even belong in the playoffs. And neither does a team from the N.L. West this season."
2 other questions - Does Dustin Pedroia actually have a shot at MVP? Even I would have said no a month ago when he started getting hyped up, and he's cooled off since but it seems he's getting more hype than before.

Also, does anyone know the exact rule on players catching a ball but falling into the stands/bullpens? Is it like football where you need one foot inbounds before you go out, do you need to fall back in, or could you catch a ball while going over the wall, fall into the stands and have it count as an out?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #1719
miami_fan
Coordinator

In other words, Hank is also a fan of the non playoff Western Conference teams that had a better record than the playoff teams in the Eastern Conference in the NBA.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #1720
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DELGADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #1721
molson
General Manager

I wonder if Hank is possibly just playing a character. Is that possible? That the Steinbrenners have some kind of crazy idea that acting like a lunatic owner is somehow good for business.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #1722
DanGarion
Coordinator

Dodgers clinch! I'm going to the playoffs!!!!!!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1723
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Today, they'd simply have pushed the series back a day. No way they would've done that today, because it's not fair. Not to mention the angry pitchforks of ticket holders.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1724
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

slacktivist: Manuel: Mets 'suspending' pennant race

I LOL'd.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #1725
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Struggling Mets Combine To Form Carlos Voltron | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Mets form "Carlos Voltron".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #1726
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meanwhile, defending a comfortable 600-0 lead in the top of ninth, the Mets decided to rest up Carlos Voltron by moving him to the outfield and replacing him with reliever Aaron Heilman, who lost the lead and eventually the game after giving up 618 runs to close the inning.

That sounds about right... right reliever too (and *sigh*)
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #1727
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

"Form! Hitting and Speed!"

"Form! Starting Pitching and Defense!"

"and I'll form the bullpen..."

Wait....

*BOOM!*

(woah, a You Can't Do That On Television reference and a Voltron reference on consecutive days!)
Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #1728
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

forgot to post this yesterday.

3!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #1729
Izulde
Head Coach

White Sox up 3-1 in the 4th over the Twins. Oh please, oh please, oh please let us win and avoid the sweep.... I wanna go back to the playoffs.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:35 AM   #1730
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe there wasn't more chatter last night. All 4 teams still fighting for the playoffs in walkoff games. Amazing night for baseball.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #1731
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I can't believe there wasn't more chatter last night. All 4 teams still fighting for the playoffs in walkoff games. Amazing night for baseball.

SI

Indeed.. if you ever needed an advertisement for baseball, last night was it. Just some amazing comebacks and last second dramatics.

And now in the NL, the Mets are 1 game back of Philly and the Brewers and Mets are tied for the WC. This is some good stuff.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #1732
MikeVic
Head Coach

I want the Twins in the Central, and the Phillies and Brewers in the NL.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #1733
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I want the Twins in the Central, and the Phillies and Brewers in the NL.

So do I. Which means the White Sox and Mets will make it

SI

Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #1734
MikeVic
Head Coach

I really want to watch the Rays and Brewers in the playoffs. Someone different.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #1735
lungs
Pro Rookie

I am a huge Brewers fan so the roller coaster of this season has been very intense. This week has just been unreal, with two walkoff wins in a row from Fielder and Braun. Last night's being a grand slam.

Surprisingly it hasn't been too difficult to cheer for the Cubs the last few days because I've always hated the Mets too (I always cheered for the Braves in the playoffs since Milwaukee never was in it).

But now the Cubs are enemy number one again, and the Marlins are my second favorite team

The previous channel button has been getting worn out the last few days switching back and forth between the Brewers and whoever the Mets are playing.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #1736
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I really want to watch the Rays and Brewers in the playoffs. Someone different.

Amen. I'd love to see those fans get some playoff love. I know what it's like to watch bad season after bad season.

SI

Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #1737
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Amen. I'd love to see those fans get some playoff love. I know what it's like to watch bad season after bad season.

SI

OMG ratings disaster! No New York? No Boston? Not even a Chicago Cubs breaking the curse story??????
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #1738
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Oh, Hank Steinbrenner, will you ever stop talking? Hank Steinbrenner cries over Yanks' great misfortune in AL East - Big Leagu... - MLB - Yahoo! Sports 2 other questions - Does Dustin Pedroia actually have a shot at MVP? Even I would have said no a month ago when he started getting hyped up, and he's cooled off since but it seems he's getting more hype than before.

[/indent]

The Yankees lost the division and AL East to a team with one of the lowest payrolls in MLB. I was reading an article about how the Yankees new stadium could force even the bigger market clubs to think about a cap, due to the incredible revenues that they could generate (thus leading to them to drive salaries even higher).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #1739
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
The Yankees lost the division and AL East to a team with one of the lowest payrolls in MLB. I was reading an article about how the Yankees new stadium could force even the bigger market clubs to think about a cap, due to the incredible revenues that they could generate (thus leading to them to drive salaries even higher).

At the risk of revisiting the past glory days of this thread....The MLBPA will never agree to a salary cap. The owners (including the big market owners, who stand to profit the most) put a cap on the table in '94, '02, '06, and every other recent negotations. MLBPA won't bite, but they compromied with a luxury tax.

The owners would have to shut baseball down for at least 2 full years to get a cap, at least. And by then, the players would start their own league.

Last edited by molson : 09-26-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #1740
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

FU Hank.

He wants to be his father so bad it is pathetic.

He strikes me as a spoiled brat who never worked or earned anything in his life. I bet he runs this team into the ground.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #1741
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

if this Mets game was a video game I would be hitting the reset button
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #1742
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
At the risk of revisiting the past glory days of this thread....The MLBPA will never agree to a salary cap. The owners (including the big market owners, who stand to profit the most) put a cap on the table in '94, '02, '06, and every other recent negotations. MLBPA won't bite, but they compromied with a luxury tax.

The owners would have to shut baseball down for at least 2 full years to get a cap, at least. And by then, the players would start their own league.

Oh I agree with you (at least on the first part and the time).

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-26-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #1743
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
if this Mets game was a video game I would be hitting the reset button

But that button would have been broken last September...
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #1744
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

forgot to add...
Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #1745
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

fuckin Heilman.

Keith Hernandez just said it perfectly.

"embarresing"
Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #1746
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

2!!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #1747
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

1!!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #1748
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Looks like the Yankees are gonna help the Rays back into the AL east title tonight.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #1749
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Looks like the Yankees are gonna help the Rays back into the AL east title tonight.

If they complete the game tonight.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #1750
Izulde
Head Coach

Fucking White Sox... we're playing like shit and wasting the golden opportunity of the Twinkies getting their asses kicked by the Royals.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote