Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #1651
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yes, I have seen a guy with a rating of 1. It was a GK playing out of position.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 AM   #1652
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Random question - does anyone else 2 seperate replies in the "news" screen when you reply to a player ? I had a player who wanted first team action, I told him that I picked the team, and I get 2 responses- one saying he understands and accepts that he was a bit hasty, and a second saying that he wants a transfer.
Are you using the latest patch? - if you are can you email me the titles of all the news items involved (ie. the one you responded to and the two which appeared) and I'll try and work out whats happened ...

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Marc

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 03-20-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #1653
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Are you using the latest patch? - if you are can you email me the titles of all the news items involved (ie. the one you responded to and the two which appeared) and I'll try and work out whats happened ...

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Marc

I upgraded to 6.0.2 Marc- I haven't upgraded since, but I'll try that. Its happened a few times when I reply (Ie, my reply shows up twice). Next time it happens, I'll take a screenshot and send it to you.

Btw, the single greatest thing about this thing is that its like crack. I bought Gal Civ II, Civ 4, and they're great games - but damnit, FM keeps me away from them.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #1654
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Got a screenshot - in this case, I replied to Jason Brown telling him he was a backup - and my message showed up twice. If he responds twice (which I'm fairly certain he will) - I'll give you a copy of that. Should I just email you the image ?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #1655
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - Brown replied twice, though in this case, his replies were identical.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:53 AM   #1656
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If you've got a save game before it occurred then that'd be great ([email protected] - zipped up please my account does have a limit on it unfortunately (many thanks to the chap who tried to email me a 2Gb file and enforced this )) - if not then screenies to the same addy.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #1657
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

What are the rules about replacing injured players on your national team? Normally I get a "So and So is injured and needs to be replaced" e-mail, but one of my goalkeepers got injured in the first game and was unavailable for the second game after my declaration of the team. I had no chance to replace him, and had to play with one keeper and my fingers crossed.

Scotland beat France 3-2 anyway, by the way...booya!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #1658
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Number of physios?

Is there any advantage to having more than one physio?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #1659
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Wierd,
noticed something else in the game - West Ham's no 1 keeper has made 22 starts - their no 2 keeper, Roy Carrol, has made 22 sub appearances- looking through the log, it looks like he's come in every game which is ... surreal. Its the same save game Marc, so I'll get that out to you.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #1660
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

Scotland beat France 3-2 anyway, by the way...booya!

This must be a bug. Scotland couldn't beat the French women's team...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #1661
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
This must be a bug. Scotland couldn't beat the French women's team...
'salright. We subsequently got pushed around by Serbia-Montenegro and missed qualifying for the World Cup as a result.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:14 AM   #1662
Blade6119
Coordinator

Just got proclaimed the greatest American coach ever after working my up to inter in series A and winning the quadruple(italian cup, super cup, series a, and champions league) to add on to all my dutch dominince...took the USA job, and a coach is on my staff i cant fire or see ratings for, but can have run teams and ask for roster. Is he good, should i trust him? Why cant i fire him(Thomas Rongen)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 AM   #1663
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Wierd,
noticed something else in the game - West Ham's no 1 keeper has made 22 starts - their no 2 keeper, Roy Carrol, has made 22 sub appearances- looking through the log, it looks like he's come in every game which is ... surreal. Its the same save game Marc, so I'll get that out to you.
Thanks - would be much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:52 AM   #1664
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wierd,

I saw that in my '05 game. When I looked at it closer, the starting GK had something about being restricted to playing 45 minutes.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:44 AM   #1665
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Restriction is usually with national teams. I have not seen that at the club level.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:05 AM   #1666
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Restriction is usually with national teams. I have not seen that at the club level.
Yeah thats only possible for national teams at the request of the club manager.

For a club team the only explanation I can really think of is:

(1) One of the players requiring a work-permit so is being played to keep that (damned unlikely for a keeper to be frank, because there are huge benefits to keeping a keeper consistently with regards to his confidence).
(2) One of the keepers has a niggling long term injury and is 'carrying' it ... thus he's aggravating it frequently but it isn't serious enough to actually keep him out for many matches (this can happen with keepers irl, but I've never seen it to the extent you're mentioning).
Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #1667
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Wierd,

I saw that in one of my games too. Celtic were substituting their keeper in almost every game, I think I mentioned it in a post a few pages back here.

The keeper they were bringing off was a youngster, the keeper they were bringing on was older and Polish (Boruc, the keeper they have at the moment). So I guess it could be work permit reasons.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #1668
3ric
College Starter

My turn to tell a story on how this game still can surprise me:
I'm playing Cambridge in League One, with two games remaining of the season we're in 18th place, and need to beat Aldershot (22nd place) to avoid being dragged down in the relegation battle. On the eve before the game, I'm stunned by a news item saying my star striker has issued a rallying cry to inspire the team to stave off the relegation threat. Very cool to see, and what's even better - in the actual game, that striker turned in his best performance by a mile, scoring four in our 6-1 rout of Aldershot. Just when I thought I've seen it all with FM...
Old 03-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #1669
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bump

WOW. I just had a CTD with FM!

Fortunately i had just finished loading my savegame so nothing was lost, but wow...this is a first. The game said that it generated an error file. I wasn't trying to do anything other than advance a day...loading up now and hoping my game isn't toast so i won't hafta use a backup save
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #1670
moriarty
College Starter

This has probably been brought up in another thread (possibly even this one) but I'm too lazy to search.

Anyways, I was watching the fox soccer channel the other day and they had a program called Road to Germany or something, where they talk about the teams in the world cup.

To my suprise, they simmed the first round games using WSM. Then the announcers went on to praise WSM, and they actually showed screen shots and everything (including holding up the box for the camara). Obviously Sega paid for the whole thing, as they mentioned Sega 10 times in the 5 minute segment. But overall I thought it was pretty cool US exposure for WSM. Maybe Sega is putting some money into the US market and we'll actually be able to find the next version in a store here.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #1671
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
This has probably been brought up in another thread (possibly even this one) but I'm too lazy to search.

Anyways, I was watching the fox soccer channel the other day and they had a program called Road to Germany or something, where they talk about the teams in the world cup.

To my suprise, they simmed the first round games using WSM. Then the announcers went on to praise WSM, and they actually showed screen shots and everything (including holding up the box for the camara). Obviously Sega paid for the whole thing, as they mentioned Sega 10 times in the 5 minute segment. But overall I thought it was pretty cool US exposure for WSM. Maybe Sega is putting some money into the US market and we'll actually be able to find the next version in a store here.

Road to Germany is, I believe a European-produced show and not US-produced. 90% of FSC's content is produced by Europe.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #1672
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Road to Germany is, I believe a European-produced show and not US-produced. 90% of FSC's content is produced by Europe.

Hmm... wonder if I have the right show then. The announcers definitely had American accents (at least I think they did), and if was a European show why werent' they advertising FM instead of WWSM?

Now you got me wondering though...

Edit ... check that, I think it was "Passport to Germany".

Last edited by moriarty : 04-15-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #1673
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
No, this is definitely a FSC-produced show. Max Bretos was one of the hosts along with Nick Webster, the same dudes that host Super Saturday.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #1674
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmm... wonder if I have the right show then. The announcers definitely had American accents (at least I think they did), and if was a European show why werent' they advertising FM instead of WWSM?

Now you got me wondering though...

Edit ... check that, I think it was "Passport to Germany".

Sure, it's possible that it was made by FSC. But typically the only original content they have is Fox Football Friday and FSW Report. Maybe this is different, though. You are right about WWSM instead of FM.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #1675
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

To my knowledge no money changed hands and it wasn't a 'bought' piece - they were supplied with the game (slightly customised for this purposes) to use as a tool on the show after they requested it having seen it used in a similar fashion elsewhere.

We semi-often do this sort of thing for European newspapers/television shows and I think its quite cool personally
Old 04-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #1676
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To my knowledge no money changed hands and it wasn't a 'bought' piece - they were supplied with the game (slightly customised for this purposes) to use as a tool on the show after they requested it having seen it used in a similar fashion elsewhere.

We semi-often do this sort of thing for European newspapers/television shows and I think its quite cool personally

I remember you guys doing the java CM World Cup game for either 98 or 2002, that was pretty neat
Old 04-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #1677
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I'm actually having some buggish occurrence with the game. I've got a couple of players complaining about lack of first team action. I don't have a problem with that as it occurs quite a bit (bbor calls me a player hog for a reason). However, in this case, the two players are currently on loan. I don't think it was meant to work that way.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #1678
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I remember you guys doing the java CM World Cup game for either 98 or 2002, that was pretty neat
Was originally done for Euro 2000 if I remember right (was part of my spontaneous urge to learn Java for no particular reason ).

We kept updating it and improving it until the 2D match engine came along with CM4 and at that point we retired it and the CM3 engine it ran upon.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-16-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #1679
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Was originally done for Euro 2000 if I remember right (was part of my spontaneous urge to learn Java for no particular reason ).

We kept updating it and improving it until the 2D match engine came along with CM4 and at that point we retired it and the CM3 engine it ran upon.

Didn't you guys also do a Java rugby game too? Anything else ever come of that?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #1680
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

That's awesome that you got that kind of publicity for free. One of the announcers was talking about how he was on a train in Manchester or something and saw the kid in front of him playing and he spent the entire train ride looking over the kid's shoulder watching him.

On the downside, I was kind of hoping Sega actually paid for it (as it would indicate they are somewhat serious about getting the product on the shelves here).
Old 04-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #1681
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Didn't you guys also do a Java rugby game too? Anything else ever come of that?
We wrote one yonks back at the request of a national newspaper here in England for one of the International Rugby tournaments. It was a fairly accurate simulation and the promotion went down well - BUT it was never planned to be turned into a full game or anything, not least because my knowledge of Rugby simply isn't good enough (I had a lot of assistance in the simulation from ex-pro Rugby players advising me on things).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-16-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #1682
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
Is there any advantage to having more than one physio?

I've always wondered this as well. I basically have more(when Im coaching better teams) who are of a difference nationality to help my new signee's feel more at home
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #1683
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
I've always wondered this as well. I basically have more(when Im coaching better teams) who are of a difference nationality to help my new signee's feel more at home
Since Chelsea had like 8 when I started a career with them and combined they gave me a better idea of when an injured player would return, I think there is.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #1684
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Since Chelsea had like 8 when I started a career with them and combined they gave me a better idea of when an injured player would return, I think there is.

Did they give differing opinions on when a player would return? I usually have 3 physios at once, and I don't think I've ever seen a differing opinion among them.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #1685
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Did they give differing opinions on when a player would return? I usually have 3 physios at once, and I don't think I've ever seen a differing opinion among them.
No, it was just one opinion. But I had a career with Portsmouth and had about 3 or 4 pretty decent physios and the consensus would be something like "He'll miss 1 to 3 weeks. Where with the 8 physios at Chelsea, who individually were no better, but their consensus was always like "He'll miss one week." Or, "He'll miss two weeks." The gap of time was never as wide as it was when I was at Portsmouth.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #1686
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

What MikeVick7 has indicated is correct ...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #1687
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Time wasting?

It appears to me that time wasting with a lead at the end of the game isn't always working for me. I am using the latest patch playing WSM disk version.
When I have that 1 goal lead I set the time wasting to the max at around the 80 minute mark.

On throw ins and free kicks my players seem to put the ball in play quickly, almost always around 10 seconds, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. Being from the US and just learning the game I don't know how much time IRL a player can take but I'm pretty sure the AI is taking longer than that when it has the lead. I rarely get the "he'll be in no hurry" comment anymore. Usually when I do it's with under 3 minutes left in the match, but even then it doesn't appear to be consistent. I have alos tried setting it just below max, like 18 or 19, but see no difference.

I am currently in my second season (was hired in late Feb the previous year after starting umemployed) and have a record of 5 wins, 5 draws, 1 loss. So I can't say if the AI is suffering from the same problem as I have only been behind once as the end of the game approached But I am trying to keep a closer eye on it as the season progresses.

I thought maybe because my tempo was quick it was having an affect so at the same time I turned TW up I turned down tempo. Didn't notice any difference.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this in their game?

Couple of more things..

My current game was started with the newest patch 6.03.

It seemed before with my pre 6.03 dynasty that I did get the "he'll be in no hurry" comment and then what seemed to be significant time run off the clock.

I also know in my pre 6.03 game the AI would drive me nuts with the amount of time they would run off the clock on throwins and free kicks. But like I said there was only the one opportunity so far for the AI so I'm not sure how it's working there.

Or should I be doing someting more than just turning up the time wasting?

Certainly not a gamebreaker, as WSM has quickly become the number two game on my schedule after ootp, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #1688
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

A brief update on my Exeter career. I'm in 2015-16 and still managing the Grecians. We've been in the Prem for the last three seasons and escaped relegation by four points or less in every one of them. The Prem is definitely much tougher than Conference given the resources the opposition has to work with.

But imagine my surprise when a struggling Real Madrid offered me their managerial job. I knew I'd done a good job with Canada and then Ireland in international management, but didn't think my Exeter performance had done enough to justify this kind of approach. My eyes nearly bulged out of my head when I saw what they wanted to give me as a budget. After working with Exeter's paltry 10 million pounds or less transfer budget and 180,000 pounds/week wage budget, I was astounded to see Real Madrid offer me what looked like an open checkbook. 285 million pounds to spend on transfers and 528,000 pounds/week wage budget!

It was extremely tough to let that job go, but I didn't think my work at Exeter was done yet. Besides, I can't stand the galacticos. Now if Barca come calling, it will definitely be time to reconsider...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #1689
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but: Is there a demo? I finished a rather massive project this morning and I'm researching ways to reward myself.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #1690
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I'm not going to read this whole thread, but: Is there a demo? I finished a rather massive project this morning and I'm researching ways to reward myself.

good reward st.cronin

looks like the try n buy for wwsm is offline right now, but here's the gold demo for FM (same game, different name)

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=356
Old 04-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #1691
st.cronin
General Manager

Thanks Daddy!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #1692
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yw

(and an aside...that's why this SN is so amusing)
Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #1693
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

it's great that this thread about a legitimate game that we're not all ripping on has 1/2 as many views as the comedy-fest that is the MF-thread.

to me that is an accomplishment you should celebrate Marc. Because people will obviously have less to say about a good game than a poor one.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #1694
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I finally broke down and bought the game. Updated to the latest patch and I certainly am not disappointed!
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 AM   #1695
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
It appears to me that time wasting with a lead at the end of the game isn't always working for me. I am using the latest patch playing WSM disk version.
When I have that 1 goal lead I set the time wasting to the max at around the 80 minute mark.

From what I've read in the FM forums...

Time wasting isn't purely about holding a lead. It's about your players holding the ball long enough for the rest of the team to join in on an attack. Specifically, your faster paced players will tend to hold the ball and wait for everyone else to catch up, it's mostly aimed for slower-paced teams with good handling that can dominate possession despite not running a fast offense.

I'd suggest going more defensive by narrowing down the pitch and switching to long-passing along with high time-wasting to try and hold a lead with a few minutes left.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:18 AM   #1696
daedalus
Pro Rookie

The articles that I read at FM Britain seems to concur with Neon_Chaos' view of that statistic. I believe you will have better success with narrowing the pitch (as he said) as it allows your defense to hold shape better, changing the mentalities (more defensive), passing styles (more direct for better clearance) and possibly their tackling preferences (more easy as they apparently take less chances then). In combination with bringing the defensive line further back (to prevent fast strikers getting behind your defense) and, perhaps, having a defensive midfielder protecting your defensive line, you should have greater success holding leads.

If I understand those articles correctly, at least.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 AM   #1697
daedalus
Pro Rookie

As an aside, I am running into some weird bugs with my roster. One, last season, I had players complained at lack of first team action. While they were on loan (their complaints were with lack of action with my team, which is decidedly difficult for me to rectify since, y'know, they are on another team). Also, for the last few seasons, I've been having problems with players not returning from season long loans once their loan deal ends. They just kind of stay on loan until the season just about starts. Lastly, and this is new to me, I have 2 players whose contracts ended while they were on season long loans and ended up signing with another team. Now that the new season has started, they are still on my screen. Albeit, in a different colour than the rest of the squad. When I look at their information, it says that they are on loan with the team that they were on loan with last season while listing their actual team as the new team they signed with. No mention of the Arse, yet they are on my screen. Weird, to say the least.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my pushing the limit of the new lack of roster thing or not (at least new to me, my last version was 01/02).
Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 AM   #1698
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
From what I've read in the FM forums...

Time wasting isn't purely about holding a lead. It's about your players holding the ball long enough for the rest of the team to join in on an attack. Specifically, your faster paced players will tend to hold the ball and wait for everyone else to catch up, it's mostly aimed for slower-paced teams with good handling that can dominate possession despite not running a fast offense.

I'd suggest going more defensive by narrowing down the pitch and switching to long-passing along with high time-wasting to try and hold a lead with a few minutes left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
The articles that I read at FM Britain seems to concur with Neon_Chaos' view of that statistic. I believe you will have better success with narrowing the pitch (as he said) as it allows your defense to hold shape better, changing the mentalities (more defensive), passing styles (more direct for better clearance) and possibly their tackling preferences (more easy as they apparently take less chances then). In combination with bringing the defensive line further back (to prevent fast strikers getting behind your defense) and, perhaps, having a defensive midfielder protecting your defensive line, you should have greater success holding leads.

If I understand those articles correctly, at least.

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with both of you guys. I do pull back and narrow down the defense in
my games. I would say I hold the lead for the win 90+ % of the time so it's not a "the AI always comes back" rant

I just get a little frustrated when it seems my guy throws the ball in too quickly when he could hold it and let time run off the clock. Certainly not a gamebreaker but since it's my first version I wondered if this was normal. If it is that's cool.

Also as I stated in my post I am still very new to football and I am curious how long a player can hold the ball or delay the kick? Is there some penalty if they don't put the ball in play in X number of seconds?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #1699
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I agree with both of you guys. I do pull back and narrow down the defense in
my games. I would say I hold the lead for the win 90+ % of the time so it's not a "the AI always comes back" rant

I just get a little frustrated when it seems my guy throws the ball in too quickly when he could hold it and let time run off the clock. Certainly not a gamebreaker but since it's my first version I wondered if this was normal. If it is that's cool.

Also as I stated in my post I am still very new to football and I am curious how long a player can hold the ball or delay the kick? Is there some penalty if they don't put the ball in play in X number of seconds?

There are no real guidelines, but they can be booked for timewasting at the referee's discretion. Usually they'll just get a warning first though.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #1700
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
There are no real guidelines, but they can be booked for timewasting at the referee's discretion. Usually they'll just get a warning first though.

Thank you for the info. It's taking time but I am learning little by little