Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #1651
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
That is fine. I know a ton about the game of soccer. So if I do not know anything, then that is probably pretty amazing.

The thing is Europeans and people from Europe have no "unbiased" eyes toward the US team. They simply do not want to see the US side do well. They will see oh, yea, I pull for the US knowing damn well it is a lie.

Just because you are from the US you "have no clue in hell" about soccer. That is the attitude of most Europeans and it is obvious in this thread.

I'm sorry but that is not true, i can tell you that everybody in Spain rooted for USA, and also most of Europeans.

Let's say we don't have alot of sympathy for the Italian national team. They always play ugly soccer, border lining the legality and they end winning the games. A clear example was the game vs USA but also the game they won against Spain in the past USA WC when Tassoti broke Luis Enrique nose with his ankle into the penalty area and the referee ignored it. I'm sorry to say this for my buddy Emiliano in this board, but we in Spain hate the Italian national team and want them to lose always.

About the USA team, we in Europe simply don't care a lot as we never saw them as contenders. As it's a young team in international competitions without a long tradition, not any king of positive or negative feelings have grown in us by now. In my case i have big sympathy with the USA team because the friends i know in this board that are becoming real soccer fans thanks in part to FM. Also i said it before, i think USA will become a powerhorse in a few years.

Last edited by Icy : 06-18-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #1652
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
It didn't in mine. I think sovereignstar was saying is how can someone be not biased and not unbiased? There's no middle ground really. If you're not unbiased, by definition, you must have a bias. If you have a bias, you are biased.
If I were to take a chance at interpreting Bug's comment:

He does not feel that Matthijs had a bias opinion specifically AGAINST THE US team (ie, an attitude "if it's the US team, they must suck"). On the other hand, as he remains quite human, Matthijs probably has various preconceived notions much like the rest of us (ie, Terrell Owen is an asshole, Greg Maddux benefits from a wide strike zone, Allen Iverson is not worth the headache, Rafael van der Vaart WOULD look great in the Arsenal kit).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #1653
Easy Mac

Well, looks like Japan is likely out of it. Anything can happen, but a win v. Brazil is unlikely.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #1654
Groundhog
Coordinator

Japan's 0-0 draw helps us get through, but I was hoping they'd pick up a win tonight. We are about to face Brazil and I'm nervous... I don't expect a win, though a draw or a 1 goal loss would be super. As long as they don't score 6 goals on us...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #1655
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

What is with this Togo team? First the coach and now the players demanding stuff?

You would think they are as good as the Brazilians with the attitude coming from there (as perceived from the couple media stories I have heard in the U.S. I should say).
Old 06-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #1656
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
What is with this Togo team? First the coach and now the players demanding stuff?

You would think they are as good as the Brazilians with the attitude coming from there (as perceived from the couple media stories I have heard in the U.S. I should say).

I'm pretty sure the coach flap was around the players not getting paid in the first place.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #1657
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
I'm pretty sure the coach flap was around the players not getting paid in the first place.
What I heard was that the coaching staff supported the players until the players decided to stay away from the training sessions without notice to the coaches. The coaches called it quits over this lack of training. Why they returned, I'm still puzzled on.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #1658
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Seems like there's been something wrong with them for a while, they turned up at the African Nations tournament in January, lost all three group games and went home.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #1659
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Seems like there's been something wrong with them for a while, they turned up at the African Nations tournament in January, lost all three group games and went home.

I know Musberger said they want (I guess what equals) $200,000 for each player. And that that is a huge amount of money in there country.

What is the normal amount for other teams who will not get out of the Group Stage?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #1660
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
What is the normal amount for other teams who will not get out of the Group Stage?

There is no "normal" amount. The bonus offered by each country depends a lot from the country federation economy, how hard is the goal to acomplish etc etc. In fact i think there shouldn't be any kind of bonus, all the players got a wage for being in the national team, and thy should try to win not because money but because they love their country. Of course that would be in a perfect world, so far from the reallity.

Last edited by Icy : 06-18-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #1661
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know Musberger said they want (I guess what equals) $200,000 for each player. And that that is a huge amount of money in there country.

From BBC Sport:

"Players from the tiny West African country have demanded US$196,300 each to play and US$38,000 for each win, half that for each draw. But officials from the country with an average per capita income of well below US$1,000 have said those demands are too high."

I haven't been able to find anything saying what the typical pay for a WC player is.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #1662
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
There is no "normal" amount. The bonus offered by each country depends a lot from the country federation economy, how hard is the goal to acomplish etc etc. In fact i think there shouldn't be any kind of bonus, all the players got a wage for being in the national team, and thy should try to win not because money but because they love their country. Of course that would be in a perfect world, so far from the reallity.

I agree, would be nice but pretty unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
From BBC Sport:

"Players from the tiny West African country have demanded US$196,300 each to play and US$38,000 for each win, half that for each draw. But officials from the country with an average per capita income of well below US$1,000 have said those demands are too high."

I haven't been able to find anything saying what the typical pay for a WC player is.

Man, if they gave them that nearly $200,000 they may be set up for life in that coountry. Or be able to move the f' out.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #1663
Easy Mac

First half of Brazil/Australia has been extremely boring. Not that I really blame Australia for dropping 9 men back, but it makes for some boring football.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #1664
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
First half of Brazil/Australia has been extremely boring. Not that I really blame Australia for dropping 9 men back, but it makes for some boring football.

I am into it some. Mainly because I have hope of the Aussie's getting a draw. Probably won't happen, but it would be cool to see. I didn't think it would be 0-0 at the half either.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #1665
Groundhog
Coordinator

Boring if you're not Australian.

We've had some decent looks, but 2 of them were weak-ass shots by Cahill. Decent look at the end of the half too.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #1666
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

and man, having our game broadcast at 2:00am Sydney time is lame.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #1667
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
dola

Better than tape delay.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #1668
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I thought Aus actually tried to attack when they could, even if they are (rightfully) cautious. They aren't just sitting 9 behind the ball and just hoofing the ball upfield.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #1669
Critch
lolzcat

Brazil look like they thought they just had to turn up to get the three points, same as they looked against Croatia. Turn up, not play too hard, not get injured and save themselves for the next round. At least I hope they've got a gear to step up to.

And the chubby guy up front looks old.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #1670
vyshka
Mascot

Is it playing on anything besides univision right now? What was Ronaldo's yellow card for? Talking smack to the ref about the offsides call?
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #1671
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, Renaldo's go-for-the-shot-and-miss-the-ball-completely move was awesome.

*knock on wood before Renaldo goes for a hattrick in the 2nd half*
Old 06-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #1672
Groundhog
Coordinator

Renaldo got the card for kicking the ball after the whistle I think it was.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #1673
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyshka
Is it playing on anything besides univision right now?

All three games today are on ABC. Unless your local station is screwing you over for something else I guess.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #1674
Easy Mac

Goal Brazil. They made that look easier than it was. The keeper made a poor effort on the shot.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #1675
GrantDawg

Ouch. They make it look easy, don't they?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #1676
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Woo-hoo! Got the church and infomercial combo on ABC again!! Praise jesus!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #1677
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Ronaldo has been one of if not Brazil's best player in this game IMO.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #1678
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Goal Brazil. They made that look easier than it was. The keeper made a poor effort on the shot.

I agree, the keeper looked kind of bad on that shot to me.

Damn nice shot between the legs though, thats impressive to someone like me.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #1679
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Woo-hoo! Got the church and infomercial combo on ABC again!! Praise jesus!

I would riot.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #1680
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What a horribly taken breakaway. That had to be SO much better. Use your fucking left foot.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #1681
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
What a horribly taken breakaway. That had to be SO much better. Use your fucking left foot.

You are allowed to use your other foot? Cool!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #1682
Easy Mac

Well Robinho is having fun.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #1683
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

That's tough because he couldn't have seen it before it was right on him. I'd blame the defender for standing off so much - either give the keeper a clear view of the shot, or make a tackle. Don't just stand in the way with your legs open like a moron. Neill should never have let Ronaldo make the pass either.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #1684
GrantDawg

Australia has had some chances. They need a break.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #1685
Easy Mac

They won't get a break. Eveerytime the wind blows on a Brazilian the ref calls a foul. They're not even diving, they're just getting the michael jordan treatment... if there were a team full of jordans.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #1686
Easy Mac

Methinks that one might do it. Still Aussies have a good shot to advance.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #1687
bhlloy
Coordinator

One question... who the hell is Fred? I guess all the good names were taken
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #1688
Groundhog
Coordinator

One word: Fuck.

So many chances, no luck. I'm a "homer", but still, I was getting a little sick of Brazil's free-kick-athon.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #1689
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They won't get a break. Eveerytime the wind blows on a Brazilian the ref calls a foul. They're not even diving, they're just getting the michael jordan treatment... if there were a team full of jordans.

They ARE a team full of Jordans . They just haven't reached their comfort level with each other yet.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #1690
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
dola

It's revenge for the rest of us having 2:00 AM games when it was played in Korea/Japan .
Old 06-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #1691
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Ronaldo has been one of if not Brazil's best player in this game IMO.

He wasnt as bad as he was in the first game, but he's nowhere near as sharp as he was a couple of years ago.

I'd have gone for Ze Roberto or maybe Kaka as thier best player.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #1692
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
He wasnt as bad as he was in the first game, but he's nowhere near as sharp as he was a couple of years ago.

Right, I made that comment far too early. He had been pretty active for most of the first half, presenting himself to the ball a lot (which is unusual for him), but then didn't do any of that in the 2nd half.

Ze Roberto made some great defensive plays, I agree.

Brazil really started to percolate when Robinho (and to a lesser extent, Fred) came on, though. I think Robinho has to start the 3rd game for them.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #1693
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I agree with Critch. He certainly doesn't seem to have "it" right now, and I think they can only wait so long for him to find "it" before they put Robinho in ahead of him. Robinho is certainly the more complete player at this point, and likely more dangerous too (his ability to draw fouls is amazing).

For me personally, give me Robinho. Partnering Adriano with Ronaldo is two players that are too similar up top. Robinho's speed and moves bring a different dimension and force defenders to play him differently then they do Adriano.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #1694
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Parreira has a choice. It has to be Robinho with Adriano. Brazilians have been clamoring for that pairing before the cup! Ronaldo would be a Hell of sub though.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #1695
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Beautiful through ball, and Henry comes through. Good for him - one of my favorite players.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-18-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #1696
Critch
lolzcat

France are looking good, much better than the first game. It's only the ref that's keeping South Korea in this game.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #1697
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
France are looking good, much better than the first game. It's only the ref that's keeping South Korea in this game.
It's tough being denied a goal like the one where the Korean goalkeeper stopped it inside his goal. This is argument 4,530,431 for adding camera's in the goal to assist the referees.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #1698
Critch
lolzcat

Incidentally, did anybody see the French fan showing his cock before kickoff?

I know it's their national symbol, but I'm surprised he was allowed to get his cock inside the stadium, never mind get his cock out and wave it about.

It was a very nice cock, though.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #1699
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Well deserved equaliser there!
But it also makes the ignored goal even more costly for France.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #1700
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Oh wow. Zinedine Zidane gets booked. If the French fail to make the last 16, this the next 5+ minutes are his last as a pro soccer player...