Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #1601
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think this has been a good season overall, but I think they missed some really good opportunities with the prison. Two of the best "WTF" moments from the graphic novel are set in the prison and they have basically burned their opportunities with low-yield, short-term type of stuff (in my opinion). I think they rushed through the prison a little too quickly and never made it feel like "home."

Two WTF moments (GN Spoilers):
Spoiler
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #1602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They should never have introduced Axel, Oscar, Tyrese and even Michonne if they were just going to marginalize them.

I think this is probably the right answer.

To this point, the only purposes Michonne has really served was to get Andrea out of her jam & to (re)introduce walkers as camo. Otherwise she's basically a drone with a cool sword.

That might all have been better served by using Star Trek redshirt to do at least the former, with the idea of walkers as cover being "discovered" by a regular character (or even a random character) based on the use of walker guts as cover in Season 1.

It's not the same universe & these are not the same characters, I get that ... but to this point all they've really done with them is to create an opportunity for real-world issues about the dopplegangers.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #1603
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think this has been a good season overall, but I think they missed some really good opportunities with the prison. Two of the best "WTF" moments from the graphic novel are set in the prison and they have basically burned their opportunities with low-yield, short-term type of stuff (in my opinion). I think they rushed through the prison a little too quickly and never made it feel like "home."

I had been confusing Axel with Thomas, so I experienced a lot of tense anticipation watching his scenes. All for naught, of course.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #1604
Swaggs
Coordinator

I dunno -- I think the Walking Dead universe is pretty conducive with letting some characters stick in the background for awhile and then step up when the storyline/opportunity allows for it.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #1605
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
They learned this trick from Lost...
I was thinking the same thing...lol
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1606
JediKooter
Coordinator

Looks like the show will have a new show runner for season 4. After AMC and Darabount couldn't get along, the guy after him seems to have run up against the same wall with AMC and is out.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #1607
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Looks like the show will have a new show runner for season 4. After AMC and Darabount couldn't get along, the guy after him seems to have run up against the same wall with AMC and is out.

Any truth to the rumor the guy started talking about his personal life and was immediately fired?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #1608
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Any truth to the rumor the guy started talking about his personal life and was immediately fired?

I didn't see that mentioned in the article I read.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #1609
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Talking about his personal life where?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #1610
Bad-example
College Starter

I just thought it was company policy to fire expendable employees when they start to show some back story...probably shouldn't post when I'm drinking.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #1611
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

More & more accounts seem to indicate the tensions aren't between AMC & the showrunners but instead are between Kirkman and the showrunners.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #1612
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
More & more accounts seem to indicate the tensions aren't between AMC & the showrunners but instead are between Kirkman and the showrunners.

That very well could be it and would not surprise me at all. "AMC" could just be the generic catch all for "Kirkman" and they don't want to air out too much dirty laundry.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #1613
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just thought it was company policy to fire expendable employees when they start to show some back story...probably shouldn't post when I'm drinking.

I thought it was funny.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #1614
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ultimately it's Kirkman's characters and reputation at stake. I heard some theory that there was some decision making by Mazarra that just pushed the powers that be over the edge. I wonder if he made some decision and then got into fuck you creative control mode.

And this is all old news about the showrunner, right? Nothing new has happened in the last couple days?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #1615
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I thought it was funny.

Me too!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1616
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Ultimately it's Kirkman's characters and reputation at stake. I heard some theory that there was some decision making by Mazarra that just pushed the powers that be over the edge. I wonder if he made some decision and then got into fuck you creative control mode.

And this is all old news about the showrunner, right? Nothing new has happened in the last couple days?

I think so. I think the news about Mazarra came down a while ago.

Everyone fretted when Darabount left and the show was fine. Hopefully, the same will be true regarding Mazarra's departure.

If AMC is truly just dicking around it's most popular show ever, just to dick around with it, they are pretty silly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #1617
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think so. I think the news about Mazarra came down a while ago.

It was announced pretty early after the midseason break started.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #1618
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yesterday was the confirmation of his replacement, as well as the promotion of two others to executive producer status.

Quote:
New York – February 27, 2013 – AMC announced today that the cast and crew of “The Walking Dead” return to Atlanta, Georgia on Monday, May 6th to begin production on season four. AMC also confirms Scott M. Gimple as showrunner and executive producer for the series’ fourth season to premiere in October with 16 episodes. Gimple has been on the show’s writing staff since season two. Co-Executive Producer, Emmy® Award-winning Special Effects Makeup Supervisor and Director Greg Nicotero and Producer Tom Luse have also been elevated to executive producers.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1619
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No comment.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1620
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Except maybe to say that the writer of this week's episode is the guy named as the show-runner.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #1621
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Almost on cue perhaps, Michonne uses a different voice than we've heard in previous episodes & maybe begins the transformation into a meaningful character.

Or not.

edit to add: A couple of nice touches (especially the final scene) but tbh I'm feeling a bit bludgeoned by the point that it's a hard changed world.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #1622
Swaggs
Coordinator

I liked this one -- it flew by for me.

Good contrast between Rick/Carl and Morgan/Duane. Some good tension (I thought getting "trapped" in the car was kind of a good scene (compared to how the situation may have played out just after the outbreak) and I really liked the bookend scenes with the backpacked traveler.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #1623
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I liked this one -- it flew by for me.

Good contrast between Rick/Carl and Morgan/Duane. Some good tension (I thought getting "trapped" in the car was kind of a good scene (compared to how the situation may have played out just after the outbreak) and I really liked the bookend scenes with the backpacked traveler.

Agreed - I really liked the stuff with Michonne and Carl and it finally showed something from both of them. A great, great episode...and holy crap, the rest of this season is gonna be nuts...
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #1624
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, was pleased with this episode in terms of a "not core plot" one. Thought there was meaningful plot development from each of the three characters. Getting a chance to narrow in on three players instead of serving a cast of ... well, I guess dozens ... certainly helps that cause.

Also enjoyed the level of detail that went into Morgan's quarters and the town. Definitely helped create a creepy atmosphere that was different than most of the other city scenes over the past three seasons.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #1625
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Let's see

No governor, no andrea, michonne has words....suddenly it's a fantastic episode.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #1626
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kudos to whomever called them spoiling Morgan's return in the opening credits. That was groan worthy.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #1627
Radii
Head Coach

Huh, I expected a bit more gushing praise here I think! I think that may be my favorite episode of Walking Dead ever. That was an absolutely brilliant hour of television by any standard. The defense Morgan had put together to survive was simply awesome, the dialogue in the episode was gripping and moving, the scenes with Michonne and Carl were entertaining, tense, and meaningful. Michonne all of a sudden has a couple solid one liners for comic relief ("hey, the mat said welcome"). Morgan describing how his son died, and how he didn't have it in him to kill his wife as a walker, his despair about the state of the world... just an incredible scene.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #1628
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Huh, I expected a bit more gushing praise here I think! I think that may be my favorite episode of Walking Dead ever. That was an absolutely brilliant hour of television by any standard. The defense Morgan had put together to survive was simply awesome, the dialogue in the episode was gripping and moving, the scenes with Michonne and Carl were entertaining, tense, and meaningful. Michonne all of a sudden has a couple solid one liners for comic relief ("hey, the mat said welcome"). Morgan describing how his son died, and how he didn't have it in him to kill his wife as a walker, his despair about the state of the world... just an incredible scene.

agreed with all of this

Next week's episode, with a healthy dose of the Governor and Andrea will probably be a giant turdball
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #1629
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't catch the "Erin we tried for Stone Mountain -J" sign and the one walker that had the "Erin" name bracelet. Neat detail.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #1630
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Was I the only one, when Carl started to go off on his own again, that groaned, "Shit, 2nd Season Carl is back...grrr"

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #1631
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Was I the only one, when Carl started to go off on his own again, that groaned, "Shit, 2nd Season Carl is back...grrr"

No, you were not alone on that.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #1632
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

I entirely agree.

Morgan remains my favorite character to ever be on the show - Lennie James has been brilliant with that limited role. You can't help but feel for his character and I wish he was on there full-time. Two of the best episodes are the two he was in and that's not a coincidence.

Combine Morgan's return with Michonne and Carl turning into Actual Fucking People and the episode bloomed into something awesome. Plus, Rick looks like he's come back to the world of the sane and that helps - having the main character go off the deep end didn't help the show.

I noticed the Erin thing - nice touch.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #1633
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

I had a slight twinge of that, but not too much. The motivation was totally different. This wasn't "Carl as a bored kid just wandering around to see what the world is like and create some plot contrivance." This was Carl trying to take some responsibility for his sister and his attempt to deal with what happened to his mother, knowing full well that his father isn't in a place to do it. He certainly was feeling more competent than he actually is/was, but I found it to be a pretty good slice of the character and it showed some growth, as opposed to just being some random walk about.

Definitely hoping Michonne starts to open up more. It was a really nice change.

Morgan's traps were pretty eingenious. I am not sure if I have really seen their like before.

The bookend with the backpacker was great.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #1634
chinaski
College Prospect

Just brilliant. Loved every second of it. I think this gives us fans of the novel hope for what is too, finally, come of Michone.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #1635
JediKooter
Coordinator

Pretty good episode and it did fly by like it was only 20 minutes. I like how it ended with them backing up and picking up the backpack. Tough, cold, cruel world.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #1636
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, that was great. the only way it could have been better is if they'd accidentally run over the Governor and Andrea on the way home
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #1637
Jas_lov
College Starter

This episode is what the show should be, traveling around to different cities and meeting different people. The show drags when they get stationary like at the farm and now in the prison. Wrap up the Governor storyline, have a war at the prison and get back on the road.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #1638
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agreed, but gotta be honest here. It was the guy playing Morgan (Lennie James) that made this episode. Not sure those lines could have been pulled off with your standard actor and this episode would have been average without his intense delivery of that dialouge. Gotta be one of my favorite TV actors since seeing him in Jericho years ago. Other than that, yes, it is nice to actually see Michonne and Carl develop as a characters. Carl has actually been coming into his own way before this, but it was nice to see he and Rick still carry those pieces of humanity left despite what they went through.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #1639
stevew
Hall Of Famer

supposedly Lennie James has a show in the works for AMC that debuts in the fall. I'm there.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #1640
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Skip the "Previously On" segment just in case... you know whenever Morgan shows up again they'll spoil it by having flashbacks to episode 1 during that.

You called it.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #1641
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
This episode is what the show should be, traveling around to different cities and meeting different people. The show drags when they get stationary like at the farm and now in the prison. Wrap up the Governor storyline, have a war at the prison and get back on the road.

Yeah, I would have been more content to have this governor nonsense if there had been another season spaced out after the farm. I feel like going back to back with stationary sets is nothing more than money saving.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #1642
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
supposedly Lennie James has a show in the works for AMC that debuts in the fall. I'm there.

What kind of show is this? Do you have a link? Inquiring minds want to know. Well maybe at least me.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #1643
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
What kind of show is this? Do you have a link? Inquiring minds want to know. Well maybe at least me.
Hopefully it is about surviving in a post apocalyptic world full of zombies?
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #1644
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Agreed, but gotta be honest here. It was the guy playing Morgan (Lennie James) that made this episode. Not sure those lines could have been pulled off with your standard actor and this episode would have been average without his intense delivery of that dialouge. Gotta be one of my favorite TV actors since seeing him in Jericho years ago. Other than that, yes, it is nice to actually see Michonne and Carl develop as a characters. Carl has actually been coming into his own way before this, but it was nice to see he and Rick still carry those pieces of humanity left despite what they went through.

I ended up watching this episode again last night because Lady H_B turned in early on Sunday.

Lennie James has killed it in both episodes he's been in. Absolutely killed it. He was really fantastic.

Carl has definitely one of the Most Improved Characters on television from Season 2 to Season 3.

Very glad to see Michonne finally come out of her shell and show her personality. I really hope that she continues down that path and doesn't regress back to glowering and mumbling a few words here and there. The character has some great promise.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #1645
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, that was great. the only way it could have been better is if they'd accidentally run over the Governor and Andrea on the way home

I agree. Now that I think about it more, I'm not really impressed with the governor character...just another typical post apocalyptic dictator, like General Bethlehem from The Postman.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #1646
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree. Now that I think about it more, I'm not really impressed with the governor character...just another typical post apocalyptic dictator, like General Bethlehem from The Postman.

I wish shows in general would stop with the "bad-guy-that-people-think-is-really-a-good-guy" stuff. or at the very least, speed the discovery along a lot. even if you hadn't read the comic book, you KNEW he was going to be a bad guy in the end. so all these stupid, drawn-out scenes with Andrea and the Governor turn out to be sooooo fucking boring. and now we get to repeat it all over agan with the new folks. just let him complete the transformation to bad guy already.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #1647
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I wish shows in general would stop with the "bad-guy-that-people-think-is-really-a-good-guy" stuff. or at the very least, speed the discovery along a lot. even if you hadn't read the comic book, you KNEW he was going to be a bad guy in the end. so all these stupid, drawn-out scenes with Andrea and the Governor turn out to be sooooo fucking boring. and now we get to repeat it all over agan with the new folks. just let him complete the transformation to bad guy already.

I think he's pretty much been a complete bad guy since the first episode we saw him. Zombie daughter in the closet, butchering the national guard unit, etc. I don't think the audience is supposed to believe that he's actually a good guy, but rather that he can be very charismatic and charming, which makes his role as The Governor all the more believable and makes him all the more menacing.

I much prefer his protrayl on the TV show, which is more subtle and believable, but as equally brutal and evil, than what he was in the comic, which was a much more transparent, mustache-twirling villain.

I think the actor has nailed the role. I found it damn creepy to see him slide back into the "good guy" governor role so easy with Tyrese and his crew, even after he had "gone off the rails."

Andrea does suck.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #1648
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree, after a couple or three episodes, we as the viewers, know that he's a bad guy. We don't need any more exposition or build up even if the characters in the show don't know yet. Don't get me wrong though, the actor that is playing the Governor, is doing an outstanding job. Just let him be a bad ass 100% of the time now, as that would throw a whole new wrinkle for everyone at Woodbury and how they try to handle it. "Well, he did organize us and protect us, but...".

But, that's me and my opinion and that's why I sit behind a keyboard and write stuff on a message board.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #1649
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

Info here: hxxp://www.deadline.com/tag/low-winter-sun/ and here: hxxp://www.freep.com/article/20130211/ENT03/130211043/AMC-s-Low-Winter-Sun-nets-7-5M-in-Michigan-film-incentives
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #1650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What are the odds that (spoiler based on the fact that im not sure whether it's speculation or a true spoiler)

Spoiler