Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #1651
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Is that Peyton's first Superbowl win or his second Superbowl win?

His third. #alternativefacts (is that still a thing?)

I am glad he's made it illegal to do honor killings in the US, that was such a scourge before. I hope he goes after unicorn sex next.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #1652
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
He graduated from Wharton at Penn, top of his class, right?

Not really.

Yes, Donald Trump really went to an Ivy League school - The Washington Post

Quote:
When he was young, he went to the private Kew-Forest School in Forest Hills, Queens, where his father, Frederick, a very wealthy real estate developer, was on the governing board. Behavior problems led to Donald’s exit from the school, at which point he was sent to the New York Military Academy at age 13 by his parents, who, according to Biography.com, hoped “the discipline of the school would channel his energy in a positive manner.”

He did well there, and then went to Fordham University, a Jesuit school in the Bronx, for two years, before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania and studied economics for two years, graduating in 1968 with a bachelor’s degree. He took undergraduate classes at Penn’s famed Wharton School of Business. Though he was not enrolled in Wharton’s prestigious MBA program, the Spring 2007 Wharton Alumni Magazine featured Trump, with this headline, “The Best Brand Name in Real Estate.”

The University of Pennsylvania is one of the eight private colleges and universities in the vaunted Ivy League, known for accepting unusually smart students, great test takers, legacies, and the sons and daughters of famous and/or very wealthy people.

How did Trump get into the University of Pennsylvania?

A 2011 Salon magazine article refers to a 2001 book called “The Trumps: Three Generations That Built an Empire,” by Gwenda Blair. It says that Trump’s grades at Fordham, a Jesuit school in New York, had been “respectable,” and that he was admitted to Penn after an interview with a “friendly” Wharton admissions officer who was an old classmate of Trump’s older brother.

The article also points out that Trump has happily allowed the media to report that he graduated first in his class from Wharton, including in New York Times stories in 1973 and 1976 about him. But the story goes on to say:

Quote:
Writing in the New York Times magazine in 1984, William Geist reported that “the commencement program from 1968 does not list him as graduating with honors of any kind,” even though “just about every profile ever written about Mr. Trump states that he graduated first in his class at Wharton in 1968.” … In 1988, New York magazine reported that the idea that Trump had graduated first in his class was a “myth.”
[emphasis by Salon]
Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #1653
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I do the same but keep keys/ID/credit cards in the pocket of my water bottle.

When I go running, I wear an ID bracelet with contact info on it.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #1654
Easy Mac

I just took a picture of my drivers' license and have that on my phone. Even though I always have a good tan, I assume cops won't stop me.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #1655
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So this could drag on for another week if someone tells him that Brady got bigger standing ovations than Peyton, right?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #1656
Kodos
Resident Alien

This is from a public library a couple of towns over.
Attached Images
File Type: png AltFacts.png (680.2 KB, 162 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #1657
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That could be a Trump endgame. Do everything via executive order, and then "see? I told you I could do it, it was easy" then resign and blame everything running aground on congress and the courts ruining his perfect plans.

Well, to borrow from Ben, I don't think he's thought it out in this 3D chess sort of way.

I think that he sincerely and honestly thinks that that's how the Presidency works. You are the boss. You say things, and people do them. And if they don't, you fire them and get new people. That's how his life has worked ever since he started owning his own companies.

That's how he campaigned. I will fix it. I will make it better. Trust me. He didn't say things like "I will work with Congress and the existing administrative state to solve these problems."

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-26-2017 at 09:34 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #1658
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

so the endgame might be as you say. But that is not the plan at this point.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #1659
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So this could drag on for another week if someone tells him that Brady got bigger standing ovations than Peyton, right?

He will claim that the Brady ovations were really for him, because everyone knows Brady is his friend.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #1660
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
This is from a public library a couple of towns over.

I give it about 45 minutes until all he pulls all federal funds from public libraries.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #1661
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
He didn't say things like "I will work with Congress and the existing administrative state to solve these problems."

That would have been rather foolish on the campaign trail since neither of those things work particularly well very often. Although, technically, the use of executive orders IS part of "the existing administrative state".

Here's the thing: he's already gone against all convention as a candidate, and that turned out rather well. I'm very fine with an unconventional approach to his Presidency.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #1662
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Here's the thing: he's already gone against all convention as a candidate, and that turned out rather well. I'm very fine with an unconventional approach to his Presidency.

I agree with this. For the half of the country that supported him, his approach makes sense and is expected. He would lose some of that base support if he suddenly started acting like the negotiator-in-chief.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #1663
bob
College Starter

The State Department’s entire senior management team just resigned - The Washington Post
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #1664
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I doubt that fazes the Administration at all. If anything, that's welcome news. They don't have to bother to fire most of these people. They have no blood on their hands and now put people in their place that they feel are more appropriate for the position.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #1665
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I doubt that fazes the Administration at all. If anything, that's welcome news. They don't have to bother to fire most of these people. They have no blood on their hands and now put people in their place that they feel are more appropriate for the position.

While the prevailing headline is "resigns", this from _CNN_ national security guy Jim Sciutto

Quote:
Jim Sciutto ‏@jimsciutto 13m13 minutes ago
More
Breaking: Four top @StateDept Mgmt officials all fired by Trump admin, part of effort to "clean house" - officials tell @eliselabottcnn

Assuming those are the same people (as opposed to being four more people) interesting to see the different slant from within the same new organization
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #1666
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While the prevailing headline is "resigns", this from _CNN_ national security guy Jim Sciutto

Assuming those are the same people (as opposed to being four more people) interesting to see the different slant from within the same new organization

There you go. Actually, that makes far more sense. Trump is never one to avoid blood on his hands. Makes far more sense that he was going to have them fired and they said, "Fired? Nope, I resign!"
Old 01-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #1667
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Keep fucking that chicken fellas.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #1668
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post

A very Trump-esque posting tactic. Well done.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #1669
AlexB
Pro Starter

The America First theme is something I could get behind, if American, but I did love the phrase 'clean, beautiful coal'!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #1670
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I just dont see how anyone who watched the interview or read the transcript doesnt go "holy shit I cant believe we elected that guy". And then worse - defends the stuff he vomits. Liberals, conservatives, populists, rednecks, hippies, immigrants, Missourians - anyone

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-26-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #1671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just dont see how anyone who watched the interview or read the transcript doesnt go "holy shit I cant believe we elected that guy". And then worse - defends the stuff he vomits. Liberals, conservatives, populists, rednecks, hippies, immigrants, Missourians - anyone

Looking at the executive orders thus far, I don't really much care if he gives his interviews in Klingon.

He has exceeded my (admittedly limited) expectations thus far.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #1672
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Quite the contrary. I haven't defended much of what he SAID at all. I judge a president on his actions. Thus far, I've found little to complain about. He's repealed Obamacare, he's called out big business on overseas trading, he's cleaning house in federal department positions, and he's building a wall on the southern border along with additional enforcement resources (Mexico isn't paying for it, but anyone who thought that they would is a true idiot). I also like some of the other things he's proposing regarding the economy.

He doesn't appeal to me at all as a person, but I really don't care. I didn't vote for him anyway. I just want him to make good decisions that benefit our country. He's generally done that so far IMO.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #1673
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
He's repealed Obamacare

He's done nothing with Obama care yet. He signed an empty executive order. He doesn't have the power to repeal Obamacare. I'm not denying that Republicans are going to chip away, but he can't just sign an executive order and make it happen. BTW, I would have loved to be in the meeting when that was explained to him.

Quote:
I also like some of the other things he's proposing regarding the economy.

I honestly think a lot of presidents could come up with good economic policy and ideas if they could completely ignore the budget and future debt.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-26-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #1674
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
BTW, I would have loved to be in the meeting when that was explained to him.

Speaking of being in meetings with him...

https://imgur.com/a/TSrPJ

@WhitehouseLeaks - Twitter Search

(I do not know if that is the same person as the first iteration, or if any of this is for real. But it's good reading, and is certainly plausible.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-26-2017 at 01:48 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #1675
Atocep
Coordinator

The federal hiring freeze also has a direct impact on me. My wife is on orders to PCS to another duty station here in the US and until the freeze is lifted I can't transfer.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #1676
Easy Mac

20% tax on Mexican imports... I guess we can say goodbye to tableside guac.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #1677
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
The federal hiring freeze also has a direct impact on me. My wife is on orders to PCS to another duty station here in the US and until the freeze is lifted I can't transfer.

So Sorry. It's always normal folks who get caught in the cross-fire in these stupid symbolic stunts.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #1678
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
He's done nothing with Obama care yet. He signed an empty executive order. He doesn't have the power to repeal Obamacare. I'm not denying that Republicans are going to chip away, but he can't just sign an executive order and make it happen. BTW, I would have loved to be in the meeting when that was explained to him.

We're splitting hairs here. Obamacare is gone once they put together a replacement plan. If you're disputing that, you're delusional.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #1679
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
We're splitting hairs here. Obamacare is gone once they put together a replacement plan. If you're disputing that, you're delusional.

It's not splitting hairs when we're talking about the difference between something being done and something being several months if not a couple years away from really happening.

Trump doesn't have the power to repeal Obamacare. You said he repealed it.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #1680
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

not sure if anyone has seen this yet
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #1681
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not splitting hairs when we're talking about the difference between something being done and something being several months if not a couple years away from really happening.

Trump doesn't have the power to repeal Obamacare. You said he repealed it.

And the "once they put together a replacement," could be a while given the lack of one for over six years.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 PM   #1682
Easy Mac

Quote:
And the "once they put together a replacement," could be a while given the lack of one for over six years.

To be fair, Congress is always the kids in class who does his homework when he gets dropped off for school in the morning.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #1683
rjolley
College Starter

About the State Department firings/resignations, isn't that normal when a new President comes into office, especially from the other party? So, that's basically much ado about nothing?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #1684
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Same here. Like sometimes he articulates on an issue like the H1B visas and you're like maybe he's got good ideas and is just an over-the-top personality.

But read the transcript of the interview. He spends like 5 minutes talking about some ovation he got at the CIA. He insinuates that Obama won in 2008 because the election was rigged. Goes on and on about the inauguration attendance. Talks about committing war crimes and breaking international law. Says we should steal resources from sovereign allies. I honestly think he is mentally ill.

TRANSCRIPT: ABC News Anchor David Muir Interviews President Trump - ABC News

I think you've said it well for me. I think he has maybe/good ideas but he goes over the top with weird statements/misdirections/exaggerations/lies etc.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #1685
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wanting to stifle the press, very American.

Trump Strategist Steve Bannon Says Media Should ‘Keep Its Mouth Shut’

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-26-2017 at 05:14 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #1686
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks for clearing that up, cuervo. I read in an old Sports Illustrated article from 1984 about the USFL that Trump was first in his class.

That's amazing... you go back over three decades and you still see Trump throwing up smoke and mirrors and exaggerations, if not lies.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:23 PM   #1687
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's amazing... you go back over three decades and you still see Trump throwing up smoke and mirrors and exaggerations, if not lies.

You mean alternative facts?
Old 01-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #1688
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
(Mexico isn't paying for it, but anyone who thought that they would is a true idiot).

The people that voted for him thought that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #1689
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah and the extra 5 pounds I put on over the holidays is gone once I start eating better and exercising. How is it splitting hairs? He hasn't done it yet and doesn't have a replacement plan.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-26-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #1690
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Quite the contrary. I haven't defended much of what he SAID at all. I judge a president on his actions. Thus far, I've found little to complain about. He's repealed Obamacare, he's called out big business on overseas trading, he's cleaning house in federal department positions, and he's building a wall on the southern border along with additional enforcement resources (Mexico isn't paying for it, but anyone who thought that they would is a true idiot). I also like some of the other things he's proposing regarding the economy.

He doesn't appeal to me at all as a person, but I really don't care. I didn't vote for him anyway. I just want him to make good decisions that benefit our country. He's generally done that so far IMO.
If we're talking about his actions and policies only, I also like a lot of them. I'm glad he's challenging big business on overseas trading, killing off TPP, cleaning house, and doing something to reinforce the wall on the border (which already exists, by the way, albeit not very secure). As for Obamacare, if he and the Republicans have a replacement that is going to provide insurance for everyone - not "provide access", but actually give it to everybody, which would be a massive improvement over Obamacare - I'm all for it.

HOWEVER... did he have to do all of that other crap (offend Mexicans and Muslims, make fun of a disabled reporter, throw out unsubstantiated claims about 3 million people illegally voting, exaggerating/lying about other things, etc., etc., etc.)? If he just promoted his policies without being a jerk, I would have been alright with him being in office. Just do the job without all that extra stuff.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #1691
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
You mean alternative facts?
Oops... thanks for fixing that for me.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #1692
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
About the State Department firings/resignations, isn't that normal when a new President comes into office, especially from the other party? So, that's basically much ado about nothing?

AFAIK, everyone in a position that is appointed by an administration (President, members of his Cabinet, etc) hands in a letter of resignation. The new administration can choose to not accept the resignation and keep them on.

What seems to be out of the ordinary here is that even when the resignation is accepted, the person in the role will stay on until a new person is appointed/confirmed/etc. That isn't happening. These people were all shown the door and it could be weeks, if not months, before the positions are filled again.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #1693
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
As for Obamacare, if he and the Republicans have a replacement that is going to provide insurance for everyone - not "provide access", but actually give it to everybody, which would be a massive improvement over Obamacare - I'm all for it.

Even if Trump wanted to do that, there's no way in hell Ayn Rand lover Paul Ryan would let it happen. The GOP replacement plan is going to be based around competition across state lines and severely underfunded high risk pools.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #1694
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's what could be a horrible analogy, but it seems to fit:

Let's say the last eight years is a car.

It transitions to a new model, and it changes things around. A lot. It's not what the traditionalists like, but for some people, it's better. But then folks at the factory start gumming up the works because they want to go back to the way things were. So they start throwing small monkey wrenches in the works. And they start ranking each other on who can throw the most blatant monkey wrench in the works while it still works.. (barely).. then comes in a hotshot mechanic who promises that he can make the car just like the good old days. He can fix everything. He can make the car great again. Day One. You bet!

Then on Day One, He tries to throw the transmission in gear, and there's nine million monkey wrenches in the works and the whole car promptly shits itself and drops itself on the floor like the Bluesmobile at the end of the Blues Brothers

That's what I see it as.. They've been the party of No for so long, and didn't have to come up with a plan, and the victory came as such a surprise (and the candidate such a loose cannon) that they have no clue what to do. So Trump's trying to do his agenda, Ryan and Crew are trying to shoot the Obamacare hostage while they can (because once the ACA is all gone, they can make the Dems come to them for the replacement), except Trump is making grandiose promises that the replacement will be at the same time).. the defense hawks want a bigger budget, the wall needs to be built, the deficit hawks are screaming..

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-26-2017 at 06:28 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #1695
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:

Wait...So you consider it a forgone conclusion that four individuals conspired together to "stick it to the man" and quit their jobs for some altruistic message that 48 hours from now nobody will remember except the families of these poor folks?.....Ok.

I don't think there's four people in Washington- much less the State Department- willing to fall on their swords like that.....I think I mean that sincerely.

...By the way- just for clarification- I am no raging fan of Trump; He comes across a spoiled simpleton who several in this thread have analogized quite accurately already. I voted for Trump, but mostly for my outright disdain for Hilary and her utter disconnect with the values I hold. Having said that- and as others have alluded, I don't care if he's a raging windbag as long as his actions reflect his campaign promises. When was the last time a President did that- this quickly?

I also have this nagging feeling he won't make it twelve months without doing something so colossally stupid he gets himself impeached. Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by BigPapi : 01-26-2017 at 06:39 PM.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #1696
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
The people that voted for him thought that.

See- it's generalizations like that that got Trump elected. Smart enough to know what I'm thinking- and that I'm an idiot. Why weren't you on the ballot?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #1697
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
See- it's generalizations like that that got Trump elected. Smart enough to know what I'm thinking- and that I'm an idiot. Why weren't you on the ballot?

I didn't call them idiots, MBBF did. And yes, my generalization is that voters of a candidate take them at their word for what they promise. That's not a huge stretch.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #1698
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump has the lowest approval ratings of any incoming president. To say this is working for him is ignoring the only data we have.

Now, none of this really matters in terms of 2020. He'll either have fulfilled his promises and win or he won't and he'll lose. A reelection is a referendum on that candidate. Assuming the Dems run someone of even average capability, the race will be almost solely on what Trump has accomplished.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #1699
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Trump has the lowest approval ratings of any incoming president. To say this is working for him is ignoring the only data we have.

You kept using that same logic during the election. How'd that work out?
Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #1700
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
I didn't call them idiots, MBBF did. And yes, my generalization is that voters of a candidate take them at their word for what they promise. That's not a huge stretch.

Did Trump promise Mexico would build the wall- or that a wall would be built? Because most voters took Trump at his word that he would build a wall -I agree. If he promised Mexico would pay for it I missed it; either way I would have dismissed that part under political rhetoric- as I think most did- as MBBF I think was implying.