Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2003, 02:26 PM   #1601
Karim
College Starter

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F47312795

Interesting article on the internal dynamics of Leafland. Time to fire Quinn...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #1602
bbor
Pro Starter

Quinn has done a good job with the Leafs to get them to this position,but to get to the next level i think it is time for him to go.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:57 AM   #1603
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. I found the old girl on page 4. We've been negligent in our duties, lads...

Well, TSN.ca/nhl is reporting that CuJo has a broken ankle. It will require surgery. It will take months to heal. He apparently wont be ready until January.

This is great. I am none too pleased. This means the Wings are basically going to have to sit on two $8 million goalies. Trying to trade CuJo after he gets healthy will be harder then it was going to be. An $8 million goalie with a gimpy ankle who hasn't played in 9 months is not a very attractive asset. Worse than all of this, the Wings desperately needed help up front and trading CuJo was the best option to cure this need. Well, could be worse, at least he was only our "back up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:15 PM   #1604
bbor
Pro Starter

Now they are saying Cujo just had Calcium deposits removed from his ankle..and he'll only be down for 4-6 wekks...lucky for the Wings if it is true.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:09 AM   #1605
Karim
College Starter

Nothing earth shattering, but maybe an indication of where we're headed...

Jeff Shantz, former Blackhawk/Flame/Avalanche, will be playing in Switzerland next year after a lack of free agent offers this summer.

He's a serviceable player that could help some team. I mean if there's room in the NHL for Clarke Wilm and Chris Clark, there's definitely room for Jeff Shantz.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:32 AM   #1606
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

I don't care about hockey since the Sharks traded Owen Nolan.

But I wanted to test this emoticon and see if it works on this board.
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #1607
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
Nothing earth shattering, but maybe an indication of where we're headed...

Jeff Shantz, former Blackhawk/Flame/Avalanche, will be playing in Switzerland next year after a lack of free agent offers this summer.

He's a serviceable player that could help some team. I mean if there's room in the NHL for Clarke Wilm and Chris Clark, there's definitely room for Jeff Shantz.

A couple Russian players have done the same thing; I can't help wondering if hockey is headed in the direction where soccer is, with a number of leagues around the world competing for the services of top players. I can't imagine there would be too many that could afford this, but I am sure there will be a number of Russian, Swedish, Finnish, and Swiss teams offering nice contracts to some NHL'ers after this upcoming season.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:37 AM   #1608
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
A couple Russian players have done the same thing; I can't help wondering if hockey is headed in the direction where soccer is, with a number of leagues around the world competing for the services of top players. I can't imagine there would be too many that could afford this, but I am sure there will be a number of Russian, Swedish, Finnish, and Swiss teams offering nice contracts to some NHL'ers after this upcoming season.

It's an interesting thought and would be kind of cool to see, but I don't think it will happen. I am no Russian tax expert by any stretch of the imagination, but one of the draw certain Russians go back to play for Russian teams is that they get paid tax free. This is what happened with Bykov. His Russian squad offered him a good deal, tax free, which the Wings weren't willing to match, considering the taxes paid. I don't know if this would be available for non-Russians.

There could be a defection of some top talent if there is a salary cap or, for whatever reasons, salaries are greatly reduced in the NHL. Besides competing in the greatest league with the greatest talent in the world, a big draw for the Euros is the paycheck. The Swedes especially seem to want to go back to Sweden all of the time but are lured back by the almighty dollar.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:30 PM   #1609
Karim
College Starter

What it might mean is a reduction in the number of European middle-of the-road players. The stars will still be here, getting paid star dollars. But instead of Jonas Hoglund, Magnus Arvedson, or [insert favourite European floater here], I'm sure you could find an American or Canadian who could do his job, probably for less money, and be happy to do it. And he wouldn't be shying away from the corners or from in front of the net.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #1610
klayman
College Benchwarmer

bump

Someone explain the leafs gm situation to me. Everybody's upset that they are going to hire John Ferguson Jr, cause he has no experience...Since Quinn was picking the GM, of course he's going to pick somebody with no experience so he can still have control over things. Does the media not think these things out? Are they really that surprised?

I don't know why everybody's getting upset. It's not like the Leafs had a GM for the last 4 years anyway
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #1611
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Does the media not think these things out?
Sure they do.
Quote:
Are they really that surprised?
Who says they're surprised? If the Leafs had went out and got a guy like Neil Smith, or even a younger guy with any sort of power in the organization at all, then the media (and fans) would be surprised.

Frustrated? Yes. Angry? Sure. Surprised? No.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:44 PM   #1612
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
What exactly is wrong with John Ferguson Jr anyways?
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:51 PM   #1613
Franklinnoble
Banned

Man, you hockey people are whacked... this is like a thread-killer thread... except with relevant posts and stuff...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:53 PM   #1614
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Sure they do.Who says they're surprised? If the Leafs had went out and got a guy like Neil Smith, or even a younger guy with any sort of power in the organization at all, then the media (and fans) would be surprised.

Frustrated? Yes. Angry? Sure. Surprised? No.

So what, the media is upset cause they won't be able to play the "who's going to get fired first game?" with Quinn and Smith?

I tend to avoid Toronto converage as much as I can (yes, I'm biased against them), but I don't recall anybody asking for Quinn's head. And that's why I'm confused by the media's reaction. In essence, nothing has changed, Quinn is still in charge. Who cares that the new GM will be a nobody? Unless of course they wanted him out and I just missed it. I must confess that I didn't really pay attention to much of the resuffling coverage.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:09 PM   #1615
Karim
College Starter

How long is Quinn's contract? I'm thinking if Pettie & Dryden could have gotten out from under that thing, it would have been done already.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:55 PM   #1616
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Modano signed a one year extension today. Did anyone happen to catch the amount?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:14 PM   #1617
bbor
Pro Starter

Quinns contract runs another 2 years.

JFJ is being hired to "appease" Quinn...it's not Quinns choice"Tambelini"and it's not Drydens choice "Smith".

It was basically a compromise,and this i think is where the fans and medias anger comes from....they don't want a compromise..they want the best available candidate,and in most peoples minds eye it is not JFJ.

Old 08-28-2003, 01:07 AM   #1618
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Modano signed a one year extension today. Did anyone happen to catch the amount?

9.5 mil...ouch...for 28 goals?

hmmm....

Old 08-28-2003, 08:33 AM   #1619
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I tend to avoid Toronto converage as much as I can (yes, I'm biased against them), but I don't recall anybody asking for Quinn's head. And that's why I'm confused by the media's reaction. In essence, nothing has changed, Quinn is still in charge. Who cares that the new GM will be a nobody? Unless of course they wanted him out and I just missed it. I must confess that I didn't really pay attention to much of the resuffling coverage.
The media have been calling for Quinn to give up the dual title for some time now, and at least one major columnist wrote yesterday that any respectable GM would make their first order of business the firing of Quinn as coach.

By the way, if you don't like the Leafs, you should definetely be reading Toronto sports coverage. They're not shy about ripping the team. In some cities, the media acts as an unofficial PR wing for the team (cough, Ottawa), but not in T.O.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #1620
klayman
College Benchwarmer

No, it's the Toronto media I don't like. If they have wanted Quinn to leave for some time, then I understand why they're upset. I didn't know that, I just thought they were being babies about the whole thing.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:34 PM   #1621
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

JFJ is being hired to "appease" Quinn...it's not Quinns choice"Tambelini"and it's not Drydens choice "Smith".

Actually, from what I've read, Ferguson was hired because they felt the other choices were too close to Quinn, which isn't what they wanted.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #1622
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisj
Actually, from what I've read, Ferguson was hired because they felt the other choices were too close to Quinn, which isn't what they wanted.

Too close to being like Quinn, or too close to him personally?

I guess it doesn't really matter who they hire. They'll fire both of them when the leafs bomb out of the playoffs again, and a couple of months later the NHL will close up shop forever.

Always the eternal optomist.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:47 AM   #1623
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Rangers went out and signed Rucinsky and Jan Hlavac, both for their second tour of duty with the blue shirts. I think this signals the end (at least for this season) of the Russian Rocket. It will be official if they sign Berezin, who, I guess, would be a naked, starving, destitute-man's Pavel Bure.

Now the Rangers have Lindros, Kovalev, Carter, Rucinsky, Nedved, Hlavac. That's nice. No one will play defense. Greg DeVries is not the answer. It will be a long, long year for the Dunham/Blackburn combo. They should trade for Joseph, he's accustomed to playing behind teams with no defense. He would be a good fit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 AM   #1624
klayman
College Benchwarmer

But Glen Sather is coaching them, he can do anything.

*sarcasm lock off*
Old 08-29-2003, 11:35 AM   #1625
bbor
Pro Starter

JFJ was announced as the new Leaf GM

The king is dead...long live the king

Dryden(yawn) is on (Yawn)radio(yawn)tal(yawn)king ab(ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)out it (yawn) now...Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....:Snore:

Old 08-29-2003, 11:44 AM   #1626
Karim
College Starter

But Dryden's a lawyer and smarter than us all!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:39 PM   #1627
bbor
Pro Starter

Captain Kirk Retires...Kirk Muller...19 years in the NHL....Now what is Dallas gonna do for an over 35 checking forward??

Ken Klee..may or may not be close to signing with the Leafs...depending on who you listen too.

Bryan Mccabe is out for at least a month with torn Miniscus in his knee.

Felix Potvin signs a one year deal with the Bruins.One more team out of the Cuju hunt...looks like it's the Blues or bust?

Old 09-04-2003, 10:04 AM   #1628
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

bbor,

Rumor has it that the Stars are courting Nieuwendyk again. Not really a checking forward, but he is definately over 35.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:52 AM   #1629
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

CuJo and his stupid ankle. So, who's left? Blues? Rangers? I reckon it will go the way I always thought this one would go... Right down the waiver wire (see: Osgood). This and Yzerman is pulling a Lemieux and isn't planning to play in back-to-back games this year. This does not bode well for the Wings' tenuous forward situation.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #1630
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

If I recall there was some talk about Sidney Crosby a while ago... anyways, for anyone interested, Sidney scored 4 goals and had 4 assists in an exhibition game for Rimouski the other night. Apparently the team then decided to give him a few days off before the QMJHL regular season starts to make sure he's ready.

Box score of the game: http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=342374&id_partie=713
Old 09-04-2003, 03:33 PM   #1631
bbor
Pro Starter

Svehla finally retires.."Officially"

Now the Leafs will spend the 4 mil they saved there that they said they could'nt spend before on...................................................................................................................................is there anyone left?

Old 09-04-2003, 04:21 PM   #1632
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Who is left... hmm... Ken Klee? Bryan Berard? Dmitri Yushkevich? No impact defensemen... but they'd help out, that's for sure.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:11 AM   #1633
Karim
College Starter

I didn't follow it closely, but wasn't Crosby a disappointment in the Under-18s? It was the first time ever Canada didn't win Gold.

I'm waiting to see if he can dominate the World Juniors like Gretsky did.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 AM   #1634
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

None of the three mentioned above, Berard, Yushkevich, or Klee are better than Shvela. But they are all serviceable and at least they wont retire every year and leave the team in the lurch. If I were the Leafs I'd look at two of the three. Their defense is still poop. They need help.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #1635
bbor
Pro Starter

Klee i can see in a Leaf uni...The other 2 both had run ins with King Pat...so i doubt they will be pulling on a Leaf sweater any time soon.

We NEED to get this thread 10 000 views before the next season starts

Old 09-05-2003, 12:24 PM   #1636
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I didn't follow it closely, but wasn't Crosby a disappointment in the Under-18s? It was the first time ever Canada didn't win Gold.

I'm waiting to see if he can dominate the World Juniors like Gretsky did.

I wouldn't say he was a disappointment. He was the youngest player there and he had 4 goals and a couple assists in the first two games. Then teams realized that everyone on team Canada was just relying on Crosby and focused on stopping him... and the rest of the team couldn't pick up the slack afterwards.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #1637
henry296
College Starter

Penguins report to training camp today.

Todd
Old 09-08-2003, 03:20 PM   #1638
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Good bye Dougie Gilmour. 20 long, glorious years. Even if I hated you and Big Dave Andreychuk so very, very mich during the 1993 first round of the Stanley Cup play-offs, you were still fun to watch. Good grit. Good skill. Always a joy.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #1639
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Good bye Dougie Gilmour. 20 long, glorious years. Even if I hated you and Big Dave Andreychuk so very, very mich during the 1993 first round of the Stanley Cup play-offs, you were still fun to watch. Good grit. Good skill. Always a joy.
ESPN Classic Canadian was showing game seven of the Wings/Leafs series this week. Still one of the most entertaining games I've seen.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:31 PM   #1640
Karim
College Starter

GWG and insurance goal on the road in the Forum in the cup winning game for the Flames... Definitely a first ballot HOFer once he's eligible.

Flames start training camp on Friday...
Old 09-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #1641
bbor
Pro Starter

Sad day in Leafland....Goodbye Dougie...thanks for the memmories

Now on to my rant of the day,JFJ says the Leafs don't need Gilmour?What kinda team could use a 20 year Vet who wears his heart on his sleeve?I know Gilly could'nt play more than 10 minutes a game for them.....gbut still...you'd know for those 10 minutes you'd get his all.

JFJ's first move as GM will NOT endeer him to fans.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:57 AM   #1642
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
ESPN Classic Canadian was showing game seven of the Wings/Leafs series this week. Still one of the most entertaining games I've seen.

F'ing Nikolai Borchevsky....
Old 09-09-2003, 06:55 AM   #1643
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, of all the stations on the digital tier I would love to have, ESPN Classic is probably atop the list. (Un)fortunately, cable is paid for by my apartment complex so adding on the digital tier would cost quite a bit more cash per month than I really want to shell out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #1644
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Man, of all the stations on the digital tier I would love to have, ESPN Classic is probably atop the list. (Un)fortunately, cable is paid for by my apartment complex so adding on the digital tier would cost quite a bit more cash per month than I really want to shell out.
I don't know about the US version, but the Canadian one is pretty weak. You get about one baseball game and one hockey game per week. I've seen some CFL, but not NFL. The rest is all tennis, figure skating (!), boxing and wrestling. I've had it for a few months and I think I'm going to cancel it.

The NHL Network is a much better source for "classic" hockey, although they show way too many games from last year. I want to see Wendel's rookie year, dammit!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #1645
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor

Now on to my rant of the day,JFJ says the Leafs don't need Gilmour?What kinda team could use a 20 year Vet who wears his heart on his sleeve?I know Gilly could'nt play more than 10 minutes a game for them.....gbut still...you'd know for those 10 minutes you'd get his all.

JFJ's first move as GM will NOT endeer him to fans.

Sounds even worse than that. Gilmour didn't want to retire until he was certain his knee couldn't hold up, but Ferguson didn't even want to give him the chance. Even Harold Ballard had more sense than that.

Quote:

Flames start training camp on Friday...

Yup...and one more intra-squad scrimmage loss by either side and they'll be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs
Old 09-10-2003, 02:59 AM   #1646
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings have been participating in prospects tournament with a few other teams: Atalanta, Washington, St. Louis, Minnesota, and one or two others. This used to be one of the highlights of HB's year, heading up to Traverse city with a friend. Watching three games a night for four or five nights, spending the rest of the time drinking, playing play station, watching college/pro football on the weekends. Good times. The 2001 tourney was quite a treat, showcasing Kovalchuk, Heatly, and Datsyuk, among others.

Anyway...

I just saw the Leafs got Nieuwendyk, or however the hell you spell his damned name. A nice pick up. As I've said all along, if you have Roberts and Nieuwendyk, you need Fleury. Sure they were great over 10 years ago, but think if they could rekindle the magic!

Wasn't Quinn worried that if Nieuwendyk was signed Roberts would have too much power in the dressing room? Should be another interesting year for the Leafs.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:18 PM   #1647
bbor
Pro Starter

Only problem is...Newy is'nt a defeneman

That being said...i am excited as a hockey fan to watch Newy play.

Could he still be a 2nd line center?Sundin,Newy,Atropov.Could he still manage that many minutes?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:48 PM   #1648
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Yup...and one more intra-squad scrimmage loss by either side and they'll be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

Old 09-11-2003, 04:44 PM   #1649
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Sorry Karim...Love the city, hate the hockey team

Avs to retire Roy's number

I wonder if the Hab's are thinking about doing that as well
Old 09-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #1650
Karim
College Starter

No problem. Most of the fans in the building are oil execs and their employees who couldn't name five players and the rest are cheering for other teams. Most of the real fans are up top, if they can afford tickets at all.

Training camp starts tomorrow!