Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #16701
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What ... you mean everybody doesn't finish Tuesday's work at 513a on Wednesday?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #16702
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Oof. Going through and cataloguing some old pics from my days in youth ministry. Ran across a pic of a kid I knew quite well but haven't heard from, isn't on FB, etc. Googled him and found out he's a serial child molester. Arrests in 2005, 2007, and 2010. Convictions all three times.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #16703
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Wait a second, they let him out so soon even after the second conviction?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #16704
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Wait a second, they let him out so soon even after the second conviction?
Based on what I'm finding online, it appears that he didn't go to prison for the 2005 offense. I guess he copped a plea then. (His family was not "wealthy," but reasonably well off enough that I'm assuming there were sufficient resources to get a decent attorney.) I found a reference to an article about the first arrest, but the link is dead, and when I go to the Wayback Machine I get "Sorry. This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine." No news articles at all in reference to the 2007 and 2010 arrests, but I guess that's an advantage of committing a crime in a big city: diluted news coverage. Kinda surprising, even in Atlanta, though, because the 2010 child molestation arrest also included public indecency and enticing a child for indecent purposes. I would have expected a third-timer getting caught in public would have generated some buzz, but other than at the GDC web site and sites like mugshots.com, I can barely find a whiff of it, and his last name is unusual enough that he's the only person in the GDC database that has it. It wouldn't think it'd be difficult to find if it were out there anywhere else on the internets.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #16705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just so I can let a few of the long-time regulars here feel a little older ... today is my kid's 19th birthday.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #16706
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just so I can let a few of the long-time regulars here feel a little older ... today is my kid's 19th birthday.

That makes me feel a little old; but knowing that my youngest niece turns 30 this year is making me feel older... she was born on the day I graduated high school.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #16707
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Bite me.

My oldest turned 21 last month. And we are visiting colleges for my youngest. She was 1 when I joined FOFC. Sigh.

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 04-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #16708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I am considerably f'n annoyed with myself for forgetting about my driver's license renewal last week.

It really doesn't change much of anything about the process -- I still have the hassle of the same documentation (I made it just fine 50 yrs w/out a damned "certified" copy of my birth certificate) -- but I'm still annoyed by the forgetting.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #16709
PilotMan
Head Coach

My dog has been at the vet boarding for the last week plus. Is it wrong that I don't want to go get her and didn't really miss her at all?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #16710
Kodos
Resident Alien

Better the dog than your wife.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #16711
tarcone
Coordinator

Nope. We are ready for our dog to go to the big dog house in the sky.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #16712
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Oof. Going through and cataloguing some old pics from my days in youth ministry. Ran across a pic of a kid I knew quite well but haven't heard from, isn't on FB, etc. Googled him and found out he's a serial child molester. Arrests in 2005, 2007, and 2010. Convictions all three times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Based on what I'm finding online, it appears that he didn't go to prison for the 2005 offense. I guess he copped a plea then. (His family was not "wealthy," but reasonably well off enough that I'm assuming there were sufficient resources to get a decent attorney.) I found a reference to an article about the first arrest, but the link is dead, and when I go to the Wayback Machine I get "Sorry. This URL has been excluded from the Wayback Machine." No news articles at all in reference to the 2007 and 2010 arrests, but I guess that's an advantage of committing a crime in a big city: diluted news coverage. Kinda surprising, even in Atlanta, though, because the 2010 child molestation arrest also included public indecency and enticing a child for indecent purposes. I would have expected a third-timer getting caught in public would have generated some buzz, but other than at the GDC web site and sites like mugshots.com, I can barely find a whiff of it, and his last name is unusual enough that he's the only person in the GDC database that has it. It wouldn't think it'd be difficult to find if it were out there anywhere else on the internets.
Uncomfortable side note to this. My recollection now of the order of operations on Friday is that it was...

1. Found picture of "Eli."
2. "Huh. Surprised I've never heard from Eli on social media."
3. Search on FB using just last name, since an odd one and likely to have mutual friends.
4. See Eli's mom (who I also knew quite well) and friend-request her.
5. Google Eli, since no FB profile to be found.

Of course, the results from item #5 made me completely forget that I'd done item #4. She accepted the request this morning. I normally make a point when friending someone from far back to check in with them, how's the family, etc. Yeah, uh, not gonna do that. I guess I'll just leave it out there. *shurg*
Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #16713
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Better the dog than your wife.

She'd have never made it 9 days at the vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Nope. We are ready for our dog to go to the big dog house in the sky.

Exactly. I keep initialing that dnr on her intake paperwork and cross my fingers every time. I do feel bad though. She's loves it there, totally ignores us when we pick her up, and is one of their favorite dogs that goes to stay there. They're always "awww, Dixie's leaving today?"

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #16714
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe let her stay and become their mascot.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #16715
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW as someone who had top put down my 13 year old lab two weeks ago....if she isnt making you wag your tail everytime you see her, find her another home. She will make someone else's life brighter and improve the rest of hers.

Dogs shouldnt feel like an old pair of shoes you dont toss out because they are too convenient. They should interact with you and each make each others lives better.

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #16716
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
FWIW as someone who had top put down my 13 year old lab two weeks ago....if she isnt making you wag your tail everytime you see her, find her another home. She will make someone else's life brighter and improve the rest of hers.

Dogs shouldnt feel like an old pair of shoes you dont toss out because they are too convenient. They should interact with you and each make each others lives better.

Man, I wish. She was a pound rescue, was older (not nearly as old as they thought though) and was a few days from being put down back then. She's always been a head case (she was clearly abused and never recovered from it) and hardly ever interactive with us. We adopted Dixie because our other dog had become depressed after her other buddy (together 10 years) passed away and she was very submissive and let Echo be the alpha again. It worked and prolonged Echo's life. We've given her a good life, but it is what it is. She's not trustworthy at all, have to tie her up in a fenced yard or she'll run. Have to crate her at night or she'll pee. As a beagle mix she exudes this awful beagle smell when she gets stressed (which can be frequently.) We've had her 8 years, and we figure she's closing in on 13 now. She's lived a good life with us. I've never seen a dog really give as little to a family as she does. Our cat beats her for that hands down.

Like Steam?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #16717
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I've never seen a dog really give as little to a family as she does. Our cat beats her for that hands down.

I know I am pinpointing on a certain part of your entire message, but I am going to focus on this and back up what CU Tiger said.

I am also remembering that I commented on one of your posts about this dog before awhile back. Maybe she doesn't give to your family because your family (maybe you) dont give to her. I know it can be a Catch-22 and a vicious circle, but you should have caught onto that years ago and done the right thing and given her a family that wanted her. I've read many of your posts before and you seem like a damn intelligent person, but in this case, I think you did the wrong thing long ago and if the opportunity arises (and maybe it has at that Vet clinic), you should take it and see if that is an option.

Your post about not wanting your dog sort of bothers me. I cannot wait to see mine every other week.

Last edited by hollmt : 04-17-2017 at 01:52 PM.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #16718
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

And Fwiw beagles as a species are very bondy with humans. They are pack hunters and need to be in a pack
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #16719
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So seriously what's the fucking point of a dime? I'm fighting a losing battle at work cause my "just give them 2 nickels" approach to making change is not taking over. Instead these part invalids keep cracking open rolls of dimes every day. And while it doesn't take that long to count out 74 dimes, in reality all the time spent counting dimes is a complete waste.

Also carryout food in Ohio has no sales rltax, basically, so most of our orders are either exactly to the dollar, or .99 or .98.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 PM   #16720
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

What is the deal with the Duck Dynasty/ZZ Top look? Some of this facial hair looks like a miniature wildlife preserve. I swear I saw a squirrel peak its head out of a beard earlier today.

Is this a suburban Wisconsin thing or are the rest of you seeing this? Just curious.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #16721
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitPersonality1 View Post
What is the deal with the Duck Dynasty/ZZ Top look? Some of this facial hair looks like a miniature wildlife preserve. I swear I saw a squirrel peak its head out of a beard earlier today.

Is this a suburban Wisconsin thing or are the rest of you seeing this? Just curious.

I have a "beard products" guy based out of my old hometown. There's enough demand that he maintains both a fixed storefront location AND a very busy touring/festival schedule across multiple states.

It's definitely not just a WI thing.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 AM   #16722
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Beardo weirdos are everywhere.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 AM   #16723
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitPersonality1 View Post

I dunno what it is either. It needs to end.

Sort of like how 97% of text tattoos are dumb and no girl looks good with a necklace type tattoo.

Last edited by stevew : 04-19-2017 at 03:17 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #16724
miami_fan
Coordinator

Because...Florida.

Incredibly loud sex interrupts Florida tennis match | New York Post
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #16725
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

autoplaying video warning on that one might be good for anyone at work
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #16726
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm not complaining or ranting, it just gets frustrating sometimes going to a thread where you thought you posted something and then realizing that even though this would be the place where you posted that, there was another entire thread that was also where you probably would have posted that.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #16727
bob
College Starter

I am blown away that in 2017 I still have to fax in paperwork to the county I live in. I would think Fulton County would have invested in email addresses, if not web sites.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #16728
Critch
lolzcat

I was just watching Conan and it struck me that Dana Carvey is more painful and less funny than driving a nail through your foot.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #16729
Suicane75
Coordinator

Dude seems like a very nice guy, but I don't think I've ever felt a bigger discrepancy between someone others thought was funny (everyday people and comedians alike), and I saw absolutely nothing funny about. You're definition of nails in your foot is spot on. He's so so so so so terribly unfunny.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:27 AM   #16730
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Dude seems like a very nice guy, but I don't think I've ever felt a bigger discrepancy between someone others thought was funny (everyday people and comedians alike), and I saw absolutely nothing funny about. You're definition of nails in your foot is spot on. He's so so so so so terribly unfunny.

Pistachio Disguisey

(shudder)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #16731
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Am I still allowed to call myself a Pink Floyd fan if when I listen to the Dark Side of the Moon I skip Money every time?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #16732
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

I would put him with Chevy Chase or Bill Murray. Nothing they do or say nowadays is particularly funny (Throwing a first pitch crazy or running around a golf course just doesn't make me chuckle) but their history has to be respected. I mean his SNL stuff from the 90's was top notch.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #16733
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Am I still allowed to call myself a Pink Floyd fan if when I listen to the Dark Side of the Moon I skip Money every time?

You too, huh? Despite Pink Floyd long being my very favorite band, I have hated Money for almost 40 years now.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #16734
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You too, huh? Despite Pink Floyd long being my very favorite band, I have hated Money for almost 40 years now.

I like Money as well, but it is overplayed
Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 PM   #16735
RainMaker
General Manager

Is having an old friend who you haven't talked to much over the years dying one of the weirdest feelings in the world? I mean they weren't a big part of your life in the present but you start thinking back to all the times you spent together and it just feels terrible.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #16736
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Is Holland Taylor's career underrated?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-26-2017 at 05:37 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #16737
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So I ordered a dash charge car charger for my Oneplus phone. Only place I could find one in stock was from a pretty popular store over in China. Here is the tracking of the package via USPS:

4/12 -- acceptance
4/13 -- processed thru facility (shenzhen, china)
4/19 -- arrived at usps facility (chicago)
4/21 -- in transit to dest
4/24 -- arrived at usps facility (columbia, mo)
4/24 -- departed usps facility
4/24 -- arrived at usps facility (kansas city, ks)
4/25 -- in transit to dest
4/26 -- departed usps facility (kansas city, ks)

What the effity eff is going on here? Is some dude driving around with this thing in a van?

Edit: Oh, I live in Fargo.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-26-2017 at 06:46 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #16738
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Well there's your first problem
Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #16739
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've been stuck in one of those USPS hiccups. I have a buddy who started working as a mail deliverer a couple years ago, and it sounds like a package is just subject to any number of local flow issues at each location it passes through, which can be magnified by overall federal bureaucracy. Sometimes it's the mail carrying that is fucked up, and sometimes it's the mail sorting...which is all kind of obvious I suppose.

I've learned that where he delivers, on the fringe of the city is relatively easy work, delivering and sorting, whereas my neighborhood post office, only a couple miles away, but in the middle of the city, is considered relatively hard work, due to higher density and miserable parking, which apparently results in constant chaos and a perpetually short staff. If the luck of the draw puts your package through 2 or 3 of those kind of post offices/sorting centers it almost seems like a miracle that it would ever arrive.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-26-2017 at 07:11 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:52 AM   #16740
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Vin Diesel, Paul Giamatti, and Jeri Ryan are all the same age.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #16741
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Albert Einstein had a half dozen girlfriends while married, cheated on his wife with his cousin, then cheated on his cousin with his secretary. Smartest man ever, right?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #16742
Kodos
Resident Alien

Smart doesn't mean without personal flaws.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #16743
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Continuously cheating on people in relationships isn't smart.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #16744
Butter
Coordinator

Not understanding the difference between book smart and people skills is also a pretty long damn way from smart.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #16745
hollmt
High School Varsity

moral high ground/faithfulness/loyalty in regards to relationships with women.....maybe not so much.
cant take away from his smarts though because of it. they are completely different things.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #16746
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
So I ordered a dash charge car charger for my Oneplus phone. Only place I could find one in stock was from a pretty popular store over in China. Here is the tracking of the package via USPS:

4/12 -- acceptance
4/13 -- processed thru facility (shenzhen, china)
4/19 -- arrived at usps facility (chicago)
4/21 -- in transit to dest
4/24 -- arrived at usps facility (columbia, mo)
4/24 -- departed usps facility
4/24 -- arrived at usps facility (kansas city, ks)
4/25 -- in transit to dest
4/26 -- departed usps facility (kansas city, ks)

What the effity eff is going on here? Is some dude driving around with this thing in a van?

The one that catches my eye is the delay between chicago & columbia.
The truck broke down in route or something. Probably also left just before midnight 4/21 and arrived just after midnight 4/24, making it look twice as long.

The last three entries don't quite make sense either though. It was "in transit" before it "departed"? That's ... odd, I think.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #16747
Suicane75
Coordinator

Last year I was wearing the pants I wore in my early 20's. Now I think I might be too fat for pants in general.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #16748
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Bipolar, depression, anxiety, and addiction are all very personal mental disorders that have affected someone close to me. Everyone says: "If you need anything, don't hesitate, I'll be there for you ". Most of that's BS... I'm going to make a bet, without being pessimistic, that out of my Facebook friends that less than 5 will take the time to put this on their wall to help raise awareness of and for those who have mental health difficulties. You just have to copy it from my wall and paste it to yours. Please write "done" under my comments when you do! I've done this for a friend for Mental Health Awareness

I truly do not understand these. They seem to exist for every malady known to science but they are pretty much all in the same passive aggressive format. It can't be a shameless attempt to get your post to go viral, because they don't share your post but copy and paste it. And they are all written in a way that seems to put most of the emphasis on people not reading your posts, not the actual affliction du jour. I just don't get how these get created to begin with or why

(PS and anyone who shares these things get an automatic eye roll from me)

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-03-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #16749
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I truly do not understand these. They seem to exist for every malady known to science but they are pretty much all in the same passive aggressive format. It can't be a shameless attempt to get your post to go viral, because they don't share your post but copy and paste it. And they are all written in a way that seems to put most of the emphasis on people not reading your posts, not the actual affliction du jour. I just don't get how these get created to begin with or why

+Infinity.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #16750
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

I give a virtual middle finger anymore. I have a feeling it's just as you say.

It's more, "LOOK AT ME! I GIVE LOTS OF FUCKS ABOUT THIS STUFF! YOU SHOULD HONOR MY FUCKS!! I TOTALLY JUDGE YOU BASED ON WHO FOLLOWS MY DIRECTIVES ABOUT MY FUCKS!! I'M A GOOD PERSON AND BY DOING THIS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM. "

And so on. People want to be judged as good people and this gives them the chance to show the world that they are good and that others know it. I have a really, really, really hard time talking about the random acts of kindness that I do. I mean I just can't imagine who these people are that are like, "Hey, lemme buy your lunch because I just have a feeling that you're having a bad day. Now let's selfie so I can post it to Instagram and tell everyone."

That's just not the way I was raised with good deeds. You do them, and move on, and tell them to pay it forward. You do it for them. Isn't that the point?

Like Steam?