Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #1601
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Knocked Up - 7/10
A bit schizophrenic in my opinion - lots of laugh-out loud moments defused by some unbelievably cold, uncomfortable and unfunny scenes. The director (Apatow) needs to learn how to walk away from some scenes in the editing room, as this one was entirely too long. In the end though, I enjoyed almost all of the performances and Heigl and Rogan were almost believable as a couple. Kristen Wiig stole every scene she was in as the snarky E! Entertainment executive. Worth watching but nothing earth shattering.

Michael Clayton - 8.5/10
Very slow to get going but really picked up steam after about a half an hour. Tremendous acting all around, with Clooney doing a great job in the title roll. Tom Wilkinson was mezmerizing and Tilda Swinton was also very good in a roll where she didn't have an awful lot of screen time but really stole all of her scenes. I enjoyed the way the plot moved back and forth in time and it was extremely effective in the final third of the film. Recommended.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #1602
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What didn't you like about it? (Equilibrium) I thought it was great.

I was just never able to suspend my disbelief, for whatever reason. As such it just came off overly hokey and paper-thin, and it was just completely tension-free for me. I could see where it would've been an interesting ride if I had been able to get 'into' it, but I wasn't able to.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #1603
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Saints & Soldiers (2004) 7 1/2 - Indie WWII film that has been on my list for awhile, but I just got around to it. I'd call this one Band of Brothers light. It doesn't have the special f/x of other movies (some parts might annoy people as a little too low tech) and relies on more characters and plot w/pretty decent acting.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #1604
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
+1

We also bought the DVD when it came out and I remember not being impressed. I might have to whip it out this weekend and watch it again.

Okay, we saw it.

Gangs of New York - 4/10

The first half of the movie was incredibly slow but the other half was ok. Daniel Day Lewis an DiCaprio were solid, not great but solid, and Cameron Diaz forgot she was Irish in a few scenes and didn't use her bad accent. Now I see why it was mediocre the first time I saw it. It had great special effects, cinematography but nothing really happened until the 2nd DVD. The first half I'd give a 2, but the second half was a solid 6.

It had it's moments, but overall, it was meh to me.

Last edited by Lorena : 04-01-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #1605
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Walk Hard - 8/10

Funny shit. Definitely funny shit.

"Let's Duet" grabs the cake. And the orgy scene. HAHAHAHAHA.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #1606
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Okay, we saw it.

Gangs of New York - 4/10

The first half of the movie was incredibly slow but the other half was ok. Daniel Day Lewis an DiCaprio were solid, not great but solid, and Cameron Diaz forgot she was Irish in a few scenes and didn't use her bad accent. Now I see why it was mediocre the first time I saw it. It had great special effects, cinematography but nothing really happened until the 2nd DVD. The first half I'd give a 2, but the second half was a solid 6.

It had it's moments, but overall, it was meh to me.

Wow.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #1607
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Wow.

Yeah, probably didn't help that I fell asleep through about 20 minutes of the first DVD.

I just thought it was a little slow.. that's all.

Last edited by Lorena : 04-01-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #1608
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree with DC, the movie just never did anything for me.

Apparently Shorty and I can't agree on anything this week
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #1609
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Count me in, too! I love me some Scorsese, but 4/10 for GoNY sounds right about perfect.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #1610
korme
Go Reds

I'd begin boycotting this thread if I didn't live in it
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #1611
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I can't stand Cameron Diaz and I'd even give GoNY a 8.5+/10
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #1612
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm sticking with my 6/10 for Gangs. Some of it was cool and there some decent performances, but it was kind of bloated and meandering.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #1613
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I bet if you sit through Gangs of New York more than once, you will realize that the story drags and the ending is predicatably boring.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #1614
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
I bet if you sit through Gangs of New York more than once, you will realize that the story drags and the ending is predicatably boring.

I have and still like it. To each their own. I find 99% of movies have predictable endings anyways..

Last edited by Mustang : 04-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #1615
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Movies are about the journey, not the ending.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #1616
korme
Go Reds

Michael Clayton (2007) - I can't believe people said this movie was slow at first. I guess that just means I underestimate people who really just need cars to blow up to hold their attention. There was great drama throughout this movie, and although admittedly it will take a second viewing to wrap my head around all of the occurances, it was a very good movie IMO, and the rating that I leave may rise after the second run through. 8.5/10
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #1617
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Movies are about the journey, not the ending.

That particular journey would've been a lot better if I didn't have to sit between Leonardo and Cameron Diaz.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-01-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #1618
Groundhog
Coordinator

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead - 6.5/10

Saw this at the movies last night, and really don't know what I think of it. It was like 'Very Bad Things' minus the dark humour, where a bad situation spirals further and further out of control. All the actors pretty much nailed their parts, it was just a bit of a "meh" story, with no "good guys". I don't know, underwhelming I guess. Hell of an opening scene though involving Marisa Tomei though, wow... Shame Hoffman is in it too, however.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #1619
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Michael Clayton (2007) - I can't believe people said this movie was slow at first. I guess that just means I underestimate people who really just need cars to blow up to hold their attention. There was great drama throughout this movie, and although admittedly it will take a second viewing to wrap my head around all of the occurances, it was a very good movie IMO, and the rating that I leave may rise after the second run through. 8.5/10

huh? nothing happened! what did he ever fix? he didnt appear to be good at his job, the drunk driving "case" had nothing to do with anything, they started the movie with a later scene for no reason whatsoever, all tilda swinton did was sweat, and the kid was a character that went nowhere.

if wilkinson wasnt in it and excellent, i would have nothing to recommend.

to each his own i guess.

3/10.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #1620
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Welcome to the Michael Clayton thumbs up train. Ignore the guy from Jersey.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #1621
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
huh? nothing happened! what did he ever fix? he didnt appear to be good at his job, the drunk driving "case" had nothing to do with anything, they started the movie with a later scene for no reason whatsoever, all tilda swinton did was sweat, and the kid was a character that went nowhere.

if wilkinson wasnt in it and excellent, i would have nothing to recommend.

to each his own i guess.

3/10.

the scene starting 4 days after + d.d. case set up the ending.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #1622
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i dont mean to come off like a dick

i am just genuinely curious what people liked about the movie. i heard nothing but good things from the (few) people who saw it in the theater
Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #1623
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
the scene starting 4 days after + d.d. case set up the ending.

set up how?

oh look, horses!

BOOM.

i think so little happened in the beginning that some studio head said, "i dont care how you do it, just get that explosion in the first 10 minutes"

incidentally, it is absolutely my pet peeve starting a movie with a scene from later, then jumping back in time, ESPECIALLY when it serves absolutely no purpose. god i hate that technique
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #1624
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
set up how?

oh look, horses!

BOOM.

i think so little happened in the beginning that some studio head said, "i dont care how you do it, just get that explosion in the first 10 minutes"

incidentally, it is absolutely my pet peeve starting a movie with a scene from later, then jumping back in time, ESPECIALLY when it serves absolutely no purpose. god i hate that technique

That was Michael Clayton's revelation point. The point at which he realized he could no longer choose to be purely self serving. And then they blew up his car, so he couldn't backtrack anyway.

I don't think you're being a dick at all. To each their own. I have several posts about this movie in this thread, and I started a thread by itself back when the movie first came out. Feel free to read those if you want more extended takes from someone who feels differently than you do about the movie. But it's no biggie to me if it didn't work for you. Different strokes, and sorry you didn't get out of it what I (and I guess Shorty) did.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #1625
korme
Go Reds

Just watched The Squid and the Whale again. It's easily rising through the ranks as one of my favorite indie movies of all-time. It's only an hour in a half and light, but there are some deep undertones and tons of subtle comedy - Jeff Daniels is great and Owen Kline (son of Kevin) is hilarious. I recommend it to everyone.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #1626
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That was Michael Clayton's revelation point. The point at which he realized he could no longer choose to be purely self serving. And then they blew up his car, so he couldn't backtrack anyway.

I don't think you're being a dick at all. To each their own. I have several posts about this movie in this thread, and I started a thread by itself back when the movie first came out. Feel free to read those if you want more extended takes from someone who feels differently than you do about the movie. But it's no biggie to me if it didn't work for you. Different strokes, and sorry you didn't get out of it what I (and I guess Shorty) did.

I liked it well enough. The only aspect of the movie that didn't quite work for me was Michael Clayton's personal life. The whole trying to open the bar with his dead beat brother and kid and ex-wife thing just seemed a bit tacked on to me and wasn't properly fleshed out. Other than that, I quite enjoyed it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #1627
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hey uh maybe some of that Clayton stuff should go in SPOILER tags guys. I haven't seen it yet, and I didn't like reading about the character development.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #1628
JS19
College Prospect

Watched Into the Wild last night. I thought it was a good movie and understood the message and felt they did a good job portraying that message. However, I have no patience for morons like that, so that took a little away for me, but putting my bias aside, it was a pretty solid movie.....I did a little research after the movie and read that 1/4 up the river from where he tried crossing there was a hand operated tram that would have gotten himself across the river.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #1629
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I watched "The Kentucky Fried Movie" once, and it pretty much ended with sex.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #1630
Bad-example
College Starter

The Good Shepherd - 5/10 I didn't hate this one, but Matt Damon was again miscast. He wasn't nearly as bad as in The Departed but I had the feeling while watching that he was the weak link keeping this from being a pretty good movie.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #1631
Johnny93g
College Starter

Matt Damon bad in the Departed?

To eaches own i guess, that statement just shocked me
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #1632
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haven't see The Departed, but Matt Damon is usually good in his roles.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #1633
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Matt Damon bad in the Departed?

To eaches own i guess, that statement just shocked me

makes no sense to me either, I thought he was great in it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #1634
Bad-example
College Starter

Hey, I like Matt Damon. But IMHO he was just awful in The Departed. As I mentioned a few pages back, both he and Nicholson were poor choices. Better casting in those roles would have greatly improved that movie.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #1635
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Hey, I like Matt Damon. But IMHO he was just awful in The Departed. As I mentioned a few pages back, both he and Nicholson were poor choices. Better casting in those roles would have greatly improved that movie.

Movies are subjected, and your entitled to your opinion. If those choices hurt your enjoyment of the movie, that's fair. I think your in the minority though. I don't think there are many things that could improve the movie, i think the casting was pretty much perfect, and can't imagine better choices.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #1636
Logan
Head Coach

I've heard the "Nicholson mailed in the role" argument before, although I didn't understand it. First I'm hearing any criticism of Damon though. There were a few times where his accent was so heavy that I felt it distracted, but that's about it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #1637
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
i think the casting was pretty much perfect, and can't imagine better choices.

Someone called me out earlier in the thread, challenging me to name better casting choices for those two roles. I never posted them, but I think Ian McShane and Christian Bale would have nailed those parts.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #1638
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I think Ian McShane and Christian Bale would have nailed those parts.

..and Christian Bale is Welsh!

Sorry, I have to bring that up every time I hear his name, because it still blows my mind. I had no clue.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #1639
korme
Go Reds

I Think I Love My Wife (2007) - Rock directed, produced, and starred in this fall comedy about a married man who misses the things that come with being single - the women. He doesn't realize what he has until it's almost too late. I thought the first 10-15 minutes were ok and then it headed off down a very predictable path. You can tell Rock was all over this because there was some genuinely funny one-liners going around here, which saved it from being a disaster. 5/10
Old 04-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #1640
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Haven't see The Departed, but Matt Damon is usually good in his roles.

What are you doing fooling about on FOFC then? Run to your nearest store now!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #1641
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
What are you doing fooling about on FOFC then? Run to your nearest store now!

I'm at work.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #1642
Lorena
Unregistered

I remember liking The Departed a lot, but will have to watch it again to see Matt Damon's perfomance.

Edit: will probably whip it out this weekend.

Last edited by Lorena : 04-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #1643
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Edit: will probably whip it out this weekend.

3 days? I usually can't wait that long.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #1644
Groundhog
Coordinator

IMO, Infernal Affairs > The Departed. I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more, and agree that old Jack and Matt Damon, whilst they didn't do a bad job, were not the best picks for their roles.

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-02-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #1645
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
IMO, Infernal Affairs > The Departed. I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more, and agree that old Jack and Matt Damon, whilst they didn't do a bad job, were not the best picks for their roles.

I would agree with this, but it should be noted that I have a huge man-crush on Andy Lau.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #1646
st.cronin
General Manager

I didn't care much for The Departed. There's a set of movies that present themselves as literal-minded, but can't really be viewed that way - The Departed was like that. Scorsese was the wrong guy for that film, I felt.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #1647
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i agree. didnt like the movie much.

the end was also "we have no ideas, lets just get this over with"
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #1648
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alvin and the Chipmunks 6.5/10. It's a lot better than I thought it would be. Like one of those things where if your kids rented it, and you had to watch it, you wouldn't be pissed off or anything. Mildly enjoyable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #1649
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Namesake

6/10

Kumar plays a kid who grows up under the pressure of an Indian culture while living in NYC and the marriage implications and pressures that accompany that. He also has to find himself and the meaning of his name vs. his "good" name.

I guess it was ok. It was really long. It was emotional but Kumar really struggled with a few scenes. The father and mother were great and no one stood out as being particularly good or bad, including Kumar. It was ok. eh.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #1650
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Gameplan - 6/10
I really like The Rock. But this movie is so plain and predictable, with a cookie-cutter supporting cast and scenes you can kind of guess well before they happen. There was one scene that I predicted that actually didn't happen, and I'm convinced it would have been a good addition.

However, even with the predictable, sappy stuff... there were a couple of scenes that made me smile, and I didn't actually want to turn the movie off at any point.

Overall, I'd say this is a fairly predictable family movie with some nice touches.