Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #17401
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This story really was not on my radar before tbh. I just read it. I am nauseous.I am speechless.

Mine neither and like you, got nauseous reading that. But not meaning to cast a blanket statement, I had assumed that stuff like this happened all of the time in girls gymnastics (not to this extent, tbh) over the decades and it had been kept quiet by those with invested interests and of course, fear of reprisals by the victims.

It brings to mind the cost of glory that pervasive drug use in football et al, sexual abuse in gymnastics, cte in football, doping in track and cycling, etc. that we are willing to have them sacrifice their well-being for the sake of entertaining us? I hope more people are willing to step forward and say the emperor has no clothes.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #17402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Hmmmm, I could see this as evidence for both viewpoints, since A) that's a lot of hit songs! and B) Most of those songs are half nonsense, lyrically.

I figured -- given his success with largely nonsense -- that if it were a quick process he'd have had more hits.

(see? there WAS a certain logic there ... right or wrong )
Old 01-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #17403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Admittedly I was not really allowed to watch the Jeffersons growing up. I mean I saw it some, but my parents kind of thought it was too adult. Anyways how did George go from the slums of Queens to a deluxe apartment in the sky, merely by dry cleaning? I mean I'm sure there's money in dry cleaning, but it's not like he invented dry cleaning. Was he in fact laundering something other than clothes? Just seems odd that you'd be able to make that much money even if you were a successful dry cleaner

I believe it was the multiplying effect of (eventually) having several stores open. That's how he moved up, one store became two, became three, etc.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #17404
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Admittedly I was not really allowed to watch the Jeffersons growing up. I mean I saw it some, but my parents kind of thought it was too adult. Anyways how did George go from the slums of Queens to a deluxe apartment in the sky, merely by dry cleaning? I mean I'm sure there's money in dry cleaning, but it's not like he invented dry cleaning. Was he in fact laundering something other than clothes? Just seems odd that you'd be able to make that much money even if you were a successful dry cleaner

I was curious about this too, and wikipedia had oddly-specific breakdown, with numbers and everything:

"The third episode of All in the Family explained how George Jefferson started his dry-cleaning business. George Jefferson's son Lionel explains that the family used a $3,200 (around $19337.00, adjusted for current inflation) insurance settlement from a car accident to start Jefferson's Cleaners. Season one, episode nine (3/15/75) indicates it was a $5,000 ($22,658.89 in 2016) whiplash settlement from the City of New York. A Christmas flashback episode, which featured Sherman Hemsley playing his character's father, explained how he got the idea to open a dry cleaning business as a child after his father told him that dry cleaning was expensive.

This episode also showed how George had been involved in money-making schemes since childhood, with him working as a shoe-shine boy and paying a schoolmate to push people into mud puddles, forcing them to get their shoes shined. He started his opening his business in 1968 in Queens, earned enough money for three years to move into the suburbs of a working-class neighborhood of Queens in 1971. Over the two years George made enough money to start a chain of dry cleaning stores with locations in Manhattan as well as Queens. With that, George and Louise have enough money to move on up from Queens to Manhattan and left Queens in style with a limousine in an episode in All in the Family season 5 to a deluxe penthouse apartment and live the life of luxury."

Last edited by molson : 01-17-2018 at 10:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #17405
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I was curious about this too, and wikipedia had oddly-specific breakdown, with numbers and everything:

"The third episode of All in the Family explained how George Jefferson started his dry-cleaning business. George Jefferson's son Lionel explains that the family used a $3,200 (around $19337.00, adjusted for current inflation) insurance settlement from a car accident to start Jefferson's Cleaners. Season one, episode nine (3/15/75) indicates it was a $5,000 ($22,658.89 in 2016) whiplash settlement from the City of New York. A Christmas flashback episode, which featured Sherman Hemsley playing his character's father, explained how he got the idea to open a dry cleaning business as a child after his father told him that dry cleaning was expensive.

This episode also showed how George had been involved in money-making schemes since childhood, with him working as a shoe-shine boy and paying a schoolmate to push people into mud puddles, forcing them to get their shoes shined. He started his opening his business in 1968 in Queens, earned enough money for three years to move into the suburbs of a working-class neighborhood of Queens in 1971. Over the two years George made enough money to start a chain of dry cleaning stores with locations in Manhattan as well as Queens. With that, George and Louise have enough money to move on up from Queens to Manhattan and left Queens in style with a limousine in an episode in All in the Family season 5 to a deluxe penthouse apartment and live the life of luxury."

The only episode I remember about it was one where there were flashbacks to when he first opened and talking to the first dollar he ever made. And how to this day (well, that episode) the lady that gave him that dollar, he gives her free laundry service all the time.

I actually remember watching that episode because I was originally watching the movie with Emilio Estivez called Nightmares I think? And in that part of the movie (short stories really), Emilio breaks into an arcade to beat a video game and that last level zaps him into the video game. That freaked the hell out of me so I left the room and went to another to watch Jeffersons.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 AM   #17406
Suicane75
Coordinator

WTF is a dislocated tooth?

WTF do people on Amazon respond to questions posed about a product with "I don't know". DON'T ANSWER IF YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU DICKHEADS.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #17407
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It turns out sobriety is fucking boring.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #17408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Best I can remember, I got fairly bored with being drunk too.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #17409
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I'm three beers in (my limit) on my day off. Which means I'm inebriated enough to enjoy it, while still close enough to sobriety to remember how that feels.

Point? Boring isn't defined by your BAC, but how much you enjoy living in the present.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #17410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Point? Boring isn't defined by your BAC, but how much you enjoy living in the present.

That certainly goes a long way toward explaining why I'm often fucked regardless of my BAC
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #17411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That means I am also inebriated enough to re-read what I posted and still drunk enough to hit Submit after I type out my new post here.

Y'all are lucky. It's philosophical Chief.

Looking at the above post, I perceive myself to be a bit lectury. But those of you who follow me in social media know I do that on occasion.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #17412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That certainly goes a long way toward explaining why I'm often fucked regardless of my BAC

Lol... right on.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #17413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Looking at the above post, I perceive myself to be a bit lectury.

eh, fwiw, I took the tone as more like "3 beers wisdom" than lectury.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #17414
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

That's the rub, ain't it?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #17415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's the rub, ain't it?

On the other hand, if that wasn't the case then I doubt the video game industry or the internet would even be around today.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #17416
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks that Ohio roads

Looks at fast-food receipt with no sales tax

Looks at Ohio roads again

Shakes head
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #17417
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Looks that Ohio roads

Looks at fast-food receipt with no sales tax

Looks at Ohio roads again

Shakes head

Totally agree. I still don't understand why they don't collect income tax on carry out.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #17418
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks at Michigan roads

Looks at fast-food receipt with WITH sales tax

Looks at Michigan roads again

Shakes head
Old 01-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #17419
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

you know you are getting old when you have reasons to celebrate the weirdest things.

FOr the first time in over a month I have solid poop again.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #17420
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm right there with ya bro.

Science people, I need you to school me on something. Why is it so hard to filter ocean water? Of all the scientific marvels we've achieved, shouldn't this be near the top of the list of things we need to do?
Old 01-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #17421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I'm right there with ya bro.

Science people, I need you to school me on something. Why is it so hard to filter ocean water? Of all the scientific marvels we've achieved, shouldn't this be near the top of the list of things we need to do?

It doesn't seem so much to be "hard" as it is "expensive".

Cost of a gallon from desalination is roughly 10x to 20x the cost of the same gallon taken from a river or aquifier. It's the amount of energy required to complete the process that accounts for a lot (most?) of that difference.

And that doesn't count the cost of building the plants themselves ($500m & up for plants of any real size, like to be meaningful to a city of 300,000)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-19-2018 at 03:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #17422
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
It doesn't seem so much to be "hard" as it is "expensive".

Cost of a gallon from desalination is roughly 10x to 20x the cost of the same gallon taken from a river or aquifier. It's the amount of energy required to complete the process that accounts for a lot (most?) of that difference.

And that doesn't count the cost of building the plants themselves ($500m & up for plants of any real size, like to be meaningful to a city of 300,000)

You use reverse osmosis membranes which require small amounts of water pushed through at high pressure to filter out the salt and contaminants. The membranes need to be replaced every so often, but there are means to flush the membranes and make them last longer.

Edit: The high pressure requires large HP motors to drive the pumps. That causes high amp draw, etc.

Last edited by Warhammer : 01-19-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #17423
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's also probably worth mentioning that fossil/nuclear power plants still use steam to drive their turbines and generate electricity, meaning that any power used to desalinize sea water could involve boiling away just as much (or more?) fresh water somewhere else.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #17424
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So if I ever get arrested for having sex with a prostitute, can I argue that I was only buying her silence?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #17425
Suicane75
Coordinator

I bought a couple of adult magazines for myself for Christmas, just cause I thought it'd be nice to have actual physical material around, and I was shocked by how antiquated and unchanged they were from the last time I owned any (15 years or so). Same phone ads, same sex doll adds, same video ads. It was as if time has stood still.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #17426
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Lawyers: Firing squad must be option for condemned killer

I'm anti-death penalty. But I do wonder how much money was spent on the failed execution? It's not that hard to kill someone. Humans have been dying just fine on their own for hundreds of thousands of years. Only government bureaucracy could screw up this bad.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #17427
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

less puke tho
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #17428
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Lawyers: Firing squad must be option for condemned killer

I'm anti-death penalty. But I do wonder how much money was spent on the failed execution? It's not that hard to kill someone. Humans have been dying just fine on their own for hundreds of thousands of years. Only government bureaucracy could screw up this bad.

Maybe just make them eat McDonald's until their body shuts down.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #17429
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My dentist put me on an every-three-months teeth cleaning schedule, and I honestly don't know if I can take it. That shit is torture.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #17430
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Or maybe you're just an anti-dentite!
Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #17431
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hate it when a package gets delayed.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #17432
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man I can't believe that Dundee is not actually a real movie:-(
Old 01-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #17433
Critch
lolzcat

Not well known enough here for a "hardly knew you" thread but Mark E Smith, lead singer, founder and only constant member of English post-punk band The Fall died yesterday.

He'd been ill for a while, canceled a US tour and had been appearing onstage in the UK in a wheelchair (looking not unlike Stephen Hawking), but still his death was a surprise.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #17434
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

'El Chapo' promises not to kill any jurors, lawyer says

Good for him
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #17435
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

"But no promises about the families."
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #17436
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd love to see the Crock Pot management group text. People have gotta be flipping the eff out.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #17437
Critch
lolzcat

My internet cut out last night, checked the router and one of my cats had thrown up into it. Apparently routers are not cat sick resistant.

So an evening without the internet. No streaming tv, no newsgroups, no google streetview (I love google streetview).

It was hell.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #17438
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm not a tennis guy, but I think we're all underplaying the greatness of Roger Federer.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #17439
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm not a tennis guy, but I think we're all underplaying the greatness of Roger Federer.

Sure, but his style is unwatchable, as oppose to someone like Nadal. Put a robot in place of Federer and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #17440
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Sure, but his style is unwatchable, as oppose to someone like Nadal. Put a robot in place of Federer and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Couldn't disagree more actually.

In a day where mens tennis is all about the short lived power and serve, aces galore blah blah. I loathe hardcourt tennis for the most part

Freaks like Dr. Ivo and Isner who have more leverage than athletics bore me.

Fed is a throwback who can dictate tempo and the pace of the point unlike most. Slices, drop shots, topspin, etc. he mixes it up in a way that's not appreciated as it should be.

Nadal more relies on his fitness and endurance to outlast. Hes short on time with that style of play.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #17441
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I see Cleveland is deciding to be a LITTLE less embarassing. GOod for you Cleveland.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #17442
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Couldn't disagree more actually.

In a day where mens tennis is all about the short lived power and serve, aces galore blah blah. I loathe hardcourt tennis for the most part

Freaks like Dr. Ivo and Isner who have more leverage than athletics bore me.

Fed is a throwback who can dictate tempo and the pace of the point unlike most. Slices, drop shots, topspin, etc. he mixes it up in a way that's not appreciated as it should be.

Nadal more relies on his fitness and endurance to outlast. Hes short on time with that style of play.

I understand, he certainly is not as extreme as some of the other gunners. I perceive he has always been a power server, a tennis style I never enjoyed at all.

Good point about Nadal's reliance and I agree his time will run out but like Agassi, have been a joy to watch.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #17443
QuikSand
lolzcat

I still have 42 as a sort of go-to number. It's the answer. When I had to create a 6-numeral password for my new iPad, I quickly just appended -42 to my old 4-digit one. It was instinctive. It's the answer.

Thanks, Douglas Adams.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #17444
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yay contractor screw ups.

Construction company emailed us today. Told us the plumber messed up. Last house of this model he did had a custom shower (12" longer with a built in seat), and he inadvertently installed the plumbing to that specification on ours. Did we want to keep that (they have to eat the cost), or have them change it back?

Gee. Tough one there. Give that plumber a beer.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #17445
PilotMan
Head Coach

Every person in my house is sick. We sound like a house of emphysema riddled chain smokers.

Like Steam?

Old 01-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #17446
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Cincinnati Chili is fantastic.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #17447
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Cincinnati Chili is fantastic.

I'm gonna forever question your decision making abilities now.

Like Steam?

Old 01-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #17448
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm gonna forever question your decision making abilities now.

Are you only starting now?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #17449
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Are you only starting now?

I think some of us started a long time ago. especially after your biased football rants with the last straw being the ludicrous opinion that Grigson wasn't the worst GM in recent memory.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:42 PM   #17450
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Hate the guy all you want but he went 49-31 during his tenure with one of the most revamped rosters in the league in that period. He definitely had his flaws but Grigson was far from the worst GM.