Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #1651
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't understand the Ducks dealings at this deadline. Seems they have moved some decent prospects, got some decent prospects back, moved some vets to get some vets back. I don't really see a direction in all of it, plus they didn't get anything for Pronger. Also didn't get nearly enough for Montador who I would have liked to see us at least take a run at resigning next year.

I like the defenseman from Chicago whose name I can't pronounce and the rest of it is just very blah. The two prospects we traded away seem better than anything we got back. Is the German goalie from SJ any good? Is he better than Hiller potentially? I doubt it somehow.

Maybe CR can shed some light on it when he gets online later. For now I'm just very uninspired and unimpressed with the way things went down.

Wish I had some light to shed, but not sure I do. Really, just seems like an indecisive front office, although I like that no one they got back is old.

Glad to see the responses on Nokie. Does sound like a checking forward replacement for Pahlsson. I didn't know what to make of that one, because I like Montador, too. I am hoping we bring him back this offseason, assuming we move Pronger.

Wisniewski and Christensen are decent younger pickups, too. No one over 24 picked up today, I believe. We traded some prospects, but not our top ones (although I liked O'Dell's upside, much like Tangredi last week).

I have no idea about the prospects we have received. Can anyone enlighten me on the San Jose prospects we got, or the Chicago guy we got (not Wis, the other one).

I think Pronger came down to the team feeling they could get more for him in the offseason. I tend to agree, although I really would have liked to sneak Kessel out of Boston.

Ducks are probably a little worse right now because of the vet talent moved, but it's not like they're devoid of tested talent, still with several players who hoisted the Cup two years ago on the team. And they added somw decent young talent (although Whitney looks like the best of them, and that was a deal I didn't like).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #1652
duff88
College Prospect

So there are times where I'm annoyed by Guy Carbonneau's coaching decisions with the Montreal Canadiens.

One of the problems is the handling of Andrei Kostitsyn. The Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev hasn't worked at all through the year. Two weeks ago, Kovalev was given a two-games pause. During that time, Kostitsyn and Plekanec played with rookie Max Pacioretty. In those two games, Kostitsyn scored twice and added three assists for five points. When Kovalev came back, he was put back with Plekanec and Kostitsyn; Andrei has since then went scoreless for five games.

Andrei Kostitsyn thrives when he's the go-to-guy on his line. He needs to have the confidence that he is the guy who will carry the puck into the zone and not think twice before firing his shot. Furthermore, he makes the most of his chances coming off the right wing even though he plays on the left. When he's with Kovalev, he rarely crosses to that right wing, making him that much more inneffective.

Not convinced? Here's a stat that should:

9 points in 31 games on a line with Alex Kovalev
29 points in 29 games on a line without Alex Kovalev

Last edited by duff88 : 03-05-2009 at 12:00 AM.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #1653
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
So there are times where I'm annoyed by Guy Carbonneau's coaching decisions with the Montreal Canadiens.

One of the problems is the handling of Andrei Kostitsyn. The Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev hasn't worked at all through the year. Two weeks ago, Kovalev was given a two-games pause. During that time, Kostitsyn and Plekanec played with rookie Max Pacioretty. In those two games, Kostitsyn scored twice and added three assists for five points. When Kovalev came back, he was put back with Plekanec and Kostitsyn; Andrei has since then went scoreless for five games.

Andrei Kostitsyn thrives when he's the go-to-guy on his line. He needs to have the confidence that he is the guy who will carry the puck into the zone and not think twice before firing his shot. Furthermore, he makes the most of his chances coming off the right wing even though he plays on the left. When he's with Kovalev, he rarely crosses to that right wing, making him that much more inneffective.

Not convinced? Here's a stat that should:

9 points in 31 games on a line with Alex Kovalev
29 points in 29 games on a line without Alex Kovalev

As a Sabres fan, I really enjoyed Carbonneau's coaching decisions yesterday! :P
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #1654
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
That is a bonus, but that said, let's see if MacT can do to these two 20 goal scorers what he's done to Lupul, Penner and Cole.

Other benefit is that I'd assume Tambellini had to be leading the way in the trade talks as hadn't Buffalo said they wouldn't deal with Lowe?

I'm definitely surprised that Buffalo made a deal with Edmonton after the whole Vanek fiasco a couple years back. You're right...Tambellini must have spearheaded the trade talks for the Oilers.

I have a feeling you're ultimately going to be disappointed with Kotalik. I actually like the guy, as he wears his heart on his sleeve but he's practically useless in a 5 on 5 capacity. He doesn't play like a guy who is over six feet tall and weighs over 220 lbs - he just goes up and down his wing and you'll never see him within five feet of the net, unless it's a shootout.

That said, he's a tremendous asset on the point on the powerplay and has one of, if not the best slapshot in the entire league. He's also one of the best shootout performers in the game, equally adept at roofing a backhander as he is with beating the goalie on a straight wrist shot. He can win games for you there.

But you'll come away wanting more 5 on 5.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #1655
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I understand why the Flyers made the trades they did, but at the same time I'm not too thrilled with them. They traded Upshall for Carcillo as a cap move. Carcillo makes about 400k less than Upshall...now if a defenseman gets hurt they do not have to keep sending Giroux down for cap reasons. I just don't get why they had to throw in the 2nd rounder.

Upshall most likely wouldn't have been with them next year because he's an RFA with a 1.2 million dollar salary right now. He'll probably get some sort of raise. McLaren was just for defensive depth. They lost Vaanenen on the waiver wire so they needed some depth incase someone got hurt. McLaren will just stay in the AHL and maybe come up for the playoffs since there is no cap in the playoffs.

I wanted them to get JBow...but not for what Florida was asking. Two offers i have heard were...

Matt Carle, Joffrey Lupul, JVR (2007 #2 overall pick)and a pick,
Brayden Coburn, Claude Giroux, salary filler, and a pick
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #1656
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
I'm definitely surprised that Buffalo made a deal with Edmonton after the whole Vanek fiasco a couple years back. You're right...Tambellini must have spearheaded the trade talks for the Oilers.

I have a feeling you're ultimately going to be disappointed with Kotalik. I actually like the guy, as he wears his heart on his sleeve but he's practically useless in a 5 on 5 capacity. He doesn't play like a guy who is over six feet tall and weighs over 220 lbs - he just goes up and down his wing and you'll never see him within five feet of the net, unless it's a shootout.

That said, he's a tremendous asset on the point on the powerplay and has one of, if not the best slapshot in the entire league. He's also one of the best shootout performers in the game, equally adept at roofing a backhander as he is with beating the goalie on a straight wrist shot. He can win games for you there.

But you'll come away wanting more 5 on 5.

Thanks for the insight. I wonder if playing with Hemsky, sounds like they're buddies as Hemsky was actually the one who called him to let him know the deal was done, could motivate him a little bit? I do think he'll help on the PP giving Hemsky another viable pass target to go along with Souray.

Can't wait to see the "new" team tonight.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #1657
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
While I can't speak confidently about the rest of the players Anaheim received, I would say that Petteri Nokelainen for Steve Montador is probably an even swap.

Nokelainen is a checking forward in every sense of the word. He has almost no offensive game to speak of--amongst Bruins forwards that played at least 30 games this season, Nokelainen took a team-low 30 shots on goal. While I realize he isn't supposed to score tons of goals he just never seemed to have much offensive instincts in Boston. He could still improve his game in the next couple of years but I think he's a role player with limited upside, which is how I view Montador, too.

I think the Ducks will "win" the James Wisniewski deal, assuming he recovers fully from the knee injury. I always enjoyed watching him play due to the 110% effort he seemed to give, even this season when he was relegated to the #5/6 role on D because of last year's injury. It's obvious he isn't that close to 100% yet, but if anyone is going to put in the work to get healthy, it will be Wiz-new-ski.

I understand the Hawks needed to cut some salary, but I was hoping they would give JW a year or so to recover. Oh well, they needed someone tough for the playoffs I guess...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #1658
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wisniewski and Christensen are decent younger pickups, too. No one over 24 picked up today, I believe. We traded some prospects, but not our top ones (although I liked O'Dell's upside, much like Tangredi last week).

Enjoy Crusher driving you nuts. The guy has tons of skill, very smooth and never panics with the puck (he's money in the shootout).

But, he just has never put it together. The thought was he was miscast in Pittsburgh, behind Sid and Geno, playing on the bottom 2 lines, or being bounced between wing and center.

I hate to give any player the 'no heart' tag, but sometimes you just wonder if he's in the game. All the tools, but no toolbox to carry them in.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #1659
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina's results the past five games: L at Ottawa, 4-2, SOW vs Buffalo, 2-1, L at Atlanta, 5-3 (after leading 3-1 with 10 minutes to go, no less), W at Washington, 5-2, W vs Calgary 6-1.

Makes a ton of sense to me.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #1660
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We may not make the playoffs. We may be headed for a retooling/short rebuild (at most, one hopes). But at least we have this guy, and he should end up with the Calder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFAkCQypSU

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-08-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #1661
samifan24
Pro Starter

Bobby Ryan is sick. If he's this good now, how much better will he be two seasons from now?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #1662
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ryan is sick. He's really the one bright spot to come out of this season. He's Getzlaf with a better scoring touch. I think I've said it before but he turned into a completely different player than I thought he would be - I thought he would be more of a power forward in the NHL, but he's actually a great skater as you can see from that clip.

I also like the Wisniewski trade a lot after seeing him play last night. I think we got a steal right there. Very solid and someone who should fit right into to the team mentality.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #1663
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Not sure if this would be some sort of record, but 12 players with multi-goal games today (with SJ and VAN still to go)

Recchi 2G for Boston
Sean Bergenheim hat trick for the Isles
Alfredsson and Nick Foligno 2G apiece for OTT
Nash HT and Umberger 2G for Columbus (Did Osgood vow to never play for DET again after being left on the ice for 7 GA??)
Kyle Brodziak 2 for EDM
Lupul 2 for Philly
David Backes 2 for STL
David Booth HT for Florida
Eric Staal with 4 (and 6 pts total) and Tuomo Ruutu with 2 (and 5 pts total) for the Canes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #1664
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Eric Staal with 4 (and 6 pts total) and Tuomo Ruutu with 2 (and 5 pts total) for the Canes

It's remarkable what an impact Cole has had in just the two games since being traded back. He was immediately placed on the first line with Staal and Ruutu and that line was on fire in both games (yes, Tampa is drivel, but nine goals in a game is still a big feat in the modern NHL). Cole's assist to Staal on the second goal tonight was a thing of beauty.

On back-to-back nights, Carolina has outscored Calgary and Tampa Bay 15-4. Throw in the Washington game before the trade deadline and it's 20-6 over three games. Amazingly enough, in spite of this eruption of offense, Carolina still has given up more goals than it has scored this season (189-192).
Old 03-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #1665
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey Suburban Rhythm,

How you liking Kuni so far? I can't imagine him going to a team and that team's fans not immediately start liking him, but then, Kuni's only ever been on my team, so what do I know?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #1666
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey Suburban Rhythm,

How you liking Kuni so far? I can't imagine him going to a team and that team's fans not immediately start liking him, but then, Kuni's only ever been on my team, so what do I know?

3 goals in 6 games doesn't hurt his chances either.

Thursday was the first game he played with Crosby, and they didn't really click, but it's one game.

He's exactly what this team was missing when Malone, Ruutu, Roberts and, I guess, Adam Hall, left in the offseason. There are a couple guys like Cooke and Tyler Kennedy who are bitches to play against, but not enough.

Kunitz should be that guy to replace Malone in the top 6-- skilled enough to play in the top 6, but play a 3rd line style game.

I think today will give him a big chance to endear himself to Pittsburgh fans even further. Last season, when Ovechking was doing his running around etc, Malone or Roberts would have knocked him on his ass, even if it was after the whistle. Nobody has done it yet this season. Today is Kunitz chance.

But yeah, he's already there. I work in town near the arena, and once in awhile will take a walk to the team shop. I get we are in the age of warp speed, but there was a stack of black and god #14 t-shirts, another stack of powder blue t-shirts, and a few jerseys on the rack early last week.

Side note-- Didn't Kunitz play a handful of games (under 5 I am guessing) in Atlanta his rookie year? I though it was one of those things were they tried to send him to the A, Atlanta picked him up, tried the same thing, and Anaheim picked him off of waivers again.

Has Crusher Christensen broken your heart yet?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #1667
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rick Nash pretty much owns the Red Wings. He is disgusting. Columbus is the one team I really don't want to face in the playoffs. Never been to the post season, play a great defensive game, and have the hottest goalie in the NHL right now, all going along with the biggest freak on skates, Rick Nash.

Christ they're scary.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #1668
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Rick Nash pretty much owns the Red Wings. He is disgusting. Columbus is the one team I really don't want to face in the playoffs. Never been to the post season, play a great defensive game, and have the hottest goalie in the NHL right now, all going along with the biggest freak on skates, Rick Nash.

Christ they're scary.

The Jackets are a strange brew right now. I can't quite figure out if they have enough to make it into the playoffs, as it seems that Hitch is doing what he usually does, run his #1 goalie into the ground. On top of that, they get away from their game, which is get pucks deep and 'check the puck back'. Thursday night, Nashville dominated the Jackets and beat them 4-2.

However, they come back last night, put some pressure on Detroit's D and force turnovers and put the pucks past Osgood. Nash was a force, Mason played his best game in a couple of weeks (great toe save on Franzen was huge, kept the game at 2-0) and Vermette has been a great fit so far, playing PP and PK.

All that said, especially with how tight the West is, I'm not sure they get in. Maybe its because they've never made the playoffs, but I just don't know.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #1669
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Side note-- Didn't Kunitz play a handful of games (under 5 I am guessing) in Atlanta his rookie year? I though it was one of those things were they tried to send him to the A, Atlanta picked him up, tried the same thing, and Anaheim picked him off of waivers again.

Damned good memory, two games it was, although it was 05-06, his second season in the league after playing in 21 games for the Ducks in 03-04.
Chris Kunitz's hockey statistics profile at hockeydb.com
Old 03-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #1670
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Damned good memory, two games it was, although it was 05-06, his second season in the league after playing in 21 games for the Ducks in 03-04.
Chris Kunitz's hockey statistics profile at hockeydb.com

I'm full of useless info
Old 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #1671
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

samifan...why don't the Bruins play Thomas. I've seen Manny twice this week and he hasn't looked that good.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #1672
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
samifan...why don't the Bruins play Thomas. I've seen Manny twice this week and he hasn't looked that good.

Terrible game from Fernandez today...he cost the Bruins that game. What was he doing? Two incredibly soft goals. I guess Thomas sat because he played yesterday. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care that Fernandez was great in November and December, he's a liability now and can't be counted on.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #1673
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm full of useless info

Yeah, that is quite the memory. I in fact had thought he didn't even play in any games with the Thrashers, so JIMG looking it up shows me he actually did. I remember being really annoyed when the Ducks waived Kuni and lost him. At the time he was relatively unknown, but I thought he had good upside and had showed some good things in the season before the strike. So I was pretty stoked the Thrashers did the same thing and the Ducks got him back.

In any case, I doubt any Thrashers fans besides JIMG remember him there.

As for Christensen, it's still TBD. I went to go see the Watchmen Friday night and forgot to DVR the game, so I didn't see Christensen's first game. But I did see that he got a penalty 30 seconds in that Dallas scored on, and took a lead they never gave up (which is a shame, because the Ducks apparently just flat dominated the Stars all game everywhere except in the score). He was pointless Friday night. We'll see--I plan on catching more of today's game.

You didn't bring it up, but Wiz did get a goal Friday night, and I am liking that acquisition a good deal right now. Surprised the Hawks would let a young Dman with that sort of mental makeup and ability go, even as high an opinion as I have of Pahlsson as a checking line center.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #1674
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that is quite the memory. I in fact had thought he didn't even play in any games with the Thrashers, so JIMG looking it up shows me he actually did. I remember being really annoyed when the Ducks waived Kuni and lost him. At the time he was relatively unknown, but I thought he had good upside and had showed some good things in the season before the strike. So I was pretty stoked the Thrashers did the same thing and the Ducks got him back.

In any case, I doubt any Thrashers fans besides JIMG remember him there.

As for Christensen, it's still TBD. I went to go see the Watchmen Friday night and forgot to DVR the game, so I didn't see Christensen's first game. But I did see that he got a penalty 30 seconds in that Dallas scored on, and took a lead they never gave up (which is a shame, because the Ducks apparently just flat dominated the Stars all game everywhere except in the score). He was pointless Friday night. We'll see--I plan on catching more of today's game.

You didn't bring it up, but Wiz did get a goal Friday night, and I am liking that acquisition a good deal right now. Surprised the Hawks would let a young Dman with that sort of mental makeup and ability go, even as high an opinion as I have of Pahlsson as a checking line center.

How has Whitney been so far? He's makes a great first pass, so that should help transition up to Getzlaf and company. But he's probably average, at best, in every other aspect of the game. He was viewed as Gonchar's eventual replacement on the PP, but I don't see him ever being a PP QB.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #1675
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How has Whitney been so far? He's makes a great first pass, so that should help transition up to Getzlaf and company. But he's probably average, at best, in every other aspect of the game. He was viewed as Gonchar's eventual replacement on the PP, but I don't see him ever being a PP QB.

I would say he has been "okay", from what I have seen, but it says something that I haven't really focused on him too much. That means he's not really standing out. Of course, he's playing less, since he's behind Niedermayer and Prongs on the blueline here, but I would have expected to see more "nice" plays stand out to me, and that hasn't really happened yet. I would say the jury is still out on him as well.

I know the team feels they were really able to do something good there in bringing in Whitney, as the organization as a whole was pretty slim in Dman, Nieds and Prongs aren't getting any younger and Beauchemain has the double hit of being out for the season by injury and an UIR this summer. But I don't think we know enough yet to say just what we have in Whitney. I am hopeful that a move to a team that concentrates more effort in forechecking and in their own end will bring out a better game from Whitney. In PIT, you guys have such amazing offensive talent (which should rightfully be emphasized) that I think Whitney's skills and the fact he is a DMan kinda got lost in the shuffle at times. Or at least that's what I hope.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-08-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #1676
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would say he has been "okay", from what I have seen, but it says something that I haven't really focused on him too much. That means he's not really standing out. Of course, he's playing less, since he's behind Niedermayer and Prongs on the blueline here, but I would have expected to see more "nice" plays stand out to me, and that hasn't really happened yet. I would say the jury is still out on him as well.

I know the team feels they were really able to do something good there in bringing in Whitney, as the organization as a whole was pretty slim in Dman, Nieds and Prongs aren't getting any younger and Beauchemain has the double hit of being out for the season by injury and an UIR this summer. But I don't think we know enough yet to say just what we have in Whitney. I am hopeful that a move to a team that concentrates more effort in forechecking and in their own end will bring out a better game from Whitney. In PIT, you guys have such amazing offensive talent (which should rightfully be emphasized) that I think Whitney's skills and the fact he is a DMan kinda got lost in the shuffle at times. Or at least that's what I hope.

He is probably not a top pairing guy. But he's a solid 2nd pairing guy.

He's not going to run a PP, but he's not bad as the offside D. He doesn't have a huge shot, but he's accurate.

He's a big body (6'4" 215) but rarely uses it. He showed flashes during the playoff run last year (although, really, beating the shit out of Redden shouldn't count for THAT much).

He can log some minutes-- the triple OT, game 5 of the finals, Gonchar got hurt in the 3rd period, Whitney played like 52 mins or some asinine amount.

His breakout pass is a thing of beauty though. His 59 point season in 06-07 was built mainly two ways: On the PP (Crosby found him alot going backdoor to the net) and 2nd assists wear he made fanastic passes across center to Crosby and Malkin, leading to odd man rushes.

You guys have enough talent at forward where he should be a helpful addition in the transition game. He played his best here when paired with Orpik or Scuderi-- that is, guys who will let him do his thing from your blueline OUT, and cover his ass from the blue line in.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #1677
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
It's remarkable what an impact Cole has had in just the two games since being traded back. He was immediately placed on the first line with Staal and Ruutu and that line was on fire in both games (yes, Tampa is drivel, but nine goals in a game is still a big feat in the modern NHL). Cole's assist to Staal on the second goal tonight was a thing of beauty.

On back-to-back nights, Carolina has outscored Calgary and Tampa Bay 15-4. Throw in the Washington game before the trade deadline and it's 20-6 over three games. Amazingly enough, in spite of this eruption of offense, Carolina still has given up more goals than it has scored this season (189-192).

Glad to see Cole playing well. I was really excited when he rolled into town but things obviously didn't click here, it's really too bad. And, hey, they beat the crap out of Calgary...that's always a bonus in my books!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #1678
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Glad to see Cole playing well. I was really excited when he rolled into town but things obviously didn't click here, it's really too bad. And, hey, they beat the crap out of Calgary...that's always a bonus in my books!!

In the Calgary game, Staal assisted on a Cole goal which was the only time they combined on the statsheet that night, but generally, they were all over the place in the game and had one or two other chances to score that didn't pan.

The game against Tampa last night was absurd on so many levels, though. Staal with four goals and two assists, Ruutu with two and three and Cole had helpers on four goals though he didn't net one himself. By the time it was 7-1 or 8-1, I was really starting to feel sorry for Tampa Bay, knowing that there still was another period and change to get through. Also hoped that Carolina wouldn't pick up some crap injury to a star player in some sort of retributive karma or something like that.

Carolina's problem right now is that just as they've finally caught fire (7-3 in the last 10), everyone else they're battling for a playoff spot also seems to have gotten things going, especially the Rangers and Penguins. Even with the three-game winning streak, Carolina is back out of the playoffs by a point right now with Pittsburgh and the Rangers both winning today.

Big tilt tomorrow night at home against the Rangers. Hope we can catch them coming down a bit from beating Boston on the back end of a back-to-back. Not quite win or go home, but with nearly everyone having games-in-hand on Carolina except Pittsburgh, a loss really would be quite bad to take right now.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #1679
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ok. You get blown out 8-0 on the road on the back-end of a games on consecutive nights. That's a not a good thing. Losing 8-0 is never a good thing, but, at least, you can try to rationalize it away. The team was tired. Things snowballed. It was a fluke. Let's re-group and right the ship.

But then you come back and lose 8-2 at home after three days off. There's really no excuse for that at all, other than the team has some issues. The Wings out shot Columbus something like 45 to 26 or something and still lost 8-2. The goaltending was awful. The giveaways were simply atrocious. The Wings have been plagued with sloppy defensive play for much of the season and some very, very soft goaltending. That's not going to win you anything come the playoffs. There were times last year, long stretches, where I just felt like there was no way the team could lose a playoff series. They were just playing too well. From goaltending on out, everything was clicking. Even during some of the longer winning streaks this year, I haven't felt that way. Too many one goal games, too many games where the team had to play catch up, too many defensive meltdowns, too much reliance on the power play.

I'm not in panic mode and I know it's hard to feel sorry for the Wings, but, at the moment, I don't see how this team will make it out of the West. They could, in fact, be prime for another first or second round playoff collapse similar to what we've seen many times before. They have all the hallmarks for it, weak goaltending and sloppy defensive play.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #1680
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

As best as I can tell, fake Brian Burke is now the sixth most popular hockey feed on twitter. Suck it, NHL Director of Communications Michael DiLorenzo!

Still behind Ovechkin, but ahead of Patrick Elias. Still behind the Hawks and Wings, but ahead of the Rangers, Thrashers, Oilers and Senators.

You're next, @behindthejersey!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #1681
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
As best as I can tell, fake Brian Burke is now the sixth most popular hockey feed on twitter. Suck it, NHL Director of Communications Michael DiLorenzo!

Still behind Ovechkin, but ahead of Patrick Elias. Still behind the Hawks and Wings, but ahead of the Rangers, Thrashers, Oilers and Senators.

You're next, @behindthejersey!

Still no Crosby....hmmmm
Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #1682
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Carbonneau out in MTL.

BRING IN THERRIEN!!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #1683
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Carbonneau out in MTL.

BRING IN THERRIEN!!

Gainey behind the bench...very interesting.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #1684
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

So the Jackets have beat Detroit, Boston and Pittsburgh in consecutive games. I'm not used to watching meaningful games in March, and having the Jackets come out on top.

19,167 in attendance last night, setting a new Nationwide record.

Should I believe in this team?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #1685
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
So the Jackets have beat Detroit, Boston and Pittsburgh in consecutive games. I'm not used to watching meaningful games in March, and having the Jackets come out on top.

Why not? They have a great goalie. A veteran head coach. They have Rick Nash. Assuming Mason can keep it up come playoff time (it's always a bit of a wildcard going into the playoffs with an untested goalie, even one who has been as stellar as Mason (see, e.g., Carey, Jim)), Columbus could be a very dangerous team.

At the moment, if I was a team seeded between 6-8 in the West, I would definitely want to play Detroit.

The Wings are playing pretty bad right now. Up 4-1 going into the 3rd. Give up 3 goals in 2 minutes. Get out shout 12-0. Unbelievable. Conklin's shaky. Osgood is shaky. Defense is soft and runs around. They beat St. Louis, Colorado, and Phoenix. Three worst teams in the West. Get blown out by Columbus and Nashville and now this. This team will be lucky to get out of the first round.

The Wings have relied too much on the power play. Both goalies are playing poorly and defensively they've been a mess. They get caught running around in their own end a lot and have difficulty with bigger, stronger forwards, even those that aren't particularly skilled. Raflaski and Stuart, both, have been particularly bad the last few games.

I've seen this story played out many times before and, unless something dramatic happens, the Wings are currently ripe for another first round "upset".
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #1686
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Why not? They have a great goalie. A veteran head coach. They have Rick Nash. Assuming Mason can keep it up come playoff time (it's always a bit of a wildcard going into the playoffs with an untested goalie, even one who has been as stellar as Mason (see, e.g., Carey, Jim)), Columbus could be a very dangerous team.

At the moment, if I was a team seeded between 6-8 in the West, I would definitely want to play Detroit.

The Wings are playing pretty bad right now. Up 4-1 going into the 3rd. Give up 3 goals in 2 minutes. Get out shout 12-0. Unbelievable. Conklin's shaky. Osgood is shaky. Defense is soft and runs around. They beat St. Louis, Colorado, and Phoenix. Three worst teams in the West. Get blown out by Columbus and Nashville and now this. This team will be lucky to get out of the first round.

The Wings have relied too much on the power play. Both goalies are playing poorly and defensively they've been a mess. They get caught running around in their own end a lot and have difficulty with bigger, stronger forwards, even those that aren't particularly skilled. Raflaski and Stuart, both, have been particularly bad the last few games.

I've seen this story played out many times before and, unless something dramatic happens, the Wings are currently ripe for another first round "upset".

As weird as it is to say, especially after 5 goals, but without Hossa, we're just not that good. His presence gives us two elite lines, and he is a tremendous two way forward. There just seems to be a lot more confidence with Hossa out there. I do think thought that drastic changes on D have to be made. Lebda has to be done, and Big Rig needs to become a fixture in the top 6 from here on out. Let him get comfortable because we just seem to be pushed around lately. Let the big rookie go out and play with fire and move guys around.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #1687
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Wings are playing pretty bad right now. Up 4-1 going into the 3rd. Give up 3 goals in 2 minutes. Get out shot 12-0. Unbelievable. Conklin's shaky. Osgood is shaky. Defense is soft and runs around.

Oh, hey, sounds like the Boston Bruins lately, too. Ugh.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #1688
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Any idea how many might have been Pens fans? It seemed a little loud in the building for that 5 minute stretch when they blew up.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #1689
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #1690
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Oh, hey, sounds like the Boston Bruins lately, too. Ugh.

Pretty uninspiring of late...I'd like to see a dominating game this afternoon.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #1691
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Detroit, we are coming for yo ass today baby!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #1692
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Pretty uninspiring of late...I'd like to see a dominating game this afternoon.

I sure hope so seeing as how it's the Islanders.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #1693
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Any idea how many might have been Pens fans? It seemed a little loud in the building for that 5 minute stretch when they blew up.

There were a large amount, probably about 3,000 or so, I'd say. Only a 3 hr drive, and lots of fans in Columbus and eastern OH that were/are fans of Pittsburgh. I'm a Steeler fan (dad's originally from WV), but I have to root for the Jackets.

90% of the fans were great, but the other 10% gave the whole group a bad name. The team honored Hitch for 500 wins before the game, and during the presentation and when Pat Burns came out, those 10% decided to chant 'Let's Go Pens!'. Totally classless, probably too many Iron City's before they got into the arena
Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #1694
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
There were a large amount, probably about 3,000 or so, I'd say. Only a 3 hr drive, and lots of fans in Columbus and eastern OH that were/are fans of Pittsburgh. I'm a Steeler fan (dad's originally from WV), but I have to root for the Jackets.

90% of the fans were great, but the other 10% gave the whole group a bad name. The team honored Hitch for 500 wins before the game, and during the presentation and when Pat Burns came out, those 10% decided to chant 'Let's Go Pens!'. Totally classless, probably too many Iron City's before they got into the arena

Those would be theme 10% who booed Jagr every time he touched the puck while in a Caps or Rangers uniform.

And that would all be related to Hitchcock making the assertion that Crosby dives, during his rookie season, after feasting on the Flyers for 3-4 points probably.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #1695
Logan
Head Coach

So Brodeur will try to break Roy's record at home tomorrow night, and you can still get dead center ice seats through Ticketmaster. It's amazing how shitty that arena is doing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #1696
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And that would all be related to Hitchcock making the assertion that Crosby dives, during his rookie season, after feasting on the Flyers for 3-4 points probably.

He does dive...Bob Errey even admitted it.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #1697
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So Brodeur will try to break Roy's record at home tomorrow night, and you can still get dead center ice seats through Ticketmaster. It's amazing how shitty that arena is doing.
That sucks. I wish I could be there. Great seats still available. Ugh.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #1698
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
He does dive...Bob Errey even admitted it.

But he learned it from watching Forsberg. Don't forget to give him credit.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #1699
BlackJack
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So Brodeur will try to break Roy's record at home tomorrow night, and you can still get dead center ice seats through Ticketmaster. It's amazing how unpopular that team is.

Thats more like it.
BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #1700
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But he learned it from watching Forsberg. Don't forget to give him credit.

Way to pick on a guy with a gimp ankle.