Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #1601
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
David Archuleta is a pleasure to listen to.

In addition to being a band director, do you also teach choir?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #1602
MJ4H
Coordinator

No.

ETA: our choir director is hot, though.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #1603
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha Cook did really well with that. About 2 cringe-worthy pitch problems, but he knocked it out of the park.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #1604
MJ4H
Coordinator

Incidentally, I abstained on Syesha intentionally. She sang in a style that I just don't really enjoy and I think is pretty tough for me to critique. Purely objectively, I think she did fine, though the run at the end was a bit rough in the middle. Subjectively, though, I didn't enjoy it at all and was kind of lost musically most of the time.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #1605
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well this is a disaster. What a terrible song choice. Am I the only one that doesn't know this song again?

eta: dammit people learn your effin lyrics

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-13-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #1606
rjolley
College Starter

I thought they all did well with their first song. Cook did exactly what I thought he would do and was the best of the first 3.

That Chris Brown song just did not fit DavidA at all, and he struggled. Just didn't look comfortable at all.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #1607
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

David A shouldn't have done that.

Syesha should call Carrot Top to get some props.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #1608
MJ4H
Coordinator

Now that was a performance I can behind by Syesha. Very nice.

eta after judge: wow, I didn't agree with them on that. I thought she did a nice contemporary take on the song.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-13-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #1609
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm guessing because they want it to be competitive. It's like having Pujols and two double A guys in a HR derby. You better have Gaylord Perry on the mound when Pujols bats.

I doubt the voters see it that way but I'm in the camp that believes the public votes are used as advisement.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #1610
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Does Archuleta need to have the same face for every song? He is singing this song looking like he is trying to drop a duece.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #1611
MJ4H
Coordinator

Round 1: Cook, Archuleta, Syesha
Round 2: Syesha, Cook, Archuleta
Round 3: Archuleta, Cook, Syesha

Simon said Cook wins the night, and I agree, but not by much, as you see above. It wasn't by virtue of that Aerosmith disaster. His pitch was horrible, the worst I've heard him in awhile (pitch has always been his achilles heel, but he has controlled it pretty well in the last, say, 6-7 weeks). Cook's performance of the Roberta Flack tune was what won it tonight. Archuleta was very average (to bad!) all night, but that was enough, I think, to sneak past Syesha's really bizarre night, and abyssmal last song (worst of the night from anyone).

Should be Syesha going home on merit this time. In reality, who knows. It certainly doesn't always go by merit.

Last edited by MJ4H : 05-13-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #1612
rjolley
College Starter

Archuleta's song was good, Cook's song was good......what in the hell was that crap they gave Syesha? She sang whatever was there to sing ok, but really, against the songs the 2 David's got to sing? Really?

I didn't expect Syesha to make it to the final two, but did they have to give her a song that basically guarantees she won't make it? I've seen Happy Feet with my kids more than once and don't remember that song at all. I could pick 5 contemporary female R&B artists for her to sing, and they choose Gia Farrell? Who?

Just disappointing. If she makes it to the top 2 after that, I'll be totally shocked.

Last edited by rjolley : 05-13-2008 at 08:07 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #1613
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Syesha? She sang whatever was there to sing ok

yeaaaaahh, im gonna go ahead and have to disagree with you on that one
Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #1614
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Archuleta's song was good, Cook's song was good......what in the hell was that crap they gave Syesha? She sang whatever was there to sing ok, but really, against the songs the 2 David's got to sing? Really?

I didn't expect Syesha to make it to the final two, but did they have to give her a song that basically guarantees she won't make it? I've seen Happy Feet with my kids more than once and don't remember that song at all. I could pick 5 contemporary female R&B artists for her to sing, and they choose Gia Farrell? Who?

Just disappointing. If she makes it to the top 2 after that, I'll be totally shocked.

Totally agree. Clear as day who the producers of the show want to make the final two. It's really somewhat shameful to look at it to be honest. They could have chosen a song that many more people would know and that would not have been seen as some little kiddie song. I actually think she was better than David A tonight who I thought had his worst night all season overall. However, she doesn't have a chance against the other two.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #1615
korme
Go Reds

MJ4H you are so out of the loop with contemporary hits

Best performance of the night goes to Cook's rendition of "Miss a Thing"
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #1616
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I thought they all did well with their first song. Cook did exactly what I thought he would do and was the best of the first 3.

That Chris Brown song just did not fit DavidA at all, and he struggled. Just didn't look comfortable at all.

Archuleta has just proven to the world that he can only do shmaltzy ballads and is unable to do anything contemporary.

AND he did it by his own decision. Not very wise.

Last edited by Mota : 05-13-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #1617
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
MJ4H you are so out of the loop with contemporary hits

Best performance of the night goes to Cook's rendition of "Miss a Thing"

where is the vomit smiley
Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #1618
kurtism
High School Varsity

Good God. Just watched the tivo'd show, and I think Simon called a Bryan Adams song "One of the greatest songs of all time." I am now flabbergasted.

*shakes head*
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #1619
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm only about halfway through the show, but I think Archuleta did fine with the Chris Brown song. He actually looked like a kid, not a trained puppy doing an act for old people.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #1620
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Good God. Just watched the tivo'd show, and I think Simon called a Bryan Adams song "One of the greatest songs of all time." I am now flabbergasted.

*shakes head*

You mean Aerosmith. Written by Diane Warren, who just happens to be in the audience.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #1621
Ksyrup

I think between the one-two punch of that Chris Brown song followed by Dan Folgelberg, David A. has cemented his place as the next Michael Bolton. He has been compared to Clay Aiken some, and I've got another reason to compare them - it's going to take one hell of a post-AI/pre-CD release makeover to turn this kid into what they thought they were getting when they hand-picked him to be a finalist for this show last summer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #1622
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm only about halfway through the show, but I think Archuleta did fine with the Chris Brown song. He actually looked like a kid, not a trained puppy doing an act for old people.

Aside from the fact that he couldn't breathe or stay in tune at all, I completely agree
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #1623
kurtism
High School Varsity

I stand corrected. Terrible song, less embarrassing artist. As for DA, it was impressive to see someone take a Dan Fogelberg song and make it even less ballsy.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #1624
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Aside from the fact that he couldn't breathe or stay in tune at all, I completely agree
At least he was smiling. He actually looked like he was having fun for a change. We already know the kid can sing. I'd rather see him enjoying the experience at this point instead of making grandmothers across America touch themselves.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #1625
Ksyrup

I was underwhelmed with Cook tonight. Pitch problems all over the place, nothing that really rocked, and I was very disappointed the Collective Soul choice was either wrong or he changed it.

As usual, Syesha was better than the judges gave her credit for, and she's the easy choice to go home. Randy is so far up the producers' asses, it's not even funny. He automatically gives her bad/non-enthusiastic reviews, then goes apeshit after every Archie performance.

At this point, I don't care who wins. And ironically, I'll be traveling during the final episode, so I'm already looking forward to next summer's auditions.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #1626
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
At least he was smiling. He actually looked like he was having fun for a change. We already know the kid can sing. I'd rather see him enjoying the experience at this point instead of making grandmothers across America touch themselves.

Tay Zonday is probably enjoying himself when he sings, but that doesn't translate to listening pleasure.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #1627
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Tay Zonday is probably enjoying himself when he sings, but that doesn't translate to listening pleasure.
OK, grandma.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #1628
Ksyrup

Are you speaking to me or MJ4H?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #1629
Rizon
Pro Starter

The judges were all on Paula Pills tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #1630
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just watched the recording. Strange night.

Only one thing stood out.... Syesha looked HOT and LOVED her second song.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #1631
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As usual, Syesha was better than the judges gave her credit for, and she's the easy choice to go home. Randy is so far up the producers' asses, it's not even funny. He automatically gives her bad/non-enthusiastic reviews, then goes apeshit after every Archie performance.

How long can they get away with this? Archuleta has been decidedly mediocre for several weeks now, and they rave for every one of his performances. At one point my wife and I were screaming "Are you even listening?" to the TV.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #1632
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

From the Frontier:

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=256

Overall: A predictable night where each contestant was firmly planted exactly where he or she belongs this season. We heard what they will record as professionals. And what they won’t.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #1633
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
The judges were all on Paula Pills tonight.

Interestingly, Paula herself was not. She was very critical last night.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #1634
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
where is the vomit smiley

except for the fact that he missed the next to last note (which he held for 5 seconds) by about 2 miles....it actually started to hurt my ears he was so far off

thats the thing about david archuletta...he is the only one that hits his notes in stream...the others miss by a little (or in some cases alot), and then tune themselves while they are holding the note.....last night was the first time i really noticed david cook doing it, but syesha has been doing it the entire competition.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #1635
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
How long can they get away with this? Archuleta has been decidedly mediocre for several weeks now, and they rave for every one of his performances. At one point my wife and I were screaming "Are you even listening?" to the TV.

Until tonight, because after tonight, it won't matter anymore.

Interesting DI results...predictable, yet I don't think Seacrest will tout the "closest race ever" in the matchup of Davids.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #1636
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
except for the fact that he missed the next to last note (which he held for 5 seconds) by about 2 miles....it actually started to hurt my ears he was so far off

thats the thing about david archuletta...he is the only one that hits his notes in stream...the others miss by a little (or in some cases alot), and then tune themselves while they are holding the note.....last night was the first time i really noticed david cook doing it, but syesha has been doing it the entire competition.

That's always been Syesha's problem. She's much better now than she was a few years back on The One (NBC's attempt at an AI show), but I remembered her enough to recall her massive pitch problems then. She's reigned it in a bit, but she can almost never get through a performance without some pitch problems.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #1637
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Are you speaking to me or MJ4H?
I was speaking to you, grandma. Sorry, I was a bit ambiguous there, grandma.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #1638
Ksyrup

That was more of a tweak aimed at MJ4H than anything. I just couldn't resist, especially since before you even posted that I was thinking of taking his "David Archuleta is pleasing to listen to" comment and posting a picture of someone's grandma under it.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #1639
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
From the Frontier:

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=256

Overall: A predictable night where each contestant was firmly planted exactly where he or she belongs this season. We heard what they will record as professionals. And what they won’t.

Best column, yet.

I agree with the critiques, as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #1640
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
That was more of a tweak aimed at MJ4H than anything. I just couldn't resist, especially since before you even posted that I was thinking of taking his "David Archuleta is pleasing to listen to" comment and posting a picture of someone's grandma under it.
Well, damn.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #1641
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post

*shakes head*

HA!

One of my friends does a recap of each AI show as part of his blog, and had this line:

It's that Aerosmith song from Armageddon that Bryan Adams must have passed on.

So, I think you have a legit excuse for confusing the two.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #1642
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No surprise tonight.

Fantasia is one hideous creature, did anyone see the look on Simon's face right after she performed? It was priceless.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #1643
JeeberD
General Manager

Indeed. That was almost the highlight of the season for me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #1644
Ksyrup

Chris Tucker in drag...NOW WITH RED HAIR!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #1645
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Indeed. That was almost the highlight of the season for me...

You know what's funny? We watched the first 45 seconds of her song (would have been less, but I was so dumbfounded by what I saw I couldn't tear myself away) that I saw Simon's look even through the fast-forward past the rest of her performance. We went back and watched that part in real time to confirm what it looked like in FF.

I obviously haven't followed her since she left AI, but every time she has come back has been an absolute disaster. I remember when she came back to do her first single and almost went hoarse she was screaming so much. And last night...I'm not sure what the hell that was. I couldn't understand of word of it, and I'm not sure she was even singing. That was horrid. I wonder how many sales she's lost by appearing on AI?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-15-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #1646
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You know what's funny? We watched the first 45 seconds of her song (would have been less, but I was so dumbfounded by what I saw I couldn't tear myself away) that I saw Simon's look even through the fast-forward past the rest of her performance. We went back and watched that part in real time to confirm what it looked like in FF.

I obviously haven't followed her since she left AI, but every time she has come back has been an absolute disaster. I remember when she came back to do her first single and almost went hoarse she was screaming so much. And last night...I'm not sure what the hell that was. I couldn't understand of word of it, and I'm not sure she was even singing. That was horrid. I wonder how many sales she's lost by appearing on AI?

lol, my wife and I did the same thing.

I can't get over what a beast she is.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #1647
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I was actually frightened watching her.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #1648
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My first comment upon seeing Fantasia was "It's RuPaul!" Then my mind made the connection to Chris Tucker in "The Fifth Element." Fantasia's entire, uh, "performance" was utterly disturbing. Simon's face definitely said it all.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #1649
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

gosh, where did they all park?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #1650
Ksyrup

The only other memorable moment last night - besides Ryan reading the Chaka Khan thing and getting flustered because he knew immediately that was wrong and lost his train of thought - was when the 112 year old mayor of Sarasota did a handstand, and I cracked, "That's the closest her boobs have been to her shoulders since 1974."

That, in a nutshell, is why I enjoy watching reality TV.