Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #1651
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Maybe parents and chaperones that otherwise would be at the game?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #1652
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Jose Dariel Abreu reportedly defects from Cuba. 26 year old 1st baseman and one of the two best Cuban hitters along with Despaigne. Don't know if he'll match Puig and Cespesdes instant impacts because he lacks their athleticism, but his numbers in Cuba dwarfed theirs. .453/.597/.986 2 years ago.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #1653
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Pretty interesting article on Yahoo today about Trout being more deserving of the MVP because of how little he's paid. I'm actually surprised it has taken this long for the topic to be brought up (and that I haven't heard it before or thought of it myself) - isn't he more valuable to his team simply because he allows more of the payroll to be spent elsewhere?

What say ye, FOFC Baseball fans? Should a player's salary have anything to do with MVP votes?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #1654
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Pretty interesting article on Yahoo today about Trout being more deserving of the MVP because of how little he's paid. I'm actually surprised it has taken this long for the topic to be brought up (and that I haven't heard it before or thought of it myself) - isn't he more valuable to his team simply because he allows more of the payroll to be spent elsewhere?

What say ye, FOFC Baseball fans? Should a player's salary have anything to do with MVP votes?

Not when the vote has never been about how valuable a player is to their team. It is always about who is the best player in the league for that year.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #1655
Easy Mac

But all I heard last year by the AVG/HR/RBI people is how the Tigers won their division, while the Angels missed the playoffs, so that means it is about how valuable a player is to his team.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #1656
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
But all I heard last year by the AVG/HR/RBI people is how the Tigers won their division, while the Angels missed the playoffs, so that means it is about how valuable a player is to his team.

Pretty sure that most of the AVG/HR/RBI people were saying how he won the triple crown, and since that particular stat set is very important to the history of baseball, it was pretty much a slam dunk.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #1657
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Absolutely not. That would be an awful way to decide the award. For example, maybe Cabrera makes 20 million but is 20% of the tigers payroll and Cano makes 20 million but is only 8% of the Yankess payroll, so then Cano is MVP? Or what about Trout who only makes 3 million, and is only 3% of their teams payroll.

It's just stupid
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #1658
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Absolutely not. That would be an awful way to decide the award. For example, maybe Cabrera makes 20 million but is 20% of the tigers payroll and Cano makes 20 million but is only 8% of the Yankess payroll, so then Cano is MVP? Or what about Trout who only makes 3 million, and is only 3% of their teams payroll.

It's just stupid
+1

Mayyyybe I could see it if a player took a huge discount, but the only reason Trout is so cheap is because he's a pre-arb player who has literally no choice but to play for peanuts.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #1659
Easy Mac

Quote:

It's just stupid

Trout actually makes 0.4% of the Angels payroll, Cabrera 13%, and Cano about 5.5%.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #1660
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Trout actually makes 0.4% of the Angels payroll, Cabrera 13%, and Cano about 5.5%.

Its so stupid of an idea to me, I wasn't going to put the time in to look at the actual numbers.

Last edited by Danny : 08-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #1661
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
+1

Mayyyybe I could see it if a player took a huge discount, but the only reason Trout is so cheap is because he's a pre-arb player who has literally no choice but to play for peanuts.

And then the MVP every year will be the best player who is in his first couple seasons in the bigs. Jose Fernandez should be the NL MVP
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #1662
Suicane75
Coordinator

Does anyone think Puig sniffs the MVP this year? Top 5? Top 10? In almost any way you look at it he deserves major consideration, but I doubt he'll get much love.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #1663
Danny
Head Coach

The fact there is no Cabrera type performance helps him, but I dont think he deserves it unless he lights it up big time the last 45 games
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #1664
Danny
Head Coach

I think McCutchen or Kershaw deserve it right now
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #1665
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Does anyone think Puig sniffs the MVP this year? Top 5? Top 10? In almost any way you look at it he deserves major consideration, but I doubt he'll get much love.

To be honest I'm not even sure he sniffs Rookie of the Year. If a Dodger wins that award, I think it's going to be Ryu.

Don't get me wrong. I love Puig. I love the energy he's brought with his play style, and I think he's going to be a good-to-great Dodger for a long time.

But there are dudes on his own team I'd take ahead of him for either RoY (Ryu) or MVP (Kershaw) right now.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #1666
Suicane75
Coordinator

Good point on the ROTY thing, hadn't thought of Ryu. This would be the kind of year where a dominant pitcher wins MVP too. I can't really think of too many candidates. Upton, Goldschmidt.....
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #1667
Danny
Head Coach

Jose Fernandez is the rookie of the year right now
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1668
rowech
Pro Starter

McCutchen gets MVP as long as Pittsburgh wins division.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1669
Danny
Head Coach

I disagree about Ryu though, I would take Puig over him for ROY right now
Old 08-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #1670
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Good point on the ROTY thing, hadn't thought of Ryu. This would be the kind of year where a dominant pitcher wins MVP too. I can't really think of too many candidates. Upton, Goldschmidt.....

See, I feel like Goldschmidt (*spits*) should be MVP. He won't be, though, because Arizona is in a fade.

Kershaw could be, but he doesn't have the winz total to back him up the way Verlander did a year or two ago. He's having an incredible season, but getting no run support, and the voters will punish him for it when MVP voting rolls around. As a result, it's gonna be McCutchen's award to lose. He's got the name recognition (can you name the best player on the Braves? I'm not sure I could name their starting lineup), and we saw last year in the AL MVP race that the Old Guard still has an edge on the sabermetrics crowd. For that reason, if no other, unless Puig has an otherworldly final 45 games (I'm talking about Manny-in-2008 level) to go with what he's done already, there is zero chance he takes the award from McCutchen. I think the best he can probably do is make it close, but if you think the old guard was bristly at the idea that Trout could be better than a Triple Crown winner, imagine how they're gonna feel about a kid with about three months under his belt being touted as the MVP ahead of McCutchen.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #1671
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
(can you name the best player on the Braves? I'm not sure I could name their starting lineup)

If it's any consolation, I'm not sure you could get an absolute consensus on who that "best player" is. Not even from people who watch them everyday (well, maybe the most familiar would manage to coalesce around Freeman, who would be my pick)

It's even the subject of a local sportswriter's column today
Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #1672
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
See, I feel like Goldschmidt (*spits*) should be MVP. He won't be, though, because Arizona is in a fade.

Kershaw could be, but he doesn't have the winz total to back him up the way Verlander did a year or two ago. He's having an incredible season, but getting no run support, and the voters will punish him for it when MVP voting rolls around. As a result, it's gonna be McCutchen's award to lose. He's got the name recognition (can you name the best player on the Braves? I'm not sure I could name their starting lineup), and we saw last year in the AL MVP race that the Old Guard still has an edge on the sabermetrics crowd. For that reason, if no other, unless Puig has an otherworldly final 45 games (I'm talking about Manny-in-2008 level) to go with what he's done already, there is zero chance he takes the award from McCutchen. I think the best he can probably do is make it close, but if you think the old guard was bristly at the idea that Trout could be better than a Triple Crown winner, imagine how they're gonna feel about a kid with about three months under his belt being touted as the MVP ahead of McCutchen.

Someone could still steal the award from Cutch. His standard triple crown numbers are not that great.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1673
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I do hope Mike Trout wins the MVP soon, so we can stop having so many articles written about why Mike Trout should win the MVP.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #1674
Danny
Head Coach

Cabrera has it locked up as long as he stays healthy.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1675
SackAttack
Head Coach

Who, though? Yadier Molina? Joey Votto? There's nobody in the NL having a Bonds or A-Rod type season where even if the team doesn't make the playoffs, their numbers are so overwhelming that they'd win the award regardless.

Gomez and Wright are having very good years, but not so good that they can overcome having their respective teams chained to their ankles.

I'm just not seeing anybody in the NL outside of those three with a realistic chance of winning the award unless either Arizona recovers in the last month and a half and Goldschmidt leads them or the "Puig as MVP?" narrative that I've started to hear on talk radio in the last day or two has legs.

And, I reiterate, even if Puig sustains his season for the final six weeks, I don't think that ends up being enough to convince the voters to take the award away from one of the three NL Central bats to give it to him.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1676
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Cabrera has it locked up as long as he stays healthy.

That's pouring gasoline on the fire. Nothing produces more "Mike Trout should win the MVP" articles than Cabrera being the front runner for the MVP.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #1677
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Who, though? Yadier Molina? Joey Votto? There's nobody in the NL having a Bonds or A-Rod type season where even if the team doesn't make the playoffs, their numbers are so overwhelming that they'd win the award regardless.

Gomez and Wright are having very good years, but not so good that they can overcome having their respective teams chained to their ankles.

I'm just not seeing anybody in the NL outside of those three with a realistic chance of winning the award unless either Arizona recovers in the last month and a half and Goldschmidt leads them or the "Puig as MVP?" narrative that I've started to hear on talk radio in the last day or two has legs.

And, I reiterate, even if Puig sustains his season for the final six weeks, I don't think that ends up being enough to convince the voters to take the award away from one of the three NL Central bats to give it to him.

Votto or Goldschmidt could overtake him. Yes, if the status quo continues than Cutch has it locked up, but a couple down months from him and a hot month or two from Votto or Gold could turn the table. I also still think Kershaw has a chance if he can put together a winning streak.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #1678
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Votto or Goldschmidt could overtake him. Yes, if the status quo continues than Cutch has it locked up, but a couple down months from him and a hot month or two from Votto or Gold could turn the table.

I have to admit that I thought Cutch was better than he is in the counting stats columns. A slump down the stretch & he might find himself outside of the top 10 in all three traditional categories. And I believe that very well could open the door for Goldschmidt or someone else that's already in the discussion if they got hot at the same time.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #1679
rowech
Pro Starter

I know Votto's numbers are good, and he's easily the Reds best hitter, but in a lot of ways, the Reds MVP might be Choo.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #1680
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yu got robbed. Lost his bid for a perfect game on a missed strike call with 2 out in the 6th. Pierzynski got tossed after arguing the call.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #1681
Danny
Head Coach

Still can go for the no hitter
Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #1682
Danny
Head Coach

the high pitch count will be troublesome though
Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #1683
MrBug708
Head Coach

Give the MVP to Kershaw
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #1684
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And there goes the no hitter. And shutout.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #1685
cartman
Death Herald

Stellar performance from Yu. 8 innings, one walk, one hit, one earned run, and 15 strikeouts.

I wonder what his numbers look like pitching at Minute Maid Park this season. Not sure if he's pitched another game there besides the near-perfect game his first start of the season.

Last edited by cartman : 08-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #1686
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

looks like it just caught the zone

Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #1687
cartman
Death Herald

There have been 8 games this season where a pitcher has struck out 14 or more batters. Yu has 5 of them.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #1688
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amusing watching the Royals game tonight. My fraternity brother (Brian Knight) is the ump behind the plate tonight. Fans are heckling him pretty good right now about his strike zone. He's actually a big Chiefs and Royals fan when he's not on the field officiating them.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #1689
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Man dead after fall from upper deck at Turner Field | www.wsbtv.com
Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #1690
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Such sad news when incidents like this happen at sporting events, or any event for that matter.

Prayers to the family and friends.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #1691
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Atlanta Braves fan was standing alone before fatal fall at Turner Field, police report says - ESPN

Give or take the exact section, I'm pretty familiar with where this would have happened. Have even stood there talking on the phone with my folks (just as he did according to witnesses) quite a few times.

Not somewhere that, even with my awful fear of heights, I think of as particularly dangerous. So either there'll be something in the toxicology or else I have to think this was some truly freak accident. Dropped something & tried to catch it? A slip/trip & fall in the worst possible spot?

I just can't figure how you could just fall over the rail there without something going horribly awry.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1692
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The best measure of range is the Baseball Info Solutions' plus/minus metric, which measures how many plays a player makes relative to the average. Although Andrelton Simmons didn't debut until 2012, his plus-57 is more than any player has had over the past three seasons. His plus-30 is the best in the majors this season, with Manny Machado right behind him at plus-25.

He only played in 49 games last year plus the 115 he's played this year. Yet he leads all shortstops in +/- over the last 3 seasons. That's Ozzie Smith territory.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #1693
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I wonder how much Groundball vs. Flyball pitchers affect that metric.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #1694
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I can think of some other things that would affect that, too, like field affects or playing behind a high strikeout staff.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1695
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fan graphs say last 3 years MLB GB/FB ratios are
1.24, 1.33, 1.30 (so far this year)

Braves are
1.47, 1.46, 1.41 (so far this year)
Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1696
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Crazy how many fantastic defensive shortstops there are in the league right now. Simmons, Ryan, Crawford...
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #1697
cartman
Death Herald

The Manny experiment for the Rangers is over. He was released from AAA Round Rock today.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #1698
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice non catch there... Go Cardinals!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #1699
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds hit .143 over the past three games and are 3-0.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #1700
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Reds hit .143 over the past three games and are 3-0.

Yet Brook Jacoby somehow continues to keep his job. Their offense minus 4 guys is horrendous.