Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #1651
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Why haven't you two blocked eachother yet?

I don't block any posters. Anyone who needs an ignore feature on a message board has far more issues than just a poster. I was an umpire at national tournaments for over a decade and now run a winery that deals with brides and the public on a daily basis. I have skin thicker than a turtle shell.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have little doubt that cartman is a very good person and I will continue to attempt to treat him with the same respect as any other poster. I can only control my own actions.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #1652
heybrad
Norm!!!

This thread is one of the weirdest phenomenons on the Internet.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #1653
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The 9x dola is awesome
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #1654
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Another piece of the Steam Box puzzle. They've released an open-source DirectX to OpenGL translator.

Valve releases open source Direct3D to OpenGL translator | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #1655
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interesting chatter today from Pete Dodd. First, he discusses Batman pre-orders.

Wow, that's very telling. Clearly XBox One owners are smart enough not to preorder a game that isn't coming out for more than 7 months, but you can't say the same about those with the PS4.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #1656
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Wow, that's very telling. Clearly XBox One owners are smart enough not to preorder a game that isn't coming out for more than 7 months, but you can't say the same about those with the PS4.

Gold!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #1657
Kodos
Resident Alien

I love the new McKerney.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #1658
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I love the new McKerney.

He does keep knocking it out of the park

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-12-2014 at 02:00 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #1659
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

So what are people opinions on steam boxes? Do they make any sense? Will only certain games work on them? I guess I'm really unfamiliar with their purpose and too lazy to figure it out on my own.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #1660
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
So what are people opinions on steam boxes? Do they make any sense? Will only certain games work on them? I guess I'm really unfamiliar with their purpose and too lazy to figure it out on my own.

Don't really know yet. They've been keeping them under wraps.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #1661
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

A pot shot by Sony after the recent uproar over MS's new release parity clause for indie games ( Edge Online). Another situation of MS shooting themselves in the foot........

Quote:
Adam Boyes ‏@amboyes

In the interest of transparency, I want to share our Dev clause that lists which platforms you cannot release on.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-12-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #1662
cartman
Death Herald

You know, maybe you wouldn't need such thick skin if you weren't so oblivious. Just a thought.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #1663
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Indie games = steam
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #1664
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post

For me I think the only type of Steam Box that would make sense would be a box for in home streaming. I'd like to play some PC games on my TV, but it's definitely not worth it to buy a second higher end PC for the living room. I'm sure for some people it would make sense to get one instead of traditional gaming PC, but I spend too much playing games that require a mouse + keyboard to that to be an option. How big a market there is for them I really couldn't guess.

As far as what games will work on them, there's a few answers to that. Out of the box I think they'll typically only be able to play games with Linux support that can run natively on Steam OS. But a Steam Box is an open PC so if you want to install Windows and play any Windows game on it. There's also the option to steam from another PC, which requires you to run the game on another PC and then stream the game over your local network with Steam.

There's also no need to buy a preassembled Steam Box. You can just build a PC and install Steam OS on your own.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-12-2014 at 09:04 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #1665
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Finally had a NPD month worth discussing. PS4 still won the month despite still having supply issues with around 286K sold. X1 came in a close second, selling around 258K.

March should be fun to watch. You have to think that this would be the month that MS could win with the Titanfall launch. If Sony quotes are to be believed, March would be the last month where supply constraints are an issue for the PS4, so it's ripe for the picking for MS.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #1666
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Finally had a NPD month worth discussing. PS4 still won the month despite still having supply issues with around 286K sold. X1 came in a close second, selling around 258K.

March should be fun to watch. You have to think that this would be the month that MS could win with the Titanfall launch. If Sony quotes are to be believed, March would be the last month where supply constraints are an issue for the PS4, so it's ripe for the picking for MS.

Considering I can go to any website right now and get a PS4, I don't buy the shortages. Besides, nobody who is dying for a PS4 for this long would give in and buy an Xbox now. Titanfall surely had something to do with it. In pure dollars, it went Sony - 10,720,000 vs XBox
12,900,000 for the US. As I've said all along, I think Sony will win this round, but it will be close the entire way. I don't see Sony putting the Xbox out of business anytime soon.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #1667
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Considering I can go to any website right now and get a PS4, I don't buy the shortages. Besides, nobody who is dying for a PS4 for this long would give in and buy an Xbox now. Titanfall surely had something to do with it. In pure dollars, it went Sony - 10,720,000 vs XBox
12,900,000 for the US. As I've said all along, I think Sony will win this round, but it will be close the entire way. I don't see Sony putting the Xbox out of business anytime soon.

Who's the analyst who said Xbox was going to be put out of business? Link?

PS4 is generally still out of stock in most places. You can't go to any website and get one. Though I did see that Amazon got a huge stock in today and it is still available as I post. That's an improvement.

Sony PlayStation 4 (PS4) In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net

The pure dollars argument is as ridiculous as MS's argument in November that they were the 'fastest selling console in history'. It's a fun little spin, but doesn't increase the number of consoles that were sold, which is what developers look at.

We're currently looking at a 2:1 ratio worldwide. That's not something I would term 'close the whole way' and pulling even for a month isn't going to help that situation. MS needs to start winning some months in the US because they're getting beaten badly everywhere else. Next month is going to be fantastic to watch. MS needs to prove that the millions of extra dollars they spent this month were worth it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-13-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #1668
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It's in stock at Amazon and there are like 200 vendors selling it on there as well if they run out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #1669
CraigSca
Pro Starter

As of a couple of days ago, it wasn't in stock at Amazon. It seems to go in waves.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #1670
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's in stock at Amazon and there are like 200 vendors selling it on there as well if they run out.

I agree. It's still in stock this morning, so they got one helluva shipment considering that all other retailers show not in stock.

Saying it's still in stock because of vendors is like saying it's not out of stock because people are selling it on eBay. That's not in stock.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #1671
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rental options showing up on PSN as placeholders. Looks like they're going to offer varying days of rentals.

Rental options spotted (but not working) on the PlayStation Store | Joystiq

I'm hoping they have an unlimited subscription option. I'm likely not interested in a per-game only model.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #1672
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still amazed at the "winning" discussion.

I could understand a "better" or "superior" discussion ....but do you think Coke and Pepsi discuss who is "winning"

I want to sell as much product as I can independent of how much my competitors sell.

Would Sony be happy is sales dropped from $10MM to $4MM if M$ sales dropped from $12MM to $1MM?

Heck if I am Sony and I have $10MM in sales my goal is to get to $20MM in sales EVEN IF M$ gets to $500MM....at the end of the day I cant spend their money only mine.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #1673
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
....but do you think Coke and Pepsi discuss who is "winning"

I'm floored that you think they don't. I know two people who work for the beverage division of Coke. They literally do weekly checks on Coke/Pepsi market infiltration. They're borderline obsessed with each other. You really couldn't have picked a worse argument to make your point.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #1674
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I would wager these are marketing folks?

Most executives and accountant types Ive ran into only worry about their bottom line not the competitions...until growth is stagnant...then you look across the aisle and say "are they stagnant?" if so...cool if not then you are losing market share.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #1675
Kodos
Resident Alien

For people that have one of the next gen consoles, what games are you playing? Every time I feel an urge to spring for a PS4, I look at the list of games, and I don't see anything that compels me to buy right now.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #1676
cartman
Death Herald

I'm playing a mix of the games. In the past few days it has been:

FIFA 14
Titanfall
Ryse: Son of Rome
Dead Rising 2
Powerstar Golf
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #1677
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

FIFA and COD Ghosts, some NBA 2k14 here and there
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #1678
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
For people that have one of the next gen consoles, what games are you playing? Every time I feel an urge to spring for a PS4, I look at the list of games, and I don't see anything that compels me to buy right now.

Sports games mostly. 2K14 and FIFA. I have taken a liking to Outcast (can't beat the price) and I'm going to load Dead Nation (can't beat the price).

Already sold back BF4. Don't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

If you can wait, The Show comes out May 6th. That's probably the next must have.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #1679
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Pizza and Titanfall tonight. Splitscreen with the girlfriend. Her idea.

I'm totally bragging.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #1680
Kodos
Resident Alien

Part of the problem is I don't get much gaming time, and it is generally eaten up by the two NCAA 2014 leagues. So even if I bought a new console, I wouldn't really get to play it much. Waiting is a better option, but sometimes I do get the impulse to buy anyway.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-14-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #1681
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Pizza and Titanfall tonight. Splitscreen with the girlfriend. Her idea.

I'm totally bragging.

I remember the good old days when my roommate and I would have 4-player deathmatches with our future wives in TimeSplitters on the PS2. Those were the best days of my console gaming life.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-14-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #1682
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

We usually go the co-op or team based route, because she destroys me. And then mocks me.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #1683
Kodos
Resident Alien

None of them were regular gamers, so I dominated our matches. My best friend's wife would get pissed because she would kill me one too many times and I would start targeting just her. It was fun.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #1684
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm in the same boat in that I'd like to pick up one of the next-gens but none of the games are jumping out at me right now.

Has the next addition in the Morrowind/Skyrim series been announced yet (not including the MMO).
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #1685
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Someone needs to put a muzzle on the MS executives.......

News: Last year's Xbox 180s show the strength of Xbox One's OS design, says Xbox director - OXM US
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #1686
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

If you don't want to hear what MS execs have to say, you don't have to click on the links and read them.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #1687
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I'm in the same boat in that I'd like to pick up one of the next-gens but none of the games are jumping out at me right now.

Has the next addition in the Morrowind/Skyrim series been announced yet (not including the MMO).

This is basically why I think any "facts" in this thread about the demise of MS is being exaggerated. At this point, there really isnt anything about having either console that makes it a must own. I own the PS4 and seldom turn it on. What I use the PS4 for at this point isnt any different than what I was using the PS3 for.

Once the great games start being released I think we will get a better feel of how this will turn out.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-14-2014 at 01:24 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #1688
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Well:

1) He's in an interview with an XBox website.
2) He's not saying a damned thing about Sony
3) If you want, we can all run off a list of asinine things Sony executives have said over the last few years, especially as they were losing market share at record rates in the last generation.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #1689
TroyF
Coordinator

Games I'm playing now:

I'm still trying to work my way through Dead Rising on the XB1. Love the game despite a few quirks. Trying to get into Killzone on the PS4. (struggling to do it) Waiting for Infamous and MLB for the Xbox.

Will probably buy Titanfall when it has a price drop.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #1690
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Well:

1) He's in an interview with an XBox website.
2) He's not saying a damned thing about Sony
3) If you want, we can all run off a list of asinine things Sony executives have said over the last few years, especially as they were losing market share at record rates in the last generation.

So true on #3. It makes it all the more amazing that they appear to have learned nothing from Sony's mistakes in the last generation.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #1691
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This is basically why I think any "facts" in this thread about the demise of MS is being exaggerated. At this point, there really isnt anything about having either console that makes it a must own. I own the PS4 and seldom turn it on. What I use the PS4 for at this point isnt any different than what I was using the PS3 for.

Once the great games start being released I think we will get a better feel of how this will turn out.

I've mainly used my PS4 mainly for Netflix with some Madden sprinkled in here and there.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #1692
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

NBA2k14 gets most of my time. Also playing, Madden, Assassin's Creed, and Forza. I also have Dead Rising but time has limited me from playing it much yet.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-14-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #1693
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does NBA have Jordan and other classic players?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #1694
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Does NBA have Jordan and other classic players?

It has classic teams you can be with them players.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #1695
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
NBA2k14 gets most of my time. Also playing, Madden, Assassin's Creed, and Forza. I also have Dead Rising but time has limited me from playing it much yet.

Assassin's Creed 4 is the one I keep thinking about trying out. Everyone says it's amazing. I tried #2 or #3 and couldn't get into it. Is 4 really worth the time?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #1696
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah AC 4 is my next purchase when I get my next reffing check.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #1697
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Just curious if anyone is using the non-gaming features for the Xbox one? I did very well in for a bonus this year and while I was going to wait to get and Xbox One, I think now might be the time.

I think the gaming side is pretty self explanatory so I am just wondering how things like the oneguide, netflix, skype, and all that jazz is playing out. Are you running your cable box through it? Do you use the voice commands?

Last edited by jaygr : 03-14-2014 at 03:52 PM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #1698
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
Just curious if anyone is using the non-gaming features for the Xbox one? I did very well in for a bonus this year and while I was going to wait to get and Xbox One, I think now might be the time.

I think the gaming side is pretty self explanatory so I am just wondering how things like the oneguide, netflix, skype, and all that jazz is playing out. Are you running your cable box through it? Do you use the voice commands?

Yep. I run my DirecTV Genie box through it and use voice commands extensively. Netflix and Skype work well, but there are tons of devices that provide Netflix streaming. Skype is nice, as the Kinect works much better than a webcam.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #1699
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Netflix and Skype work well, but there are tons of devices that provide Netflix streaming.

That's partly the issue in that I was hoping that the Xbox could replace the roku I have hooked up, mostly to reduce the clutter. The only thing is that I'm a big user of Plex and I doubt I could get that on the Xbox, so it may be a moot point anyway.

As far as running the cable box through, will it also control the tv turning on and off? So I would come into the room and just say 'Xbox watch TV' and everything would turn on? I guess I'm also trying to gauge how wife friendly it will be as well She's fine with tech but if it was much harder to get started up and going then she may sour on it.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #1700
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
That's partly the issue in that I was hoping that the Xbox could replace the roku I have hooked up, mostly to reduce the clutter. The only thing is that I'm a big user of Plex and I doubt I could get that on the Xbox, so it may be a moot point anyway.

As far as running the cable box through, will it also control the tv turning on and off? So I would come into the room and just say 'Xbox watch TV' and everything would turn on? I guess I'm also trying to gauge how wife friendly it will be as well She's fine with tech but if it was much harder to get started up and going then she may sour on it.

Yep, there are config settings to tell it to turn the TV and/or cable box on or off with Xbox. I do just what you are describe. I say "xbox power on" and "xbox go to TV" and I'm watching TV.

As for Plex, it looks like some of the stuff works, other stuff doesn't.
So does Plex work yet? : xboxone