Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #1651
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Dice-K also only pitched once a week in Japan, so he could afford to throw 150+ pitches a game, nibbling like he does, and be rested for his next start in 7 or so days.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #1652
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Dice-K also only pitched once a week in Japan, so he could afford to throw 150+ pitches a game, nibbling like he does, and be rested for his next start in 7 or so days.

very true
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #1653
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Yes, if you buy into the idea that Dice-K, since he's from the mysterious land of Japan and isn't used to the ways of the white man, is the one pitcher who will outperform his secondary stats (FB%, FIP). For me, the more logical way to look at it is that Dice-K got EXTREMELY lucky last year (the last 15 batters against him with the bases loaded are 0-15) and what Dice-K is looking like this year is more likely him going forward.

he's also about to hit the "japanese pitcher's wall" that they've all hit when they come over.

i think he was a good buy at the time, and he's been a good (if maddening) pitcher, and probably great from a marketing standpoint, but with the surplus of great young pitching the Sox have coming up, I don't want to see him resigned to a big-money deal. I also think they could look to trade him maybe in the offseason to open up room in their rotation.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #1654
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think he has a NTC. I think, as a Sox fan, its Pepto every five days for the next few years.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #1655
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think he has a NTC. I think, as a Sox fan, its Pepto every five days for the next few years.

idk if he does

*runs to check*

i'm sure they could find some team he'd agree to be traded to
Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #1656
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

guess i was wrong

Details of Daisuke Matsuzaka's $52 million, six-year contract with the Boston Red Sox, as obtained by The Associated Press:
Signing Bonus
$2 million
Salaries
2007--$6 million
2008--$8 million
2009--$8 million
2010--$8 million
2011--$10 million
2012 --$10 million
Escalators
2009 and 2010 salaries can increase to $10 million, and 2011 and 2012 salaries can increase to $12 million based finishing among top three in Cy Young Award voting and top five in MVP voting
Award bonuses
For All-Star selection, All-Star starting pitcher, Gold Glove, league championship series MVP, World Series MVP, Cy Young (top three), MVP (top five), Rookie of the Year.
No Trade Provision
If player gets his first day of major league service during a guaranteed contract of at least six years after a player has been with a professional baseball league team other than a major or minor league team, player cannot be traded without his consent.
Perks
--Eight round-trip first class tickets per year between Japan and Boston
--Spring training housing allowance up to $25,000
--Boston housing allowance of up to $75,000
--One-time moving allowance of up to $35,000
--Use of a Lincoln Town Car or similar car
--Interpreter
--Red Sox player ticket package, of which two seats will be field box
--Team employee to assist Japanese media
--Player cannot be sent to minor leagues
--Player will receive uniform No. 18
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #1657
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

honestly though - that's not horrible money. if they want to flip him off on some other team and he agrees then he's not horribly overpriced or anything.

looking at that contract - why does he need a housing allowance and a car? shouldn't those be things he pays out of his salary?? wtf??
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #1658
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It was a very contentious negotiation since Boras wanted Dice-K to get around 18m a year, even though his side had zero leverage. I have a feeling things like that were put in so that Boras could have small victories, though it also wouldn't surprise me if most "big-time" contracts contained similar things.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #1659
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was a very contentious negotiation since Boras wanted Dice-K to get around 18m a year, even though his side had zero leverage. I have a feeling things like that were put in so that Boras could have small victories, though it also wouldn't surprise me if most "big-time" contracts contained similar things.

yeah - i suppose you're right. I just think they're funny, and frankly the amount of them is funny.

I mean look - his housing allowance is what? 75k per year?

I've never figured out EXACTLY which house is his (I have my suspiscions though), but the zillow.com values of houses on his street that could be his (backs up to the golf course) - Lincoln Rd, Wellesley MA:

1.85m, 2.8m, 3.17m, 1.38m,1.78m, 1.69m, 1.52, 1.06m, 1.15m, 1.48m, 1.68m

I guess he uses the 75k to payoff his property taxes and his mortgage every year though? I don't know - I always assumed that he came over with enough money to put cash on the barrelhead and not need a mortgage, but I guess I am probably wrong on that count.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #1660
SackAttack
Head Coach

So, wait...the home plate umpire in the Twins game threw out the manager/catcher combo for BOTH teams in their respective defensive halves of the seventh?

I think that's the first time I've ever seen that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #1661
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So, wait...the home plate umpire in the Twins game threw out the manager/catcher combo for BOTH teams in their respective defensive halves of the seventh?

I think that's the first time I've ever seen that.

Evidently he's a rookie umpire.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #1662
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wow, pretty sure the Mets just got a beneficial call on a replay...HR Dan Murphy.

Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
To LS, any other Nats fans, fans in the RF stands say it wasn't a HR.

Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
On the other hand, when facing the Nats pitching staff sometimes you just have to go with Occam's Razor and assume any fly ball to the outfield is a home run unless proven otherwise.

If it's the relief staff, I will agree. The starters have been relatively solid, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Nats got rid of D. Cabrera....I thought this kid had a lot of potential a few yrs back. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember him bringing it at 97-98 mph in like the 7th inning. Quite possible I have no clue what I'm talking about, but maybe with a solid pitching coach he can turn it around.

It's about time.

Quote:
Interesting. Never followed him through his career, but I do remember watching a game when he was with the O's and saying "wow". Checked out his stats, he had a 8.8 SO/9 yr, followed by a 9.5 SO/9. Pretty impressive for a young kid who, you would think, would only get better.

Look at his numbers for this year, though. He's a mess. almost 8 walks per 9 with only 3.6 SO per 9. In addition he led the majors in WP with 10 after 40 IP.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #1663
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Evidently he's a rookie umpire.

The balls-and-strikes toss I don't have much of a problem with. You argue those with an umpire, or even make a habit of commenting on the strike zone, you are probably leaving early.

I'd have to see what happened on the safe call at the plate that got both the manager and the catcher run, though.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #1664
JS19
College Prospect

So I finally checked out this Zambrano "meltdown"...eh, not all that impressed. I kept hearing about it and whatnot, and was expecting something similar to what that minor league manager did a few yrs back (ya know, a little low crawl and grenade throwing). All this was a little hooten and hollerin, with a launch of a baseball. Now, if he would have been able to throw the ball over the ivy wall from where he was, now that would have been impressive.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #1665
JS19
College Prospect

Awesome catch by a fan in the Mets/Marlins game. Santos blasts a HR over the LF wall, fan catches the ball with his left hand with a beer in his right. Number 1 web gem for sure.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #1666
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Chisox up 11-0 in the 6th
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #1667
Atocep
Coordinator

Loving Sheffield so far.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #1668
JS19
College Prospect

Sheffield and Santos do it again....so glad the Mets have all this money to throw at them.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #1669
RedKingGold
College Starter

Brett Myers has a torn hip labrum and is out until at least September, if not the rest of the playoffs.

It is a pretty significant blow because it puts a lot of pressure on J.A. Happ to become a significant contributor. At least it looks like Blanton has stablized and Moyer pitched pretty decently in his last start.

Still, it looks likely that the Phils will trade for a starter in June. Based on the Amaro/Gillick track record, I highly doubt they'll go after Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt (who's rumored to be on the block). I could see them going after Brad Penny if the price isn't too high. In fact, Buster Olney has already speculated that a Jason Donald for Brad Penny straight up swap would work best for both Boston and Philadelphia.

Amaro has already said they're not interested in Pedro Martinez and Chan Ho Park is going to remain in the pen (or hopefully taken out back and shot). The team is likely to call up Antonio Bastardo whom has shot up the minor leagues from Single A to AAA in the past year and some team scouts say has "Johan" like qualities. Yet, I bet the Phils would like to give Bastardo another year of seasoning before being called up as he's 23. Meanwhile, Carlos Carrasco, considered the Phils top pitching prospect, has really struggled in AAA this year (0-6, 5.81 ERA).

Are there any other decent mid-level pitchers (like Blanton) who have been rumored to be on the market?

Last edited by RedKingGold : 05-30-2009 at 05:58 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #1670
henry296
College Starter

I flipped on the Orioles game last night and initially couldn't believe the crowd for a Friday night game against the Tigers. Then I realized that it was Weiters debut. From what i heard they had like 14,000 walk-up sales for that game. Amamzing how a top prospect can energize a fan base.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #1671
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I flipped on the Orioles game last night and initially couldn't believe the crowd for a Friday night game against the Tigers. Then I realized that it was Weiters debut. From what i heard they had like 14,000 walk-up sales for that game. Amamzing how a top prospect can energize a fan base.

Guess it's good we got our tickets for tonight quite a bit in advance. It'll be fun to check out Wieters.

Checking out O's-Tigers tonight at Camden. I'm ashamed to say but it's my first game in person all year. It's just so much harder to get up to games now that it's an overnight stay ordeal- that's a lot more cash to shell out when you have to get a hotel or subway there and back for an hour + drive back for 2 more.

If anyone's going to that game, it's probably a safe bet that I'll be the only person in the stadium in a Royals jersey and hat.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #1672
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Amaro also said that with all the sellouts that the Phillies have already had, they have extra money to spend towards a pitcher.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #1673
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Amaro also said that with all the sellouts that the Phillies have already had, they have extra money to spend towards a pitcher.

Barry Zito is really pitching well this year.

Last edited by Bad-example : 05-30-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #1674
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I flipped on the Orioles game last night and initially couldn't believe the crowd for a Friday night game against the Tigers. Then I realized that it was Weiters debut. From what i heard they had like 14,000 walk-up sales for that game. Amazing how a top prospect can energize a fan base.
A top prospect? I repeat, A top prospect???
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #1675
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Brett Myers has a torn hip labrum and is out until at least September, if not the rest of the playoffs.

It is a pretty significant blow because it puts a lot of pressure on J.A. Happ to become a significant contributor. At least it looks like Blanton has stablized and Moyer pitched pretty decently in his last start.

Still, it looks likely that the Phils will trade for a starter in June. Based on the Amaro/Gillick track record, I highly doubt they'll go after Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt (who's rumored to be on the block). I could see them going after Brad Penny if the price isn't too high. In fact, Buster Olney has already speculated that a Jason Donald for Brad Penny straight up swap would work best for both Boston and Philadelphia.

Amaro has already said they're not interested in Pedro Martinez and Chan Ho Park is going to remain in the pen (or hopefully taken out back and shot). The team is likely to call up Antonio Bastardo whom has shot up the minor leagues from Single A to AAA in the past year and some team scouts say has "Johan" like qualities. Yet, I bet the Phils would like to give Bastardo another year of seasoning before being called up as he's 23. Meanwhile, Carlos Carrasco, considered the Phils top pitching prospect, has really struggled in AAA this year (0-6, 5.81 ERA).

Are there any other decent mid-level pitchers (like Blanton) who have been rumored to be on the market?

I dunno if Ben Sheets will be ready soon, but he's a guy that they could get for money.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #1676
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
A top prospect? I repeat, A top prospect???

Yes the next Steve Decker...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1677
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

So, I had a football game today that was played during the Cubs game so I had no idea what the end result was until just two minutes ago... but on my way home from my football game I listened to WGN Radio and listened to a few callers and this woman named Teri called into the show.

"Soriano should be not starting for the Cubs. He's lackadaisical in the outfield and he swings and misses everything thrown at him...." She continues to rant on about how much he sucks and she used the word lackadaisical three more times even. At this point, I'm pissed for two reasons, one because I figure the Cubs have lost thanks to this rant I just heard from a fan. And two, Soriano had the third best average on the Cubs(among starters), has the most homers, most RBIs and this woman wants to bench him.. for Reed Johnson no less? WTH is wrong with that woman. YES, Soriano has a tendency to be absolutely worthless some days but he can carry a ball club any given day of the week.

So, anyhow, I figured out why they were ripping on him.. because he went 0-5 today. I figured out why the woman all of a sudden jumped on the Reed Johnson bandwagon; he went 3 for 3.

And I also figured out that Cubs actually won 7-0 today.

Let's win three in a row tomorrow night! GO CUBS!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #1678
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

People at the game were definitely pumped about Wieters. He looked awful as Verlander played with him in his first at bat and he K'd. But then he tripled high off the wall for his first major league hit and then also got a double. Unfortunately, the O's lost but there was a pretty good crowd and the weather was perfect. Fun game, could have gone for an Orioles win, tho.

The stadium and downtown area of Baltimore are great. I'm really impressed. I've been to 3 of the "new" stadiums in San Diego, Houston, and Washington and they all have this feel of a mall colliding with a baseball field which just doesn't feel quite right to me. This is different- everything is wrought iron and brick, with baseball at its core. It feels like the whole downtown was designed with the stadium as a centerpiece of a complete urban renewal where they laid down the stadium and the brick just spilled out for blocks around. The harbor and all of the downtown area is great to walk around in after the game and you feel completely safe and can just enjoy a giant few block party.

SI

Old 05-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #1679
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
So, I had a football game today that was played during the Cubs game so I had no idea what the end result was until just two minutes ago... but on my way home from my football game I listened to WGN Radio and listened to a few callers and this woman named Teri called into the show.

"Soriano should be not starting for the Cubs. He's lackadaisical in the outfield and he swings and misses everything thrown at him...." She continues to rant on about how much he sucks and she used the word lackadaisical three more times even. At this point, I'm pissed for two reasons, one because I figure the Cubs have lost thanks to this rant I just heard from a fan. And two, Soriano had the third best average on the Cubs(among starters), has the most homers, most RBIs and this woman wants to bench him.. for Reed Johnson no less? WTH is wrong with that woman. YES, Soriano has a tendency to be absolutely worthless some days but he can carry a ball club any given day of the week.

So, anyhow, I figured out why they were ripping on him.. because he went 0-5 today. I figured out why the woman all of a sudden jumped on the Reed Johnson bandwagon; he went 3 for 3.

And I also figured out that Cubs actually won 7-0 today.

Let's win three in a row tomorrow night! GO CUBS!

You're familiar with how bad sports talk radio works, right?

Just makes me think of the Gator Fan scenes in Big Trouble

SI

Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #1680
Izulde
Head Coach

Yay!!! 4 runs off Greinke and a 7-4 win!!!! Love that sweep!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #1681
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I absolutely baked at the indians/yankees game today, pisspoor decision to forget to bring sunscreen. On top of that, it was a pretty lousy game. The Indians won on a walk off double I think, by the time the thing hit the ground in the outfield I was on the way out of the stadium.

For the record I follow the Yanks more, but reallly don't have any kind of ties to either squad. We were taking my dad to the game cause he likes the yankees.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #1682
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
People at the game were definitely pumped about Wieters. He looked awful as Verlander played with him in his first at bat and he K'd. But then he tripled high off the wall for his first major league hit and then also got a double. Unfortunately, the O's lost but there was a pretty good crowd and the weather was perfect. Fun game, could have gone for an Orioles win, tho.

The stadium and downtown area of Baltimore are great. I'm really impressed. I've been to 3 of the "new" stadiums in San Diego, Houston, and Washington and they all have this feel of a mall colliding with a baseball field which just doesn't feel quite right to me. This is different- everything is wrought iron and brick, with baseball at its core. It feels like the whole downtown was designed with the stadium as a centerpiece of a complete urban renewal where they laid down the stadium and the brick just spilled out for blocks around. The harbor and all of the downtown area is great to walk around in after the game and you feel completely safe and can just enjoy a giant few block party.

SI

Well, OP@CY has been around for 17 years. Nationals Park is in it's 2nd year. The theory is that it will be part of an urban renewal. We shall see, particularly with the recession that has kicked in.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #1683
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did they get rid of those projects that would have been near whatever the fuck the Ravens stadium is called, and to the one side of Camden? Awesome park, except for the part that was like something out of The Wire.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #1684
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Coming off of today's amazing comeback victory, a short State of the Angels report:

Today's win was absolutely critical. Angels were down 8-1 to the M's, and comeback all the way to win 9-8 in the bottom of the ninth, scoring all o ftheir nine runs in the last four innings.

After blowing the game the night before, which should have been Palmer's sixth victory (he outpitched King Felix), this was absolutely key. The Angels are not coming off of a good homestand. They lost two of three to the White Sox, and then followed it by losing two of three to the M's. But winning today's game the way they did, you can just tell that's exactly the sort of game the Angels needed to get back on the snide. If they don't get a lift from this, nothing's going to get them going (and they need it, Detroit and Tampa at least on this road trip now, I forget the third team but it's not an easy one either, White Sox or Bluejays or some such).

Vlad is back, still waiting for him to get into a groove. Lackey's back, same thing. Santana is back in person, but he didn't bring his ability with him yet. He was responsible for most of today's deficit, and that was after getting blown out by the White Sox last Monday. He's allowed 19 hits in a little over six innings of work his past two starts. So something's not right--he may need to go down to the minors for a start or two to get back into the groove, and work out whatever's going on with him.

The good news about that is that Escobar has been lights out in his rehab starts, and his last scheduled rehad start is tomorrow. Which puts him in line to start for the Angels next Saturday. Considering he was a legit Cy Young candidate in 2007, that's huge. By all reports, his velocity is back and he looks really good.

On the offensive side, it has been a bit hit and miss of late, but the Angels are still doing some good things at the plate. Kendry got the gamewinning hit today, and is making Angels' fans say, "Teix who?". Figgins is having a terrific year leading off. Hunter is a legit MVP candidate at this point. And while he's not hitting homeruns, Abreu is contributing with his patience and line drive stroke, and coming to the Angels has returned him even more to utilizing his speed (more than I was expecting from a 35 year old player). Not all perfect on the offense, Vlad still needs to really get going, Kendrick needs to break out of this awful slump he's in, Abreu and Rivera need to hit for more power, and Scioscia has to get off of his inane love affair with the Aybar-Izturis shortstop set and finally bring up Brandon Wood for good, so this is stil a work in progress.

Still, considering they lost their top three starters and best offensive player, suffered a ton of other injuries here and there that have hurt them, the pen was Gawd awful in April (lost nine of Angels' first 17 losses or something like that, and that doesn't count Fuentes last night), and the whole Adenhart tragedy, I'll take a game over .500 and four games out behind the Rangers right now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #1685
JS19
College Prospect

Santana better get his shit together soon. I'm making a strong push in my fantasy league, close to getting back in somewhat of contention with points in ERA and WHIP, have an awesome outing from Jackson, then bam, Sanatana and Scherzer decide to take the mound.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #1686
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, in the "he's amazing" category, Ichiro extended his hitting streak to 24 games now. I didn't even know he was on that streak.

He still has a long, long way to go from where the national media outlets really start picking it up, but if I had to put together a list of players who could threaten to reach a 40 game hit streak, let's say, he would be at or near the top of the list.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #1687
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Santana better get his shit together soon. I'm making a strong push in my fantasy league, close to getting back in somewhat of contention with points in ERA and WHIP, have an awesome outing from Jackson, then bam, Sanatana and Scherzer decide to take the mound.

I have Schwerzer in one of my leagues, and he killed me, too. FWIW, I don't think I would run Santana out there until he shows he's got it back. Depends on how tight your roster numbers are and what else you got, but I would keep him if I could, as he still has that same ability in him. But it's pretty clear something ain't right right now. I am hoping it is some pitching mechanic thing that he can work through, instead of some relapse of the injury. I would think the former, but you never really know with pitchers. But it's not like Ervin's Lackey and you have to get a crowbar to his mouth to get him to admit he's feeling any pain. Santana has the poker face of a fresh outta boot camp buck private--when he feels pain, it shows. And haven't seen that yet.

Keep in mind, he head tripped away an entire season in 2007. No one's gonna give Santana awards for being stolid and unchanging.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #1688
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BTW, in the "he's amazing" category, Ichiro extended his hitting streak to 24 games now. I didn't even know he was on that streak.

He still has a long, long way to go from where the national media outlets really start picking it up, but if I had to put together a list of players who could threaten to reach a 40 game hit streak, let's say, he would be at or near the top of the list.

I live in Seattle and had no idea he was on that kind of streak
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM   #1689
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I live in Seattle and had no idea he was on that kind of streak

That's probably because Seattle doesn't put out a daily printed paper.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #1690
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That's probably because Seattle doesn't put out a daily printed paper.

Seriously? Wow. That's sort of frightening.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #1691
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just because the Seattle Post-Intelligencer went out of business doesn't mean The Seattle Times did too, CR .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-31-2009 at 07:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #1692
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Just because the Seattle Post-Intelligencer went out of business doesn't mean The Seattle Times did too, CR .

Heh...didn't know about the Seattle Times. Seems like the PI was the only paper I ever heard about up there, when Seattle news was referenced.

Still, sad that local sports ain't following it too tightly (judging from Lathum's comment). What else they got to cover right now? The Sounders? Seahawks minicamps?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #1693
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I thought the PI was still in business, just all online now. Is it done period?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #1694
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yes they do.

The PI closed but there is still the times
Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #1695
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola0- A little late. I don't follow local sports that much but you would think it would be a teaser on the news or something
Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #1696
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Chipper and Escobar back and the Braves offense wakes up with 9 runs. Now if only we could find some outfielders.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #1697
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Suck it, Cardinals.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #1698
Tasan
College Starter

Finally got to get out to the ballpark this season. I caught the Rangers/A's double header in Arlington. Loved the sweep and the games were enjoyable (well for a Ranger's fan at least).
Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #1699
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Chipper and Escobar back and the Braves offense wakes up with 9 runs. Now if only we could find some outfielders.

The current situation is an absolute disgrace. There has to be somebody out there the Braves could trade for who is at least below average instead of terrible.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #1700
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
There has to be somebody out there the Braves could trade for who is at least below average instead of terrible.

Well having Joe Borchard at AAA definitely wasn't a successful Plan B for them (he hit a robust .119 in 12 games before being released, now with the Fresno Giants)

The next most obvious step I think would be to send Schaefer down and call Brandon Jones back up. He's not going to hit a lot I don't think but it couldn't be much worse and he did go 5 for 13 in 5 games earlier in the year and his .257 avg / .313 OBP / .678 OPS in 51 games last season is as good or better in each than what we've gotten from Schaefer, Anderson, and Francouer so far this year.