Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #1701
molson
General Manager

Syracuse has a carefully planned out jock curriculum. If you can't handle that, you either don't care or you can't read at all.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #1702
spleen1015
Coordinator

Seeing that 3 pointer that Melo shot at the end of the game in the Big East tourney, I'm positive the guy is pretty stupid.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #1703
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Syracuse has a carefully planned out jock curriculum. If you can't handle that, you either don't care or you can't read at all.

In his case, neither.

He can't read English at all. Sadly, all of his classes at SU were conducted in that language.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1704
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yup. That would be 2003. I remember that title game all too well. Tho I remember damn Gerry McNamara a lot more than Anthony in that game

SI

My caring ended at the Final Four game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #1705
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yup. That would be 2003. I remember that title game all too well. Tho I remember damn Gerry McNamara a lot more than Anthony in that game

SI

Hakeem Warrick blocking Michael Lee's shot from the corner is what stands out to me. Still makes me a sad panda to this day.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #1706
molson
General Manager

You guys are cheering me up with your reminiscing
Old 03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #1707
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
You guys are cheering me up with your reminiscing

"Keith Smart, 1987" should put a stop to that cheerfulness.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #1708
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

or just transfer it to Kodos.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #1709
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm trying to remember what KU's athlete curriculum is. I believe it's "Communication Studies" or something like that. You know- the one that involves "History of TV" and classes like that.

The memory of Sasha Kaun and his computer science degree still brings a tear to my eye. That means we still have some kinship there- I'm a tall-ish, slow white guy of slavic heritage with a Comp Sci degree from KU and he's... a lot better at basketball than I'll ever be but qualifies for all those other things.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #1710
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
"Keith Smart, 1987" should put a stop to that cheerfulness.

Before my time thankfully. I wasn't a fan until the day I decided to go to school there about a decade later.

...maybe we can get one of those cam newton deals where a guy is ineligible for 5 minutes.

Last edited by molson : 03-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #1711
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

or just transfer it to Kodos.

Alas, that was before I had moved to Ohio from Rochester, NY. I didn't really follow basketball back then. I became a basketball fan only after I started attending Indiana in 1989.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #1712
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i grew up in the cuse so i remember it well. my earliest sports memories are of patrick ewing goaltending 25 ft jump shots.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #1713
cartman
Death Herald

The reason I remember the '87 game was that one of my favorite teachers went to Syracuse, and was approaching MBBF levels of homerism the day of the game. The next day we were sitting in class, when a couple of seniors knocked on the door. They came in, dropped their pants, and one of them had painted a red 7 and 4 on their cheeks and the other had orange 7 and 3, then pulled up their pants and ran out.

Last edited by cartman : 03-13-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #1714
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

well, no great shock but
Quote:
This is expected to be the end of Melo’s career at Syracuse, as multiple sources, both in the N.B.A. and at Syracuse, have said Melo plans to declare for the N.B.A. draft after this season. Melo is a sophomore, but he will be 22 by the time of the draft in June. While he is not a guaranteed first-round pick, some N.B.A. team will probably be interested in his 7-foot, 275-pound frame. If he does not make the N.B.A., Melo could return to his native Brazil to play professionally.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #1715
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Take with a metric ton of salt.

I'm hearing it's related to this (yes, link is from 6/11):
Syracuse University basketball player Fab Melo's "volatile relationship" with girlfriend detailed in police records | syracuse.com

Last edited by Chubby : 03-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #1716
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Take with a metric ton of salt.

I'm hearing it's related to this (yes, link is from 6/11):
Syracuse University basketball player Fab Melo's "volatile relationship" with girlfriend detailed in police records | syracuse.com

Three or four media types have heard from "sources" that its academics.

The NCAA's statement that "eligibility is determined by the schools" is disingenuous at best, and outright lie at worst. Dude did not get grades that would make him eligible for spring hoops in the fall semester. SU applied TO THE NCAA for a waiver allowing him to become eligible. The waiver was initially denied, then approved on appeal.

Putting that knowledge together with Dana O'Neil's report from yesterday, it appears that the NCAA this week decided to "revisit" the waiver, and reversed their decision to grant it.

But, in any case, since a waiver from the NCAA was part of his eligibility being restored in January, and a subsequent check that NCAA bylaws do include provisions for academic eligibility waivers kind of belies the statement that the NCAA has nothing to do with academic eligibility issues once the students (a term I use loosely applying to Fab) enter school.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1717
cartman
Death Herald

On the women's side of the sport, coach Gail Goestenkors is resigning from Texas, saying he is worn out and needs a break from basketball. Although she had made the tournament in each of her seasons at Texas, she wasn't able to replicate the success she had at Duke. It'll be interesting to see who they bring in, since Baylor and A&M have had more success in state the past 3 or 4 years.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #1718
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Interesting. Bruce Weber may be headed back to Carbondale.

http://m.thesouthern.com/news/local/...871e3ce6c.html
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #1719
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Interesting. Bruce Weber may be headed back to Carbondale.

http://m.thesouthern.com/news/local/...871e3ce6c.html

Think that would be a nice fit for Weber.

Saw that Frank Martin is the leading candidate for the South Carolina job. Would be interesting to see him in the SEC. His interviews and sideline demeanor are always entertaining, if somewhat frightening.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1720
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Think that would be a nice fit for Weber.

Saw that Frank Martin is the leading candidate for the South Carolina job. Would be interesting to see him in the SEC. His interviews and sideline demeanor are always entertaining, if somewhat frightening.

Frank Martin wants to go to the SEC because he doesn't want to miss out on those easy wins against Missouri.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #1721
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Why would he go from K-State to South Carolina? Seems like a lateral step: meh Big XII program that he knows and is building vs meh SEC program

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #1722
DataKing
Pro Rookie

It would be a lot closer to his recruiting base...but personally I hope he stays in the Big XII. He is so damn much fun to watch during a game..
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #1723
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Why would he go from K-State to South Carolina? Seems like a lateral step: meh Big XII program that he knows and is building vs meh SEC program

SI

The rumor around KC is that Frank Martin is currently unhappy with the KSU Athletic Director (possibly because of the Samuels' situation). I know last year he was very interested in the Miami job simply because he's from the area. I'm guessing the South Carolina job is likely just him working the system to get what he wants from the KSU AD.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #1724
Logan
Head Coach

I'm telling you right now, if this year's "Big XII basketball coach to the SEC" thread plays out like last year's, I'll die a happy man.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1725
MJ4H
Coordinator

lol
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1726
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm telling you right now, if this year's "Big XII basketball coach to the SEC" thread plays out like last year's, I'll die a happy man.

We'd need someone to play the role of KSUBBF, lol.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #1727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really excited about the Weber firing from a recruiting perspective. Jabari Parker, the #1 player in the 2013 class, is pretty irritated about the Weber firing and has opened back up his recruitment (per KFNS in St. Louis). The assistant coach at his school is a former Mizzou player. It appears a visit to Mizzou will happen soon.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #1728
hoopsguy
General Manager

Illinois was far from a leader on Parker - they were in the mix under Weber and supposedly remain in the mix post-Weber based on article posted at ESPN last week.

Top recruit Parker still considering Illini - Chicago High School Blog - ESPN Chicago

Realistically, there isn't a whole lot to comment on around Illini until they get a new coach in place. Then they can start figuring out where they sit with recruits. But the idea that Parker was locked into Illini/Weber, to the point that he is now re-opening his recruitment, isn't close to what I've seen reported anywhere except post #1727 in this thread.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #1729
rjolley
College Starter

I remember reading that Parker would consider dropping Illinois from his list if Weber was fired. It could have been this article. I didn't read it at the time: Simeon's Jabari Parker keeping eye on Illinois coaching situation - ESPN Chicago

Last edited by rjolley : 03-20-2012 at 04:06 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #1730
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Parker and Romar are going to be a match
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #1731
MrBug708
Head Coach

With his dad being fired, CMU's Trey Ziegler has declared his intent to transfer. I would say that Pitt and UCLA would be his logical first choice destinations, but he should be a pretty in-demand kid at most schools.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1732
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Really excited about the Weber firing from a recruiting perspective. Jabari Parker, the #1 player in the 2013 class, is pretty irritated about the Weber firing and has opened back up his recruitment (per KFNS in St. Louis). The assistant coach at his school is a former Mizzou player. It appears a visit to Mizzou will happen soon.

Maybe he should visit Norfolk State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Hope so!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #1733
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
There was some talk earlier in the recruiting process that Romar's friendship with Sonny Parker had the UW in a good position, but lately I'm not seeing as much indication that the Huskies are one of his leaders. Seems like Romar is more likely to land Aaron Gordon & Jabari Bird as his marquee guys in the 2013 class (which would be awesome). If he can somehow land Parker too/in place of Bird, Husky fans would be delirious with joy.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #1734
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching the Huskies run through the NIT is really pissing me off. If they played this inspired through the season we would be in the NCAA, and maybe still alive.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #1735
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shaka Smart turned down Illinois.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #1736
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Shaka Smart turned down Illinois.

Interesting. Is it a Chris Petersen type situation, where he just loves to stay at the lower level school, or is he holding out for a premium premium job? Cuz Illinois is a pretty well-regarded spot, I would think. If he turned that down for the latter reasons, then he's only going to leave VCU for a Kentucky/UNC/Duke type job.

Haha maybe he's waiting to see if Howland holds onto his job at UCLA after next season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #1737
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Crap. I posted in the tournament thread that Leonard Hamilton is pushing hard for the Illinois job. This won't help FSU.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #1738
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting. Is it a Chris Petersen type situation, where he just loves to stay at the lower level school, or is he holding out for a premium premium job? Cuz Illinois is a pretty well-regarded spot, I would think. If he turned that down for the latter reasons, then he's only going to leave VCU for a Kentucky/UNC/Duke type job.

Haha maybe he's waiting to see if Howland holds onto his job at UCLA after next season.

These guys probably are too confident and not cautious enough to think like this but I'd be thinking about job security too. Peterson and Smart can have a mediocre 5-year stretch and bounce back at their current jobs. But if Peterson went to Notre Dame or some big program, he'd probably be fired after 3 years if he couldn't get past 7-5, and then he'd be lucky to match even his Boise St. salary anywhere else. Illinois would probably be somewhat less demanding, but you better have huge success pretty quickly or you'll be starting over in the MEAC or something with a lower salary. I can definitely see the appeal of being a king of a town you like and not risk it all for a modest raise.

Last edited by molson : 03-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #1739
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Crap. I posted in the tournament thread that Leonard Hamilton is pushing hard for the Illinois job. This won't help FSU.

I'd hate to see that. Come on ACC, give us a legit 3rd consistent team (syracuse doesn't f'ing count). This one even gets wins over Duke and UNC with reasonable consistency.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #1740
spleen1015
Coordinator

I like having Bunny Colvin in the ACC!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #1741
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'd hate to see that. Come on ACC, give us a legit 3rd consistent team (syracuse doesn't f'ing count). This one even gets wins over Duke and UNC with reasonable consistency.

Having gone from Tallahassee to Lexington, the basketball/football analogies are pretty apt. FSU doesn't care enough about basketball to put its money where its mouth is, and there was a lot of talk about how the Tucker Center is probably at the bottom of the ACC list of arenas. The football program doesn't typically host recruits for basketball games because it's not a selling point. When we get a decent coach, he either wants job security for life or he goes where he is more appreciated and the program means more to the school.

Same for Kentucky football. There's a reason why they stick with guys like Joker Phillips - I think the football program is 11th in the SEC in budget.

You get what you pay for.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-21-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1742
Ksyrup

Just saw this, though - which is opposite of the Tribune story last night.

Report: Leonard Hamilton plans to stay at FSU

1:58 p.m. EST, March 21, 2012|By Coley Harvey, Orlando Sentinel

TALLAHASSEE — Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton is comfortable at FSU and has no interest in the coaching vacancy at Illinois, according to a Wednesday morning report.

ESPN.com cited an unnamed source with "direct knowledge of (Hamilton's) plans" as having said the coach wants to stay with the Seminoles and continue to build up what he believes will be a better team in 2012-13.

Of course, it could be that Illinois told him they weren't interested, so he's saving face.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #1743
hoopsguy
General Manager

When the Illini hired their new football coach a couple of months ago there was some furor about not getting a minority coach, since there has not been one for either the football or basketball program. Thus there was a lot of speculation with the early candidates for basketball around black coaches.

Specific to Hamilton, what I've heard said - not sure if it is strictly fan opinion or if it represents any kind of insider information - is that the guy is too old. Same age now as when Lou Henson stepped down from running the Illini program.

Disappointing to not get Smart; it seems as if there were an awful lot of eggs in that basket. I've heard Buzz Williams (unhappy with administration at Marquette?) and Anthony Grant mentioned quite a bit over the past couple of weeks as the next candidates if/when Smart didn't come to fruition.

I think there are quite a few good candidates out there, but in my heart I had hoped it would either be Smart or Brad Stevens. It doesn't sound like there have even been conversations with Stevens, which seems odd. I don't think he can count on the Indiana job opening in the next couple of years like he might have planned ...
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #1744
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
When the Illini hired their new football coach a couple of months ago there was some furor about not getting a minority coach, since there has not been one for either the football or basketball program. Thus there was a lot of speculation with the early candidates for basketball around black coaches.

Specific to Hamilton, what I've heard said - not sure if it is strictly fan opinion or if it represents any kind of insider information - is that the guy is too old. Same age now as when Lou Henson stepped down from running the Illini program.

Disappointing to not get Smart; it seems as if there were an awful lot of eggs in that basket. I've heard Buzz Williams (unhappy with administration at Marquette?) and Anthony Grant mentioned quite a bit over the past couple of weeks as the next candidates if/when Smart didn't come to fruition.

I think there are quite a few good candidates out there, but in my heart I had hoped it would either be Smart or Brad Stevens. It doesn't sound like there have even been conversations with Stevens, which seems odd. I don't think he can count on the Indiana job opening in the next couple of years like he might have planned ...

Maybe the no Stevens talk is about him being white? If the minority thing has been such a big deal at Illinois...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #1745
spleen1015
Coordinator

Stevens like Smart has a good thing going. He doesn't leave Butler for money, IMO. I think his reasons for staying are the same as Smart's.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #1746
wade moore
lolzcat

Happy to see that it appears Smart is staying. Will enjoy watching him for at least another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #1747
MrBug708
Head Coach

Smart also has something like 11 of 12 guys returning next year. There might also be some bigger profile jobs opening by next year
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #1748
cartman
Death Herald

Sounds like J'Covan Brown is going to test the NBA waters. If he ends up going pro, that will leave no Juniors or Seniors on the team.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #1749
Atocep
Coordinator

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's claim that he would graduate from Kentucky appears to be short-lived. Chad Ford's sources are telling him he'll announce he's going pro after the season ends.

And DeTox, what's the story on the Smotrycz transfer? Seemed to come out of nowhere.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #1750
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's claim that he would graduate from Kentucky appears to be short-lived. Chad Ford's sources are telling him he'll announce he's going pro after the season ends.

And DeTox, what's the story on the Smotrycz transfer? Seemed to come out of nowhere.

Just went and checked and any talk from the WolverineNation reports is part of the Insider info so no clue. There is talk of Burke looking to go pro from what I hear, but again I have no real info. This team could come back and be a force, but it looks like people are opting out.

Last edited by Matthean : 03-22-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote