Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #1651
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Meh - its maybe his 3rd best season. The Save stat is up there with RBI in terms of distorting performance from actual value.

Yeah, I know. But most people still look at it as a worthwhile accomplishment, so kudos to K-Rod.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #1652
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Well, the goal going into '08 was a Winning Season for the first time in a while.... Now sitting at 66-80, can the RedLegs somehow win their final 16 and achieve the basic goal that Dusty laid out before the season began?

66-80 right now?? WTF!!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #1653
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I know some won't give the record it's just due, but congrats to Frankie Rodriguez on passing Bobby Thigpen for the single season saves record.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #1654
MrBug708
Head Coach

Indeed, congrats to him. I wonder where it would rank on greatest season for a closer?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #1655
molson
General Manager

Great year - but I think it's a shame that teams STILL limit pitchers of this caliber to 60 innings a year. And a lot of those innings come when the team is winning by 2-3 runs, and almost ALL of those innings come with nobody on base when he comes in. It's a total waste of his talent. He's going to get MVP votes, which is a joke.

The closer role is stupid. It drives me crazy.

When a manager puts his best relief pitcher into a tie game in the 7th inning I think that someone's finally figured it out. But it's always an anomaly.

Last edited by molson : 09-14-2008 at 12:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #1656
Logan
Head Coach

Hey CR, my knowledge of K-Rod is basically his stats and your rants on him at different times during the season. With Wagner out next year, it's expected the Mets will make a run at him. Should I be nervous?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #1657
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Hey CR, my knowledge of K-Rod is basically his stats and your rants on him at different times during the season. With Wagner out next year, it's expected the Mets will make a run at him. Should I be nervous?

Yes and no. I'll start with the yes.

K-Rod has a very good (but not great fastball), a wicked forkball/slider that is his out pitch and one of the best of its kind in the league, and a change and curve he occasionally uses, but not nearly as mucha s the first two.

When he is throwing his heater with control and confidence, he is virtually unhittable a la World Series 2002. Hitters are torn between whether to expect the fastball or try to be prepared for that slider that's in the back of their mind. I can't tell you how often K-Rod seems to groove a fastball right down the pipe, easy as pie, and the hitter is frozen, can't swing, because he bet on the slider that pitch. He just stares at the ball hopelessly as it flies by.

Why is this a bad thing? Because K-Rod doesn't always have pinpoint control of his fastball, and he doesn't have enough heat or movement (about 95 mph) on it to make major league hitters miss all the time. When hitters see they don't have to worry about the fastball, they lay off the slider--which is almost always a ball and in the dirt. It's an intense pitch and hitters love to take a hack at it, and they almost always miss. Its late bite is incredible. But if you know the slider won't be a strike, and K-Rod's fastball is off, you can basically wait for your pitch or take the walk.

Also, K-Rod just always seems to put one or two guys on. Seeing him shut the door so often in the end, it just seems like he does it on purpose. Silly, I know, but if you watch him every day, you get the sense that he isn't always focused until the pressure is on. So the result is a cardiac situation every time he pitches (or so it seems). 1-2-3 innings are extremely rare.

He will also probably only sign for $13-15 M per year, because he thinks he's as good as Mariano (and that's what his agent is telling him), and he won't sign for less than 4-5 years. That's a ton of money to devote to a closer pitching limited innings (which is the primary reason the Angels will probably look elsewhere).

Also, a lot of people think his wild delivery will lead to longterm arm problems. Hasn't happened yet, but then, he's only 26. But he already has a lot of innings on that arm, for a reliever anyway.

Now, the reason not to be nervous. Start with the obvious. He gets the job done. Whether you like how he does it or not, it can't be argued that he shuts the door. He just does. I have already talked about hsi quality pitches. That's for real; he has that.

Next, he has pitched in all sorts of relief situations, and in high, high pressure spots like playoffs and World Series, and he has come through with flying colors. He thrives on pressure and crowds and noise, feeds off of it.

He's a very emotional guy, but the sort that grabs that emotion and focuses it into an angry determination that helps him on the mound.

His emotion will play well in New York. The fans will love him for it. Opponents will hate it, and his finger pointing to the sky and his displays of emotion when he fist pumps with a yell after getting a strikeout. New Yorkers are used to Joba, though, so this would be no biggie to them.

He is popular in the clubhouse, both among Hispanic and non-Hispanic players, and speaks English very well, almost unaccented, despite being from Venezuela. He WILL talk. That will play well in New York, too, and the papers will love it, but he'll probably say something mildly stupid or controversial at some point that people will comment on. He'll shrug and go on.

If that's your only real hole and you have $15 M in your budget to burn, there are few better ways to spend that money, IMO. But few teams are in the situation, and it's definitely an overpay. But so long as he's healthy and you have some Tums always available for his cardiac relief spots, he'll get the job done for you.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #1658
Logan
Head Coach

That was a healthy write-up. Thanks. A lot of my fellow Mets fans don't seem to understand that he has a downside, and I probably wouldn't either if not for threads like these.

We have a couple potential closers in the system, but none that will be ready for next year unfortunately. If they don't grab K-Rod, it will probably be the length of the deal that's the issue, for the reasons you stated.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #1659
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

The Mets need to overpay for KRod and I am optimistic they will.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #1660
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
The Mets need to overpay for KRod and I am optimistic they will.

You mean because Luis Ayala, with the team up 4-2 in the 9th, just gave up a 3-run PH HR to some stiff?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #1661
hoopsguy
General Manager

Anyone watching the Cubs?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #1662
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Anyone watching the Cubs?

I'm saying nothing!! Its not on TV here, I hope they break into the ESPN game to show the bottom of the 9th
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #1663
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I don't know what you guys are talking about. La dee da dee da.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #1664
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You mean because Luis Ayala, with the team up 4-2 in the 9th, just gave up a 3-run PH HR to some stiff?

No, because they don't have a real closer (Ayala was never the answer regardless of what he did today) and they do have money to burn
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #1665
hoopsguy
General Manager

I thought my question was innocuous enough

If I recall correctly, Z has had a couple of close calls in the past. Great to see him get the no-no.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #1666
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about. La dee da dee da.

Grats to Zambrano, that is so great to see.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #1667
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Man that was exciting. The first no-hitter I have ever watched. I was shaking.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #1668
hoopsguy
General Manager

How much of it did you guys see? I turned over to it in bottom of 5th, first batter I saw was the HBP. So I got to take in about 1/2 of it.

Barkeep went up to the game tonight - can't wait to talk to him about it.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #1669
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I've been watching the entire game, flipping between the game and the replay of Fringe.

My buddy was in the left field bleachers too, what an experience that must have been.

Last edited by Neuqua : 09-14-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #1670
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
How much of it did you guys see? I turned over to it in bottom of 5th, first batter I saw was the HBP. So I got to take in about 1/2 of it.

Barkeep went up to the game tonight - can't wait to talk to him about it.

Only the bottom of the 9th. It wasn't on here.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #1671
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Rats, I thought everyone was talking about the Phils 4 game sweep of the Brewers....
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #1672
JeeberD
General Manager

I knew I never should have stuck my fucking head into this thread the other day...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #1673
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Just announced during the Cubs game that the Brewers fired Yost. WTF? I mean ok if they don't make the playoffs by all means do it if you feel it should be done. But when you're tied for the wild card and could do some damage if you could somehow sweep the Cubs in the upcoming series. As a Cub fan and an outsider I don't get it.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #1674
hoopsguy
General Manager

Well, there is the little matter of back-to-back September collapses by the Brew crew last year and this year. Couple that with the jolt a couple of teams seem to have gotten with new managers (Blue Jays and Mets) and I'm guessing they are looking for something/anything to help them get into the postseason this year.

It has been something like 25 years since their last appearance. They aren't going to have CC next year and I think Sheets is a (restricted?) FA as well. If it isn't this year for Milwaukee, then when is it going to be?

That's the best argument I can come up with for axing him today, instead of after the season. Not sure I buy it, but maybe some Brewers fans can chime in with info on Yost + clubhouse that suggest why this had to happen.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #1675
MikeVic
Head Coach

Go Cito Gaston.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #1676
miami_fan
Coordinator

Rays have not "choke" away the AL East yet.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-16-2008 at 09:04 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #1677
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The big man strikes again!!!

He's got a chance at 50.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #1678
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The big man strikes again!!!

He's got a chance at 50.

I hope they ship you to India for good
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #1679
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Huge win for the Rays tonight!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #1680
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I hope they ship you to India for good

Old 09-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #1681
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Great year - but I think it's a shame that teams STILL limit pitchers of this caliber to 60 innings a year. And a lot of those innings come when the team is winning by 2-3 runs, and almost ALL of those innings come with nobody on base when he comes in. It's a total waste of his talent. He's going to get MVP votes, which is a joke.

The closer role is stupid. It drives me crazy.

When a manager puts his best relief pitcher into a tie game in the 7th inning I think that someone's finally figured it out. But it's always an anomaly.
I think some teams have actually figured this out. Detroit had Todd Jones as their "closer" when he clearly wasn't their best reliever and TB seems to be doing much the same thing with Percival. I still haven't seen anyone do it with a K-Rod or Papelbon, but it seems some managers intentionally don't name their best reliever the closer.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-16-2008 at 11:14 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #1682
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Considering how inflated power numbers are these days, there's a good chance the AL home run champ has under 40 this year and it's possible Ryan Howard is the only one in either league over 40.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #1683
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bochy is the new Dusty. Look at the pitcher stress numbers from Baseball Prospectus. Sabathia is #2 at 29 and Lincecum is #1 at 51!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=204015
Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #1684
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For a young pitcher, who has been referred to as "The Franchise", that's unconscionable.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #1685
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

And that stat tells us what exactly?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #1686
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, don't get me started. I want that oversized cranium the hell out of SF/
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #1687
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And that stat tells us what exactly?

It's a measure of stressful starts a through pitch counts. The real shock is the gap between #1 and #2.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #1688
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Again, that stat tells us what?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #1689
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's a measure of how some people either don't want to read or pay attention to what's been written.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #1690
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's a meaningless stat, it means nothing in the bottom line of things.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #1691
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Reveal yourself Dusty Baker!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #1692
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
For a young pitcher, who has been referred to as "The Franchise", that's unconscionable.

Particularly an injury prone one with a build that isn't ideal for a pitcher.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #1693
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
High pitch counts, pitching on short rest (and increases in workload) are linked to injury, particularly in young pitchers. CC Sabathia for example, is 29, in the middle of a pennant race and will not be on the Brewers next season.

Tim Lincecum is a 24y/o pitcher, future ace of the franchise, throwing 138 pitches in meaningless September games for a team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. He has never thrown more than like 160 innings in a season, and he's at 221 now. Possibly in a futile effort to win him a Cy Young or keep fans coming to the ballpark. (Matt Cain is also top 5 in PAP.)

Maybe his space-age delivery keeps him injury-free, but past examples like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood suggest it's unconscionable to be risking such a valuable long-term asset for absolutely no gain this month. Aaron Harang is another example
Quote:
Until May 25th:

78.2 innings, 3.32 era .721 OPSa with a 1.194 whip

May 25th, Red-Padres extra inning game when on 2 days rest Harang throws 4 innings, 67 pitches.
Since May 25th:

77.1 innings, 7.07 era .996 OPSa with a 1.675 whip.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #1694
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Particularly an injury prone one with a build that isn't ideal for a pitcher.

SI
The one defense of the Giants is that he's shown nothing (other than being short) to indicate he's particularly injury-prone.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #1695
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shit, if I paid that much in trade for CC, I'd definitely be pitching him till his arm fell off.

Anyways, they need a fan abuse pitcher stress metric. One can only take so much of Ian Snell.

And while I'm at it, is it safe to say that John Van Benschoten is one of the worst pitchers in major league history yet?

90 IP, 2.14 Whip, 9.20 ERA
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #1696
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

For some reason BP adapting hurricane rating terminology to pitch counts amused me.

Nice K/BB ratio for Benschoten there. They don't have anyone better than that somewhere in the organization?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #1697
MikeVic
Head Coach

If you look at his career earnings, it looks like he's been playing for free in 2007 and 2008.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #1698
korme
Go Reds

John Van Benschoten went to my HS!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #1699
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

And while I'm at it, is it safe to say that John Van Benschoten is one of the worst pitchers in major league history yet?

90 IP, 2.14 Whip, 9.20 ERA

He should have never been a pitcher to begin with. Especially after he tore his labrum and rotator cuff in '04, but by that time the Pirates probably thought major arm surgery was typical for young pitchers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #1700
Mike1409
High School Varsity

I have the stub from the game that the Rays clinched their first ever playoff appearance!!!!!!!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote