Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #1651
Logan
Head Coach

The Take - 8/10

Overall a strong movie with great acting and cinematography. John Leguizamo stars as Felix, an armored truck driver who is shot in the head during a robbery and lives. After being in a coma and going through serious rehab and therapy, he attempts to go after the men (headed by Tyrese Gibson) who have ruined his life. Leguizamo's performance was the highlight, and Rosie Perez was great playing his wife.

For more info, check out http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=64707
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #1652
MikeVic
Head Coach

Walk Hard - 7.5/10
This was sillier than I thought. I figured it would be kind of a parody/comedy thing, but more grounded in reality. There's not much weird stuff, but when it's there it threw me off. And considering that a large part of Dewey Cox's character is one of these weird things, it was kinda... weird. There were still quite a few funny scenes, and I overall enjoyed the movie, but it fell a bit below my expectations.

Vantage Point - 8/10
Solid movie. I liked the story and how it was presented. Reviews I read said that the movie gets annoying because you see the same stuff over and over again, but I didn't find it so repetitive that I was annoyed. I felt it had good acting and pacing; it held my interest. The gimmick of different "vantage points" didn't seem to be consistent though, for the sake of providing more suspense. They'll cut away from a vantage point of someone when you know the stuff that happens next they saw... but they don't show you it. I found that kind of annoying, but I'm not sure if I would've liked seeing it all and losing some shock value or whatever. Overall a solid movie with a good story.

Lars and the Real Girl - 9.5/10
Never really heard of this, and after I read a brief synopsis, I wasn't expecting much. I should have low expectations for every movie I see, because it made this movie just that much better. I never liked Ryan Gosling, but I've become a real fan of his after this movie. Just outstanding and fascinating. A real nice, funny, touching movie. I ended up caring so much for the Lars character. I don't want to spoil anything, but my only concern early on was thinking that it was a stretch for so many characters in the movie to go along with the main premise, but they kind of explain themselves with that I thought. Only reason that it's not a 10 is that I don't see myself watching it multiple times, but that can change if I see it again I think. Highly recommended.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #1653
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Lars and the Real Girl - 9.5/10
Never really heard of this, and after I read a brief synopsis, I wasn't expecting much. I should have low expectations for every movie I see, because it made this movie just that much better. I never liked Ryan Gosling, but I've become a real fan of his after this movie. Just outstanding and fascinating. A real nice, funny, touching movie. I ended up caring so much for the Lars character. I don't want to spoil anything, but my only concern early on was thinking that it was a stretch for so many characters in the movie to go along with the main premise, but they kind of explain themselves with that I thought. Only reason that it's not a 10 is that I don't see myself watching it multiple times, but that can change if I see it again I think. Highly recommended.

thats funny, i saw this last night and came here to post about it.

I am a fan of Gosling, and I think this was his best work so far. He completely carried the movie, by himself. He was believable for every second.

Everyone else...less so.

Wouldnt re-watch it, but would recommend it, for Gosling's acting alone.

6.5/10
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #1654
korme
Go Reds

Great movie that I reviewed a few months ago... did you all watch it on DVD? If so, I didn't think it was out yet and must make a trip to BB soon.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #1655
MikeVic
Head Coach

DVD this upcoming Tuesday.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #1656
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Michael Clayton - 8/10

A very well done movie. Nothing new or different necessarily, but Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton were absolutely wonderful in their roles (esp. Wilkinson). Clooney was good, but not as amazing as I'd heard people say (people were saying he'd be a shoo in for Best Actor if not for Daniel Day Lewis... I don't necessarily see that). The story was very intriguing, though I agree with some others that the whole Clayton personal life thing seemed a bit tacked on. The ending was absolutely brilliant though.

No Country for Old Men - 9/10

Wow. Just amazing cinematography and the Coen's did Cormac McCarthy good in putting an incredible story to the screen. The three main actors (Brolin, Bardem, and Jones) were incredible in their roles, especially Bardem who was just a perfect face of evil. The supporting cast was also perfectly cast, as Woody Harrelson, Kelley MacDonald, and Garett Dilahunt played their roles very well. People say they are disappointed in the ending, but I thought it absolutely fit the tone and message of the rest of the movie.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #1657
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Doomsday - 9/10 - I came in not expecting much, but damn... this was one sweet ride. Insane gore, over the top action, and a complete menagerie of so many different cultural concepts that I was simply amazed how everything just came together so beautifully. The pacing is excellent for a gore/action/horror flick. Far better than previous movies in the same vein... Resident Evil and the Underworld. Rhona Mitra is a hot ass-kicking heroine. I loved it.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 04-12-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #1658
MikeVic
Head Coach

I gave Doomsday a 9 as well a few weeks ago. What an awesome movie.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #1659
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It's so hard to write a review because of all the pleasant little things in the movie that you can't mention without ruining it! heh.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #1660
MikeVic
Head Coach

Exactly. I just re-read my little paragraph review and it doesn't make much sense. I told a lot of friends to just trust me and go see it, but it's kind of hard to talk about it. A lot of the fun is seeing what else is included in the movie.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #1661
Lorena
Unregistered

Not a movie but

Scrubs Season 1 - 10/10

To me, 10s are for shows/movies I never tire of and this is one of them. I love the comradery, JD's sweet nature, Eliot's goofiness, Carla's sassy attitude, Dr. Cox's awesome sarcasm, the Janitor always ripping on JD.. it's an awesome show all around.

Thanks to MikeVic and Pumpy for recommending a show the kids, Ant and I can enjoy. I have added seasons 2-7 on my Netflix Q.

One of my favorite clips from this season:

Last edited by Lorena : 04-13-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #1662
Johnny93g
College Starter

A few movies i've seen lately:

Leatherheads 5/10

It's ok, it's nothing special. There were a few ammusing scenes, and the lure of the early football world was different. Maybe I have outgrown these pg-13 type comedies, but when i compare it to it's counterpart's of the past, like My Cousin Vinnie, or Ghostbuster's, or Major League, it just isnt in the same league.

21 6/10

Pretty much what I thought it would be. That's not a bad thing. Kinda predictable, and i wasnt really impressed with the 2 leads, but overall, i was satisfied. Longer then it needed to be.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 8/10

Really good movie. I have been meaning to see this for ever, and i finally borrowed a copy from a friend. It's different, it's original, and it's very well done. Jim Carrey is a great actor. He needs to do more serious roles. Kate Winslett was fantastic, and I really enjoyed Tom Wilkinson's role. A must see!

The Hoax 8.5/10

The story of a struggling author who claims Howard Hughes has given him permission to write a autobiography. This ofcourse is the hoax. Richard Gere, who i don't like at all, was great. Alferd Molina, Stanley Tucci, and the rest of the supporting cast was near perfect. Very enjoyable, it's a great roller coaster ride.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 04-13-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling, i suck
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #1663
MikeVic
Head Coach

Glad you liked Scrubs, DC.

Alvin and the Chipmunks - 7.5/10
The movie was more enjoyable that I thought it would be. I really liked the singing parts, but some of the later performances with a hip hop feel seemed odd. You have to really suspend your disbeliefs to accept the fact that everyone buys into these guys, but it's meant as a kids movie. And it succeeds at doing that I believe. I liked the positive feel the movie had, and the sub-story of the chipmunks just wanting a family. There were some funny parts, and if you're an adult that isn't totally opposed to kiddy movies (as I am), then you'll like this.

Smart People - 8.5/10
I read fairly negative reviews of this before going out to see it, saying that the characters make decisions that don't make sense, and there not being enough comedy. I'm going to say that I disagree with both of these concerns. I felt the characters progressed nicely. Everyone but the family's poet brother gets adequate screen time, and decisions that they make are logical to me. As for the comedy, there aren't wall-to-wall jokes and funny moments, but they are dispersed throughout the movie nicely. There were definitely multiple LOL moments, and there were quite a few chuckle moments too.

Thomas Hayden Church's character is pure awesome. Ellen Page's character had the biggest swings, followed by Dennis Quaid's character. I thought the four main actors did a very good job with their roles. My only complaint about the movie is that I didn't understand a couple of the conversations, but it didn't take too much away from understanding what was going on in the scene.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #1664
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Smart People 9/10- I thought this mavie was fantastic. The 4 family members were increadable. The acting in it was just amazing. Sara Jessica Parker was so outclassed it wasn't even funny, but she was tolerable.

I agree with MV the Thomas Hayden Church's character was awesome. There wasn't alot of comedy but there were some amusing parts and Ellen Page nailed her role.

I also think it may have been the best role I have ever seen Quaid play, he was awesome.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #1665
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saw Doomsday today. Yeah, I would say that is a turn your brain off movie, with enough intentional ridiculity and self-mockery that it is a decently entertaining popcorn muncher. But you must not abhor gore, because this movie observes few standards.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #1666
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Friday, April 11

American Teen (Nanette Burstein)

This is a documentary that follows four teenagers during their senior year of high school. They all fit pretty familiar types. You've got the spoiled popular girl, the jock, the band geek, and the flaky artist chick. The film recalls the short-lived tv series American High and is every bit as good. There's an interesting use of animation sequences detailing the thoughts of the students as they speak. Some of the sequences are obviously manufactured (i.e. kids staring out at the sunset), but the director manages to capture some startlingly frank moments, like when spoiled girl Megan displays a cruelty that makes you wonder how they were able to obtain a release to use her footage. Burstein may have staged many of her shots, but her film manages to capture a truth that few other documentaries have been able to approach. 9/10

Conflict and Resolution Shorts

One of the cool things about the festival is the ability to catch the shorts programs, which usually don't make it to mainstream theaters. Unfortunately, the first shorts program this year was pretty weak...

Women in Burka - This was probably the best of the bunch. It was about a woman of Indian descent and the roles offered to her after 9/11. The film is somewhat funny exploration of the subject matter, but has some bizaare tangents, including a weird cameo from Kerry Washington, that don't really make sense. Also features a cameo from Sam Rockwell. 6/10

Veils - A film that shows the final moments for a Palestinian man and a Jewish woman getting married. Contains a clever twist at the end, but there seems to be little purpose to the movie other than deceiving the audience until the very end. Not very interesting. 4/10

Mexican in the Closet - A frustrated wife brings an illegal immigrant home in hopes that he will kill her husband. The guy stays in her guest room closet while devising the plan, but as days pass, it looks like he might not ever do it because he enjoys living in the closet so much. There are a few funny moments, but the jokes get repetitive pretty fast, and this movie just goes on and on and on. 4/10

Race - Two low level executives, a black male and an asian female, at a research firm are pitted against each other for a promotion. The stakes are amped up by their boss, who decides to play up their "innate racial hysteria" against each other, thinking it will improve their performance. The film's attempt to dramatize racial tensions is laughable at best and approaches offensive. (He makes a geisha remark, she accuses him of only being successful because he's an athlete). This was directed by respected character actor Peter Coyote, who would've been better off phoning in a Law & Order or ER guest performance than making a foray into directing. 1/10

Devil Goes Down - A young man challenges another to a one-on-one basketball contest with a very special prize. Almost the entire movie is the basketball contest, which is admittedly produced fairly well for a low budget affair. The ending is clever, but that doesn't make the whole movie terribly interesting. 5/10

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #1667
korme
Go Reds

Best Buy is going to love me tomorrow - Juno, Lars..., & ... Blood will all hit shelves and dent my wallet.

Akeelah and the Bee (2006) - Movie about a young middle-school girl who grows up in a poor school district where it's not cool to be smart. Yet she is very gifted, easily can memorize words and is pushed to enter spelling contests where she does very well. Stars Larry Fishbourne and Angela Bassett with a newcomer performance by Keke Palmer. I just don't know what audience this movie was aiming for - I'm guessing I wasn't the primary target. I guess younger kids or mothers would like this much more than I did. I thought many of the scenarios were all very obvious and a little forced. It was ok but I could have guessed nearly how every scene in the last 45 minutes would play out as it started. Fishbourne was ok, Bassett was below average and Palmer was a nice breakthrough. I did watch it because I have an affinity towards english and the discussions of the language were rewarding. There was a montage in the middle of the movie that was very ridiculous. 5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #1668
Pyser
Pro Rookie

american gangster

holy long. hooooooooly long. and i didnt even watch the "extended" cut.

denzel was good. crowe was crowe. i dont feel like i saw anything new, and i really dont feel like i saw a true story. but i was mostly entertained throughout.

absolutely no idea how ruby dee got nominated. she only had to act in 1 scene. got to love a weak year for women

6/10
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #1669
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Best Buy is going to love me tomorrow - Juno, Lars..., & ... Blood will all hit shelves and dent my wallet.

Those are loss leaders. If you walk out with only those titles, Best Buy is going to hate you .
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #1670
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

looking forward to picking up Juno
Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #1671
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
looking forward to picking up Juno

Yup, and watching it as soon as we get home.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #1672
Johnny93g
College Starter

Ok, i have seen Juno, i thouht it was ok. Nothing special. Does anyone want to take a shot and explain whats so good about it, because i don't get it!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #1673
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Ok, i have seen Juno, i thouht it was ok. Nothing special. Does anyone want to take a shot and explain whats so good about it, because i don't get it!!

Yes, Ellen Page is in it

Seriously, I think she's a great actress.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #1674
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

it was simple.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #1675
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like Ellen Page a lot.

But the movie was well done. I think I wrote a quick review sometime last year.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #1676
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It was good. I think I mentioned in my review that it suffered from a little bit of Dawson's Creek-itis.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #1677
Logan
Head Coach

I chalked up the unrealistic language to being a byproduct of a universe where George Michael is looked upon by any as a cool kid.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #1678
larrymcg421
Head Coach

More from the festival...

The Edge of Heaven (Faith Akin)

This won the Best Screenplay Award at Cannes and it's easy to see why. It follows several different stories that are connected, but unlike the countless ripoffs of Tarantino and Altman, there's actually a purpose to the structure, as the underlying theme of forgiveness through a tale of a prostitute trying to earn money for her daughter's education, a man's fruitless search for the daughter, and the daughter's fight against political oppression. The director begins each chapter with a title that explains what will happen at the end, creating an interesting sense of unease as the events play out. The director gets a little too cute at the end, which undercuts the emotion of the story, but this is still really good stuff. 8.5/10

Nerdcore Rising (Negin Farsad)

This is a documentary that follows MC Frontalot, the godfather of Nerdcore. What is nerdcore you ask? In short, it's geeky white guys rapping about geeky white guy things. Sample lyrics from a Frontalot song:

"now it's time for a little braggadocio
while I swing my arms like ralph macchio"

Front has a pretty good library of songs, ranging from topics such as evolution, internet porn, goth girls, and his hilarious disdain for Magic the Gathering. (One of the funniest moments in the documentary is when one of his bandmates tries to explain the rules of the card game.) The surprising thing about the movie is that the music isn't really that bad. It's fun to listen to and there are some really good arrangements. The structure of the film shows Frontalot going on his first live tour, which has some pretty amusing moments, but also shows the devoted following he has acquired. Last year at this same fest I saw a documentary called King of Kong, which was about a group of people that obsessively play classic video games. This works in the same way, following a unique group of people who have a very specialized hobby. 8/10

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 04-15-2008 at 09:31 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #1679
Groundhog
Coordinator

Blood Diamond - 8/10

Liked this better than I thought I would. Leo did a great job, and Djimon did an even greater job. The best part however? After watching this my girlfriend, who had no idea about the dirty dealings of the diamond trade before watching this, had now decided that she doesn't want a diamond on her engagement ring when that time comes... A gem stone or a cubic zirconia. Woo-hoo!!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #1680
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Blood Diamond - 8/10

Liked this better than I thought I would. Leo did a great job, and Djimon did an even greater job. The best part however? After watching this my girlfriend, who had no idea about the dirty dealings of the diamond trade before watching this, had now decided that she doesn't want a diamond on her engagement ring when that time comes... A gem stone or a cubic zirconia. Woo-hoo!!

you didn't actualy believe her, did you?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #1681
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

There Will Be Blood 8/10

A very solid film overall and Daniel Day Lewis deserves all the praise he got for the film. Though it was perhaps 20 minutes too long and a tad confusing on some parts.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #1682
Lorena
Unregistered

Juno 8/10

Sharp witty dialog and well delivered by all actors. It wasn't overly sappy like I was expecting, but it was just right.

Last edited by Lorena : 04-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #1683
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Not a movie but

Scrubs Season 1 - 10/10

To me, 10s are for shows/movies I never tire of and this is one of them. I love the comradery, JD's sweet nature, Eliot's goofiness, Carla's sassy attitude, Dr. Cox's awesome sarcasm, the Janitor always ripping on JD.. it's an awesome show all around.

I love Scrubs. The show gets better (if that's possible) as it goes (although, the season 7 episodes I've seen have been a letdown so far, seasons 1-6 is just great TV).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #1684
Flasch186
Coordinator

21 7/10

eh, you couldnt help but see their signals and say, "Jesus, could you be more obvious". It was just ok.

The Hunting Party8/10

How many F'n movies has Terrance Howard been in?!

Anyways, an interesting choice to have this be of a lighter faire considering the topic which was the ethnic cleansing and the hunt for war criminals. An interesting movie and I thought it was worth watching. Terrance Howard is pretty good in anything ive seen.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #1685
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Baraka - 10/10

Have to bring up one of my very favorite movies and one that I watch frequently. This is a movie that does not appeal to the masses, or to movie goers. It is simply a meditative visual film that one experiences with the eyes, ears and heart. Filmed in 70mm, it takes you on a journey all over the world in showing many aspects of humanity and sceneries. Some of it is shown in time-lapsed filming, particularly the storm clouds over the Utah landscape, as well as showing urban traffic like blood pulsing through vein. I am obsessive with meditative non-western music (as well as great scenics) and this the perfect movie for both.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #1686
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

There will be blood... This is a tough one to do, but I'm going to have to say 4/10 DDL was great, but the story just didn't seem that good to me. It seemed long, and not a movie I will be watching again for a few years...
I was expecting great things from all the praise it got, but was disappointed.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #1687
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Watched a couple of the Lethal Weapon movies while away on a business trip.

Lethal Weapon 1 - 4/10 (see below)
Lethal Weapon 2 - 6/10. I think Mel and Danny are great together. I rated LW1 low because after I saw LW2, I had to think hard to remember what LW1 was about and who were the bad guys (even though I had seen it just the night before). I have seen LW3 and 4 previously but it has been a while and will watch them again soon.
Lethal Weapon 3 - 3/10. Very little action compared to the previous two and simple, rather stupid bad guy.
Lethal Weapon 4 - 8/10. Easily my favorite of the bunch because I love Jet Li. Not only the baddest bad guy in the series, but one of the most viscous of all bad guys. Not bad for a newcomer.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-21-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added Lethal Weapon 3 and 4
Old 04-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #1688
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Baraka - 10/10

Have to bring up one of my very favorite movies and one that I watch frequently. This is a movie that does not appeal to the masses, or to movie goers. It is simply a meditative visual film that one experiences with the eyes, ears and heart. Filmed in 70mm, it takes you on a journey all over the world in showing many aspects of humanity and sceneries. Some of it is shown in time-lapsed filming, particularly the storm clouds over the Utah landscape, as well as showing urban traffic like blood pulsing through vein. I am obsessive with meditative non-western music (as well as great scenics) and this the perfect movie for both.

That's a personal fave of mine as well. Definitely not your average movie, as there is no plot, or dialog in the traditional sense (unless you count chanting). I believe (and I'm too lazy to fact check) that the director was the cinematographer for 'Koyanasqatsi', which is in the same vein, and also highly regarded (and reviled).
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #1689
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That's a personal fave of mine as well. Definitely not your average movie, as there is no plot, or dialog in the traditional sense (unless you count chanting). I believe (and I'm too lazy to fact check) that the director was the cinematographer for 'Koyanasqatsi', which is in the same vein, and also highly regarded (and reviled).

Yes, the one and the same (plus he has a new one called Samsara that will be released this year). I did watch Koyanasqatsi after I had gotten Baraka. I actually didn't like it much at all and have no interest in seeing that again but probably have watched Baraka about 30 times. Glad to see another fan of this movie (plus I have to give credit to my SF brother for introducing this to me).
Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #1690
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Just got home from Forgetting Sarah Marshall... 8.5/10, huh-freaking-larious in parts. Lotta slow moments early on, but gets better. Love the English rock singer dude, don't recognize him from anything else.

Oh, and Kristen Bell.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #1691
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Just got home from Forgetting Sarah Marshall... 8.5/10, huh-freaking-larious in parts. Lotta slow moments early on, but gets better. Love the English rock singer dude, don't recognize him from anything else.

Oh, and Kristen Bell.

I agree with all of this. I would give it a 9. I need to see it again because there were so many LOL moments I know I missed some good ones.

Mila Kunis is so insanely hot.

There were so many great one liners, I rank it right up there with Knocked Up and Superbad if not better.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-19-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #1692
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 8/10: Funny as Hell. Probably would have been higher if I never saw Superbad, but still hilarious flick. Hit a bit more home for me since I recently got dumped, but I thought it struck a great combination of comedy and what guys actually go through after a breakup. Segel was absolutely awesome in the title role (and writing it). He just looks and sounds like some ordinary guy, which it makes a role like this work sooo much better for him than it would for another actor. And, he's a brave man, willing to show his penis that much.

And yes, Mila Kunis was amazing hot. Left Kristen Bell in the dust (saying something). The British singer, though, stole every scene he was in. And Paul Rudd's stoner surfer shop guy was utterly hilarious.

Best line in the movie:

Spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-20-2008 at 12:09 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 AM   #1693
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Almost forgot, saw a DVD last night:

Juno - 9/10: Just a was wonderful flick. It wasn't so much laugh out loud, gut bustingly funny, but was a highly amusing, witty flim. Ellen Page is just excellent and the way she talks throughout was great (and thankfully she was 20 when she did the role, because I found her waaaay hot). Michael Cera played the goofy kid role to perfection (continuing on from Arrested Development). Loved Jason Bateman in it as well, as I do in everything. The casting was perfect (Juno's father is a hoot... he is just a great character actor) and while the story was a bit slow, the greatness is in the dialogue and the acting.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #1694
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 8/10: Funny as Hell. Probably would have been higher if I never saw Superbad, but still hilarious flick. Hit a bit more home for me since I recently got dumped, but I thought it struck a great combination of comedy and what guys actually go through after a breakup. Segel was absolutely awesome in the title role (and writing it). He just looks and sounds like some ordinary guy, which it makes a role like this work sooo much better for him than it would for another actor. And, he's a brave man, willing to show his penis that much.

And yes, Mila Kunis was amazing hot. Left Kristen Bell in the dust (saying something). The British singer, though, stole every scene he was in. And Paul Rudd's stoner surfer shop guy was utterly hilarious.

Best line in the movie:

Spoiler

I agree with all this, but I move it up to a 9. Just a lot of terrific lol moments (and a nice story besides). Kristen Bell is nice and all, BTW, but Mila Kunis was already a clincher for me going in, as I have always dug brunettes. And, yeah, she's certainly easy on the eyes (and a little more "adult" than from That 70's Show, where I always felt she was a little too young).

The Brit rocker was hilarious. Yeah, the spoiler above contains one of the best single lines I have heard in some time, lol.

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-20-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:17 AM   #1695
Flasch186
Coordinator

Sweeney Todd 4/10

Avoid this flick unless you like to punish yourself. It was gruesome beyond belief and while some of the songs were good and the actors I can appreciate in their own right I just couldnt catch it all. The fast dialogue within the songs with sometimes a heavy accent just didnt work for my ears. If you want to rent it go for it but be sure to watch it while using your home fondue set.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #1696
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Sweeney Todd 4/10

Avoid this flick unless you like to punish yourself. It was gruesome beyond belief and while some of the songs were good and the actors I can appreciate in their own right I just couldnt catch it all. The fast dialogue within the songs with sometimes a heavy accent just didnt work for my ears. If you want to rent it go for it but be sure to watch it while using your home fondue set.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the gruesomeness of the movie had my wife and her friends laughing like crazy. According to them, the way over the top blood was where the "dark humor" came from. I find that hard to believe personally, but that was her claim.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #1697
Flasch186
Coordinator

well if pretty real looking slices across the neck is your bag, and heads slamming to the ground to collapse like cantaloupes is your thing, then by all means. I didnt find much humor in it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #1698
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I was able to watch the original musical dvd before i saw the movie. It (the movie) basically captured what S.Todd would be if set in the real world.

i was disappointed that they didn't sing the ballad of sweeny todd, though.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 04-20-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #1699
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
well if pretty real looking slices across the neck is your bag, and heads slamming to the ground to collapse like cantaloupes is your thing, then by all means. I didnt find much humor in it.

I suppose it is sort of like the Dark Knight scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail. Again, I didn't see the movie yet, but that is how I heard it described. I'm not sure how having that connection in mind would change a person's view of the movie.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #1700
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh no, I loved Sweeney Todd. The first neck slice was gruesome, but after that it was so over-the-top that it was funny (at least I thought so).