Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #1701
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
kinda like the Big 10 not playing everyone nor having one either or calling themselves the Big 10 and having 11 teams.

So they should help blow up the Big 12 with the invitation of Nebraska, and then when the Big 12 no longer exists, they can change their name to the Big 12. Genius!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #1702
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Seems if the SEC were legitimately interested in expanding, it would do so in order to maximize the financial impact of the conference and the distribution of the SEC Network which I'm sure will debut posthaste. As such, with 4 teams to grab, wouldn't it make the most sense to expand the conference's footprint the most?

(1) A Texas School (UT or TAMU)
(2) A North Carolina School (UNC)
(3) A Virginia School (VT)
(4) ??? Another Florida school?

If UF really hates Miami or Florida State, you invite the other one and leave the school left out to dangle in the wind.

If it's one of FSU or Miami, it will almost certainly be FSU. Miami's a private school, has money issues, and culturally just doesn't fit with the southern schools.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #1703
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Seems if the SEC were legitimately interested in expanding, it would do so in order to maximize the financial impact of the conference and the distribution of the SEC Network which I'm sure will debut posthaste. As such, with 4 teams to grab, wouldn't it make the most sense to expand the conference's footprint the most?

(1) A Texas School (UT or TAMU)
(2) A North Carolina School (UNC)
(3) A Virginia School (VT)
(4) ??? Another Florida school?

If UF really hates Miami or Florida State, you invite the other one and leave the school left out to dangle in the wind.

For now the SEC is going a completely different route than the Big Ten. The SEC network already exists and is distributed through ESPN regional. If they expand, they'd be looking to add "more product" (ie more games) more than anything else and trying to find quality football schools that fit their brand. I also get a sense that it's a pride thing for them. If other conferences expand, they will expand to remain the best.

Still, I do think your list is pretty accurate, though I would think Clemson should be up there. And I also think FSU is a much better fit than Miami. Miami is already playing it like they wouldn't leave the ACC (they said stuff about wanting to maintain rivalries in the Northeast because that's where much of their alumni is) which to me says the SEC didn't come calling for them.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #1704
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
So they should help blow up the Big 12 with the invitation of Nebraska, and then when the Big 12 no longer exists, they can change their name to the Big 12. Genius!

exactally

I actually think ASU and uofa get the short end of the stick in all this.
Both lose the CA recruiting base and lose having a game in the LA market every year too. One could argue that the TX recruiting base opens, but what recuits will be left after UT, A&M, OU and the SEC take what they want there isn't much left for anyone else much less an out of state school too. I can see the AZ schools falling off the football map pretty bad in this. I'm still really 50/50 on this whole thing really.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #1705
MJ4H
Coordinator

Official:
University of Colorado Joins Pac-10 - PAC-10 OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #1706
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
exactally

Both lose the CA recruiting base and lose having a game in the LA market every year too. One could argue that the TX recruiting base opens, but what recuits will be left after UT, A&M, OU and the SEC take what they want there isn't much left for anyone else much less an out of state school too. I can see the AZ schools falling off the football map pretty bad in this. I'm still really 50/50 on this whole thing really.

Well you could argue that they can swoop in and take the the Texas recruits that wont be going to Mizzou or Nebraska anymore, and those schools have been able to find more then enough talented kids down there, although i dont think this will in any way kill California recruiting like you think it will
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #1707
Blade6119
Coordinator

The one thing i still dont know is how CU or these other schools will handle the penalties for leaving. As of now they just left a conference with fines for leaving, even if it should fold soon. Is there a time period? Will they have to pay in the next few days? I know it will fold eventually, but the teams that leave before it does fold are interesting cases to me.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #1708
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Who woulda though Colorado would end up not even losing the most amount of schollies in the Pac 10 this week?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1709
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas

For the record, we are 17 pages (around 1/8th of which is drivel from MBBF) and over 4 months into this thread, and this is the first official announcement.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1710
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
The one thing i still dont know is how CU or these other schools will handle the penalties for leaving. As of now they just left a conference with fines for leaving, even if it should fold soon. Is there a time period? Will they have to pay in the next few days? I know it will fold eventually, but the teams that leave before it does fold are interesting cases to me.

I think this is a pretty good indication that Colorado knows the Big 12 is done. There will be nobody to pay fines to soon.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1711
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
exactally

I have seen this discussed on the UofA boards and its a valid argument. I bet they each get one home game in california, one in the south and one in the north. The Zona schools get hosed with having to play both Ok and Texas
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1712
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But would make total sense under the current BCS format.

I agree, but it still seems silly.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1713
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So if Colorado joins in 2012, the rumor is Nebraska could be in the Big 10 in 2011. What happens to the Big 12 next year if Nebraska gets out then?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1714
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I have seen this discussed on the UofA boards and its a valid argument. I bet they each get one home game in california, one in the south and one in the north. The Zona schools get hosed with having to play both Ok and Texas

STOOPS FIGHT!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #1715
MJ4H
Coordinator

I want to know what these conferences are going to be called now. As of now the Big 12 has 10 teams and the Big 10 has 12 teams!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #1716
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
For now the SEC is going a completely different route than the Big Ten. The SEC network already exists and is distributed through ESPN regional. If they expand, they'd be looking to add "more product" (ie more games) more than anything else and trying to find quality football schools that fit their brand. I also get a sense that it's a pride thing for them. If other conferences expand, they will expand to remain the best.

Still, I do think your list is pretty accurate, though I would think Clemson should be up there. And I also think FSU is a much better fit than Miami. Miami is already playing it like they wouldn't leave the ACC (they said stuff about wanting to maintain rivalries in the Northeast because that's where much of their alumni is) which to me says the SEC didn't come calling for them.

Could West Virginia fit the SEC?

I couldn't see UNC leaving its in-state rivals.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #1717
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:

I mean it's not like either of us has been tearing up the league in the last 10 years (last year the exception for uofa). We had to play U$C and someone else who was on top (Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington), but we both depend on Cali recruits to keep us going in football.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #1718
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

Ya, in my eyes ASU just went from a top tier basktetball team(three straight 20 win seasons) and a below average football team in conference to an above average basketball school and a terrible football team, as texas now the only school in the Pac 16 that is elite in both football and basketball, and the other schools added are all considered to be pretty good programs in both(minus CU). ASU's athletic outlook is not great with these additions, ignoring what it did for the conference
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #1719
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I want to know what these conferences are going to be called now. As of now the Big 12 has 10 teams and the Big 10 has 12 teams!

Big 10 will stay the same. It's a brand, as much as it doesn't make sense, and I'd be amazed if it changed ever.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #1720
cartman
Death Herald

Baseball tournaments should be epic in the new Pac-16
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #1721
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Could West Virginia fit the SEC?

I couldn't see UNC leaving its in-state rivals.

It seems like the biggest rumors for now are A&M, VT, Clemson and WVU or Lousiville for the 4th spot.

Edit: forgot to say possibly FSU as well. There are questions about whether VT could/would accept because of UVA (and political pressure) going to bat to get them into the ACC. They could be a package, and UVA is not a fit. Also with the ACC's new TV deal, any of the ACC schools could turn them down without it being a financially ridiculous move.

Last edited by timmynausea : 06-10-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #1722
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

Well technically the Big 12 still has 11, for all the assumptions Nebraska is still a Big 12 member. CU was the first and only domino to fall so far, which hopefully sets off the big chain reaction we have all been waiting for
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #1723
Swaggs
Coordinator

If VT goes to the SEC, you would have to think that UVA would be an excellent fit for the Big Ten.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #1724
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It seems like the biggest rumors for now are A&M, VT, Clemson and WVU or Lousiville for the 4th spot.

As a GT fan that's definitely a combination I'd be happy with.

As a UT fan, I'd rather they add none of them but think Clemson & WVU would be the best fits.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #1725
Blade6119
Coordinator

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....s-it-1994.html

Pretty awesome article about the disbanding of the SWC back in 1994, and it is remarkably similar to the disbanding of the Big 12 today. Tons of quotes about power struggles and political charades that ring amazingly true in today's events, but this was just awesome to see considering this is 15 years ago. Just goes to show how little some things change:
Quote:
What if both thought they would be better suited in a "southern division" of the Pac-10 with Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA and USC? What if Colorado jumped the Big Eight and also went to the Pac-10 and that southern division? Texas is known to be a favorite of the Pac-10, and there are Austin whispers about Longhorn honchos also talking up A&M with that conference. Both schools have the high academic standards sought by the Pac-10. You also hear that Texas Tech made Pac-10 overtures on its own, but found zero interest. Then again, what if Texas hooked up with the Big Ten, an option that seems remote.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #1726
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
kinda like the Big 10 not playing everyone nor having one either or calling themselves the Big 10 and having 11 teams.

The PAC-10 didn't play everyone either until the last few years.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #1727
mckerney
Coordinator

Prefered SEC Expansion:
Clemson
Missouri
Memphis
Fresno State
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #1728
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
The PAC-10 didn't play everyone either until the last few years.

true however that was when there were only 11 games not 12 like now.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #1729
cartman
Death Herald

Oct. 16th should be an interesting day in Big 12 football:

Colorado v. Baylor
Texas v. Nebraska
Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #1730
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Prefered SEC Expansion:
Clemson
Missouri
Memphis
Fresno State

lol
Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #1731
Easy Mac

So with the conferences glacially expanding, what does this do for playoffs? It looks like the big 4/5 is inevitable (PAC, B10, SEC, BigEast/ACC, maybe a best of the best from the rest), so that's 64-80 strong teams. That seems to mean that there's no chance that anyone outside of those schools gets into any type of 4 or 8 team tournament. So since the main reason people seemed to want a playoff is to get the underdogs a shot, how does that gel with the way things are moving?

Also, everyone was talking about how unwieldy the 16 team Big East was in basketball, as it was really each team just killing off every other team, and that it was likely to fold. Is 4 or 5 of the same setups really the answer?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #1732
Butter
Coordinator

As a math nerd and a guy with borderline OCD, the Pac 10 tearing apart its near perfect layout is painful. They had 5 perfect rivalries, and 5 great regions for basketball road trips: LA, SF Bay area, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona.

Say goodbye to all of that. Bastards.

I was quietly hoping that they would just go to Colorado and Utah for expansion, and keep a little bit of that alive. Nope.

Last edited by Butter : 06-10-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #1733
timmynausea
College Starter

Hilariously, TMZ is now in on the expansion rumor stuff. They say Oklahoma St. will be the next to officially jump to the Pac 10.

Oklahoma State Next to Jump to Pac-10 Conference | TMZ.com
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #1734
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
As a math nerd and a guy with borderline OCD, the Pac 10 tearing apart its near perfect layout is painful. They had 5 perfect rivalries, and 5 great regions for basketball road trips: LA, SF Bay area, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona.

Say goodbye to all of that. Bastards.

I was quietly hoping that they would just go to Colorado and Utah for expansion, and keep a little bit of that alive. Nope.

yes the true round robin in both football and basketball was nice...we'll see where the expansion leads us.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #1735
MJ4H
Coordinator

Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione confirmed to the Tulsa World that the SEC has shown interests, but that OU will follow Texas.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #1736
Celeval
Pro Starter

Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #1737
timmynausea
College Starter

Another rumor floating around about SEC expansion that could make sense:

Needing 9 of 12 votes to admit a new member, UF, UGA, UK and USC have an agreement to block FSU, GT, Louisville and Clemson.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #1738
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione confirmed to the Tulsa World that the SEC has shown interests, but that OU will follow Texas.

Wow, to admit immediately and without pause that you are your rival's bitch...

(Not saying following Texas isn't the right move, but have some pride man!)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #1739
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Another rumor floating around about SEC expansion that could make sense:

Needing 9 of 12 votes to admit a new member, UF, UGA, UK and USC have an agreement to block FSU, GT, Louisville and Clemson.

Doesn't seem very likely, because even if that is discussed amongst those schools, it only takes the rest of the SEC to say to one of the schools, "Hey, Kentucky, Louisville isn't really an option and we need to expand. Vote those other three with us."
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #1740
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Oklahoma will have to sit on the Big Ten's porch if Texas goes there, though.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #1741
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So what does this mean for Missouri?

Quote:
COLUMBIA | Within moments of the Pac-10 Conference and Colorado confirming the Buffaloes will depart the Big 12 for the West Coast conference, Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton said he had placed a call to Bill Powers of Texas, chairman of the Big 12‘s Board of Directors.

“I’m going to chat with him about the whole thing,” Deaton said, “but I haven’t had a chance to talk to him. Chat with him about the implications of that.”

That news came on the heels of a Missouri curator -- Warren K. Erdman of Kansas City -- telling The Star that he believed there was no change in what he was informed of a week ago, that Missouri had not received an invitation to apply to the Big Ten Conference for membership.

And with Nebraska anticipated to announce plans to join the Big Ten as early as Friday, Deaton was asked about what Erdman agreed was “the elephant in the room” at these two-day meetings of the MU system Board of Curators at the Reynolds Alumni Center in Columbia.

Deaton did not refute Erdman’s statements and did say that he anticipated the curators would be briefed on the status of Missouri’s current situation.

“Conference alignment," he said, would be a “curators’ decision.”

If both Colorado and Nebraska leave the Big 12, and a reported possible move is made of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State joining Colorado in leaving for the Pac-10, the demise of the Big 12 Conference would seem to be a foregone conclusion.

Asked about that directly, Deaton said: “Anything could happen. We’re working hard to hang together.”

Deaton, when asked directly if he anticipated Missouri staying in the Big 12 or going to the Big Ten, said: “We’re proud members of the Big 12 and we’ll leave it right there.”

As far as the Board of Curators, or Deaton, or MU systems president Gary Forsee making a more expansive public statement about the situation, possibly Friday, Deaton said:

“I have no expectations there. That would be up to the board and President Forsee.”

Seems like desperation.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #1742
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Doesn't seem very likely, because even if that is discussed amongst those schools, it only takes the rest of the SEC to say to one of the schools, "Hey, Kentucky, Louisville isn't really an option and we need to expand. Vote those other three with us."

I guess it depends on how you look at it. It makes sense if a particular school's approach is "I don't care as much about who we bring in, so long as (hated rival) doesn't get in." Also, from what I've read, all 4 of those schools (Louisville included) are toward the top of the SEC's wish list.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #1743
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Seems like desperation.

I'm hoping that if the Big Ten does go to 16 teams they end up taking Nebraska, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Pitt, and Kansas. Would really rather have Kansas than Missouri and hopefully by this point the Kansas government realizes it'd be better to split up KU and KSU than see both of them drop to mid major conferences.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #1744
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm hoping that if the Big Ten does go to 16 teams they end up taking Nebraska, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Pitt, and Kansas. Would really rather have Kansas than Missouri and hopefully by this point the Kansas government realizes it'd be better to split up KU and KSU than see both of them drop to mid major conferences.

I want to see K-State in the SEC for no other reason then to see if Bill Snyder can teach some of those SEC guys a trick or two about recruiting.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #1745
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I know these moves are for football, but it would be tough to not overlook the appeal of one of the nation's top and most prestigious basketball programs.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #1746
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I know these moves are for football, but it would be tough to not overlook the appeal of one of the nation's top and most prestigious basketball programs.

Exactly. I don't think there's that big a difference between what you bring in with football between the two schools, but getting Kansas has a huge edge in basketball. Bringing in Pitt and Kansas would really help the top of the conference in basketball.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-10-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #1747
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly. I don't think there's that big a difference between what you bring in with football between the two schools, but getting Kansas has a huge edge in basketball. Bringing in Pitt and Kansas would really help the top of the conference in basketball.

Don't forget, though--Mike Anderson doesn't coach at Kansas.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #1748
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Don't forget, though--Mike Anderson doesn't coach at Kansas.

I figure that Izzo is going to get hired by the Cavs and Anderson will be the first phone call MSU makes.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #1749
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If it comes down to Kansas v. Missouri for the 16th spot, then I think that Kansas is a no-brainer.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #1750
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Seems like desperation.

"UM President Gary Forsee is not believed to be part of Thursday's meeting, nor is MU Chancellor Brady Deaton or Athletic Director Mike Alden present for the morning session."

So basically the three key figures in the expansion process arent even there, so im not sure much of what has come out so far is relevant. Now when they do arrive that changes and everything becomes very relevant. And by the way, all of those quotes are from Deaton, who is not yet apart of these meetings...so im not freaking out just yet.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 01:59 PM.