Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #16501
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Reagan wasn't exactly as conservative as people wish he was. He did massively expand regulations on health care (much more than Obamacare) and doubled SS taxes for everyone.

As for the bracket, a President will never be able to win on issues like that in partisian politics. If they do a bracket, they are wasting time. If they don't, they are out of touch with the people. Those on the left gave Bush shit for golfing and other activities. Think Clinton even got shit for going to college basketball games. I think it is important to do stuff like that from time to time. Whether it's filling out a bracket or throwing out a first pitch at a game. They are a figurehead as much as an executive.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #16502
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Really interesting chart showing the change in government spending under Reagan and Obama.

Is that federal government spending only or federal and state combined?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #16503
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think it's combined government spending at all levels, but I can't find a clear confirmation of that. They tend to be precise with titles at TPM, so I'd expect this isn't just federal spending.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #16504
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If Obama is really blue and Reagan is really red in that chart, then it's not until the last quarter of the second term that Reagan starts outdistancing, not first term like is mentioned above.

Also keep in mind this is inflation adjusted. Does anyone really think we're spending less right now than we did when Obama entered office? Reagan entered with runaway inflation and got it way down under control. We have other policies screwing with inflation right now (oil speculation, for example) that fiddle with inflation-adjusted numbers.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #16505
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If Obama is really blue and Reagan is really red in that chart, then it's not until the last quarter of the second term that Reagan starts outdistancing, not first term like is mentioned above.

Unless I'm reading it wrong- that graph goes 80-84 for Reagan (and 09-12 for Obama)

That said, it's always tricky when working in percentages changed because you have to keep in mind where you came from and put that into context.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #16506
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Unless I'm reading it wrong- that graph goes 80-84 for Reagan (and 09-12 for Obama)

Crap, too busy at work so read "first term" as "first year". For those keeping score, that's one more check in the "stupid things Greg has said on the forums" column.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #16507
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh dear god. I hope no one is keeping track of the number of stupid things any of us has said here. That would end badly for all of us

SI

Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #16508
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The point isn't a comparison between absolute spending levels. Reagan's recovery was fueled by both tax cuts and an extreme increase i government spending. Obama's recovery is fueled by tax cuts, but those are being counteracted by reductions in spending.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #16509
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But it seems like people of whatever party doesn't have the presidency complain about vacations/photo ops/media appearances/etc. If Bush was doing a yearly NCAA bracket I'm sure people would be knocking him here for it.

That was the constant harping on how much vacation Bush took.

One side is always going to find something to criticize about the other side. The discouraging thing is how many people buy into that view and attach importance to the BS irrelevant stuff that gets blown up as if it was something substantive. That's how one asshole's insistence that Dubya finishing a children's book when the 9/11 attack occurred instead of running panicked out of the room was a dereliction of duty that became further "evidence" of a conspiracy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #16510
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have said it before that I really couldn't care less how often the President (regardless of party) is on vacation. My understanding of the Presidency is that it is a 24/7 job no matter where they are. If something happens, it doesn't matter if they are playing golf, at their kids musical, or having sex with their wife, they are on duty. If they want to hit up Camp David, Hawaii, or Texas every once in a while, I have no problem with that.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #16511
Havok
College Starter

CBO: Obamacare to cost $1.76 trillion over 10 yrs | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #16512
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Would make sense for the GOP to put a guy in the general election who didn't create it. Romney can't take advantage of that at all.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #16513
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post

If you actully read the report you'll find this:

Quote:
Net Cost of Coverage Provisions

March 2011 prediction 1,131
March 2012 Prediction 1,083

The total cost was revised downward by 48 billion dollars.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #16514
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not really the whole story:

http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...0Estimates.pdf

(Page 2) "that amount represents a gross cost to the federal government of $1,762 billion, offset in part by $510 billion in receipts and other budgetary effects"

So, yup, $1.76T - $0.51T = $1.25T. Yes, higher than the initial $900B claims but not double like the crazy headline from the hack Washington Examiner. Basically, there will be $510B in increased revenue from taxes on high end "cadillac" health care plans, penalties paid by employers who don't offer it, and a decrease in reductions from people's taxes as they come off of employer-provided insurance to their own insurance.

No solace for the "starve the government" yahoos out there but part of the cost is actually paid for, which is how things should be. I'd argue that all of it should be paid for but with "discretionary spending" cut to the bone and no one willing to talk substantial tax increases, it is what it is.

So, you folks who want to just lop off all funding to the federal government except for a couple of pet projects like defense- you can just sit this one out. But for the rest of us: "What is the societal value, in dollars, to the increased standard of living it provides by decoupling insurance from employees, bringing our estimated elderly uninsured rate from 18% down to 7% (page 3), and establishing a baseline level of profitability that is not solely stock market driven but more supply and demand driven?". I'm not sure whether $1.2T over a decade is above or below the answer.

SI

Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #16515
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you actully read the report you'll find this:

The total cost was revised downward by 48 billion dollars.

Ah, I was trying to find the difference between my numbers and yours and it looks like Table 1 goes 2011-2021 while Table 2 goes through 2012.

SI

Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #16516
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

176 billion a year?

Quote:
Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A new report from the Government Accountability Office reveals that the government is wasting taxpayers' money every day. The study found that the federal government is spending up to $200 billion a year on duplicate programs and agencies.

There you go...paid for it already.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #16517
JediKooter
Coordinator

"A new report from the Government Accountability Office reveals that the government is wasting taxpayers' money every day."

This just in...Lance Bass AND Liberace are gay.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #16518
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not really the whole story:

http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...0Estimates.pdf

(Page 2) "that amount represents a gross cost to the federal government of $1,762 billion, offset in part by $510 billion in receipts and other budgetary effects"

So, yup, $1.76T - $0.51T = $1.25T. Yes, higher than the initial $900B claims but not double like the crazy headline from the hack Washington Examiner. Basically, there will be $510B in increased revenue from taxes on high end "cadillac" health care plans, penalties paid by employers who don't offer it, and a decrease in reductions from people's taxes as they come off of employer-provided insurance to their own insurance.

No solace for the "starve the government" yahoos out there but part of the cost is actually paid for, which is how things should be. I'd argue that all of it should be paid for but with "discretionary spending" cut to the bone and no one willing to talk substantial tax increases, it is what it is.

So, you folks who want to just lop off all funding to the federal government except for a couple of pet projects like defense- you can just sit this one out. But for the rest of us: "What is the societal value, in dollars, to the increased standard of living it provides by decoupling insurance from employees, bringing our estimated elderly uninsured rate from 18% down to 7% (page 3), and establishing a baseline level of profitability that is not solely stock market driven but more supply and demand driven?". I'm not sure whether $1.2T over a decade is above or below the answer.

SI

I'd have more confidence in this thing if it didn't seem like the be-all end-all measure of success is "# of insured people". That's a meaningless number in itself. I want people to have more access to better healthcare. It seems to me the most important thing to accomplish that is to somehow address healthcare costs. If healthcare is cheaper, people are going to have more access to it whether it's through private insurance/government funded insurance/direct government-provided health care/health care through charities, everything. If the goal is just to label as many people as possible as "insured", that's probably pretty easy to do, but when healthcare costs explode even more in response to that, what's the impact on what SHOULD be the goal - actual access to good healthcare? The whole thing is kind of depressing unless you're a drug company or insurance company or medical services provider. This is such a step away for where we need to go, IMO.

Last edited by molson : 03-14-2012 at 01:01 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #16519
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Medicare cost projections have slowed dramatically in the past two years. It's unclear how much of this is due to ACA, but the cost control measures implemented may be doing what you wish.

From the latest Trustees Report:

Quote:
Projected Medicare costs over 75 years are about 25 percent lower because of provisions in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as amended by the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (the "Affordable Care Act" or ACA). Most of the ACA-related cost saving is attributable to a reduction in the annual payment updates for most Medicare services (other than physicians’ services and drugs) by total economy multifactor productivity growth, which is projected to average 1.1 percent per year. The report notes that the long-term viability of this provision is debatable.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #16520
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd have more confidence in this thing if it didn't seem like the be-all end-all measure of success is "# of insured people". That's a meaningless number in itself. I want people to have more access to better healthcare. It seems to me the most important thing to accomplish that is to somehow address healthcare costs. If healthcare is cheaper, people are going to have more access to it whether it's through private insurance/government funded insurance/direct government-provided health care/health care through charities, everything. If the goal is just to label as many people as possible as "insured", that's probably pretty easy to do, but when healthcare costs explode even more in response to that, what's the impact on what SHOULD be the goal - actual access to good healthcare? The whole thing is kind of depressing unless you're a drug company or insurance company or medical services provider. This is such a step away for where we need to go, IMO.

Now that's definitely an argument I can see. Ultimately, I'm a single payer fan and I think the best efficiency is gained in that health system. "Death panels" where you know going in what is covered and what isn't and where it's decided by as impartial a group as possible is best, in my mind. There's no profit motive, just a desire to get the most bang for the buck- most higher quality of life for the least cost.

However, it's clear to me that we don't and won't have the political climate for that in the next 10 years.

SI

Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #16521
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Medicare cost projections have slowed dramatically in the past two years. It's unclear how much of this is due to ACA, but the cost control measures implemented may be doing what you wish.

From the latest Trustees Report:

Basically the government said "we're going to pay doctors less", and what do you know it looks like the government will spend less!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #16522
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Basically the government said "we're going to pay doctors less", and what do you know it looks like the government will spend less!

And less and less doctors are accepting medicare patients now. I live in the second oldest town in America, believe me when i say doctors f'ing hate medicare.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #16523
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
And less and less doctors are accepting medicare patients now. I live in the second oldest town in America, believe me when i say doctors f'ing hate medicare.

My company does a lot of work in the healthcare space, and a main reason we see doctors hating on Medicare is due in many cases to the manual record keeping of the doctors. We see the rejections and re-verification levels between Medicare and private insurance are roughly the same. Their inefficiencies in record keeping are masked by the higher private insurance reimbursements and made painfully clear by the lower Medicare reimbursements. When they see they can cut the time spent fixing or re-verifying claims from 6 or more hours per week to less than an hour, it changes their bottom line drastically. One of our biggest customers does over 90% of their billing via Medicare, and they were bought by the biggest home health care company in the country last year for over $1 billion.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #16524
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting read from the Washington Post.......

Obama’s evolution: Behind the failed ‘grand bargain’ on the debt - The Washington Post
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #16525
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Pretty ballsy stuff from Bristol Palin. Did a good job making the president look pretty hypocritical. I'd argue this is a more well-formed argument than we've ever seen from her mother.

Mr. President, When Should I Expect Your Call? | Bristol Palin
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #16526
miked
College Starter

How is this "ballsy"? Of course now the president will look hypocritical if he doesn't call every woman that's ever been defamed. But I guess what I learned from the Colbert Report applies, I believe the president can't have any "actual connection" to these SuperPACs, so he can't ask them to return any money. Anyway, the president is a politician so I wouldn't expect much anyway. I hear Lance Bass is still gay, too.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #16527
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
dola

Pretty standard stuff from Bristol Palin's ghost writer. Did a good job of playing to the base.

Fixed.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #16528
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is really good work, but who would put this kind of time into something like this?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #16529
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
This is really good work, but who would put this kind of time into something like this?

That is really well done. top comment: "I feel bad for the person who had to watch all those Romney vids" +1 to that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #16530
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
How is this "ballsy"? Of course now the president will look hypocritical if he doesn't call every woman that's ever been defamed. But I guess what I learned from the Colbert Report applies, I believe the president can't have any "actual connection" to these SuperPACs, so he can't ask them to return any money. Anyway, the president is a politician so I wouldn't expect much anyway. I hear Lance Bass is still gay, too.

If only Obama had been willing to speak out in her defense against attacks at some point.

"Let me be a clear as possible: I have said before and I will repeat again, I think people’s families are off limits," Obama said, "and people’s children are especially off limits.
"This shouldn’t be part of our politics," he continued, "It has no relevance to Gov. Palin’s performance as governor, or her potential performance as a vice president.
"And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories," he said. "You know my mother had me when she was 18, and how a family deals with issues and, you know, teenage children, that shouldn’t be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that’s off limits."

SO BRAVE though.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #16531
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I still don't get the problem with this bracket thing. I remember Reagan saying Family Ties was his favorite television show. I bet Obama filled out his bracket in about as much time as one episode of that show. Pretty much every president has spent time watching sporting events, hunting, or doing other frivolous activities. Why is filling out a bracket considered more a waste of time than any of these other things?

Bush ruined everything for everyone, took so much vacation time that the next guy needs to work non-stop to avoid pissing off the masta.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #16532
molson
General Manager

One guy sounds like he's doing a pro wrestling promo and the other sounds like he's selling insurance. These are going to be some great debates!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #16533
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
Bush ruined everything for everyone, took so much vacation time that the next guy needs to work non-stop to avoid pissing off the masta.

It's there a CTRL-function that just pastes in some version of "it's Bush's fault?"
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #16534
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's there a CTRL-function that just pastes in some version of "it's Bush's fault?"

It has to be close to the one used for "it's the liberal's fault."
Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #16535
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It has to be close to the one used for "it's the liberal's fault."

It might be, but last I check liberals haven't retired to a Texas ranch somewhere. Though to be fair, if they did, I'm sure a lot of people would still be obsessively blaming them for everything years later instead of acknowledging their own parties/candidates failures.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #16536
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FactCheck.org : President Obama’s Vacation Days
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #16537
SportsDino
College Prospect

Some of us say it was Bush's fault because he truly was a terrible president, though maybe that is too hard to grasp for the faction cheerleader types that reduce all argument to 'my side/your side'. It is like the Bush Administration read 1984 and thought it was an instruction manual.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #16538
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Some of us say it was Bush's fault because he truly was a terrible president, though maybe that is too hard to grasp for the faction cheerleader types that reduce all argument to 'my side/your side'. It is like the Bush Administration read 1984 and thought it was an instruction manual.

Glad to know you're above "my side/your side faction cheerleader stuff", since you're posts wouldn't suggest it.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #16539
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Get these out of here, you and your nasty facts! Reality is the latest jackassery that spews from Rush Limbaugh's mouth, seriously, get a life you liberal moron with your snobby facts.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #16540
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Get these out of here, you and your nasty facts! Reality is the latest jackassery that spews from Rush Limbaugh's mouth, seriously, get a life you liberal moron with your snobby facts.

I think there was exactly one poster here who had any problem with Obama's bracket (and that was just a snide remark). Obama doesn't need your support on this one.

Last edited by molson : 03-20-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #16541
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The only thing you can really hang on Bush is the wars. History won't look down kindly on him for it. Most of the other stuff would have been done anyway by either party. Cutting taxes for everyone despite big spending isn't new or party specific. Same with expanding education, health care, and a slew of other things. You can argue that he should have laid out more stringent regulations for the financial industry, but it's not like Obama or the Dems were interested in doing that either (ever after the collapse).

We get the politicians we elect. Many of the Bush decisions were popular, even if they were the wrong ones. That's our fault as much as it is the fault of the President we elect to make those decisions.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #16543
flounder
High School Varsity

flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #16544
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post

Not shocking. The "independents" are pretty consistant and the others back their team. Don't the polls show the same thing about support for the war? I remember when the Democrats actually had a spine and stood against endless war until it was their team doing the bombing.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #16545
molson
General Manager

I like Obama's stated energy policies a lot (and I have no problem with higher gas prices, I think that's going to be a necessary part of progress), I just wish they weren't completely theoretical. The only noteworthy thing he's accomplished there is helping Solyndra steal federal money.

Last edited by molson : 03-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #16546
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Monumental week for the Supreme Court, six hours of arguments over ACA. There hasn't been this much time scheduled for a single case in over fifty years.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #16547
molson
General Manager

It's not a very complicated case. The argument length shows they're pretty obsessed with either perception or the policy merits of the plan. If it wasn't for the how important this was policy/political-wise, I'd expect it to be affirmed 8-1 or 9-0. But instead, I'm curious to see if the dissenters will want to go to back to pre-1930 commerce clause interpretation, or if they'll come up with some other wrinkle that nobody's talking about yet. Because even if you're a justice that believes the commerce clause still means something - this doesn't seem like the best place to fight that battle. In this case, unfortunately, I think Congress does have the authority to make healthcare even more expensive and less efficient and accessible.

Last edited by molson : 03-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #16548
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
II think Congress does have the authority to make healthcare even more expensive and less efficient and accessible.

Ok, I'll bite. Expensive and less efficient--I disagree with you, but you'll never convince me, and I'll never convince you. And I can certainly see your point, and we will just have to see how it goes.

But less accessible? Explain. For all that ACA might have flaws, I have not seen the argument that it makes coverage less accessible in the aggregate.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #16549
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Expensive and less efficient--I disagree with you, but you'll never convince me, and I'll never convince you. And I can certainly see your point, and we will just have to see how it goes.

But less accessible? Explain. For all that ACA might have flaws, I have not seen the argument that it makes coverage less accessible in the aggregate.

Well, relatively, in the sense that if healthcare costs continue to explode, we're all going to have less access to care. I think that the goal of Obamacare is for more Americans to count as "insured," and it will probably be successful in that, but we'll have to see how that designation translates into actual healthcare when everything costs even more than it does now.

Though, I kind of wonder too if the system completely blows up, if we'll be forced to go to something that looks more like a universal healthcare or even a single payer system, and if that's by design as well.

Edit: And maybe I'm wrong, I'm no healthcare expert or anything. But when the federal government wanted more people to have access to home ownership, college education, and healthcare - the cost of all three exploded and have caused a ton of hardship - and here we have another "solution" that the pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies are completely on board with. It's hard to be optimistic, but maybe it's big enough to cause some kind of burst to where we can rebuild it into something efficient.

Last edited by molson : 03-26-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #16550
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Not shocking. The "independents" are pretty consistant and the others back their team. Don't the polls show the same thing about support for the war? I remember when the Democrats actually had a spine and stood against endless war until it was their team doing the bombing.

66 vs 53 is consistent? But yes, the rest are just backing their team.