Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #1701
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A great little write up on the Wings AHL affiliate:

Quote:
With 24 points still up for grabs, the Griffins are 38-18-6-6 with 88 points, fifth in the 29-team American Hockey League, despite icing one of the youngest rosters since affiliating with the Detroit Red Wings in 2002. They're on pace for more than 100 points, and that's only happened twice in six seasons.

In past years, the Red Wings loaded up the Griffins with minor-league veterans. But this season, with a huge crop of rookies in the first years of entry-level contracts, the Red Wings rolled the dice with youth, and it's working.

Even former Griffins forward Carl Corazzini, one of the veterans the Red Wings signed last season, came away impressed after visiting with the Peoria Rivermen this week.

"I'm kind of jealous that I'm not on this team," Corazzini, the Griffins' leading scorer last season, told the Grand Rapids Press. "It's definitely the fastest, most skilled team I've played against this year, even more so than (first-place) Manitoba. I think it's a team I would have liked to play for."

The Red Wings have placed 10 first- and second-year prospects on the Griffins, and that's not counting hot-shot Griffins signee Francis Pare. Former AHL MVP Darren Haydar was the only true veteran the Red Wings brought in.

The Griffins boast the league's best penalty-killing unit (86.8 per cent), the No. 3 power play (20.6 per cent), the third best offence (225 goals) and the ninth best goals against total (186). They also have a league-low penalty-minute total by a wide margin with 837. Only one other team has fewer than 1,037.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #1702
DeToxRox
Head Coach

10 guys on the Wings AHL team have a shot to play on the big club eventually and they're playing amazing in the A. Gotta love it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #1703
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
Thats more like it.

who the fuck are you
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #1704
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go AHL team Manitoba!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #1705
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
who the fuck are you

I'm 4,000 empty seats a night just crying out to be sat in.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #1706
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm 4,000 empty seats a night just crying out to be sat in.

oh, cool. an islanders fan. welcome!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #1707
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
LOL
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #1708
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:

The Devils actually deserve better. If they were someplace that gave a shit about them, Brodeur would be revered. Not to mention Stevens, et al. As it is, they get FAR more publicity and respect in places like Montreal than they do at home. I hear Toronto's looking for a second team.

Last edited by BlackJack : 03-17-2009 at 01:23 PM.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #1709
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I hear Toronto's looking for a second team.
Really? You mean one to go with the Marlies?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #1710
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Really? You mean one to go with the Marlies?

BOOM! Roasted.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #1711
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Way to pick on a guy with a gimp ankle.

Downie probably slashed him on his way out of town.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #1712
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Downie probably slashed him on his way out of town.

He only slashes officials
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #1713
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Pavel Datsyuk is the best all around forward in the NHL.

That is all.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #1714
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

But this guy is the MVP

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #1715
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Congrats on Brodeur getting the record. Now that the pressure's off, can the Devils pretty-please sit him tomorrow? Carolina needs the points. kthx
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #1716
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But this guy will win the Hart.

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-17-2009 at 10:35 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #1717
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think that is the largest picture on the internet.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #1718
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Congrats on Brodeur getting the record. Now that the pressure's off, can the Devils pretty-please sit him tomorrow? Carolina needs the points. kthx

I ahve been a Devils fan since they moved to the state and I am really excited for Marty.

Best goalie in the history of the sport. Period.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #1719
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post

weekes is starting against carolina.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #1720
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But this guy will win the Hart.

Last time a forward won the Hart while finishing 3rd or more in the scoring race was 1991-92, Mark Messier, and his team won the President's trophy.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #1721
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If Ovechkin stays at 20% more goals than anyone else he's at least even money to win the Hart. As long as Crosby doesn't win it's fine.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #1722
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I wonder if this is the year somone (Chara .. maybe Boyle) unseats Lidstrom.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #1723
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
weekes is starting against carolina.

Muchas gracias. A 4-2 Carolina win is just what the doctor ordered.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #1724
samifan24
Pro Starter

What an incredibly disappointing collapse for the Bruins. They were up 2-0 on LA after two periods and lost 3-2 in overtime. The Bruins team of November and December is long gone.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #1725
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Sean, you've created a not-very-funny monster

Twitter / AdamFoote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #1726
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Sean, you've created a not-very-funny monster

Twitter / AdamFoote

Hitting the links then meeting Jay Cutler for dinner. Wants advice on forcing a trade and abandoning your team. I think I can help him out.

Classic.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #1727
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love hockey!

NSFW.. watch at your own risk!

hxxp://www.nhlsnipers.com/florida-panthers-fans-are-nicensfw/
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #1728
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I love hockey!

NSFW.. watch at your own risk!

hxxp://www.nhlsnipers.com/florida-panthers-fans-are-nicensfw/

Nice!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #1729
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I swear, this Hurricanes team is dangerously close to making me believe in them again. Swept a three game homestand by beating the Caps 4-1 last night, giving them a five-point lead on Florida, who lost last night in Columbus. It also nullified FLA's games-in-hand advantage. With Buffalo and Montreal also falling apart, the odds are more favorable now than they have been all year. However, after last year I am not now, not ever saying this team is going to make the playoffs until they actually clinch the berth. The last eight games are going to be a real tough stretch. The only "easy" games left are next Wednesday against an Ottawa team that's decided they'd rather play than fold the tent and an early April game against an Islanders team that very nearly gave them a damaging loss two nights ago. Otherwise, the remainder are against teams already playoff-bound (NJ twice, Pittsburgh) or are fighting for their playoff lives (Rangers, Florida, Buffalo). It starts Monday at Florida. Oddly enough, that'll be the last division game of the year for Carolina, which is in contrast to last year's finishing kick where we played nothing but division opponents for a couple of weeks to finish out.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #1730
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Flyers dives: 1
Penguins dives: 0

Old 03-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #1731
samifan24
Pro Starter

Good win for the Bruins today to lock up home ice advantage in the first round.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #1732
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Flyers dives: 1
Penguins dives: 0

That wasn't a dive...but whatever. Anyway how about this...

PITTSBURGH – Once upon a time, the Flyers’ Chris Therien used to turn Jaromir Jagr inside out and simply harass and frustrate one the greatest players in the game.

Ryan Parent wasn’t around for that, but Sunday afternoon at Mellon Arena, the 22-year-old, third-year defenseman did a remarkable job while head-to-head mostly on Sidney Crosby, and even on Evgeni Malkin, neither of whom got a single shot on goal during a 3-1 loss to the Flyers.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Parent said, when asked if he enjoyed making life miserable for Crosby and Malkin. “I’ll play wherever the coaches tell me to play. And if it’s in a shutdown position against a top line, I’ll go out there and try to keep them off the scoreboard.”

That’s only the second time both those players were held without a shot in a game (April 14, 2007 at New Jersey).
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #1733
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
That wasn't a dive...but whatever. Anyway how about this...

PITTSBURGH – Once upon a time, the Flyers’ Chris Therien used to turn Jaromir Jagr inside out and simply harass and frustrate one the greatest players in the game.

Ryan Parent wasn’t around for that, but Sunday afternoon at Mellon Arena, the 22-year-old, third-year defenseman did a remarkable job while head-to-head mostly on Sidney Crosby, and even on Evgeni Malkin, neither of whom got a single shot on goal during a 3-1 loss to the Flyers.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Parent said, when asked if he enjoyed making life miserable for Crosby and Malkin. “I’ll play wherever the coaches tell me to play. And if it’s in a shutdown position against a top line, I’ll go out there and try to keep them off the scoreboard.”

That’s only the second time both those players were held without a shot in a game (April 14, 2007 at New Jersey).

Hal Gill regularly harrassed Jagr. Hell, when he first was in Washington, Rick Kehoe matched Andy Ference against Jagr. Doesn't make guys who do it one game stars.

Besides, when Crosby can pin Timonen against the boards and come out of the corner to set up Letang, Parent can't cover for both of them.

Not sure if you caught it, end of the 1st, Pierre McGuire said Hartnell and Cooke yapping to each other. Hartnell to Cooke "You see they had to make moves at the deadline (Kunitz and Guerin) to get those guys some real wingers to play with"

What a joke. Why not throw your glove at him next time?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #1734
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Forgot to mention, got the THN Future Watch issue a few weeks back. Anyone interested, I'll try and post your team.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #1735
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers please.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #1736
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola

Forgot to mention, got the THN Future Watch issue a few weeks back. Anyone interested, I'll try and post your team.

Bruins please.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #1737
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oilers would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #1738
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure if you caught it, end of the 1st, Pierre McGuire said Hartnell and Cooke yapping to each other. Hartnell to Cooke "You see they had to make moves at the deadline (Kunitz and Guerin) to get those guys some real wingers to play with"

What a joke. Why not throw your glove at him next time?

Right because Scott Hartnell has 27 goals and 55 points while Matt Cooke has a whopping 9 goals and 27 points. Hartnell speaks the truth, Cooke hardly plays now. Make fun of him all you want about throwing the glove (hell I do), but you'd love to have him on your team instead of Matt Cooke.

Parent is only a 2nd year player. He's going to be a good defenseman, him and Timonen are going to be the top pairing heading into the playoffs. Just thank Nashville (again) for send Parent over. I wont even start to talk about Giroux, that guy is going to be a stud.

Now if they can only get Matt Carle to stop turning the damn puck over so much, that would be a start.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-22-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #1739
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Right because Scott Hartnell has 27 goals and 55 points while Matt Cooke has a whopping 9 goals and 27 points. Hartnell speaks the truth, Cooke hardly plays now. Make fun of him all you want about throwing the glove (hell I do), but you'd love to have him on your team instead of Matt Cooke.

Parent is only a 2nd year player. He's going to be a good defenseman, him and Timonen are going to be the top pairing heading into the playoffs. Just thank Nashville (again) for send Parent over. I wont even start to talk about Giroux, that guy is going to be a stud.

Now if they can only get Matt Carle to stop turning the damn puck over so much, that would be a start.

I didn't realize Cooke was brought in to be a 30 goal winger. Cooke-Staal-Kennedy has been the Pens best like from game 1 - to this point.

And we had "him" here. His name is Ryan Malone. Neither is worth $4M.

And what happened to Coburn? In the game vs Pittsburgh and the few other Flyers game I've watched, he's been pretty below avg.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #1740
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Similar to past years, teams are given a letter grade, rank 1-30 (this include NHLers age 21 and under) and drafting "grade" based on their rank vs. average draft position over the past 4 seasons. [Example, Chicago's avg draft position (ADP) over the past 4 seasons was 6th, #1 in the league. Their prospects are ranked 7th. ADP rank - prospect rank = -6]

Rangers

Grade: C+ 16th/30
ADP: 18th pick (ranked 11th) - prospect rank 16 = -5

[rank, player, ageposition, 08-09 team, acquired] (ranking in top 75 if applicable)

1) Evgeny Grachev, 18, (19th overall), C, Brampton (OHL) 75th pick 2005
2) Michael Del Zotto, 18, (32nd), D, London (OHL), 20th pick 2008
3) Artem Anisimov 20, (48th), C, Hartford (AHL), 54th in 2006
4) Bobby Sanguinetti, 20, (52nd), D, Hartford (AHL), 21st in 2006
5) Derek Stepan, 18,C, Wisconson (CCHA), 51st in 2008
6) Dane Byers, 22, LW, Hartford (AHL), 48th in 2004
7) Ivan Baranka, 23, D, Hartford (AHL), 50th 2003
8) Corey Potter, 25, D, Hartford (AHL), 122nd 2003
9) Michael Sauer, 21, D, Hartford (AHL), 40th 2005
10) David Kveton, 21, RW, Trinec (Czech) 104th 2006
Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #1741
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Boston

Grade: A- (6th/30) (includes under 21 NHLers Kessel, Lucic and Sobotka)
ADP: 13th pick (7th) - prospect rank 6th = +1

1) Tuukk Rask, 21, (11th overall), G, Providence (AHL), Trade with TOR
2) Joe Colborne, 19, (34th overall), C, Denver (WCHA), 18th in 2008
3) Brad Marchand, 20, (67th overall), C, Providence (AHL), 71st 2006
4) Matt Lashoff 22, D, Providence (AHL), 22nd 2005
5) Zach Hamill, 20, C, Providence (AHL), 8th 2007
6) Carl Soderberg, 23, C, Malmo (Sweden), Trade with STL
7) Adam McQuaid, 22, D, Providence (AHL), Trade with COL
8) Tommy Cross, 19, D, Boston College (Hockey East), 35th 2007
9) Martins Karsums, 22, RW, Providence (AHL), 64th 2004
10) Maxime Sauve, 19, C, Val-d'Or (QMJHL) 47th 2008

Obviously, Lashoff and Karsums no longer there. I believe these are complied around December/January.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #1742
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Edmonton

Grade: B (11th/30) (includes Cogliano and Gagner)
ADP: 25th pick (rank 21) - prospect rank (11th) = +10

1) Jordan Eberle, 18, (17th overall), C, Regina (WHL), 22nd 2008
2) Jeff Petry, 21, (63rd overall), D, Mich St (CCHA), 45th 2006
3) Taylor Chorney, 21, D, Springfield (AHL), 36th 2005
4) Jeff Deslauriers, 24, G, Springfield (AHL), 31st 2002
5) JF Jacques, 23, LW, Springfield (AHL), 68th 2003
6) Riley Nash, 19, C, Cornell (ECAC), 21st 2007
7) Devan Dubnyk, 22, G, Springfield (AHL), 14th 2004
8) Linus Omark, 21, LW, Lulea (Sweden), 97th 2007
9) Theo Peckham, 21, D, Springfield (AHL), 75th 2006
10) Rob Schremp, 22, C, Springfield (AHL), 25th 2004

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 03-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #1743
Travis
Pro Rookie

Interesting to see that they have Deslauriers with Springfield when he's been with the Oilers all season (signed a one way contract prior to this season but did spend 2 weeks with Springfield on a conditioning stint).

Thanks for putting that up, was hoping Omark would be getting a bit more love, but given that Peckham has looked pretty good in his limited time with the big club maybe there is some hope for the kid yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #1744
DeToxRox
Head Coach

SR my man, Wings if you'd be so kind.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #1745
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

One thing I've noticed after subscribing for a few years now, invariably, the most recent drafts #1 pick is nearly always the #1 prospect for all teams.

Riley Nash is a great example of this. Last year, he was Edmonton's #1 prospect. Now he's 6th? I can believe a few guys passing him by, but he dropped that much? He's having a pretty similar year this year as last, so was he over-valued last season?

Cody Franson in Nashville is another example. He was Nashville's #1 last season, now #4, passed by Jonathan Blum (#2 last season, #3 this season) and both 1st rounders in 2008 (Wilson and Pickard). Why? I guess because he's a 21 year old D who didn't make it to the NHL this season.

In alot of cases, I think it's alot like what Tavares has gone through. If you spend that extra year or 2 in the AHL, more flaws are perceived. Scouts did it with Tavares, trying to find something to not like.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #1746
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Similar to past years, teams are given a letter grade, rank 1-30 (this include NHLers age 21 and under) and drafting "grade" based on their rank vs. average draft position over the past 4 seasons. [Example, Chicago's avg draft position (ADP) over the past 4 seasons was 6th, #1 in the league. Their prospects are ranked 7th. ADP rank - prospect rank = -6]

Rangers

Grade: C+ 16th/30
ADP: 18th pick (ranked 11th) - prospect rank 16 = -5

[rank, player, ageposition, 08-09 team, acquired] (ranking in top 75 if applicable)

1) Evgeny Grachev, 18, (19th overall), C, Brampton (OHL) 75th pick 2005
2) Michael Del Zotto, 18, (32nd), D, London (OHL), 20th pick 2008
3) Artem Anisimov 20, (48th), C, Hartford (AHL), 54th in 2006
4) Bobby Sanguinetti, 20, (52nd), D, Hartford (AHL), 21st in 2006
5) Derek Stepan, 18,C, Wisconson (CCHA), 51st in 2008
6) Dane Byers, 22, LW, Hartford (AHL), 48th in 2004
7) Ivan Baranka, 23, D, Hartford (AHL), 50th 2003
8) Corey Potter, 25, D, Hartford (AHL), 122nd 2003
9) Michael Sauer, 21, D, Hartford (AHL), 40th 2005
10) David Kveton, 21, RW, Trinec (Czech) 104th 2006

Thanks. Couple things:

1. I wonder where the overall rank would be if Cherepanov hadn't passed away.

2. I think the organization thinks more highly of Sauer, unless his play has dropped off recently.

3. While the rank isn't great, it looks like it's because of a lack of depth, with 4 of the top 52.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #1747
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Detroit's will be interesting. I assume McCollum and Kindl are 1-2 but after that it's what defines a prospect.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #1748
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Detroit

Grade: B- (13th/30)
ADP: 29th pick (rank 27) - prospect rank 13 = +14

Detroit has 6 players ranked in the top 75!

1) Darren Helm, 22, (25th overall), C, Grand Rapids (AHL), 132nd 2005
2) Jonathan Ericsson, 24, (38th overall), D, Grand Rapids (AHL), 291st '02
3) Jakub Kindl, 21, (47th overall), D, Grand Rapids (AHL), 19th 2005
4) Justin Abdelkader, 21, (55th overall), LW, Grand Rapids (AHL), 42nd '05
5) Thomas McCollum, 19, (57th overall), G, Brampton (OHL), 30th 2008
6) Brendan Smith, 19, (73rd overall) D, Wisconson (WCHA), 27th 2007
7) Jimmy Howard, 24, G, Grand Rapids (AHL), 64th 2003
8) Cory Emmerton, 20, C, Grand Rapids (AHL), 41st 2006
9) Joakim Andersson, 19, C, Frolunda (Sweden), 88th 2007
10) Mattias Ritola, 21, LW, Grand Rapids (AHL), 103rd 2005

IMO, the whole McCollum/Howard this is another example of what I'm talking about above. Howard has been in Detroit's top 5 probably the last 3 seasons. But because he didn't make it to the NHL, and McCollum's a 1st rounder, he's obviously better.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #1749
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Detroit

Grade: B- (13th/30)
ADP: 29th pick (rank 27) - prospect rank 13 = +14

Detroit has 6 players ranked in the top 75!

1) Darren Helm, 22, (25th overall), C, Grand Rapids (AHL), 132nd 2005
2) Jonathan Ericsson, 24, (38th overall), D, Grand Rapids (AHL), 291st '02
3) Jakub Kindl, 21, (47th overall), D, Grand Rapids (AHL), 19th 2005
4) Justin Abdelkader, 21, (55th overall), LW, Grand Rapids (AHL), 42nd '05
5) Thomas McCollum, 19, (57th overall), G, Brampton (OHL), 30th 2008
6) Brendan Smith, 19, (73rd overall) D, Wisconson (WCHA), 27th 2007
7) Jimmy Howard, 24, G, Grand Rapids (AHL), 64th 2003
8) Cory Emmerton, 20, C, Grand Rapids (AHL), 41st 2006
9) Joakim Andersson, 19, C, Frolunda (Sweden), 88th 2007
10) Mattias Ritola, 21, LW, Grand Rapids (AHL), 103rd 2005

IMO, the whole McCollum/Howard this is another example of what I'm talking about above. Howard has been in Detroit's top 5 probably the last 3 seasons. But because he didn't make it to the NHL, and McCollum's a 1st rounder, he's obviously better.

Thanks, SR!

I am shocked Helm is #1 mainly because Kindl always gets so much praise. I do agree with that list though as Helm is probably going to be on the 4th line come playoff time, and Ericcson might just be our 7th defensemen from here on out (assuming Lilja stays #6 when back)

The top 4 will all be in the NHL within 2 years, though I suspect Howard gets first crack at the backup job next year. His time in the A is a mixed bag but he has the talent.

Brendan Smith is a monster offensive defensemen but he's hurt all the fucking time. If he can stay healthy he is a perfect fit for the puck control game.

All in all its a solid list.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #1750
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Thanks. Couple things:

1. I wonder where the overall rank would be if Cherepanov hadn't passed away.

2. I think the organization thinks more highly of Sauer, unless his play has dropped off recently.

3. While the rank isn't great, it looks like it's because of a lack of depth, with 4 of the top 52.

They do mention Cherepanov, but not mention on how it effected their ranking.

They do discuss them putting together a string of solid drafts, after they mention back to 2003, when Hugh Jessiman was taken while Parise, Richards, Getzlaf and more were still on the board.