Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #1651
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Aaaaaaannd.. they probably lost me. Do I really want a band that can play all different styles?

Some of the greatest bands of all time, such as Queen, did just that. Bands that have range are just as valid as bands that strictly hold to a musical genre.

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-10-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #1652
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Right. Queen did everything from show tunes to C&W to metal? There's a difference between branching out as a band to different genres over a career and doing something completely different every week.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #1653
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Hopefully, polka, folk, speed metal, and techno will be some of the required genres. I really don't see how you can have a band competition over different genres -- the essence of a band is its genre.

Yeah, if this were the case Mr. Bungle would win.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #1654
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, I'm not really sure it is an accurate reflection of who should win a band competition that X band sounded "out of its element" doing country music when, in fact, they play jazz fusion or something. Unless you're going to have a bunch of Faith No More-type bands that can pull off different genres pretty well, which ain't going to happen. Then again, is there really any point to LaKisha or Chris Daughtry or Bucky Covington types singing anything other than what they're obviously comfortable with and want to sing?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #1655
Ksyrup

More bits and pieces info:

Speaking of Sanjaya, it looks like he’s a front runner to be one of 5 contestants in the VH1 reality show I Love New York 2.

In other Season 6 news, last week, Idol Chatter reported that Top 24 contestant, Sundance Head signed a record deal with Universal. Pretty good.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #1656
Ksyrup

I don't think there's much confidence that these are correct, but here is some spoiler info for tonight's show:

Spoiler
Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #1657
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Sad news today. Rory is off to sit on Barak Obama's bus, and she is no longer a Stars Hollow resident. And that's officially the start of Hollywood's Obama for President campaign.

Sorry, Hillary, all that Bloodsworth-Thomason work for naught. The media has dubbed you "The HillDog." I know how you feel. I dubbed the Carolina franchise in Front Office Football the HillCats. I was intending it as a compliment, but out of all the nicknames in the game, that one is the only one that has drawn complaints.

Yeah, I know, Hillary, they loved you when you were baking cookies and standing by your man with long golden hair, a teenage daughter and a ready smile. But you've aged, your daughter is earning $5 million trading insider stocks and no one believes you've gotten down and dirty with the Billster since the days when we thought the "Y2K bug" was going to kill millions and destroy our way of life. They hate our freedom.

It's sexist as all hell. A woman is still defined by her looks and by her man. You are middle-aged, not so cute any more, and your man prefers chubby Jewish 20-somethings wearing thongs and dresses from the Gap's "Slutty Ingenue" collection.

Look at Lorelai Gilmore. She had Rory in her teens, now she's barely touching 40, can still fit into a size 0 and is running a successful bed-and-breakfast that media superstar Christiane Amanpour finds quaint and refreshing. Yet the show must end with her in Luke's arms. Even Lorelai is defined by her man. You lost the presidency the day Miss Lewinsky performed magic with a cigar and a smile.

And that's where we are on American Idol right now. You knew I was getting there. We have two young women who aren't classic beauties going up against one young man who makes the teeny-boppers' hearts go pitter-patter. Women are defined by their looks, men by something else.

Tonight was round-of-three day. The first song was chosen by the judges, the second by some old guy named Clive and the third one by the contestants.

I'm happy with how the season has gone, so far. I think there's only one singer who has been eliminated who may deserve a spot in the final three above those who remain. That's the girl who took a chance with some extensive scatting back in week 2: Leslie Hunt. She listed Imogen Heap and Zero 7 as influences in her music - how could I not want her around? But who knows how she would have held up. I could still tolerate Chris Richardson back then. The voters have done very well.

The round of three is designed to take us away from the theme weeks and get the contestants singing what they sing best. It was refreshing to hear, though I don't think any of them will record anything I'll be buying in the future. On to the rankings:

1. Melinda Doolittle. Randy chose a tough Whitney Houston song for her, and while she didn't hit it out the park, she was credible. It's a song that would have destroyed 90% of the contestants they've ever had on the show, and Melinda only made it a tiny bit boring. Score of 88 for difficulty.

At Clive's request, she rocked out to Tina Turner. Again, she didn't hit it out of the park, but she was credible. Who is Melinda Doolittle? Rangy, kinda homely, she seems sweet but mature, and that comes out in her singing. When she rocks out, she pulls it off, yet you know she's only acting. I wonder what she will record when she's done with this. Thirteen weeks in, and I'm still wondering, but I think she's got the second-best voice they've ever had on this show. Score of 90.

Finally, she went back to the Woman song she did early in the competition, the one we were introduced to in some long-ago commercial about some long-forgotten product where some sex-kitten model comes home from work and pretends she knows how to cook and clean house. Kinda like Hillary, without the sex kitten part. "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget that the national health care system's in shambles." So, Melinda does that song really well, no need to say that again. Score of 91. She wins the night.

2. Blake Lewis. Paula, despite her alcohol-addled appearance, does have a very good sense of the music industry. I believe she could produce. And I think she made a good choice for Blake in giving him the Police standard Roxanne. Blake trended it up a bit, but I think his usual strong instincts on arrangements abandoned him with the choruses, which showed what is wrong with his voice rather than what Paula had intended to show works well with his voice. Blake needs to accent what he has, because the gimmicks won't give you hot-selling recordings. Score of 71 for missing the boat.

Clive went the safe route and gave Blake a Maroon-5 song that was already designed for his kind of sound. Blake did a nice job, but the beat-boxing was a little odd - the same exact sound he's done before. I don't know. If you're going to make your schtick imitating machines, which really won't carry over well into the recording business, at least gain a repertoire of a few dozen machines. I liked it, didn't love it. Score of 75.

For his own choice, Blake picked a remake of Walter Murphy's A Fifth of Beethoven that's recently been recorded by someone else with lyrics - can't remember who did it. It was an excellent choice for him, exactly the stuff that's in his wheelhouse. What he didn't see in Clive's choice or Paula's choice, he saw in his own choice, and the result was a good Blake performance - a reminder that he does belong in the final three, though maybe no further. Score of 88.

3. Jordin Sparks. Simon kinda dropped the ball here, giving her a performance song from Rose Royce that didn't have the necessary complexity. I thought she was good, just a little boring. Score of 79.

Clive screwed up, too, and served up something very similar from Donna Summer. I think Clive and the judges need to work together on this. Jordin stumbled badly here. She was breathy, it was the only song tonight that sounded karaoke. It just wasn't her night. Score of 65.

Jordin went back to her British Invasion song "I Who Have Nothing," that she earned rave reviews for earlier this season. This is a nice song for her, shows off her talents perfectly. She's maybe a bit tired, though. I didn't get a sense she was interpreting the song. It was the weakest of the three personal-choice songs. Score of 86.

Average Scores this season: Melinda 90, Jordin 79, Blake 76.
Who Should Go: Blake.
Who Will Go: Jordin, based on Simon's strong push for Melinda.

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #1658
Ksyrup

That song Blake did was by Robin Thicke, the uni-gender thing who probably doesn't love hockey as much as his dad.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #1659
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That song Blake did was by Robin Thicke, the uni-gender thing who probably doesn't love hockey as much as his dad.

Robin Thicke has a smoking hot wife.

Paula Patton from Idlewild and Hitch.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #1660
Danny
Head Coach

I'm still a big Blake fan. I put all of his performances on my itunes and enjoy listening to them often. The only other idol performers I did that with were Bo and Daughtry.

Last edited by Danny : 05-16-2007 at 04:11 AM.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #1661
Ksyrup

Robin Thicke's wife should shave his mustache while he's sleeping.

That song Thicke performed was such a mess, I couldn't tell if it was the same one Blake sang last night or not.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #1662
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
When she rocks out, she pulls it off, yet you know she's only acting. I wonder what she will record when she's done with this. Thirteen weeks in, and I'm still wondering, but I think she's got the second-best voice they've ever had on this show.

I think this boils it down to why I'm so lukewarm about Melinda. And I don't just limit it to "rocking out" - pretty much everything she does she interprets well, but in an obvious acting fashion. That's why she would be perfect for Vegas or Broadway. She doesn't have that "pop act" sense, like Gwen Stefani has, where she can be someone totally different on stage, but in a relevant, authentic, edgy way (and keep in mind I can't stand Stefani, but the difference in her performances and Melinda's are obvious).

I have to think Blake is staying based on simple demographics. And I hope Melinda makes it because Simon's right - she deserves it for putting on a consistently above-average performance every week. The voting on Dialidol is pretty close, though. I didn't watch the finale last year, and I probably wouldn't mind skipping it this year if we end up with 2 R&B singers against each other. Blech. At least they'll be perfectly suited for the crap song they have to sing.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #1663
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Robin Thicke has a smoking hot wife.

I think his wife needs a bit of a shave.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #1664
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think his wife needs a bit of a shave.

Hey Ya?!?!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #1665
Ksyrup

I forgot to ask if anyone heard what I thought I heard...when Melinda got news of the song Randy picked for her, did I hear her call him Randy Johnson? That's what it sounded like.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #1666
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I forgot to ask if anyone heard what I thought I heard...when Melinda got news of the song Randy picked for her, did I hear her call him Randy Johnson? That's what it sounded like.
Yes. Yes, you did. When we heard it at my house, this is how the conversation went:

- My Wife
- Pumpy

- Did she just say Randy Johnson?
- Yes. Randy Johnson is a baseball player.
- I didn't see any baseball players around.
- Yeah, and he's 6-foot-10. You can't miss him. He used to play for the team that we're going to see this weekend.
- That's pretty funny!
- Hmm. It looks like he went back to Arizona, so we might see him this weekend playing against the Pirates!
- Yay! I can't wait!

So now my wife is looking forward to seeing Randy Johnson, even though she has no idea who he is.

Edit: THANKS, AMERICAN IDOL!

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-16-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #1667
Ksyrup

I'm sure the connection is that Randy Jackson worked with Randy Johnson on something. His slider, probably. Thanks to him, The Big Unit's slider was OFF DA HOOK!

He also blew that bird OUT DA BOX during spring training.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #1668
Danny
Head Coach

the politician with Melinda read Randy Johnson from the letter by mistake and then corrected himself. Melinda was actually being funny and taking a subtle jab at the politician.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #1669
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Kinda like Hillary, without the sex kitten part. "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget that the national health care system's in shambles."

Best line of the thread!
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #1670
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
the politician with Melinda read Randy Johnson from the letter by mistake and then corrected himself. Melinda was actually being funny and taking a subtle jab at the politician.
Oh. Well, that takes like two-thirds of the fun out of it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #1671
JeeberD
General Manager

My wife and I were confused at first, but after a rewind or two we figured out what was going on...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #1672
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jordin's performance of "I Who Have Nothing" ranks right up there with my favorite Idol performances ever. Even if Simon can't get past the fact that its 60 years old. So I was glad she chose that one to sing again. Sadly it probably won't be enough to save her this week. Thinking it will be Melinda vs Blake in the finals, even though Blake was the weakest of the three last night in my opinion.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #1673
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The DVR cut out Simon's comments after the final 2 were revealed. My wife wants to know what he said. Can anyone help out?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #1674
Ksyrup

He just congratulated the final two and told Melinda she was a great singer.

The wife and I thought that when Seacrest went to break before the Melinda segment, and he said something like, "After the break, Maroon 5 and Melinda goes home," that there was a good possibility that was intentional and had a double meaning. I guess we were right.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #1675
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The DVR cut out Simon's comments after the final 2 were revealed. My wife wants to know what he said. Can anyone help out?

Ditto.. I went to live TV, but it cut out a second or two in the middle..

Essentially he said "Melinda, you're amazing"...

On the results - I have to say, this makes me look forward to the finals much more. I know many will say this shows that Idol is sham, but imo last year proved that more than this year. Anyone who still thinks this show is a "singing competition" is delusional imo. The bigger travesty to me was a guy who was clearly not going to do anything after the show beating out people who very obviously would be successes after the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #1676
Ksyrup

Not surprising to me that the only real male talent and a 17-year old girl who sang the same style as the less attractive, older, fuddy-duddy made the finals. My wife was shocked, but once he announced Jordin made it, I was fairly certain Blake was in. Jordin and Melinda split the votes. I think Jordin wins in a landslide (not that we'll ever know the votes). I think 90% of Melinda's fans will vote for Jordin.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-16-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #1677
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Not surprising to me that the only real male talent and a 17-year old girl who sang the same style as the less attractive, older, fuddy-duddy made the finals. My wife was shocked, but once he announced Jordin made it, I was fairly certain Blake was in. Jordin and Melinda split the votes. I think Jordin wins in a landslide (not that we'll ever know the votes). I think 90% of Melinda's fans will vote for Jordin.

Agreed. And I think Jordin should win at this point.

Melinda will fade away, put out an album that won't sell - meanwhile Blake and Jordin will (i believe) have very successful careers.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 05-16-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #1678
Ksyrup

BTW, I'm not sure I would have recognized Elliott Yamin if he wasn't introduced. The new teeth and hair made him look like a totally different person. In fact, the teeth really took away the "character" in his face. I know that character made him look like a troll, but still.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #1679
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

It's about time. Third was perfect for Melinda. She gets it for pure singing ability - the best in the bunch. But her lack of personality, stage presence and fondness for old songs doesn't warrant her to be in the final 2. I'd have to say America got the final 2 dead on.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #1680
Schmidty
Coordinator

Jordin is more cliche' and boring than Melinda could ever be. She'd be great as a Disney Channel personality. Basically, she's a Celine Dion wannabe, who should be competently singing "A Whole New World" as Belle in a touring off-Broadway production of "Beauty and the Beast".

I guess that's what they'll be shooting for with her first album - 14 year old girls. I'm sure they'll make money, but it doesn't mean that Jordin deserves to win.

I just don't think a lot of people here get it, and it makes me shake my head.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #1681
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW, I'm not sure I would have recognized Elliott Yamin if he wasn't introduced. The new teeth and hair made him look like a totally different person. In fact, the teeth really took away the "character" in his face. I know that character made him look like a troll, but still.

Agreed. I wouldn't have recognized him either. I think I preferred his old look.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 AM   #1682
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Ditto.. I went to live TV, but it cut out a second or two in the middle..

Essentially he said "Melinda, you're amazing"...

On the results - I have to say, this makes me look forward to the finals much more. I know many will say this shows that Idol is sham, but imo last year proved that more than this year. Anyone who still thinks this show is a "singing competition" is delusional imo. The bigger travesty to me was a guy who was clearly not going to do anything after the show beating out people who very obviously would be successes after the show.

J-Lo, Britney Spears, etc.

The real life music business isn't a singing competition either! There's that "something" that people are looking for in AI that makes them successful, and unfortunately this does not even necessarily translate into post-Idol success.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #1683
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Jordin is more cliche' and boring than Melinda could ever be. She'd be great as a Disney Channel personality. Basically, she's a Celine Dion wannabe, who should be competently singing "A Whole New World" as Belle in a touring off-Broadway production of "Beauty and the Beast".

I guess that's what they'll be shooting for with her first album - 14 year old girls. I'm sure they'll make money, but it doesn't mean that Jordin deserves to win.

I don't think we're watching the same show.

Quote:
Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #1684
Kevin
High School JV

I became a big Melinda fan over the competition. This is probably the best thing that could have happened. By finishing third, she probably gets to choose her own record deal and thus gain some artistic freedom.

I hope her choice is to put out some of the rawer sound rather than the boring stuff that passes for "in" music these days. It would be fantastic if she did some blues like her final song on a record as she reminded me of Koko Taylor during parts of that song.

I won't be buying Blake's music as I can't stand beat box, but he should be successful with it for a while. He may have the worst trouble with producers as they won't let him take some of the risks he did on the show.

Jordin is inconsistent but deserves a shot because she has a huge development upside. As her voice matures and she receives more training, she can be as good as Melinda. I thought she did nail the song Simon hated, as she put some real feeling into it.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #1685
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I think Jordin wins in a landslide (not that we'll ever know the votes). I think 90% of Melinda's fans will vote for Jordin.

I don't know...if Taylor was able to beat McPhee because of the female vote last year, I think Blake has a definite shot. Of course, Jordin's age will help her with the teenie-bopper crowd.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #1686
Ksyrup

Quote:

We don't get it?! Dude, this show is about finding a pop idol - you know, the next generation Shaun Cassidy/Debbie Gibson type pop singer? They've failed to a large extent to find another Kelly Clarkson in the past few seasons, but Blake and Jordin fit that 'idol' description better than most of the finalists they've had on this show. And there's no way Jordin is wrestling the Disney Channel/Celine Dion title away from Haley. Not to mention, she's more versatile and a lot younger, so she will get better and more mature.

14-year old girls is exactly the audience for a pop idol. I guarantee either (or both) of these finalists will outsell Taylor, McPhee, and Melinda combined. Heck, Sanjaya will probably outsell them all!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #1687
Ksyrup

The only thing that I think will save Blake from his gimmicks is that he seems to have a great sense of what works for him, from style to song choice. I just think the beat box thing is extremely gimmicky and limiting, and could potentially make him a flash in the pan. I mean, what someone like Bobby McFerrin does is cool and all, but basically 1 hit song and everyone was like, "OK, we've heard that before. We don't need to hear it again." I could see Blake going the same route.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #1688
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I think Blake has a definite shot. Of course, Jordin's age will help her with the teenie-bopper crowd.

I think Blake has more of an edge there, if not more.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #1689
Ksyrup

Interesting info considering the interview was before last night:

This week’s TV Week interview with Nigel Lythgoe. Download here.
  • Nigel says he thinks it was the best Top 3 that they’ve ever had, and, “The most talent they’ve had on that stage in a long time.”
  • While Nigel was careful to spread the praise around evenly he said that the two females could split the vote to leave a male in the race.
  • He thinks Jordin Sparks should be the next American Idol and was a little disturbed at Simon’s critical attitude toward her last night.
  • Initially, the Maroon 5 song did not get cleared. Nigel claims they relented when Blake called them up personally to ask permission to sing the song.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #1690
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree with his first comment. I know some have said there are no breakout stars, but I think for overall talent, last night's top 3 was the best of any season.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #1691
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Is there any truth to the rumor that Blake will duet next week with the weird noises guy from the Police Academy movies?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #1692
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Is there any truth to the rumor that Blake will duet next week with the weird noises guy from the Police Academy movies?

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #1693
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

THE Michael Winslow.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #1694
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
We don't get it?! Dude, this show is about finding a pop idol - you know, the next generation Shaun Cassidy/Debbie Gibson type pop singer? They've failed to a large extent to find another Kelly Clarkson in the past few seasons, but Blake and Jordin fit that 'idol' description better than most of the finalists they've had on this show. And there's no way Jordin is wrestling the Disney Channel/Celine Dion title away from Haley. Not to mention, she's more versatile and a lot younger, so she will get better and more mature.

14-year old girls is exactly the audience for a pop idol. I guarantee either (or both) of these finalists will outsell Taylor, McPhee, and Melinda combined. Heck, Sanjaya will probably outsell them all!

Very well put.

Quote:
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #1695
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I don't think we're watching the same show.

I think we are; however, we're coming from different backgrounds and understandings of music.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #1696
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

14-year old girls is exactly the audience for a pop idol.

Good point.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #1697
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think we are; however, we're coming from different backgrounds and understandings of music.

To be clear - neither KSyrup or myself are saying that Blake or Jordin are better SINGERS than Melinda, just that they are better American Idols and will do far better commercially in the "main stream".

Quote:
Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 AM   #1698
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I became a big Melinda fan over the competition. This is probably the best thing that could have happened. By finishing third, she probably gets to choose her own record deal and thus gain some artistic freedom.

Problem with that is I don't think Melinda has a style of her own. The whole season she's been showing that she has great vocals, but you have no idea what kind of album she'd write if given the chance. I'm pretty sure that it won't sell, but I'm also pretty sure that it will show a real lack of direction and focus on her part.

Jordin is easy, give her the generic AI pop-star song list and she'll run with it. And Blake needs to be given the freedom to write his own stuff, if they force him into the generic pop stuff it'll be a disaster.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #1699
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Problem with that is I don't think Melinda has a style of her own. The whole season she's been showing that she has great vocals, but you have no idea what kind of album she'd write if given the chance. I'm pretty sure that it won't sell, but I'm also pretty sure that it will show a real lack of direction and focus on her part.

I agree. That's why she's been a back-up singer - it's not that she can't sing or even perform. It's just that she doesn't have a style of her own nor a personality that fits within mainstream pop. Honestly, she needs to be doing exactly what Fantasia is doing...go to Broadway. That's where her performance skills and ability to take on whatever they give her will translate best. She can sell a story through her vocals and performance; but pop music, to a large extent, is based on the ability of the singer to sell herself, and she's got none of that ability.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-18-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #1700
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

What is your background in understanding of music?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote