Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #1601
Kodos
Resident Alien

Okay. I could definitely see us losing at UM. I just didn't see how it was not a winnable game for us.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #1602
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Really that confident? Michigan hasn't exactly been tearin' things up recently.

I think part of it was a four game stretch with 3 road games out of four. All road games where against ranked teams and the unranked team at least had a pulse and gave Michigan everything it could. Michigan had nothing left in the tank by the time they went to MSU. I definitely see the PSU game as the follow up walkthrough game after an embarrassing loss where Michigan does enough to win it and that's it. They have enough games to regather themselves and will play their only real two big games left at home. While I still think Michigan gives me a feeling of a Sweet 16 team, I can see one of them getting beat. If by chance IU has a two game lead when they play Michigan, I think that favors Michigan as well. Let's not forget MSU still has @OSU, @Michigan, Wisconsin and NW.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #1603
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If anyone missed those games last night, they're being replayed on ESPNU this afternoon. Mizzou/Florida at 1:00 EST and Indiana/MSU at 2:30 EST.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #1604
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

HUGE WIN for Mizzou last night. If only the tournament was played in Columbia.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #1605
Johnny93g
College Starter

Always hope your team can win a tough road game, but it's rarely expected.

I was hoping the Hoosiers could pull it out, but no, I did not expect it. Michigan State is a great team, and winning in their home is awesome!!

So pumped this Hoosier team keeps passing tests!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #1606
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
HUGE WIN for Mizzou last night. If only the tournament was played in Columbia.

We could still get a few NIT games.

Seriously we have to beat a team tougher than Mississippi State on the road. Not neccesarly to make the tournament (I think we will probably make it regardless) but to prove that we can win a couple of games in the NCAA tournament. South Carolina to me is the test and I am not so sure Kentucky will just roll over because of Nerlens going down. Gameday will be there so the crowd should be even a little more pumped than normal. Win both of those and you have finally gotten over the hump. Lay an egg in both and we may be looking at a 9 seed and one and done or huge blowout loss to the #1 seed if we do win round 1.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1607
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Seriously we have to beat a team tougher than Mississippi State on the road. Not neccesarly to make the tournament (I think we will probably make it regardless) but to prove that we can win a couple of games in the NCAA tournament. South Carolina to me is the test and I am not so sure Kentucky will just roll over because of Nerlens going down. Gameday will be there so the crowd should be even a little more pumped than normal. Win both of those and you have finally gotten over the hump. Lay an egg in both and we may be looking at a 9 seed and one and done or huge blowout loss to the #1 seed if we do win round 1.

If I'm a one seed and I end up in the same bracket with Mizzou as a 8/9 seed, I'm shitting bricks and really pissed off at the tournament committee. Mizzou had some bumps in the road with Bowers out, but they honestly should have won the A&M and Arkansas games. They're playing much better of late.

It should also be noted that Mizzou is 3-1 on neutral floors with three of those four games being against likely NCAA tourney teams. Neutral floor is MUCH different than home floor.

This team reminds me a lot of the 12 seed under Quin Snyder that ended up making an Elite Eight run. They've underachieved in the regular season, but no one will want to play them come tourney time.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #1608
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
If I'm a one seed and I end up in the same bracket with Mizzou as a 8/9 seed, I'm shitting bricks and really pissed off at the tournament committee. Mizzou had some bumps in the road with Bowers out, but they honestly should have won the A&M and Arkansas games. They're playing much better of late.

It should also be noted that Mizzou is 3-1 on neutral floors with three of those four games being against likely NCAA tourney teams. Neutral floor is MUCH different than home floor.

This team reminds me a lot of the 12 seed under Quin Snyder that ended up making an Elite Eight run. They've underachieved in the regular season, but no one will want to play them come tourney time.

I agree with Mizzou glasses on but from an outside persepctive Louisville and road Florida would be the closest to playing #1 seeds we have had this season and we got torched by both of them. (With Bowers for Louisville) I also can't overlook losing to LSU or getting blown out by Ole Miss. Those are games this team shouldn't lose and make me worry about a one and done tournament. If the team who plays Florida last night or Illinois earlier in the year shows up watch out. If the team who lost to LSU or scraped by Bucknell shows up, one and done.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #1609
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

This is the year where a lot of teams can say that I think. Can beat anybody but can also lose to anybody (tourney time).

I believe this year will be a very difficult bracket to predict, moreso than recent memory even the butler final four years. I think Butler this year will get an early exit(round of 32) which with their history I belive more people will put them in the elite 8 more often than not. I'm just not a butler believer this year.

I'm pumped for the final weeks of the season. It certainly has a lot more excitement than any other sport for the final month of the season with so much at stake.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-20-2013 at 11:21 AM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #1610
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I agree with Mizzou glasses on but from an outside persepctive Louisville and road Florida would be the closest to playing #1 seeds we have had this season and we got torched by both of them. (With Bowers for Louisville) I also can't overlook losing to LSU or getting blown out by Ole Miss. Those are games this team shouldn't lose and make me worry about a one and done tournament. If the team who plays Florida last night or Illinois earlier in the year shows up watch out. If the team who lost to LSU or scraped by Bucknell shows up, one and done.

Worrying about what happens in the tournament is pretty ridiculous, especially this year. This year's tourney is going to be absolute chaos and there's going to be a lot of teams losing that 'shouldn't' lose.

Your last two sentences could be applicable to most teams this year. There aren't any teams that don't have some head-scratching performances this year somewhere on their resume. Hell, Mizzou played poorly last night and still beat a top team. It's going to be a great March and Mizzou is rounding into shape at the right time, which is all you can ask for. That's why college basketball is so much fun.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #1611
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #1612
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, Northwestern is really bad without two of their starters. 28-12 at the half against Wisconsin.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #1613
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Old Miss continues its freefall. Loses to a really bad South Carolina team.

Kentucky barely won at home against Vandy. Going to be interesting to see what Mizzou can do at Rupp.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #1614
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mizzou should be favored in that game. Kentucky's not so good this year.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1615
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mizzou should be favored in that game. Kentucky's not so good this year.

At Kentucky?

Mizzou is 1-6 on the road in the conference while Kentucky is 5-1 at home in the conference and 13-2 at home on the year.

Mizzou is just not a good road team. They dont shoot well enough, they turn it over too much, and they dont create enough turnovers.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #1616
molson
General Manager

Syracuse says its going to have 35,012 in the dome for the Georgetown game this weekend. I wonder if would have been feasible for them to open up the whole dome and put the court in the middle of the football field NCAA tournament-style. I've been to what were considered "sell outs" in the dome before with less people than that, and some of them were sitting behind the curtain that cuts the dome in half for basketball.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1617
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
At Kentucky?

Mizzou is 1-6 on the road in the conference while Kentucky is 5-1 at home in the conference and 13-2 at home on the year.

Mizzou is just not a good road team. They dont shoot well enough, they turn it over too much, and they dont create enough turnovers.

Eh, I just wanted to bust on Kentucky a bit. And take away any glory were Misery to win.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1618
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Arkansas wins their second game in a row at home where a traveling call is missed on the final basket.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #1619
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have a feeling Arkansas is the new Kansas....

This is funny..

St. Louis play-by-play man hilariously tells off ref who confronted him on air | The Dagger: College Basketball Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #1620
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
8 or 9 losses sounds about right for Mizzou.

Same goes for the Badgers.

My November prediction not too far off. Wisconsin will probably end up with 9 losses and probably one more in the B1G tourney. Bo's streak of never finishing below fourth place in his tenure (best win% all time in big ten too) likely continues as they only have one more tough game left at MSU and the Badgers could win that one. I gotta think Bo Ryan should be in the lead for the coach of the year in the B1G. Crean has done what was expected of Indiana and Bo has surpassed expectations of everyone including myself. As it stands today kenpom is saying there will likely be a tie for 2nd place between Wisconsin and the two Michigan schools. If the Badgers pull off the win in East Lansing they will likely own 2nd all to themselves with a very small chance at B1G regular season champs. Indiana needs to trip up at Minnesota if that scenario is going to happen...doubtful.

It sucks with no game for a week.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1621
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

That's great.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1622
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Eh, I just wanted to bust on Kentucky a bit. And take away any glory were Misery to win.

Well played
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #1623
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

whelp, it will be just me and 35011 of my closest friends at the game tomorrow
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #1624
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This SLU team is damn good. Sometimes I like watching them more than Missouri.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #1625
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Miami about to go down to Wake Forest. Was really never close from ten minutes on, Miami made it a 5 point game in the second half at one point but Wake pulled away again.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #1626
Atocep
Coordinator

The most frustrating year of WVU basketball I've seen in a long time. Huggins has followed up 2 of the best years he's ever had as a coach with quite possibly his worst. His loyalty to certain players that are a net negative by every single metric out there is killing the team. It's to the point where you can just call Deniz Kilicli the Bob Huggins kryptonite while Jabarie Hinds is a slashing combo guard that thinks he's a jump shooter and avoids contact at the basket at all costs.

Huggins has had some massive recruiting failures over the last 3 years and is paying for it this season, but it's still a team that's good enough to get to the tournament based on talent. A couple of headcases and some terrible mismanagement is what's led to this disaster.

We have a great class coming in and Huggs' kryptonite graduates so hopefully next season he's able to get things back on track. It wouldn't hurt to shake up the coaching staff as there's a coach or 2 that haven't done much of anything while at Morgantown but that's probably way to much to ask for.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #1627
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry tarcone I was pulling for Iowa to make the tourney but I think the loss to Nebraska ends that chance.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #1628
Radii
Head Coach

Really important win for UNC today. CJ Leslie with 6 turnovers in the first half, he was so far off his game it was crazy. I suppose this disproves my statement that UNC is incapable of beating anyone better than them at any time. I'm pleased to be proven wrong.

Last edited by Radii : 02-23-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #1629
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Sorry tarcone I was pulling for Iowa to make the tourney but I think the loss to Nebraska ends that chance.

Losing a 16 point halftime lead against Nebraska really hurt. With Minnesota in free fall they could have taken their spot, probably not now. To have a chance, they'd have to win their four remaining games, including at Indiana, or win 3/4 and go on a serious run in the Big 10 Tourney. All of those late losses will probably come back to haunt them and they'll be NIT bound.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #1630
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Really important win for UNC today. CJ Leslie with 6 turnovers in the first half, he was so far off his game it was crazy. I suppose this disproves my statement that UNC is incapable of beating anyone better than them at any time. I'm pleased to be proven wrong.

I wouldn't say that State is better than UNC.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #1631
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I wouldn't say that State is better than UNC.

*nods head sadly*

I'm desperately hoping that all the problems with this team stem from the fact that its most talented players were recruited by the prior staff and the current staff is working with them as best they can, but otherwise are waiting for their own recruits to own the team starting next year.

The alternative is that Gott is a lousy teacher of the game because he can't get Leslie to play to his potential every game out. Too often, he balances out his electric play with moments of WTF-ness and those moments have been more on the WTF-ness side since conference play began.

Trust me, I'm completely worried about the latter possibility right now, that Gott is going to rely on Calipari-style tactics of out-recruiting everyone and then hoping that all he needs to do is roll the ball out there and the guys will be so naturally good that they'll win without him needing to do anything.

I should note that I didn't watch but a few blips of the game, just to confirm how it was going. I was watching the kids today and I didn't need to add to my stress levels with what in the grand scheme is just a game.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1632
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Trust me, I'm completely worried about the latter possibility right now, that Gott is going to rely on Calipari-style tactics of out-recruiting everyone and then hoping that all he needs to do is roll the ball out there and the guys will be so naturally good that they'll win without him needing to do anything.

I should note that I didn't watch but a few blips of the game, just to confirm how it was going. I was watching the kids today and I didn't need to add to my stress levels with what in the grand scheme is just a game.

You wouldn't have issue with the first 32 minutes of the game. UNC managed to swing momentum their way after the under-8 timeout and kind of ran away with it.

And Calipari-style? At least he teaches the dribble drive. Those tactics you explained are the jab I lob at Roy every now and then.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #1633
tarcone
Coordinator

Sigh. Iowa lost to Nebby. Didnt see it. NIT here we come.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #1634
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Sigh. Iowa lost to Nebby. Didnt see it. NIT here we come.

Shouldn't it be 'We' lost to Nebby?

Yes, Orange lost today and I'm still smiling since it's no big deal.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #1635
tarcone
Coordinator

Ok. I just found out WE were up 41-22 at one point. And WE still managed to lose. WE just dont have that killer instinct yet.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #1636
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ok. I just found out WE were up 41-22 at one point. And WE still managed to lose. WE just dont have that killer instinct yet.

Neither do the Orange. They can get out of sync very easily, from what my son told me.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #1637
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Georgetown takes Syracuse' #2 seed for now.

Just a few more weeks to solidify your seeds or get your ass off the bubble. Creighton continues their little slide with a loss against a very good St Mary's team. Marquette loses to nova which will slide them down to about a six seed then you've got tonights game which will likely decide whether or not Kentucky is a lost cause.

New Mexico justifies the 3 seed everyone is predicting them to be with a nice win @ Colorado St.

Wisconsin doesn't even play this weekend and even though there aren't huge marquee games I'm still watching with great interest.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-23-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #1638
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I know Phil Pressey is a really good player and does many great things with the basketball.. but he's killed us on the road in tight games.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #1639
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know Phil Pressey is a really good player and does many great things with the basketball.. but he's killed us on the road in tight games.

You would have lost that game by 20 in regulation without Pressey. He was brilliant for the most part. Take into consideration that he is doing everything for that team so if they cut wrong or cant make a shot it is Pressey that feels it. Kentucky was trying to halfcourt trap him much of the later part of the game yet it was still Pressey having to make all of the plays(good or bad) because the rest of the team stands around and waits for him.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #1640
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yep he is definitely impresseyve.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #1641
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You would have lost that game by 20 in regulation without Pressey. He was brilliant for the most part. Take into consideration that he is doing everything for that team so if they cut wrong or cant make a shot it is Pressey that feels it. Kentucky was trying to halfcourt trap him much of the later part of the game yet it was still Pressey having to make all of the plays(good or bad) because the rest of the team stands around and waits for him.

That's the problem.. take a good shot and dish when you don't have one. There are 4 other players on the court and most of the time since everyone focuses on Pressey, there's a man wide open.

I just think he tries to do too much at times - regardless of his 23 points, he still cost us that game with some of his decisions late in that game. He's done that in at least 4 other games that I can think off.

That being said, I love watching him play. He just frustrates the hell out of me when the game is close late in the game. We miss Michael Dixon.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-23-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #1642
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's the problem.. take a good shot and dish when you don't have one. There are 4 other players on the court and most of the time since everyone focuses on Pressey, there's a man wide open.

I just think he tries to do too much at times - regardless of his 23 points, he still cost us that game with some of his decisions late in that game. He's done that in at least 4 other games that I can think off.

That being said, I love watching him play. He just frustrates the hell out of me when the game is close late in the game. We miss Michael Dixon.

Someone has to break the defense down in order to get these guys shots. He does dish and he is only averaging 12 shots a game. Why Pressey is getting the blame for these losses is shocking to me. He is not your problem. You have a bunch of average shooters, no one other than Pressey to break the defense down, and a big guy who can play. You do miss Dixon but I am sure not as much as Pressey does.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #1643
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Someone has to break the defense down in order to get these guys shots. He does dish and he is only averaging 12 shots a game. Why Pressey is getting the blame for these losses is shocking to me. He is not your problem. You have a bunch of average shooters, no one other than Pressey to break the defense down, and a big guy who can play. You do miss Dixon but I am sure not as much as Pressey does.

I am not sure I will put the blame of tonight's game on Pressey but he is the problem that lost us UCLA, LSU, and A&M. Yes it is possible to be the teams star and make really poor decisions in the clutch and Pressey has done both all season. So maybe we aren't In those games without him but it still doesn't excuse his out of control passes or late three point attempts. Frank Haith has said as much and generally coaches like to cover their players asses as much as possible.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #1644
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't know maybe give it to the leading scorer on the team, Jabari Brown?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-24-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #1645
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not sure I will put the blame of tonight's game on Pressey but he is the problem that lost us UCLA, LSU, and A&M. Yes it is possible to be the teams star and make really poor decisions in the clutch and Pressey has done both all season. So maybe we aren't In those games without him but it still doesn't excuse his out of control passes or late three point attempts. Frank Haith has said as much and generally coaches like to cover their players asses as much as possible.

Exactly... again, don't get me wrong Pressey is fantastic.. he just tries to do TOO much late in some games.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-24-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #1646
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't know maybe give it to the leading scorer on the team, Jabari Brown?

Give it to him where? On the wing and let him try to shoot contested 3s all game?

I dont think you are getting it. Pressey does the work, He sets up guys like Brown and last year it was English and Denmon that were getting wide open looks the entire game because Pressey breaks down an entire defense on his own. Brown isnt the type of player you can just say "here" you go make it happen.

I will agree with you both that Pressey needs to cut down his turnovers. We do need to understand that all of these turnovers arent his fault. Last year with a more experienced team his turnover percentage was about 5 percent lower.

As far as the end of game stuff I am sure he just feels he needs to take over. Whether other guys arent open or he doesnt trust them. I am not sure.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-24-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #1647
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Give it to him where? On the wing and let him try to shoot contested 3s all game?

I dont think you are getting it. Pressey does the work, He sets up guys like Brown and last year it was English and Denmon that were getting wide open looks the entire game because Pressey breaks down an entire defense on his own. Brown isnt the type of player you can just say "here" you go make it happen.

I will agree with you both that Pressey needs to cut down his turnovers. We do need to understand that all of these turnovers arent his fault. Last year with a more experienced team his turnover percentage was about 5 percent lower.

As far as the end of game stuff I am sure he just feels he needs to take over. Whether other guys arent open or he doesnt trust them. I am not sure.

I do get it and even Pressey understands he's made some odd choices at the end of some games, but for some reason he goes into tunnel vision mode in close games on the road.

Oh well, we have beat this to death.. maybe it's because I watch SLU and how they play team basketball, this team just doesn't seem to play team basketball down the stretch in these close games. In the tournament if this happens, they will be one and done.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #1648
hoopsguy
General Manager

Not too optimistic about Illini chances at Michigan, even though Wolverines have been a little choppy and Illini won 5 straight. I consider this a big step-up in class over Northwestern/Penn State and Wolverines have had a week to prepare for this one.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #1649
Kodos
Resident Alien

For our Syraccused fans:

PHOTO: Georgetown Shirt Lists Syracuse's Legal Incidents

It appears that Real Criminals Wear Orange.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-24-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #1650
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I do get it and even Pressey understands he's made some odd choices at the end of some games, but for some reason he goes into tunnel vision mode in close games on the road.

Oh well, we have beat this to death.. maybe it's because I watch SLU and how they play team basketball, this team just doesn't seem to play team basketball down the stretch in these close games. In the tournament if this happens, they will be one and done.

Agreed. If you do something for 38 minutes in a game, then piss down your leg for the last two minutes (or seven in the last game), that's a problem. When you do it and it results in losses that you should have won five different times, that's an epidemic.

And the assertion that somehow he has nothing around him is ludicrous.

-Jabari Brown shoots 37% from 3-point range.
-Lawrence Bowers is an all-conference level performer who shoots 54% from the field and 40% from 3-point range.
-Keion Bell is one of the best drive and finish players in the league.
-Oriakhi isn't the guy you want to pass to late, but he's going to get all over the boards.

And I don't want to hear about these guys not being able to create their own shot. Bowers and Bell have actually looked as good or better at times with Pressey not on the floor. Bell is a much better decision maker and plays with more control.

I will say that we saw good poise from Pressey late in regulation on the drives to the basket. But when it went to overtime, he seemed to forget everything that had got the team to that point and started making stupid decisions, leaving his feet, and firing up unwarranted three pointers. It's maddening, but that's what it is. He really needs an off-season to understand the flaws in his decisions and why he really can be a much better floor leader.

Oh, and I'd add that with the lack of calls we've seen in the SEC in late-game situations, that's even more of a reason for Pressey to not be taking the shot late. He's not going to fare well when contact is made given his size. Give it to someone who can take the hit and still finish the play.