Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2024, 07:53 PM   #1601
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who was the last legendary head coach to retire at or near the top of the game? I think Coach K has only been to one Duke game since he retired and that was because Mike Brey was coaching his last game at Cameron with Notre Dame. Does Saban make a regular appearance at Alabama home games next year and cast that shadow over the next head coach? I can't shake the image of Sir Alex Ferguson intentionally or unintentionally lording over Manchester United games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:56 PM   #1602
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I can't help but think Saban will probably be spotted at more Georgia practices next year than Alabama's. He has a big house out here on a lake that is his retirement spot, and he is close with Kirby.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:13 PM   #1603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Who was the last legendary head coach to retire at or near the top of the game?

Tom Osborne maybe? Finished 60-3 in his final five seasons
Old 01-11-2024, 05:00 AM   #1604
GrantDawg

A local news anchor in Eugene said on air last night that he had confirmation that Dan Lanning was in Tuscaloosa last night, and the Bama team was told they should expect a decision on a replacement in the next 72 hours. As always, take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:08 AM   #1605
GrantDawg

Btw, here is a crazy name that I just saw some former players batting around but I haven't seen on any Ryan's, Demeco Ryans.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:29 AM   #1606
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Probably. It is probably because I was so much younger but when he retired it felt much clearer that he was never coming back to coaching. With Saban, it will feel like he could leave the suite in his regular clothes, jumped in the elevator when he left the elevator to head to the sidelines he would be in his coaching gear.

Sidenote- I just looked up Coach Osborne's Wiki. I did not know that he had a PHD in educational psychology. I feel like I should have heard more about one of the greatest coaches of all time having a PHD then I have heard about Matt Patricia supposedly being a rocket scientist.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-11-2024, 08:54 AM   #1607
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Michigan broke Saban!

And NCAA president Charlie Baker said that the Wolverines were clearly “the better team” and "at the end of the day, no one believes at this point that Michigan didn’t win the national title fair and square.”

What a season!

#Fair&Square
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-11-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:33 AM   #1608
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wonder if the new playoff system also gave Saban a nudge. It's one thing to win a one game championship or even a four team playoff. Twelve teams? Even with a bye you have to win three games, which even for the best teams is going to be more perilous than two.

(Yes, you could say that Bama already had that in needing to beat Georgia, I guess.)
Old 01-11-2024, 11:23 AM   #1609
GrantDawg

Lanning announced he staying and there goes the most likely Bama coaching replacement. Whose next is just a bunch of contention.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-11-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:38 AM   #1610
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I got back yesterday from the CFB Title game. I am gutted that my Huskies lost but what an amazing experience.

UM gave us every chance to get back into the game and we just couldn't do it. Penix missing a wide open Odunze, the INT to start the second half, and the long pass called back on a penalty were all a killer. Our side of the stadium was just waiting to explode and UM never let us get there.

All the credit to them they were the better team and deserved it but I wouldn't change the experience for the world.

Have to give a shout out to the UM fans who literally every one of them were awesome. There was a real sense of respect and comradery between the two groups, even after the game.

Just a top notch experience, minus the loss of course. Congrats to the UM fans here.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-11-2024 at 12:05 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:39 AM   #1611
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Lanning announced he staying and there goes the most likely Bama coaching replacement. Whose next is just a bunch of contention.

A good friend is dialed in to UW sports. apparently Kalen DeBoer and Saban have the same agent. UW tried to ink him to a long term deal and the agent told him to hold off.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:05 PM   #1612
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
A good friend is dialed in to UW sports. apparently Kalen DeBoer and Saban have the same agent. UW tried to ink him to a long term deal and the agent told him to hold off.
That's intereting, and he is a good coach, but I will say this about the Alabama job: I don't think they will even consider someone who is not a Saban disciple. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. They are going to want to keep the same culture that they have had the past 17 years mainly because they are not going to allow for a rebuild. The new coach is going to be expected to come in without any kind of drop off.

I think it more likely DeBoer might be a candidate for the Michigan job if Harbaugh goes to the NFL as expected.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:12 PM   #1613
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That's intereting, and he is a good coach, but I will say this about the Alabama job: I don't think they will even consider someone who is not a Saban disciple. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. They are going to want to keep the same culture that they have had the past 17 years mainly because they are not going to allow for a rebuild. The new coach is going to be expected to come in without any kind of drop off.

I think it more likely DeBoer might be a candidate for the Michigan job if Harbaugh goes to the NFL as expected.

Maybe, but DeBoer has won big everywhere he went. Coming off an appearance in the title game could swing some recruits to stick around and it would be a pretty flashy hire. He would also likely bring Grubb with him, who Bama tried to hire and were turned down.

I obviously hope he stays at UW.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:15 PM   #1614
GrantDawg

Quote:
Maybe, but DeBoer has won big everywhere he went. Coming off an appearance in the title game could swing some recruits to stick around and it would be a pretty flashy hire. He would also likely bring Grubb with him, who Bama tried to hire and were turned down.

I obviously hope he stays at UW.
It is not a resume thing. It is a "Bama Way" thing. They had the same attitude pre-Saban where they only wanted guys tied to Bear Bryant. There is a reason that Alabama and incestuous goes hand in hand, and it is not just their family trees.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:17 PM   #1615
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It is not a resume thing. It is a "Bama Way" thing. They had the same attitude pre-Saban where they only wanted guys tied to Bear Bryant. There is a reason that Alabama and incestuous goes hand in hand, and it is not just their family trees.

Did Saban have any connection ( not being snarky, I don't think he did but wasn't sure) because if not maybe they have learned just bringing in winners is better than the brand.

Also who is the guy then? Sark?
Old 01-11-2024, 01:27 PM   #1616
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Maybe, but DeBoer has won big everywhere he went.

No kidding. He even won at INDIANA.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #1617
GrantDawg

Quote:
Did Saban have any connection ( not being snarky, I don't think he did but wasn't sure) because if not maybe they have learned just bringing in winners is better than the brand.

Also who is the guy then? Sark?
No, but by the time Saban was hired they had mostly all aged out and that wasn't an option. But they did try a couple of non-Bryant guys and they got killed for not having immediate success. By the time Saban came along, they had been mid for more than 10 years.

I want you to imagine having sustained success for 17 years doing things one way. You are still on the top doing it that way. Would you want to take a chance on a radical change that at best MIGHT be as good as you are now? Or wouldn't you rather try to stay the proven course?
Again, I'm not saying they might have to move on from the Saban tree. There are only so many guys that have a proven track record and fit into that system, and they are mostly well set (like Lanning or Smart). They are going to try to find a Bama guy first and foremost, though.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:04 PM   #1618
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Yup, he seems to be the answer to that. Bear Bryant finished pretty strong too (won the SEC for like 10 years in a row) but his last season wasn't great. Then again I think he was on the verge of death that season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:22 PM   #1619
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yup, he seems to be the answer to that. Bear Bryant finished pretty strong too (won the SEC for like 10 years in a row) but his last season wasn't great. Then again I think he was on the verge of death that season.
Yeah, Bear liked retired then took three steps and dropped dead.

The story of Saban's retirement has gotten strange. It looks like he hadn't really decided to retire as of yesterday. He came into the office and spent the day recruiting and interviewing coaching candidates for open positions. According to the story, he interviewed Bo Davis to come be the D-line coach and when he offered him the job Davis said "I just can't coach. I don't know how much longer you will be there,"
Saban finished his last interview at 3:55, and walked into the team meeting at 4pm and retired.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #1620
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

More notice than he gave Miami!
Old 01-11-2024, 03:10 PM   #1621
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It sucks losing Bo Davis to LSU. He's the one that gave the paint peeling ass chewing on the bus to the players after Texas lost to Iowa State in 2021 that marked a turning point in the team's culture.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:38 PM   #1622
GrantDawg

I'm going to eat my hat if true, but it seems DeBeor seems to be the betting favorite. Now that Lanning is out and Sark is very unlikely, there not a whole lot of top tier options left with Bama ties. The Bama people I am seeing are wishing Sark will come, but believe Debeor is the most likely to agree.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:40 PM   #1623
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Losing the Natty and DeBoer in a span of 72 hours would be absolutely vomit inducing...We were really looking set for a while.

Maybe Pete Carroll would come to UW.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:48 PM   #1624
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm going to guess that Saban will get a fat check from ESPN to do studio work next season. It's a big year for them and he has to be one of the most sought after guys for media.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:54 PM   #1625
GrantDawg

Quote:
Losing the Natty and DeBoer in a span of 72 hours would be absolutely vomit inducing...We were really looking set for a while.

Maybe Pete Carroll would come to UW.
See, I still question it. Saban just said in an interview that he still going to have an office in the building above the coaches, and said "I can still get on your ass from up there..." Is a guy like Debeor going to be fine with the ghost of the greatest college coach ever looking over his shoulder? It almost makes me think that while everyone is expecting an established guy, they may head fake and hire a coordinator. One name that was bandied about was Glenn Schumann. He is only 34, but he has two degrees from Bama. That would be a out of left field hire, but one that might make sense if Saban is still going to be heavily involved in the team.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-11-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:07 PM   #1626
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
See, I still question it. Saban just said in an interview that he still going to have an office in the building above the coaches, and said "I can still get on your ass from up there..." Is a guy like Debeor going to be fine with the ghost of the greatest college coach ever looking over his shoulder? It almost makes me think that while everyone is expecting an established guy, they may head fake and hire a coordinator. One name that was bandied about was Glenn Schumann. He is only 34, but he has two degrees from Bama. That would be a out of left field hire, but one that might make sense if Saban is still going to be heavily involved in the team.

You just never know with these guys. They all have some level of ego and ambition. He also knows UW is losing an insane amount of talent, doesn't have a great incoming class, and is moving to the Big 10. This is definitely a strike while the iron is hot moment. We easily could be 7-5 next year and a lot of the shine comes off him.

Odds are there will never be better time for him.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:11 PM   #1627
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just read on twitter so take it for what it is worth that a private jet left Seattle for Tuscaloosa.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:23 PM   #1628
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Just read on twitter so take it for what it is worth that a private jet left Seattle for Tuscaloosa.

Pete Carroll to Alabama confirmed.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:27 PM   #1629
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Pete Carroll to Alabama confirmed.

Maybe he and DeBoer are on the same flight
Old 01-11-2024, 04:38 PM   #1630
GrantDawg

The other rumor is Deboer to the Seahawks.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:42 PM   #1631
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, Bear liked retired then took three steps and dropped dead.

The story of Saban's retirement has gotten strange. It looks like he hadn't really decided to retire as of yesterday. He came into the office and spent the day recruiting and interviewing coaching candidates for open positions. According to the story, he interviewed Bo Davis to come be the D-line coach and when he offered him the job Davis said "I just can't coach. I don't know how much longer you will be there,"
Saban finished his last interview at 3:55, and walked into the team meeting at 4pm and retired.

If I had to pick a way for Saban to retire, that would be it. He was never going to be someone who was going to do the farewell tour. He was never going to go 6-5 and get fired. Unless the plan is for him to die on the job, him being at work and deciding I don't want to do this to the level I usually do this so I am done seems on brand. Questions about his age will only increase not decrease. If coaches are asking about it, I can't imagine what it is like among recruits.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:53 PM   #1632
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Saban Irish good-byed college football.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:30 PM   #1633
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm going to guess that Saban will get a fat check from ESPN to do studio work next season. It's a big year for them and he has to be one of the most sought after guys for media.

Maybe ESPN will hand Saban a few Emmys as well

ESPN caught in ridiculously dumb Emmy fraud scandal
Old 01-12-2024, 07:53 AM   #1634
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Casey Thompson was granted a 7th year of eligibility and will be transferring to Oklahoma, his 4th school.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #1635
GrantDawg

Old 01-12-2024, 11:57 AM   #1636
GrantDawg

There is not a bigger fan of Alabama than Jimmy Sexton. This job search has bought him his own private island.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:59 AM   #1637
cartman
Death Herald

sounds like Texas is revving up the money machine to keep Sark around for a long time
Old 01-12-2024, 12:15 PM   #1638
GrantDawg

This stat is insane. Only four active college coaches (Smart, Dabo, Mack Brown and Harbaugh) that have won Nation Championships. If Harbaugh goes to the NFL, it is down to three.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:22 PM   #1639
cartman
Death Herald

and last season, North Carolina had two coaches that had won national championships on their staff
Old 01-12-2024, 12:27 PM   #1640
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Twitter is wild.

Beat writer says DeBoer would be a home run hire. Guy disagrees and says Sark or Lanning would be home run hires. Continues to argue despite the fact it gets pointed out to him DeBoer is 5-0 the last 2 seasons vs those two.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:32 PM   #1641
miami_fan
Coordinator

Not saying that this has anything to do with FSU suing the ACC but I am also saying this has nothing to do with the lawsuit.

NCAA penalizes FSU football; assistant gets 3-game ban for violations - ESPN

Quote:
NCAA rules prohibit boosters from using the promise of NIL deals as an incentive to try to convince a prospect to attend or transfer to a particular school.

So boosters of other schools are waiting to surprise recruits with NIL deals until after the prospect decides to attend the school?
Old 01-12-2024, 12:55 PM   #1642
GrantDawg

Quote:
Twitter is wild.

Beat writer says DeBoer would be a home run hire. Guy disagrees and says Sark or Lanning would be home run hires. Continues to argue despite the fact it gets pointed out to him DeBoer is 5-0 the last 2 seasons vs those two.
That is what I'm talking about with that fan-base and their boosters. If they didn't do it in the SEC or at Alabama then it is a lesser accomplishment.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:58 PM   #1643
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not saying that this has anything to do with FSU suing the ACC but I am also saying this has nothing to do with the lawsuit.

NCAA penalizes FSU football; assistant gets 3-game ban for violations - ESPN

So boosters of other schools are waiting to surprise recruits with NIL deals until after the prospect decides to attend the school?
No. And this is very obviously happening at every school. The rules around this kind of thing needs to be changed or clarified. So much all of this process needs to be sorted out, but no one has the balls to do it. I really like the idea being floated of making Saban the Czar of college football for a couple of years. He is not against the NIL or even the portal, but he does think it needs to be reformed and made to make sense.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:05 PM   #1644
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Twitter is wild.

But does DeBoer have what it takes to recruit in the southeast/east? Look no further than Auburn to see what hiring the wrong fit can do. The other two have at least eaten at a Waffle House presumably.

The name & mystique will get Alabama some players for years to come but it wouldn't take long for that to wear down enough to be the difference between a contending roster and an also-ran roster. They labored in steadily declining fortunes as long after Bryant as they prospered under Saban. I have to think they're leery of doing so again.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:16 PM   #1645
cartman
Death Herald

Sounds like we are about to find out. Bama and Deboer are finalizing a contract.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:26 PM   #1646
Swaggs
Coordinator

Isn't the most tidy set of moves for Ryan Day to go to Alabama and then Mike Vrabel to become the head coach of Ohio State?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 01:28 PM   #1647
GrantDawg

Do you think after Alabama's last hire out of Washington that they will assign a baby-sitter for Deboer, at least for any charity events in the off-season?
Old 01-12-2024, 01:44 PM   #1648
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Isn't the most tidy set of moves for Ryan Day to go to Alabama and then Mike Vrabel to become the head coach of Ohio State?

Day is loading up big time for next year but this is the dream scenario for some OSU fans. I'm not one of them. Vrabel is a great NFL coach but he hated college students when he was in college
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 01:47 PM   #1649
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m gutted. This sucks.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:53 PM   #1650
HerRealName
College Prospect

It's wild that if Saban had pulled the trigger 2 - 3 years ago, Swinney would have been hired in about 15 minutes. Now he's not even under consideration.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote