Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #17051
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I hate the car insurance rates in Michigan
Old 09-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #17052
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

When do you just give up on a pair of shoes? Bought an 11 sized Reebok because that's what I've always worn in reebok. They felt a little tight. I figured I would "break them in". Well kind of lost track of time and have worn them uncomfortably once or twice a week but haven't really broke in in a few months. Just give up and eat the $60? Think they would take them back?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #17053
Critch
lolzcat

cut off your toes.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #17054
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
When do you just give up on a pair of shoes? Bought an 11 sized Reebok because that's what I've always worn in reebok. They felt a little tight. I figured I would "break them in". Well kind of lost track of time and have worn them uncomfortably once or twice a week but haven't really broke in in a few months. Just give up and eat the $60? Think they would take them back?

It depends on where you got them but with receipt, etc it's worth a shot. I had some Nike Free trainers that were murdering my Achilles and they let me exchange them. Worth a call
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #17055
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It never ceases to amaze me that companies like Google and Microsoft make products that are intended to work together but rarely do. The only browser that doesn't work with my Creator's Update of Windows 10 is Edge. It's constantly in a state of disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds. I've seen some workarounds, but isn't that Microsoft's job? Did nobody do anything that even slightly resemble user testing? How does something like that slip through so that there are pages of search results for fixes for each version of Windows 10 not working with Edge?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #17056
Critch
lolzcat

The brother of my great great grandfather emigrated to the US with his family in 1897, settling in upstate New York. I've had occasional emails from one of his descendants over the last couple of years, an older guy who's interested in the family genealogy. After the last round of emails, I was inspired to hit the Scottish People genealogy website (an official government run thing) and poke around for old details. I spoke to my sister about it by IM this morning. She's still lives near my hometown (just outside Glasgow, Scotland), and she mentioned she had an envelope full of family history documents that she's taken from our father's house when they were clearing it.

She very kindly crawled around her garage to find the envelope, then photographed the docs with her phone (what kind of philistine doesnt have a scanner?!) and sent them to me this afternoon.

One of the things in the collection is a photograph of an old relative, the brother of my great great great grandfather, Archibald Ritchie, born 1813 died 1879. I'd guess he looks about mid-40 to 50 in the pic, so probably taken roundabout 1860. And the thing is, he looks like me. I can see it, my sister mentioned it and my wife said "that's what you would look like if you were into historical reenactment". 150 years and 5 generations, but he still looks like a close relative. And that's pretty cool, if you ask me.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #17057
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I just saw a dead body on my way to the grocery store. There was police tape, and a gurney and a sheet and a medical examiner's van and everything. It was on the sidewalk directly in front of a funeral home. Convenient.

Of course, I wandered right through the police tape, 'cuz when's the last time that yellow caution tape was actually real police tape?!? I thought someone was marking off their yardwork or whatever. TOOT TOOT, DIPSHIT COMING THROUGH! CLEAR THE WAY, OFFICER!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #17058
Edward64
Head Coach

So I guess Home - Sports News, Scores, Schedules, and Videos | FOX Sports is mostly video commentary?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #17059
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

It is. Almost all their writers were fired or quit.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #17060
Easy Mac

Getting old is great. Literally walking from the door to the car, not carrying anything, and I feel a pain in my back. Just out of nowhere, like someone stuck me in the back and just kept applying pressure. Still hurts. Its definitely muscular in nature and right near a trouble spot, but I'd prefer it happen for a reason like lifting a car or saving a child from a burning building. Not from walking 10 feet.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #17061
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

June story on the shift in focus for Fox Sports. It's basically worthless now.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...deo/429257001/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-11-2017 at 11:26 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #17062
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There was a time, a decade or more ago, that I basically lived on ESPN.com. I haven't visited that site (or any other sports news site) in a good 4 or 5 years probably, other than the odd visit trying to track down an old box score, article, or something along those lines. I think the last time I regularly visited a site for one purpose was to read Stewart Mandel's weekly post-weekend college football article. Once he left SI or got canned, I stopped reading anything on any site.

I get all the sports info I need from Twitter and my phone apps, and I get it much quicker than going to a website filled with useless, self-promoting garbage. Now it looks like these sites are turning into YouTube for sports.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #17063
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watched the teaser for "The Disaster Artist" like 15 times today. Cannot wait.

Me neither

Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #17064
Ksyrup

Listening to the latest Body Count album on the way to work, and it amazes me the split personality celebrity/public life Ice T has been able to craft for himself. Not many celebs are able to navigate between actor, pitchman, and lead vocalist of a band that produces profanity-laced metal. Gilbert Gottfried got fired as the voice of a duck for a "too soon" tsunami joke. Ice T is throwing F bombs every other word on his albums (and it's glorious!).

I get that he has his rap background that people know and accept, but this is all current stuff. I guess Ice Cube is similar, given his background and the fact that he's now a Disney movie man, but I don't know... is he currently recording Rated R/controversial music, or are those days gone?

Just a thought I had while trancing out on the 6am hour drive to the office...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #17065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I guess Ice Cube is similar, given his background and the fact that he's now a Disney movie man, but I don't know... is he currently recording Rated R/controversial music, or are those days gone?

Cube's last album was seven years ago.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #17066
Suicane75
Coordinator

WeatherUnderground was my go to site for weather. One page, current conditions/radar/10 day forecast, didn't take half an hour to load. Clear, concise, to the point. Everything I needed right there.

And then they go an change the layout, for the much much much worse.

Why can't people just leave well enough alone?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #17067
Suicane75
Coordinator

Josh Duhamel and Fergie are getting separated. I've waited 8 long years, but finally, the sexiest man alive is back on the market.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #17068
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I just love a good random internet outtage, don't you?

Can't work, can't app game (due to data demands), can't Xbox thanks to stupid ass cloud saves

Gonna be a productive f'n day around here
Old 09-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #17069
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
the sexiest man alive is back on the market.

I hate to tell you, but Fergie isn't actually a man...
Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #17070
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Costco jar of chocolates of the world is my new favorite way to get fat.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #17071
Suicane75
Coordinator

Out of the blue I can't get most of the sports channels and a lot of basic channels I watch on Comcast, and I can't watch through the app. Getting "subscription upgrade" notifications. This is gonna be a fun fucking weekend.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #17072
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Bad News everyone, it looks like the world is going to end in six days

Is the end of the world on September 23 and what's David Meade's theory about the Great American solar eclipse and Planet X?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #17073
Ksyrup

The PC Matic guy is kinda weird.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #17074
Suicane75
Coordinator

I have never, ever, been one whose dreams were influenced by outside things. Most of my dreams are mundane and/or completely much ado about nothing.

I started binge watching The Walking Dead last week and have now had 4 very long drawn out dreams involving leading people, or being led by people, out of danger. Nothing frightening mind you, and very little in the way of zombie activity, but when I wake up I know I've just had a dream influenced by the show.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #17075
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So we took our car to some local notary to have it registered in Pennsylvania. This was over a month ago and I still have not received a formal registration for my car. Is this notary bitch just holding on to our money until the last possible date where she has to file by? I paid like $800 in sales tax and I would really like to be able to Uber in that car.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #17076
Easy Mac

Hayden Christensen and Rachel Bilson are getting separated. I've waited 10 long years, but finally, the sexiest woman alive is back on the market.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #17077
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Given the combination of weather, geological, and political events in the past few weeks, this is the first time I'm inclined to believe one of these guys.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #17078
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I am headed to India in a couple weeks for business. Who's up for 24+ hours in the air?!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #17079
Easy Mac

Are you paying for my ticket.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #17080
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I am headed to India in a couple weeks for business. Who's up for 24+ hours in the air?!

It's the 24 hours on the toilet that'll get ya.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #17081
Ksyrup

I know we were spoiled with a pretty mild summer, but this mid-upper 80s and humid weather in late September is BS. I had already moved on from summer.

My electric bill for mid-August to mid-September was $84. $84!!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-20-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #17082
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Where exactly do you live where mid-upper 80s and humid weather in late September is something surprising and/or undesirable?
Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #17083
Ksyrup

Kentucky. Average temp in Lexington this time of year is 76 with little humidity. We're in the middle of a 7-to-10 day stretch of temps that are average or above-average for the peak of summer. And it sucks. I enjoy having the windows open, 65-75, no humidity, and abundant sunshine.

Don't get me wrong - by late January I'll be wishing I could complain about hot temps, but I hate hot humid weather and I've gotten quite used to the great temps the past several weeks.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #17084
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So, as some of you know, I work as a restaurant manager. Every now and then we get promotional things from companies we work with. Coke, Direct TV, local breweries, etc. So while it doesn't happrn that often, it does happen.

Yesterday we received a box (delivered by Fed Ex) that had on the box bottom a sticker promoting the new CBS show Me, Myself and Irene. We look inside. They sent us... door stops. With more promo Me, Myself and Irene ads on it.

Door stops.

I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like this approach. I mean, we can put a big promotional Coke bottle picture our wall. We can hang a Sunday Ticket promo above the entrance to the bar. There is nowhere in the public area of the restaurant where we are likely to have consistent need for a door stop. And even if we did, who looks down at a door stop? Who would notice the advertising on a door stop and say, "Oh yea I wanted to watch that show. I should see when it's on."

And they sent us like 7 or 8 of them.

It's possible they think we might show it on TV in the restaurant, I suppose, but if so, unfortunately for them, we're only supposed to show sports or major events (like Presidential speeches).

Pretty curious marketing ploy which seems unlilely to produce results worth the time and effort.

But hey at least we have some new door stops.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #17085
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think there needs to be a name for one of my favorite things.

Near my college there was a big sign for "DTS Trucking Services." My friends and I speculated that you'd call and ask what the D stood for, and they'd say "it's for D-T-S." Circular logic, and all that.

I still text my college friend every time one of these comes up. Today it was a solicitation email from a company called CPS Payment Services. I love it.

What could this be called? Maybe the word "circular" could be embedded somehow. Like a Circunym?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #17086
Radii
Head Coach

Recursive acronym - Wikipedia

Outside of all the software examples are some that are more like what you're talking about, for example:

BWIA — BWIA West Indies Airways (formerly British West Indian Airways)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #17087
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Pretty curious marketing ploy which seems unlilely to produce results worth the time and effort.

But hey at least we have some new door stops.

I'm amused at the thought that their marketing ploy was so terrible that you didn't even recall the name of the show correctly.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #17088
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Shit, I absolutely loved GEB but don't recall that. It's been a long time. Maybe due for a re-read.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #17089
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I'm amused at the thought that their marketing ploy was so terrible that you didn't even recall the name of the show correctly.

Lol... you're right. I fell into using the Jim Carrey movie name.

Marketing fail.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #17090
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So we took our car to some local notary to have it registered in Pennsylvania. This was over a month ago and I still have not received a formal registration for my car. Is this notary bitch just holding on to our money until the last possible date where she has to file by? I paid like $800 in sales tax and I would really like to be able to Uber in that car.
This phrase reminds of the episode of The League with the "cu-notary".
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #17091
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It may not be her fault after all. But somehow the papers are screwed up. Odd thing was that she gave me temporary tags for 4 months, which kinda led me believe it may just be a cash flow scheme on her part.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #17092
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Wendy's has a Giant Jr Bacon Cheeseburger. It's the Jr with 2 patties. Why? Isn't the point of Jr to have a smaller burger?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #17093
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Wendy's has a Giant Jr Bacon Cheeseburger. It's the Jr with 2 patties. Why? Isn't the point of Jr to have a smaller burger?

I think the patties are actually smaller than the usual single patty.

So it's two ... but more like one.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #17094
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

So get a regular bacon cheeseburger. I guess people will lie to themselves in some pretty hysterical ways.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #17095
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Son of Baconator is all the burger anyone ever needs.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #17096
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So get a regular bacon cheeseburger. I guess people will lie to themselves in some pretty hysterical ways.

This is actually a very intentional thing

http://www.brandeating.com/2017/08/w...eseburger.html

As the article points out "Interestingly, Wendy's has never offered a regular "Bacon Cheeseburger" although you can have bacon added to any of their burgers. Then again, they don't serve a regular-sized version of any of their other Jr. burgers either (except for the Jr.Cheeseburger Deluxe, which is a smaller version of the Dave's Single)"
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #17097
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Less bun.
Less calories and carbs.

I mean a cheeseburger aint gonna be healthy but you can minimize damage i suppose
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #17098
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I haven't worked at Wendy's in almost 17 years, but I doubt the patty sizes have changed much. Jr patties were 2oz and single patties were 4oz...so you're getting twice as much meat as a regular JBC, and just as much as if you put bacon on a single.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #17099
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Woman at my office just sent an office-wide email with the subject line "Donuts, the hot sign is on . . ."

But she was NOT announcing donuts in the breakroom, but instead her daughter's Krispy Kreme fundraiser.

Not cool.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #17100
ColtCrazy
College Starter

So I get to school to find out our chiller is down and has been down all day with temps outside around 90. I am wondering if children can spontaneously combust.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote