Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #1701
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, Alabama is going to be an interesting team on NCAA tourney selection day. 2nd place in the SEC currently, but they have a scheduling quirk where they've played most of the top teams only once. They also had some bad losses in the non-conference schedule.

Tennessee is also hot of late. 8 of their last 10 after starting 1-4 in conference. Beat UK and UF at home now and still have Mizzou at home to finish the regular season. That game may be to decide whether Mizzou or Tennessee get a double bye in the SEC tournament.

A 16 team conference in the SEC can't come soon enough. Scheduling inconsistencies are pretty big when you have an unbalanced schedule.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #1702
Butter
Coordinator

How would a 16 team conference fix it? You are still going to have teams playing different teams on the other side of the conference if you retain a standard 8 team East/West split.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #1703
Butter
Coordinator

So, I've seen things in the last couple of IU games that make me question Crean and his tactics.

First, you had Cody Zeller "punched" by Derrick Nix of Michigan State.

Then last night, you had Will Sheehey roll around like a Brazilian soccer player after having elbows somewhere in the vicinity of his face.

Isolated incidents, or indicative of a trend? That trend, of course, being one of favoring unethical gamesmanship, so long as it gives IU an advantage.

I'll hang up to hear your response.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #1704
Kodos
Resident Alien

Somehow, I don't think the Zeller thing came from Coach Crean. And to me, I don't really buy the thought that Zeller somehow made Nix do that.

The Sheehey thing was clearly an attempt to get a flagrant called. I think that fits his personality. Like any sport with fouls, I think there is a fair amount of acting out there. If never getting knocked down was a sign of manliness, there would be a lot fewer guys hitting the floor.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #1705
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, I've seen things in the last couple of IU games that make me question Crean and his tactics.

First, you had Cody Zeller "punched" by Derrick Nix of Michigan State.

Then last night, you had Will Sheehey roll around like a Brazilian soccer player after having elbows somewhere in the vicinity of his face.

Isolated incidents, or indicative of a trend? That trend, of course, being one of favoring unethical gamesmanship, so long as it gives IU an advantage.

I'll hang up to hear your response.

Just read this on Deadspin.

Did Tom Crean Tell His Indiana Players To Flop Late In Last Night's Loss To Minnesota? Here's What He Said, According To A Lip Reader
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #1706
Kodos
Resident Alien

My brother, a Penn State grad, was jokingly rooting for Penn State to run the table in the Big Ten. I had to call him and let him know that the dream was over.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-27-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #1707
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. Uhh. Michigan? There goes your shot at a 2 seed unless you win out..including B1G tourney.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1708
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Wow. I missed it. I would have loved to have seen Michigan shit the bed. Damn it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #1709
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa shooting 27% in the 1st half hosting Purdue. Somehow we are up by 7.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #1710
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Some time ago I accepted Michigan as a marginal Sweet 16 team. They are just taking their time letting everybody else know. Unless something rather significant happens, this team is done.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #1711
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Helluva a choke job by Oklahoma against a terrible Texas team. OU was up 22 with 8:00 to go and lost. From last night's Bubble Watch on ESPN....

Quote:
Provided they (OU) don't also suffer some sort of TCU/Texas-induced meltdown down the stretch, Lon Kruger's team is dancing.

Ouch.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #1712
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Matthean, just a week ago you seem to have thought UM had the inside track to B1G title...
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #1713
cadmus2166
Mascot

Michigan has really lost their way recently. For awhile I though they might snap out of it, but I really think that they will probably end up a 3 or 4 seed with an early tourney exit. It just seems like they bought into everyone talking about how good they were for awhile, and now can't find the heart to escape the funk they are in.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #1714
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmus2166 View Post
Michigan has really lost their way recently. For awhile I though they might snap out of it, but I really think that they will probably end up a 3 or 4 seed with an early tourney exit. It just seems like they bought into everyone talking about how good they were for awhile, and now can't find the heart to escape the funk they are in.

I believe I was the one that said Michigan had the inside track but I said it before the Wisconsin game and also said that the Michigan/Wisconsin game would dictate a lot... apparently it was going to dictate the start of their freefall.

That Indiana@Michigan game is still going to be a huuuuge game. Michigan will be playing to earn back some respect and Indiana will be playing for an outright title possibly.

It's got me thinking about how if Wisconsin does happen to beat MSU the Badgers will play @PSU for their final game...does PSU come out and beat Wisconsin too. I shudder at the thought.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #1715
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA has won back to back games with just 7 players in it's rotation
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #1716
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Matthean, just a week ago you seem to have thought UM had the inside track to B1G title...

A week ago Indiana had a two game lead over the rest of the conference, and I even said Indiana had essentially wrapped up the Big Ten regular season title after the MSU win. Maybe three weeks ago but let's not forget Michigan was still ranked #4 going into last night's game, and Michigan had no business being ranked that high.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #1717
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This season has been a fantastic season if you're a college basketball fan and a horrible season if you're a diehard fan. Lots of chaos with no really clear leaders. It's fun to watch, but often maddening for most fans.

The tournament is going to be awesome.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #1718
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. There is no clear favorite to win it all. I'm just happy the Indiana seems to be a very legitimate contender after a couple decades where we weren't.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #1719
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA has won back to back games with just 7 players in it's rotation

Critical game on Saturday against Arizona at Pauley.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #1720
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

TERRIBLE!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #1721
Logan
Head Coach

Recruits will love them, we know that's all that matters.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #1722
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Recruits will love them, we know that's all that matters.

Since when did Zubaz pants suddenly become cool again?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1723
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Since when did Zubaz pants suddenly become cool again?

No one ever wanted non-fitted hats. Then "snap back" hats with the old logos and colors became prevalent everywhere. 90s shit is very popular right now. Starter jackets are being made again.

Then you have guys like this:

Gronkowski Brothers Become Ambassadors For Zubaz Pants - Forbes
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #1724
britrock88
Pro Starter

Deja vu, and dear God, those unis.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #1725
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

They look like effin pajamas. I would definitely wear them around my house before bed. Never out in public.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #1726
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
They look like effin pajamas. I would definitely wear them around my house before bed. Never out in public.

You shouldn't wear a basketball jersey and shorts in public anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #1727
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You shouldn't wear a basketball jersey and shorts in public anyway.

What if you're a gangster ?

I meant public tho like a nationally televised basketball game. I have no problem w people wearing basketball jerseys but not a full uniform like that.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #1728
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They look like effin pajamas..
That was my first reaction too.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #1729
Buccaneer
Head Coach

They look like clowns.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #1730
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA is wearing them for the PAC-12 tournament and that is probably it. It would be a sad indictment if one of the blue bloods has to resort to wearing those. They look like the LA Rams

Nice to see they got the shoulder stripe right for one sport

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-28-2013 at 06:54 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #1731
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This season has been a fantastic season if you're a college basketball fan and a horrible season if you're a diehard fan. Lots of chaos with no really clear leaders. It's fun to watch, but often maddening for most fans.

The tournament is going to be awesome.

Not as chaotic as it may appear.

The team winning it has in the last 10 years finished in the top 20 in both offensive and defensive efficency.

Them teams right now are......(And yes a team making a run will improve their efficiency ratings during the run so some other teams could sneak in but as of NOW)

Florida(Would probably be the clear favorite with the #4 offense and #3 defense)
Indiana
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Michigan State
Ohio State
-------------------------
Louisville and Duke are ranked 21st on offense and defense respectively so real close to sneaking into contender status.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-28-2013 at 08:24 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #1732
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Not as chaotic as it may appear.

The team winning it has in the last 10 years finished in the top 20 in both offensive and defensive efficency.

Them teams right now are......

Florida(Would probably be the clear favorite with the #4 offense and #3 defense)
Indiana
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Michigan State
Ohio State
-------------------------
Louisville and Duke are ranked 21st on offense and defense respectively so real close to sneaking into contender status.
I've definitely been eying up that stat as well. The Badgers last year were kind of reversed for what they are this year. Badgers this year are elite defensively and 29th offensively. I do believe the Badgers have the potential to be pretty tough offensively they're equally just as able to have horrible nights, too offensively. However, if you've got elite defense, you're going to be in most, if not all games. The Badgers have only had a few games where they were off on both ends of the floor. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this tournament for the Badgers, more-so than other tourneys only because there are no absolutely dominant teams that will just will themselves to wins. The big game for the Badgers will be the game at the Breslin Center against MSU. Win that or make it as good as a game as Kenpom predicts it to be and I'll feel good entering the tourney. Lay down a stinker and I'll be satisfied with a Sweet 16 and hoping for the best. Win out the regular season and if we can land a 3 seed I will be hoping for at least an Elite 8 Run this year.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-28-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #1733
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've definitely been eying up that stat as well. The Badgers last year were kind of reversed for what they are this year. Badgers this year are elite defensively and 29th offensively. I do believe the Badgers have the potential to be pretty tough offensively they're equally just as able to have horrible nights, too offensively. However, if you've got elite defense, you're going to be in most, if not all games. The Badgers have only had a few games where they were off on both ends of the floor. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this tournament for the Badgers, more-so than other tourneys only because there are no absolutely dominant teams that will just will themselves to wins. The big game for the Badgers will be the game at the Breslin Center against MSU. Win that or make it as good as a game as Kenpom predicts it to be and I'll feel good entering the tourney. Lay down a stinker and I'll be satisfied with a Sweet 16 and hoping for the best. Win out the regular season and if we can land a 3 seed I will be hoping for at least an Elite 8 Run this year.

They certainly could. I had to do a double look when I seen the Badgers 2nd on defense. Like you said normally that number is reversed. In addition if the Badgers were to make that run they probably would end the year top 20 in offense so that stat could still be accurate
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #1734
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
They certainly could. I had to do a double look when I seen the Badgers 2nd on defense. Like you said normally that number is reversed. In addition if the Badgers were to make that run they probably would end the year top 20 in offense so that stat could still be accurate

Annnd, as I post that there is rumor that one of the better defensive players for the Badgers injured his knee.. Ryan Evans is the player. The rumor is the MCL is involved.

This could be one of the more interesting scenarios to happen for the Badgers. He is BY FAR the worst offensive option for the Badgers and on top of that he has the highest usage rate 26% and the lowest offensive rating at 89.5, which is one of the worst in the country, not to mention his attrocious free throw % at 40ish%. On the flip side, the guy who usually comes in for him is Dekker, who uses 21% usage rate and a rating of 120.5 offensively but he lacks a little bit on the rebounding and defensive side that Evans excels at. What will prevail?

I really hate end of the year injuries (for any team) as it throws shit off. And this would be the second major injury on the season(Gasser was injured a week before season..out for season). In 2007 the Badgers went 30-6 (overall, and had 2 seed in tourney) they lost Brian Butch at the end of the year and ended up losing in the second round to UNLV. Hopefully this doesn't take the same path...

Last edited by mauchow : 02-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #1735
spleen1015
Coordinator

Ugh, Duke.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #1736
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

There's a good recent Gasaway column about the Wisconsin reversal in excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Ugh, Duke.

On a serious note, I'd say this is good for the ACC in that Virginia is a very solid team (#16 in KenPom) who's getting dragged down RPI-wise by that home loss to 4-2x Old Dominion. This win should get them in the tourney, where they have the skill to upset somebody as a 10-12 seed.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #1737
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
There's a good recent Gasaway column about the Wisconsin reversal in excellence.

Insider? My subscription ran out last year.. my wife doesn't want me to have anymore unread ESPN magazines laying around.. lol
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #1738
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tonight's Mizzou game was a perfect example of what Mizzou fans have been asking for. Flip Pressey scores 0 points and yet he was clearly the reason that Mizzou won that game. Controlled the game all night long and makes it so much easier for the rest of his teammates when he does exactly that. Excellent defense as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #1739
britrock88
Pro Starter

Actually just a subtopic in his Tuesday Truths over at Basketball Prospectus...

Basketball Prospectus | Tuesday Truths: Crunch Time Edition

Man, I love Gasaway.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #1740
britrock88
Pro Starter

For instance, lines like "It's well known that Wisconsin exists solely to sow analytic confusion and spawn pernicious stereotypes" really amuse me.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #1741
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
For instance, lines like "It's well known that Wisconsin exists solely to sow analytic confusion and spawn pernicious stereotypes" really amuse me.

Yeah, that was a good one.

Thanks for the heads up on that article. It was a good read and definitely reiterates the greatness that Bo is for Wisconsin.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-28-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #1742
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, Ohio State's not winning the national title.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #1743
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tonight's Mizzou game was a perfect example of what Mizzou fans have been asking for. Flip Pressey scores 0 points and yet he was clearly the reason that Mizzou won that game. Controlled the game all night long and makes it so much easier for the rest of his teammates when he does exactly that. Excellent defense as well.

+1
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #1744
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #1745
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Lmfao
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #1746
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard at Princeton tonight. Come on!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #1747
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The guy scratching his head is hilarious to analyze.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #1748
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The guy scratching his head is hilarious to analyze.

I need to cut a little right here and here..then I'll look just like coach k!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #1749
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting look at the unbalanced schedule issue in the SEC. It's one of the big reasons why the conference currently had a 2nd place team in conference who has a good chance of missing the NCAA field.

Here's the current strength of schedule within the conference games:

Quote:
1. Auburn 148-122
2. Miss. St. 147-123
3. Texas A&M 143-127
4. Tennessee 141-129
5. Georgia 139-131
6. Missouri 138-132
7. South Carolina 134-136
8. Vanderbilt 133-137
8. Arkansas 133-137
10. Florida 130-140
10. Kentucky 130-140
12. LSU 128-142
13. Ole Miss 124-146
14. Alabama 122-148

The top four teams currently in the conference standings all have conference SOS in the bottom five of the ranking. Only Mizzou and Tennessee have +.500 records in conference against a +.500 SOS.

I think we're only going to see more situations where the conference regular season championship has less meaning as we move to super-conferences just because you're not going to play everyone home and home, so there's going to be some disparity of SOS even within the conference standings.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #1750
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Interesting look at the unbalanced schedule issue in the SEC. It's one of the big reasons why the conference currently had a 2nd place team in conference who has a good chance of missing the NCAA field.

Here's the current strength of schedule within the conference games:

The top four teams currently in the conference standings all have conference SOS in the bottom five of the ranking. Only Mizzou and Tennessee have +.500 records in conference against a +.500 SOS.

I think we're only going to see more situations where the conference regular season championship has less meaning as we move to super-conferences just because you're not going to play everyone home and home, so there's going to be some disparity of SOS even within the conference standings.

You should go back and read panerd's response. Not a mathematically sound analysis. The is no doubt Bama has an easier schedule but this isn't the way to analyze it.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote