Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #1601
Schmidty
Coordinator

My goodness, your stupid bickering is hilarious.

Keep going. It's fun laughing at soccer fans.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #1602
Desnudo
Coordinator

Didn't read through the last four pages or so, but my thoughts:

Red on De Rossi - Given. He obviously swung at McBride's face with intent and did it four feet from the ref. A dirty foul and FIFA should suspend him for more than the one game default.

Red on Mastroeni - Yellow if Italy have 11, a technically justifable Red that shouldn't have been a red in a normal game. Studs technically up but he hit the player on the side and his feet never left the ground. Clearly going for the ball. Incredibly dumb play though. You just don't do it.

2nd Yellow on Pope - Not a yellow. A dumb play though by Pope who overall had a howler of a game. Directly responsible for the Italy goal and made several other poor decisions as well. Notice that the US defense didn't look much worse after he left. The worst US player on the field in my opinion. Not international class.

Mcbride - How Johnson didn't come on for him is beyond me. Just a horrible coaching decision. The guy hasn't done jack the whole tournament so far. Granted the service has been weak, but his positioning hasn't been super either. Rarely seems to be open.

The US deserved to win that game, hands down. The ref and two really dumb decisions from the players took it from them. I think if Johnson comes in, the US scores. Italy was there for the taking even with 9 US players. Arena choked at crunch time.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #1603
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's cool cringer. i didn't mean to jump on you.

it's just that even with the US at 0-1-1 we are going to need probably the game of most of these players lives against Ghana (who looked great today against a side that decimated the US don't forget) COMBINED with "a lot of help and a lot of luck" in the Czech-Italy matchup in order to advance. Anytime you need to depend on goal-differential to squeak through, your chances are extremely slim, because literally everything has to fall into place. Not that it's mathematically impossible, but it would definately be a miracle.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #1604
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Anytime you need to depend on goal-differential to squeak through, your chances are extremely slim, because literally everything has to fall into place. Not that it's mathematically impossible, but it would definately be a miracle.

They don't need goal differential to get past the 1st round.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #1605
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
They don't need goal differential to get past the 1st round.

true that. my bad, i hadn't checked the possibilities out anywhere and i didn't do the math right. duhhh...dumb me
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #1606
rexallllsc
Banned

Now I just want to play FM.

BTW, hats off to our guys today - the ones that were on the field @ the end, Convey, and Dempsey.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #1607
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desundo
I think if Johnson comes in, the US scores. Italy was there for the taking even with 9 US players. Arena choked at crunch time.

I always wonder what ever puts this impression into the minds of people. EJ, for one, sucks at defense. Sure, perhaps he MAY have gotten a goal, but Italy there for the taking? I beg to differ... and if he doesn't, well, his defense is pitiful. Add to that the fact that using all 3 subs would have crippled the team if a player went down, and I don't see this collassal blunder Arena made. I think 90% of managers around the world would have played it the same way.. and the other 10% would have subbed in another defender.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #1608
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911
Ummm my comments that your consiracy theories and your being blind to the facts because of your ultra homerism paints me as an England fan? Fans of ANY country can see that you have no clue in hell what you are talking about.

That is fine. I know a ton about the game of soccer. So if I do not know anything, then that is probably pretty amazing.

The thing is Europeans and people from Europe have no "unbiased" eyes toward the US team. They simply do not want to see the US side do well. They will see oh, yea, I pull for the US knowing damn well it is a lie.

Just because you are from the US you "have no clue in hell" about soccer. That is the attitude of most Europeans and it is obvious in this thread.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #1609
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
that's cool cringer. i didn't mean to jump on you.

it's just that even with the US at 0-1-1 we are going to need probably the game of most of these players lives against Ghana (who looked great today against a side that decimated the US don't forget) .

That's the way it should be though, IMO. You gotta earn it.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #1610
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
That is fine. I know a ton about the game of soccer. So if I do not know anything, then that is probably pretty amazing.

The thing is Europeans and people from Europe have no "unbiased" eyes toward the US team. They simply do not want to see the US side do well. They will see oh, yea, I pull for the US knowing damn well it is a lie.

Just because you are from the US you "have no clue in hell" about soccer. That is the attitude of most Europeans and it is obvious in this thread.

That's just silly. Both me and my Dad were supporting the US this evening.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #1611
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I always wonder what ever puts this impression into the minds of people. EJ, for one, sucks at defense. Sure, perhaps he MAY have gotten a goal, but Italy there for the taking? I beg to differ... and if he doesn't, well, his defense is pitiful. Add to that the fact that using all 3 subs would have crippled the team if a player went down, and I don't see this collassal blunder Arena made. I think 90% of managers around the world would have played it the same way.. and the other 10% would have subbed in another defender.

Italy was definitely there for the taking. Even with 9 men, the US looked dangerous on several counters. McBride has no pace and wasn't playing particularly well anyway. Italy looked just as tired as the US. Putting in Johnson and letting him run onto long balls made sense. If you can't defend with 8 against 9 outfielders, then the 9th isn't going to help.

In any case, Arena should have used that sub, players were walking at the end.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #1612
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I will agree also that I was suprised Johnson wasn't brought on with 10 mins to go. Even if only to have someone to chase down those long balls the defence were just hoofing up the pitch near the end.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #1613
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Italy was definitely there for the taking. Even with 9 men, the US looked dangerous on several counters. McBride has no pace and wasn't playing particularly well anyway. Italy looked just as tired as the US. Putting in Johnson and letting him run onto long balls made sense. If you can't defend with 8 against 9 outfielders, then the 9th isn't going to help.

In any case, Arena should have used that sub, players were walking at the end.

If you think Italy was "there for the taking" you are on crack. The US looked dangerous, but Italy looked just as dangerous on their attacks. Does that mean that the US was "there for the taking" as well?

And 10 v. 8 is a FAR different animal than 10 v. 9. What if Johnson comes on for McBride, the defense takes a big hit, and then someone like Dolo gets hurt, unable to be replaced. If Italy scores, you'd be pummling Arena even more. He just can't win with these unrealistic rabid US fans.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #1614
MrBug708
Head Coach

The last 10 minutes of the game, the US was trying to withstand the Italian onslaught
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #1615
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
It makes sense in my head..

It didn't in mine. I think sovereignstar was saying is how can someone be not biased and not unbiased? There's no middle ground really. If you're not unbiased, by definition, you must have a bias. If you have a bias, you are biased.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #1616
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
If you think Italy was "there for the taking" you are on crack. The US looked dangerous, but Italy looked just as dangerous on their attacks. Does that mean that the US was "there for the taking" as well?

And 10 v. 8 is a FAR different animal than 10 v. 9. What if Johnson comes on for McBride, the defense takes a big hit, and then someone like Dolo gets hurt, unable to be replaced. If Italy scores, you'd be pummling Arena even more. He just can't win with these unrealistic rabid US fans.

Yes, I guess I'm on crack. Both teams were giving up chances. Italy's defense was obviously tired. The US was certainly there for the taking as well with only 9 men. It's 9 v. 9 on the offensive end unless Buffon joins the attack. No forward is a great defender, so I don't really see the US defense suffering substantially with Johhnson instead of McBride.

You take risks in games, you can't hold back for the possibility someone might get hurt. I would not be pummeling Arena more if Italy scored because they had the advantage. I am confused as to why you don't use the sub when your entire starting team can barely walk towards the end.

Edit: I'm not an "unrealistic rabid US fan," either. It's tactics 101. Take off the slow guy up front and replace him with someone fast when the opposing defense is tired.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-17-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #1617
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

This is really stereotyping, and quite unfair. I'm sure there are plenty of Europeans that feel that way, but to say that all, even most, do is an exageration. Hell, other than Italians, I'd be willing to say most Europeans were rooting for the US to beat the Italians.

Seriously, you're better than this. I'm not sure if you're just overpassionate about the game or if there's some history w/ MIJB that I don't know about, but based purely on this thread alone I think you've been quite off base.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-17-2006 at 07:57 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:04 PM   #1618
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Didn't read through the last four pages or so, but my thoughts:

Red on De Rossi - Given. He obviously swung at McBride's face with intent and did it four feet from the ref. A dirty foul and FIFA should suspend him for more than the one game default.

Agreed.

Quote:
Red on Mastroeni - Yellow if Italy have 11, a technically justifable Red that shouldn't have been a red in a normal game. Studs technically up but he hit the player on the side and his feet never left the ground. Clearly going for the ball. Incredibly dumb play though. You just don't do it.
Agreed again. I can see where the ref could have seen it as a two footed cleats up tackle in realtime. Regardless, you just don't make a reckless tackle like that two minutes left in the half unless you're trying to save a goal.

Quote:
2nd Yellow on Pope - Not a yellow. A dumb play though by Pope who overall had a howler of a game. Directly responsible for the Italy goal and made several other poor decisions as well. Notice that the US defense didn't look much worse after he left. The worst US player on the field in my opinion. Not international class.

I can see it being a yellow, but any decent ref who knows he already has a yellow doesn't throw one there, that early in the second half. Still, it was undeniably reckless on Pope's part. My biggest problem with the ref wasn't the first two red cards per se, but more for the fact he alternated from calling it close to nothing at all seemingly randomly. If nothing else, a ref should be consistent. He was not.

Quote:
Mcbride - How Johnson didn't come on for him is beyond me. Just a horrible coaching decision. The guy hasn't done jack the whole tournament so far. Granted the service has been weak, but his positioning hasn't been super either. Rarely seems to be open.
I can sort of buy the argument that we needed McBride for set pieces since our set piece defense is sooo god awful, but if you buy that you have to admit you've done a terrible job of coaching against set pieces. Either way, when you're down to 9 men you absolutely do not go back to the locker rooms with a sub left unless you think your bench is absolutely crap. I'm not sure which scenario is worse.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-17-2006 at 08:06 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #1619
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This is horseshit. This is the classical defense by some American fans to any criticism. Before this tournament, a bunch of you were on my case for suggesting the Americans were the 3rd best team, and maybe the 4th - to listen to some of the posts here, they were worthy of their ranking. Too often, any time there is criticsm you lot don;t like - its the "European" fans horeshit. And I'm Indian, FWIW.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #1620
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I too was rooting for the Americans after that De Rossi elbow -absolutely classless. the Americans attempted to play football, while Italy was just... ugh in many ways.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 PM   #1621
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Couldn't read it all, but that was one of the worst refereeing jobs I have ever seen in football. Both U.S. reds were a joke, the Italian handball was a penalty, and Beasley's goal was valid.

As for the Italians? They sucked both games. 10 on 9 and I think the U.S. had more chances. In fact the U.S. actually scored. They'll go through and out in the quarter finals as usual. Is there anything more boring than watching a Serie A game?
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #1622
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Oh yeah, absolutely one of the gutsiest performances I have seen on a pitch by the U.S.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #1623
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Couldn't read it all, but that was one of the worst refereeing jobs I have ever seen in football. Both U.S. reds were a joke, the Italian handball was a penalty, and Beasley's goal was valid.

As for the Italians? They sucked both games. 10 on 9 and I think the U.S. had more chances. In fact the U.S. actually scored. They'll go through and out in the quarter finals as usual. Is there anything more boring than watching a Serie A game?

Sorry, but while the first red was really harsh, he was studs up and technically, its supposed to be a red - I do think it was a bit of a "makeup" call though, which sucked ass. The second was a 2nd yellow - as such, it wasnt really a red.

As for Beasley - did you not see McBride standing in front of the goalie ? He was 2 yards offside intefering with the goalie. I thought it was a goal for sure, until I watched the replay.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #1624
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh yeah, absolutely one of the gutsiest performances I have seen on a pitch by the U.S.

Definitely. Reyna impressed me - he looked dead at the end of the game, but was still running his guts out.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #1625
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Oh yeah, he was man today and the US's man of the match in the first game too.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #1626
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I guess I'm on crack. Both teams were giving up chances. Italy's defense was obviously tired. The US was certainly there for the taking as well with only 9 men. It's 9 v. 9 on the offensive end unless Buffon joins the attack. No forward is a great defender, so I don't really see the US defense suffering substantially with Johhnson instead of McBride.

You take risks in games, you can't hold back for the possibility someone might get hurt. I would not be pummeling Arena more if Italy scored because they had the advantage. I am confused as to why you don't use the sub when your entire starting team can barely walk towards the end.

Edit: I'm not an "unrealistic rabid US fan," either. It's tactics 101. Take off the slow guy up front and replace him with someone fast when the opposing defense is tired.

I'm sorry, but you CAN'T say BOTH teams were there for the taking. That's silly. Only one team can be there for the taking because it means that the team is completely outclassed.

And I'm sorry, but when you got crushed by the Czech Republic and after Ghana's win realize you have a damned good shot of going on if you draw, you don't take a wild risk to go for the win, leaving yourself short in the defense, when you have one less player than the other side.

Tactics 101 is that you realize you are one down and being two down would almost guarentee a loss the way the Italians were coming on. You don't risk that.

But, of course, now Arena is yelled at for being too conservative. If he was too aggressive he'd get just as pummeled, probably even more, since we'd be completely out of it (practically if not technically). Its like he never led this team to a WC Quarterfinal 4 years back.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #1627
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but when you got crushed by the Czech Republic and after Ghana's win realize you have a damned good shot of going on if you draw, you don't take a wild risk to go for the win, leaving yourself short in the defense, when you have one less player than the other side.

Tactics 101 is that you realize you are one down and being two down would almost guarentee a loss the way the Italians were coming on. You don't risk that.

Yes. Even with a one-goal win, the US still has to beat Ghana. Winning today just gets rid of goal-difference worries; that's nice, certainly, but it's not worth risking being eliminated in all but name.

I don't have a huge lot to say about the ref that hasn't been said already, but here goes. De Rossi's card was a no-brainer. Mastroeni's foul was two-footed and late - just the type of challenge refs have been cutting down on at the World Cup. I think a yellow and a warning would have been a much better call, but pulling a red is a defensible choice. Pope's second yellow, same thing: late challenge from behind, yellow is a real option even if leniency would be a better idea (the first yellow was bullshit, though). The ref spent the entire match consistently taking the harshest option legally available to him for no readily apparent reason; the US just had much more important plays in the gray area than Italy.

Oh, and blocking the goalkeeper's view certainly qualifies as interfering with an opponent.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #1628
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW.. I'm home.. after standing at Gilette for the USA game on the big screen, and then standing for the Revs/DC game. My feet have swelled to about twice their size, and I have to work tommorrow. Ugh.

Good result tho.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #1629
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why was the Ghanian player carrying around an Isreali flag after they won? I have a player in FM who plays on Lebanon but that makes little sense
Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #1630
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As stated before, he plays in Isreal.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #1631
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ah, must have missed that discussion
Old 06-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #1632
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Oh, and blocking the goalkeeper's view certainly qualifies as interfering with an opponent.

If Arena had taken off McBride, he wouldn't have been in an offside position. It's all Arena's fault
Old 06-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #1633
Easy Mac

No one asked, and I have no idea what I'm talking about, but my Football Manager ratings for the US v Shitaly match:

Keller - 8 - He made the great one-handed save and a couple of other decent ones. The goal wasn't his fault.
Dolo - 7 - Held down the right side decently. Made nice use of the right side of the field, but never really felt dangerous on the runs.
Pope - 4 - Would have been a 5 just because he lost his mark on the Italy goal, but gets a 4 for the sending off. He looked old.
Gooch - 6 - He was there, but didn't really do much. Generally that rates a 6 in the FM engine.
Boca - 6 - Almost worthy of a 7, but his passing wasn't there, and Italy didn't press his side as much as I thought they would.
Mastro - 6 - He was actually having a pretty decent match for the first 43 minutes or so. The red hurts. I still say it was at worst a yellow in a normal game with a normal ref, but the red really hurt (although we looked more dangerous 10v10 and 9v10 than 11v10)
Deuce - 7 - I lowered his from an 8 only because of bias. While on the field, he was the only dangerous American player and the only one who looked like he was having fun out there. If he had a whole match, he'd make himself a lot of money Hejduk in '98 style.
Reyna - 8 - I'm not sure how FM handles "guts", but he laid everything out on the field. By now we know what we get with Reyna every game. He's a solid 8 if healthy everytime, but you never know if he'll pick up a little knock.
Convey - 6 - Never looked dangerous. The US would do good to play it down the right with Dempsey and Dolo and leave Convey and Boca on the wrong side.
Lando - 6 - He had a very nice backheel that should have led to a goal, and his run down the right splitting Italy was a thing of beauty. But he just disappears for long stretches and his feet were made of concrete for the first 30 minutes. He like the A-Rod of the US. They're great players, but they're not there when you need them (or at least that's the impression).
McHead - 7 - Gets a 7 only because he was the only forward and put everything on the field. His pestering of the Italian led to the own goal.

subs:
Conrad - 6 - He was there, and I'm sure he did something, but I didn't see it.
Bease - 5 - A waste of talent. It's like he was content to walk around.

I'd rate Italy, but I think all the diving would have broken the FM engine.

Strangely, the 9v10 played out like most of my FM games.

SO how wrong am I?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #1634
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was nice to see Conrad ge ton the field. He went to my HS
Old 06-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #1635
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
my Football Manager ratings for the US v Shitaly match

You get a 10 for using "Shitaly"
Old 06-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #1636
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
SO how wrong am I?

I think you underrated Bocanegra.

Landon is tough. He looked a lot better today than v. CR, but at the same time, save for the one pass, we didn't have chances. At all.

I know people have said "results plz" but I was very happy with our effort today, sans Beasley who shouldn't play for the US again until he wakes up.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #1637
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, what is up with Beasley... he's sulking, he's not giving effort. You'd have thought that Arena's calling him out would have lit a fire under him or something to prove the coach wrong. Yikes.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM   #1638
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Yes. Even with a one-goal win, the US still has to beat Ghana. Winning today just gets rid of goal-difference worries; that's nice, certainly, but it's not worth risking being eliminated in all but name.

I don't have a huge lot to say about the ref that hasn't been said already, but here goes. De Rossi's card was a no-brainer. Mastroeni's foul was two-footed and late - just the type of challenge refs have been cutting down on at the World Cup. I think a yellow and a warning would have been a much better call, but pulling a red is a defensible choice. Pope's second yellow, same thing: late challenge from behind, yellow is a real option even if leniency would be a better idea (the first yellow was bullshit, though). The ref spent the entire match consistently taking the harshest option legally available to him for no readily apparent reason; the US just had much more important plays in the gray area than Italy.

I agree with that. Then the no-call on the handball made no sense, all things considered.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #1639
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
I agree with that. Then the no-call on the handball made no sense, all things considered.

Oh man - you guys seriously think that should have been a penalty? Completely accidental, away from the play, didn't stop a goalscoring opportunity or a ball into the box. I don't think I've ever seen that call made, but nothing that ref did would have surprised me.

IF you call that a penalty, you pretty much have to call the shirt pull against the US in the box in the last 10 mins a penalty as well. Thankfully loony ref called neither.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:19 AM   #1640
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Oh man - you guys seriously think that should have been a penalty? Completely accidental, away from the play, didn't stop a goalscoring opportunity or a ball into the box. I don't think I've ever seen that call made, but nothing that ref did would have surprised me.

IF you call that a penalty, you pretty much have to call the shirt pull against the US in the box in the last 10 mins a penalty as well. Thankfully loony ref called neither.

How exactly can a hand ball occur "away from the play"?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:22 AM   #1641
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy

What I meant is that seeing as he truly was going with the harshest interpretation of the rules, it was odd that he let so much go in the final 30 of the game.

That call certainly would've been irregular, but so is a world cup game finishing 10 v 9.

That's all I meant.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:24 AM   #1642
kingfc22
Head Coach

As far as the sub thing goes. Since Bruce didn't bring on Johnson around the 75' mark, I wanted him to bring on some defensive help around the 85' mark. At that point it was clear that we were not going to put any pressure on with our tired legs and we could have used some fresh legs to help out in our own end. Luckily we escaped with the tie.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #1643
vyshka
Mascot

I think by the final 30 he had painted himself into a corner with his earlier decisions and pretty much took himself out of the game. Absolutely horrible officiating. No one was happier for the final whistle than that guy.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #1644
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I personally thought when it was 11vs11 and especially 11vs10 the US team looked the more lively and dominant (even when Italy went a goal up).

Italy were always going to be dangerous because they're a clinical side and more than happy to play defensively and score on the break - but I was very impressed with the work rate of the US side, especially when they went a man down and still managed to make the occasional dangerous foray forward.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 AM   #1645
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
This is really stereotyping, and quite unfair. I'm sure there are plenty of Europeans that feel that way, but to say that all, even most, do is an exageration. Hell, other than Italians, I'd be willing to say most Europeans were rooting for the US to beat the Italians.
Exactly.

The Italian soccer teams is probably the most disliked team in Europe, second to Germany. Of course, I'm not because Italy didn't luck into the most underserved victory over my own country in 2000. And I really want Italy to get deep into the tournament because they have proven to be the one team who know how to beat the current generation. [And this is where I usually insert the rolleyes smilie because the former lines are ment in sarcasm].

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Seriously, you're better than this. I'm not sure if you're just overpassionate about the game or if there's some history w/ MIJB that I don't know about, but based purely on this thread alone I think you've been quite off base.
There is no history that I know of. I asked again about it in this thread, but if GE decided to keep it at a "If you're European (whatever that is), you have to be against any form of success for the USA", so be it. But it should say enough when someone (GE) only talks in stereotypes, trying to talk someone else (me) into being stereotypical and then claiming you (GE) are sick of people who stereotype. Can people please stop feeding this troll from here on? Thank you in advance.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #1646
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Ok, I read through this whole thread...

I just want to comment that the one and only truly atrocious call was the 2nd yellow on Pope. It was a DEBATABLE foul, CERTAINLY not a yellow, and no way in fucking hell a 2nd yellow in a 10v10 situation.

I have no idea why the ref pulled yellow for that 'foul', but I'm sure that when he did he forgot that Pope already had one.

That one call was one of the worst decisions by a referee I have ever seen. Simply amateur, someone who has no feel for the game.

There's no way you can call out Pope for making that tackle. He won the ball from the side, was certainly not vicious, had his studs down, and maybe was just a touch aggressive on the follow-through. But to say he was taking too big of a risk is insane. He made a good tackle and the referee sucked.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #1647
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Yeah, what is up with Beasley... he's sulking, he's not giving effort. You'd have thought that Arena's calling him out would have lit a fire under him or something to prove the coach wrong. Yikes.

Just my opinion, but I don't think he came on sulking. He was working hard for the first few minutes, but after his goal was called back and that run where the defender took him down with no penalty (it shouldn't have been one, but would have been earlier in the game), I think he quit. He seems to shut down when things don't go his way. I agree with everyone saying he should never be on the team again. The guy's talent is too tempting to use, and he'll always break your heart.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #1648
Easy Mac

I'd disagree with that assessment. He may not have been sulking as much, but the first time he touched the ball he made a lazy, horrible pass and looked completely disinterested.

The Jap-Croat game has been relatively exciting. No goals yet, but decent end to end play. The Japs (is that un-PC) were just flying all over the field in the first half. It's exactly how you'd expect a stereotypical Japanese team to play, just guys moving around like little butterflies. The Croats haven't shown a lot of skill, but they seem to find the seems well, but aside from a long strike off the crossbar, they have very little finishing skills. Good PK save from the Japanese guy as well.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #1649
Critch
lolzcat

The brother of Australia striker Marko Viduka has gambled his house on Australia and Croatia qualifying from their groupl. If he's right he gets a beachfront apartment worth about $3mil, if he's wrong he loses his house. The Vidukas are Croatian Australians.

Since they're in Brazil's group, he better start looking for a rental
Old 06-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #1650
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Good PK save from the Japanese guy as well.

He almost spoiled it all with that pass back he let bounce over his foot.