Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #1701
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
That happens to me often in Football Manager. In the 20 odd minutes of fooling around with the latest version of OOTP it didn't happen. I just don't have the time to figure out a whole new interface for a game. It just didn't feel intuitive to me.

Funny as I find EHM impossible to navigate, and I was worried about ootp and the new interface. After 3 long days and nights with it, I find it to be excellent for some reason. Took me about 2 hours to figure out things like how to switch to a different league, DOH! but now I can go all over the place - AND I bookmark places I find that I'm not so sure I'll find again.

There is just SO much data at my fingertips now that I can spend hours just checking out various players, stats, etc...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #1702
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Todd

Your using a made schedule too?

The schedule in the game shows a lot of 1 or 2 game series for last month of the season
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #1703
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Todd

Your using a made schedule too?

The schedule in the game shows a lot of 1 or 2 game series for last month of the season

I don't see any 1 or 2 game series in the quickstart I'm using.

Here is what I'm using: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=130409

That thread, towards the bottom he has an updated QS post patch. It is a FICTIONAL QS though.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #1704
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Thanks

This game is so much improved now.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #1705
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just started a 10 year sim with this QS to get some league history. When it's done, I'm going to check out some things and I'll report back on how everything looks.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #1706
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Ok, someone tell me why I'm an idiot. I had this problem in the early version and I'm still having it. I have my setup checked to exit autoplay when I receive a trade offer. So let's say I'm simming to Apr. 1 and I get a trade offer on Mar. 25. The game exits autoplay on Mar. 25, but the e-mail is blank with the message that the trade offer has expired.

What's the dealio?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #1707
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm downloading the demo now. I don't think I can afford to buy it until next month, but the demo might just get me to beg the wife for a short-term loan.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #1708
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Ok, someone tell me why I'm an idiot. I had this problem in the early version and I'm still having it. I have my setup checked to exit autoplay when I receive a trade offer. So let's say I'm simming to Apr. 1 and I get a trade offer on Mar. 25. The game exits autoplay on Mar. 25, but the e-mail is blank with the message that the trade offer has expired.

What's the dealio?

I get these at times, too. My guess is that you (Team A) get offered a trade using the same player(s) from Team B that another team (Team C) is also offered. When you're on auto-play, the AI controlled team (Team C) sometimes (or maybe always) responds first and accepts the trade. In those cases, the trade offer you receive hasn't so much expired as become invalid.

That's my guess, anyway.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:54 PM   #1709
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Originally Posted by jbmagic
When is the AI going to finally be fixed? Thats the main problem with ootp 2006.

This patch 1.03 doesnt address the AI problems with the game. The players getting sign and release, sign, release again,sign by the same team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
Guess what, it does fix the problems you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Whoa Markus - can we get this in writing? Oh sweet - this is in writing now.

I hope I don't have to dredge up this post in 1 month after finding the problem persists.

Blegh:

This is one of the top 10 players in my universe. Actually, when I saw this, I wasn't as worried about the sign-and-waive (thinking it might be an isolated incidient) as I was about another issue that this raised. The team that signed and dropped him was from my Canadian sister league, which has been setup to be the equivalent of ML's AA with avg. attendances around 11,000/game and ML equivalencies of AA. Vancouver must be doing something right to be able to sign a guy for eight figures. Well let's look at their financial situation:

*dougle ugghh*

A few questions this raises:
1. What is Vancouver doing signing players for $15M/yr when their annual revenue is $18M?
2. What is this team doing signing players when they are already in tons of debt?
3. What is this guy doing sigining on with this team, even if they are offering good money - does he think Canadian baseball's gonna surpass US baseball anytime soon? Maybe there's a war on and he's trying to dodge a draft?
4. Of course, with the sign-and-waive, why would Vancouver throw away $47M just like that.
5. When you setup a new universe, the game makes you spend time to define "Superstar Quality Player Typical Salary", "Average Play Salary", etc. (a step that I already find to be forcing us to make up for laziness of the part of the game - I think the game, based on the ecomomic situation of the teams in the league, and supply/demand, should be able to determine the appropriate contract values for all players - but that rant is for another day...) Why, when I set Canadian superstar salaries to $2,500,000, would a team in the league sign a player for $15M/yr. I really don't want to hear that those 5 minutes I spent setting up those salary figures were a waste of time...

...end rant...

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 09-03-2006 at 07:59 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #1710
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

dola - fyi: this is using the latest patch 1.0.3, and the universe was created from scratch using the latest patch (so it's not a situation where the universe was started in 1.0.2 and then upgraded later)
Old 09-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #1711
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

am i the only one seeing this shit?!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #1712
Galaril
Pro Starter

Not good.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #1713
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wow, SISA really *does* stink too (3/4/5 to 6/1/6 to 4/3/5).
Old 09-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #1714
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Is anyone else having major navigation issues? My mouse pointer is moving reallllly slllllowwwwllly, and I'm having to click on things several times...

Sounds like what I was seeing on my laptop - your CPU is getting thrashed. Go to the options and turn off the news ticker and that should clear everything up.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #1715
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm seeing some bad financial moves (not as bad as above though) even with the short game time of the 1.03 demo as well. Oh well, hopefully 07 will get these issues worked out.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:33 AM   #1716
RainMaker
General Manager

Is anyone else worried about what is being planned for 2007? Expansion!?!?!?!?!?

Call me crazy, but is this just not another complicated feature to add to the game that will really appease a small percent of gamers. Now expansion would be cool, but it would be cool in a good game.

I just see all this talk of new features and such for 2007 and can't believe that the primary focus of the guys at SI is to not fix all the problems with 2006 on top of adding in the missing features from 6.51 that almost everyone misses.

Is anyone else worried that the next version could turn into much of the same with a bunch of new complicated features that won't work well to go along with the 2006 version of the game that doesn't work very well either. In my opinion, the focus should be on bringing back what was great with the old versions, simplifying it and making the tedious tasks less tedious, fixing the financials and roster management, fixing the in-game AI, and adding some of the missing features that are missed. I swear it seems that they listen to the 5 people on the OOTP boards that have the most grandiose ideas for the game that shouldn't even be considered till the other issues are ironed out. Keep listening to them and they'll end up with another disaster like 2006.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #1717
Galaril
Pro Starter

Re: Alright boyz, here we go!!! OOTP2006 First Impressions Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is anyone else worried about what is being planned for 2007? Expansion!?!?!?!?!?

Call me crazy, but is this just not another complicated feature to add to the game that will really appease a small percent of gamers. Now expansion would be cool, but it would be cool in a good game.

I just see all this talk of new features and such for 2007 and can't believe that the primary focus of the guys at SI is to not fix all the problems with 2006 on top of adding in the missing features from 6.51 that almost everyone misses.

Is anyone else worried that the next version could turn into much of the same with a bunch of new complicated features that won't work well to go along with the 2006 version of the game that doesn't work very well either. In my opinion, the focus should be on bringing back what was great with the old versions, simplifying it and making the tedious tasks less tedious, fixing the financials and roster management, fixing the in-game AI, and adding some of the missing features that are missed. I swear it seems that they listen to the 5 people on the OOTP boards that have the most grandiose ideas for the game that shouldn't even be considered till the other issues are ironed out. Keep listening to them and they'll end up with another disaster like 2006.

Great post.IMHO. I would put afreeze on the expansion idea for another year if I was SI. But...........I'm not.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #1718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Oh well, hopefully 07 will get these issues worked out.

And maybe pigs will fly.

I suppose anything is possible.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #1719
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Great post.

I happen to be one that likes the current version and have been able to look past some of the issues and enjoy playing the game.

I spend quite a bit of time on their boards and find this "5 people" thing to be very true. One guy posts his "thing that is missing" (the one that always gets me is we need relegation\promotion before we get roster movement right) and gets a few others posting in support. They then continue to hammer the subject every chance they get until they convince themselves that they are the majority. Hell, they must be look at all the posts.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #1720
DanGarion
Coordinator

Waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa. Gah you people get annoying sometimes.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #1721
Icy
Pro Starter

Off topic, do any of you have the latest mlb06 roster set from cubby? The link in the thread at ootp forums is not working. I want to start to play again, please PM me if you got it.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #1722
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Off topic, do any of you have the latest mlb06 roster set from cubby? The link in the thread at ootp forums is not working. I want to start to play again, please PM me if you got it.
I've got it, in rar. format. I know you said PM, too lazy to do it, sorry.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #1723
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa. Gah you people get annoying sometimes.
Why, because we expect better. Actually, the posting of that screenshot was very helpful for me, thanks.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #1724
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have only done some brief looking around in my QS league - ALL FICTIONAL, ONLY MLB and below and I've been happy with looking over the all star players. Most of them have been on the same team for all 10 years, which is a good thing.

I'll dig more into this league tonight, but I haven't run accross anything too goofy yet... not saying I won't either.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #1725
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The only issue I'm seeing and it's not a common thing, is the sign for a big multi-year deal and then immediately trade the player to another team. I've seen this a few times so far, but nothing yet like posted above, which might be an issue with multiple leagues?

I do think the facetool is the best mod ever written for a game. (I know Arlie has a good fictional face generator in his games).

Talk about added so much immersion to a fictional league. It even works on real MLB leagues and only creates faces for players like rookies and don't currently have pictures.

Awesome!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #1726
JS19
College Prospect

I'm an idiot. I have already purchased the latest version, and have it d/l on my computer back home. I am now back at school and want to put it on this computer. How do I go about d/l the game again?? I searched the site, and i'm sure it's on there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #1727
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I'm an idiot. I have already purchased the latest version, and have it d/l on my computer back home. I am now back at school and want to put it on this computer. How do I go about d/l the game again?? I searched the site, and i'm sure it's on there somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

http://www.ootpbaseball2006.com/down...=download&id=1
Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #1728
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Thanks. And I take it since I no longer have my purchase confirmation email if I call/email them they can send that to me?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #1729
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Thanks. And I take it since I no longer have my purchase confirmation email if I call/email them they can send that to me?

Yep. Send them an email and they are usually VERY quick about responding. Of course today's a holiday.. but you'll have it by tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 AM   #1730
Marc Duffy
SI Games

JS19 : MAil me your details and I don't mind looking this up for you.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:51 AM   #1731
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
am i the only one seeing this shit?!

Well, I have never seen this kind of stuff in my testing...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #1732
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Blegh:

This is one of the top 10 players in my universe. Actually, when I saw this, I wasn't as worried about the sign-and-waive (thinking it might be an isolated incidient) as I was about another issue that this raised. The team that signed and dropped him was from my Canadian sister league, which has been setup to be the equivalent of ML's AA with avg. attendances around 11,000/game and ML equivalencies of AA. Vancouver must be doing something right to be able to sign a guy for eight figures. Well let's look at their financial situation:

*dougle ugghh*

A few questions this raises:
1. What is Vancouver doing signing players for $15M/yr when their annual revenue is $18M?
2. What is this team doing signing players when they are already in tons of debt?
3. What is this guy doing sigining on with this team, even if they are offering good money - does he think Canadian baseball's gonna surpass US baseball anytime soon? Maybe there's a war on and he's trying to dodge a draft?
4. Of course, with the sign-and-waive, why would Vancouver throw away $47M just like that.
5. When you setup a new universe, the game makes you spend time to define "Superstar Quality Player Typical Salary", "Average Play Salary", etc. (a step that I already find to be forcing us to make up for laziness of the part of the game - I think the game, based on the ecomomic situation of the teams in the league, and supply/demand, should be able to determine the appropriate contract values for all players - but that rant is for another day...) Why, when I set Canadian superstar salaries to $2,500,000, would a team in the league sign a player for $15M/yr. I really don't want to hear that those 5 minutes I spent setting up those salary figures were a waste of time...

...end rant...

Look at their budget, it is in the negatives, which seems to confuse the game... I have no clue though how it could get there. I suggest editing this team's fincancials.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #1733
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Look at their budget, it is in the negatives, which seems to confuse the game... I have no clue though how it could get there. I suggest editing this team's fincancials.

I would respectfully suggest that you make this an issue for the next version since it won't get fixed in this one. The game should be able to handle negative budgets or it should prevent them from happening.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #1734
dcg12
n00b

Eaglesfan I think you missed what Markus was trying to say. A team should never have a negative budget. They can be negative in cash i.e. losing money but the budget is set by the team owner based on last years income. Markus was saying something was whacked in the set-up or the game somehow got corrupted I have had teams lose money in my league but the budget while smaller than the money losing year is still based on income(attendance+media+merchandising).
dcg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #1735
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg12 View Post
Eaglesfan I think you missed what Markus was trying to say. A team should never have a negative budget. They can be negative in cash i.e. losing money but the budget is set by the team owner based on last years income. Markus was saying something was whacked in the set-up or the game somehow got corrupted I have had teams lose money in my league but the budget while smaller than the money losing year is still based on income(attendance+media+merchandising).

EXACTLY. The budget is screwed up.

EF - There are so many ways to set this game up and it looks like something happened when lighthousekeeper set up his leagues.

I haven't seen anything like this in my scouring of my 10 year sim.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-05-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #1736
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg12 View Post
I'm seeing this as a game-produced problem rather than a user setup created problem.

These are the numbers I'm seeing from above:

Last Season
This Season
Gate Revenue $12,222,496
$12,222,496
Playoff Revenue $153,483
$0
Media Revenue $5,000,000
$5,750,000
Merchandising Revenue $3,500,010
$3,500,010
Cash $5,256,982
-$37,001,127
Total Revenue $26,132,971
-$15,528,621 <---This seems to be the game calculated budget

Player Expenses $62,922,040
$11,545,480
Staff Expenses $212,058
$218,400

Difference -$37,001,127
-$27,292,501 <---This seems to be the projected balance

I'm guessing that the current budget is the calculation based on last year's numbers and this year's figures.

Last edited by 21C : 09-05-2006 at 11:10 AM.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #1737
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

[quote=MizzouRah;1238572]EXACTLY. The budget is screwed up.
EF - There are so many ways to set this game up and it looks like something happened when lighthousekeeper set up his leagues.[\QUOTE]

All I did was setup what I think is a pretty straightforward universe. One major league with an inferior major league in another country. I think a lot of people setup similar universes. It's not like I manually set Vancouver's budget to < $0, since that's not even an option. Who set Vancouver's budget to < $0? The computer. Should the computer have done this? Of course not - it doesn't make sense. Therefore in my mind it's a bug (albiet it a rare bug). But I guess no one else, including the game developer, agrees. *shurg*
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #1738
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

[quote=lighthousekeeper;1238647]
Quote:
EF - There are so many ways to set this game up and it looks like something happened when lighthousekeeper set up his leagues.[\QUOTE]

All I did was setup what I think is a pretty straightforward universe. One major league with an inferior major league in another country. I think a lot of people setup similar universes. It's not like I manually set Vancouver's budget to < $0, since that's not even an option. Who set Vancouver's budget to < $0? The computer. Should the computer have done this? Of course not - it doesn't make sense. Therefore in my mind it's a bug (albiet it a rare bug). But I guess no one else, including the game developer, agrees. *shurg*

I'm not really saying it's YOUR fault, just that maybe something got screwed up in either the creation or the way ootp handles a league setup like that? I'm not denying it's a bug.. and I was hoping Markus could check out your league file for you.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #1739
Galaril
Pro Starter

This sure looks like a bug and not a setup problem. In any regard doesn't it fall to the game developer to at least check it out ?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #1740
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

[quote=MizzouRah;1238656]
Quote:

I'm not really saying it's YOUR fault, just that maybe something got screwed up in either the creation or the way ootp handles a league setup like that? I'm not denying it's a bug.. and I was hoping Markus could check out your league file for you.

My point stands. The game shouldn't allow teams to go into negative value budgets. If it does, the AI has to be fixed to deal with negative budgets. Looking at my problems in my league, there is a team with a negative budget too, and that might be the source of my major gripe with the financial aspect of the game. I just used a relatively standard setup of MLB, minor leagues, and a few other countries.

Edit: Is it just me, or is the quote function acting buggy I quoted MizzouRah not Lighthousekeeper.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #1741
Qrusher14242
High School JV

Can anyone connect to the OOTP site? it seems to be down
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #1742
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
Can anyone connect to the OOTP site? it seems to be down

Haven't been able to get through either.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #1743
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It has been down.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #1744
dervack
College Prospect

Up now.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #1745
Fouts
College Starter

I had a problem like this when I edited the financial coefficient AND the ticket prices/salaries when setting up my league. I don't know if this is the same case, but I realized I should only edit one of those.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #1746
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I had a problem like this when I edited the financial coefficient AND the ticket prices/salaries when setting up my league. I don't know if this is the same case, but I realized I should only edit one of those.

FWIW, I left the financial coefficient set at 1.00 (mostly because I have no idea what a financial coefficient is). I also did not edit ticket prices.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #1747
jbmagic
Pro Starter

[quote=lighthousekeeper;1238647]
Quote:

I doubt this will get address. Should of posted this at ootp because Markus reply and closed the thread at ootp.

The way it sounds like Markus doesnt think its a bug what he reply over there before you posted this.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #1748
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
The only issue I'm seeing and it's not a common thing, is the sign for a big multi-year deal and then immediately trade the player to another team. I've seen this a few times so far, but nothing yet like posted above, which might be an issue with multiple leagues?

I do think the facetool is the best mod ever written for a game. (I know Arlie has a good fictional face generator in his games).

Talk about added so much immersion to a fictional league. It even works on real MLB leagues and only creates faces for players like rookies and don't currently have pictures.

Awesome!!!

Will this utility work on a Mac? I awitched to a MabBook and love the looks of this utility, but somehow I'm doubting it'll work.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #1749
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm unclear as to what Mizzou posted. Are you saying that a utility generated that page (or just the faces)? If the page, what does it look like in the game without the utility?

I would love to have a page that look like that when playing a historical league in OOTP5. I agree that it really is immersive and great looking.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #1750
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

The utility just generates the faces (the page is a ootp page). But the face utility really is a great tool.