Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #1651
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
While i agree with the NU example, the Pac 10 is currently sharing less revenue per team then the Big 12 and it has 2 less members to cut the pie up with. So if the Big 12 handled itself with intelligence, they might have tried to pry USC, UCLA, etc. away from the Pac 10 and not have to go through these problems. The only reason they will make more money in the Pac is because the Pac 10 was smart enough to make the move first. So yes they will make more money, but if the Big 12 is currently making more money then the Pac 10 per team, i dont see why that wouldnt still apply if they cherry picked the cream of the Pac 10 crop and brought in the Phoenix, LA, and Seattle markets for example. I understand the logistics would be difficult with politics and all, but that hasnt stopped the Pac 10.

haha.

What?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #1652
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I wish everyone would hurry up and get this thing done. Not once have these AD’s and Presidents stopped to think about how much productivity they’re costing my employer. They are really being selfish about this.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #1653
MJ4H
Coordinator

ChipBrown says Colorado will announce the move to PAC-X today.

This will be fun. The SEC needs to move NOW.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #1654
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I just think it's an easier sell to have Texas adding to the Pac-10 than California and Washington to a midwest conference. The reality is most people east of the Mississippi look at Texas as a "west coast state" anyway. I doubt many people could honestly consider California part of the midwest
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #1655
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Now SEC has apparently contacted FSU and Clemson.

Clemson in the SEC... ugh.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #1656
MrBug708
Head Coach

In 20 minutes Colorado is expected to announce a move to the PAC-10 through a press conference

Source: Colorado to announce Pac-10 move - ESPN
Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #1657
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
In 20 minutes Colorado is expected to announce a move to the PAC-10 through a press conference

Source: Colorado to announce Pac-10 move - ESPN

Nice. Let's get this party started.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #1658
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Now SEC has apparently contacted FSU and Clemson.

The SEC has been doing this the right way and talking to a number of teams behind closed doors. Several more than FSU and Clemson.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #1659
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
While noting that things didn't play out as quickly as Mizzou had hoped, I certainly haven't changed my opinion that Mizzou will get a bid. Most of that delay has happened due to Notre Dame strongly considering the move. They were all lined up to make the move with NU, MU, and Rutgers and add ND at 16 teams later on. But Notre Dame decided at the last minute maybe they should reconsider. So once again, we're waiting on Notre Dame.

Again, there is a difference between stating "this is what things look like and the direction they are moving" versus "this is what happened."
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #1660
Swaggs
Coordinator

Washington to Texas A&M would have to be the most miles between conference mates in history.

Is anyone else excited by the potential of Colorado and Nebraska leaving and the remaining Big 12 having to play with 10 members for a year or two, while the Big Ten has 12 members?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #1661
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This stuff has been behind closed doors for months for most of the conferences. The Pac-10 had initially contacted Texas and Colorado 6 months ago according to the Pac-10 commish. The problem was that once the Nebraska-Big 10 thing went public, everyone started to dig and all this came out.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #1662
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Nice. Let's get this party started.

Also in that article

Quote:
The coach said it's possible the Pac-16 would push for two automatic bids to the BCS, one for each division champion. That potential bonanza could open the possibility of the two division champs from one league playing for the national title, and it would eliminate the need for a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a championship game," the coach said. "And coaches in the Big 12 don't like it anyway."
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #1663
MJ4H
Coordinator

2 auto-bids aint happening.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #1664
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The SEC has been doing this the right way and talking to a number of teams behind closed doors. Several more than FSU and Clemson.

Agreed. SEC has been pretty tight with this info.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #1665
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

I agree.. Clemson is one of the oldschool Tech rivalries that I enjoy. Every season, my cousins that went to Clemson and I trash talk before the Tech - Clemson game.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #1666
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Washington to Texas A&M would have to be the most miles between conference mates in history.

Is anyone else excited by the potential of Colorado and Nebraska leaving and the remaining Big 12 having to play with 10 members for a year or two, while the Big Ten has 12 members?

This may be very ignorant, but would it have been THAT much further then say Michigan to Texas, which the Big 10 would have happily done? I think either one is flying distance, so im not sure I see a massive difference to me
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #1667
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
haha.

What?

Basically if the Big 12 had its act together it could have raided the Pac 10 instead of the opposite happening
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #1668
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm really hoping that A&M ends up in the Pac 10(16).

It is easy to envision WVU being left out in the cold if there is a drastic realignment that includes the SEC taking from the ACC (w/o WVU), and then the ACC taking from the Big East. Having A&M takes away one seat in that scenario.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1669
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
This may be very ignorant, but would it have been THAT much further then say Michigan to Texas, which the Big 10 would have happily done? I think either one is flying distance, so im not sure I see a massive difference to me

It is a fair question that I don't know the answer to (I'm sure someone could figure it out easily enough). I'm basing it off of this:

Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1670
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Basically if the Big 12 had its act together it could have raided the Pac 10 instead of the opposite happening

Wouldn't have happened
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #1671
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The practical reality is that's what would happen though. There's a reason the Big Ten has 9 at-large bids - more than any other conference. If the top 2 teams had to play in conf championship game, that number would be half.

If the Pac-10 doesn't make the "old Pac 8" division champ play the new division's champ, there's a decent chance the winners of both sides would have 0-1 loss. That pretty much puts both in the BCS each year. If they had to play and one ended up with 2+ losses, there's a better chance of only getting one team in.

So, while it wouldn't be officially 2 bids, the Pac-16 would be almost guaranteed 2 teams in the BCS if they didn't have a conf championship (much like the Big 10 has with its no conf champ and non-round robin schedule).
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #1672
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

1808 nautical miles according to travelmath.com

But not much worse than ECU to UTEP, 1692 miles
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #1673
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd guess that right now, it would be Miami to BC, Syracuse to USF, or Arizona to Washington.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #1674
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
It is a fair question that I don't know the answer to (I'm sure someone could figure it out easily enough). I'm basing it off of this:

Based off my very official finger measurements, its 25% futher
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1675
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Wouldn't have happened

As a Pac 10 fan id agree, but with different circumstances it could have. The Pac 10 was able to raid the Big 12 because of both discontent and other conferences moving in concurrently. If were playing the what if, the Pac 10 could have had similar problems and been raided in my eyes.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1676
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Auto-bids aren't going to mean squat in 5-10 years. This is all building to a point where they start a 16 team playoff. They can then give an auto-bid to every D-I conference (much like they do right now in basketball) and then still have 10 or more at-large bids to make sure everyone that should be in is in fact in the tourney.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Why ugh? That's one of the most logical conference change/best fits I can imagine and it's one that I've thought made a great deal of sense for years.

I usually referred to it as "just trade Clemson for Vandy and everyone is better off" *(money not withstanding)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #1678
MrBug708
Head Coach

What about Hawaii to one of its conference teammates?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #1679
MJ4H
Coordinator

Even Chip Brown is trolling Missouri fans, now, so don't feel bad for doing it here:
"If there was a way for the Big XII to stay together without Nebraska there might be a vote to kick out Missouri"

-Chip Brown on Norm Hitzges Show
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #1680
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Tucson to Seattle is 1200+ miles - by far one of the biggest gaps in the BCS conferences already. Seattle to College Station may be an extra 400-500 miles or so, but the Pac-10 has always had the largest distances to travel.

My point was that it's an easier sell to add Texas/A&M to the Pac-10 than it would be to add USC/UCLA to the Big 12. If people were talking about adding Missouri or Iowa State to the Pac-10, I'd be saying the same thing. Texas just has always been more of a western state than a midwestern one.

Last edited by Arles : 06-10-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #1681
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
As a Pac 10 fan id agree, but with different circumstances it could have. The Pac 10 was able to raid the Big 12 because of both discontent and other conferences moving in concurrently. If were playing the what if, the Pac 10 could have had similar problems and been raided in my eyes.

Obviously UCLA and USC would be the top targets, but they'd need Cal with UCLA (much like TAMU and Texas) and then Stanford would also come out. But the PAC-10 actully caters to the Cali schools as it is and that would cost them some power in a new conference
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #1682
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hawaii to ???
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #1683
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
What about Hawaii to one of its conference teammates?

beat me to it damn

Last edited by SnDvls : 06-10-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #1684
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Tucson to Seattle is 1200+ miles - by far the biggest gap in any conference already. Seattle to College Station may be an extra 400 miles or so, but the Pac-10 has always had the largest distances to travel.

My point was that it's an easier sell to add Texas/A&M to the Pac-10 than it would be to add USC/UCLA to the Big 12. If people were talking about adding Missouri or Iowa State to the Pac-10, I'd be saying the same thing. Texas just has always been more of a western state than a midwestern one.

A UCLA/Cal/Stanford game at Baylor would be a sad sight to see with all of the empty seats
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #1685
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Even Chip Brown is trolling Missouri fans, now, so don't feel bad for doing it here:
"If there was a way for the Big XII to stay together without Nebraska there might be a vote to kick out Missouri"

Even Chip Brown? Does anyone actually consider the guy who writes for Texas' rival site to be impartial in any this? There is no secret that the south schools dont like Mizzou right now, so i wouldnt expect a writer paid to cander to these fans to say anything else.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #1686
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Hawaii to ???

To be fair, I dont think that is the same just because Hawaii is so isolated and it's going to be a flight no matter where you end up.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #1687
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1808 nautical miles according to travelmath.com

But not much worse than ECU to UTEP, 1692 miles

I think we're leaving out some of the Hawaii to ???? commutes, though that obviously is a unique circumstance.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #1688
Swaggs
Coordinator

According to the map, Hawaii is way closer to San Diego State, USC, and Arizona than a lot of the other combinations.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #1689
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Obviously UCLA and USC would be the top targets, but they'd need Cal with UCLA (much like TAMU and Texas) and then Stanford would also come out. But the PAC-10 actully caters to the Cali schools as it is and that would cost them some power in a new conference

The same power Texas is prob. having to give up to come over, its really quite similar, with three texas state schools and a private compared to three cali state schools and a private. And the other state schools the Pac is bringing has in state partners, just like the other Pac 10 teams would. Its really quite similar when you look at it.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #1690
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
To be fair, I dont think that is the same just because Hawaii is so isolated and it's going to be a flight no matter where you end up.

yes but the question posed was conference mates
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #1691
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
According to the map, Hawaii is way closer to San Diego State, USC, and Arizona than a lot of the other combinations.

According to the map Alaska should be a prime canidate for expansion with is close proximity to the Pac 10
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #1692
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

'Trolling" would be an accurate description.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #1693
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
The same power Texas is prob. having to give up to come over, its really quite similar, with three texas state schools and a private compared to three cali state schools and a private. And the other state schools the Pac is bringing has in state partners, just like the other Pac 10 teams would. Its really quite similar when you look at it.

I think it's a little more centrally located for Texas then in the PAC-10. The only "biased" move that has happened in the PAC-10 was the tournament in Staples Center every year. That only happened when the PAC-10 told UCLA that if they voted for the tournament, they'd hold in Los Angeles. The only two dissenting schools were then Stanford and Arizona. An odd assortment. The PAC-10 is on the same page very often
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #1694
Galaxy
Coordinator

The PAC-16 not having a championship game would look silly.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #1695
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it's a little more centrally located for Texas then in the PAC-10. The only "biased" move that has happened in the PAC-10 was the tournament in Staples Center every year. That only happened when the PAC-10 told UCLA that if they voted for the tournament, they'd hold in Los Angeles. The only two dissenting schools were then Stanford and Arizona. An odd assortment. The PAC-10 is on the same page very often

I completely agree, thats why the Pac 10 is raiding the conference that couldnt work out their issues or even agree they had issues. Hence why I said i could see it happening if roles were reversed and the Pac 10 was saddled with the issues the Big 12 has/had
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #1696
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

But would make total sense under the current BCS format.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #1697
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The difference is that Texas will be the top dog of their division in the Pac-16 and still wield a lot of power. If USC moved to the Big 12, they'd almost have to be in Texas' division for geography reasons - which would create a massive divisional power struggle with USC, Texas and potentially Oklahoma all in the same division.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #1698
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Why ugh? That's one of the most logical conference change/best fits I can imagine and it's one that I've thought made a great deal of sense for years.

I usually referred to it as "just trade Clemson for Vandy and everyone is better off" *(money not withstanding)

It would be hard as a Clemson fan to just shed a deeply entrenched hatred of the SEC.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #1699
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Seems if the SEC were legitimately interested in expanding, it would do so in order to maximize the financial impact of the conference and the distribution of the SEC Network which I'm sure will debut posthaste. As such, with 4 teams to grab, wouldn't it make the most sense to expand the conference's footprint the most?

(1) A Texas School (UT or TAMU)
(2) A North Carolina School (UNC)
(3) A Virginia School (VT)
(4) ??? Another Florida school?

If UF really hates Miami or Florida State, you invite the other one and leave the school left out to dangle in the wind.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #1700
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

kinda like the Big 10 not playing everyone nor having one either or calling themselves the Big 10 and having 11 teams.