Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #1601
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I am not, at all, denying that you have a point, Imran. And your scenario is still the far more likely eventuality. Besides indulging in random speculation, what I think I'm doing is outlining the second-most-likely option at this point, which could become more likely if either a) the show really outstrips the books and/or b) Martin starts worrying about his mortality.

But on the same topic, given how fast the show has gone and how slow the books are to come, isn't it now more-or-less a certainty that they'll catch up in a season or two? This is an honest question, not a sarcastic one. I've read a lot of criticism & analysis, but no one's really laid out when and how they'd run out of written content. Anyone want to take a stab?

Honestly, i think the next season will finish with a spoiler of book 6 unless it's released before then.He has two battles that he pushed from 5 to 6, and HBO is going to want one of them to end next season.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #1602
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Apparently they're casting for a "young Cersei" and thus may be showing, next season, some of the backstory to the current story. Since I can't remember exactly where I got that rumor in my reading, take that as a big grain of salt.

But in other news, there's this from Entertainment Weekly:

Quote:
George R.R. Martin is on board with most of the changes the show has made to the story this season, although he misses the stuff that's been removed:

Quote:
It's been a great season. Though by and large we are seeing more differences from the books and I've been predicting that from the beginning. There's a certain snowball effect of making changes and I think that will continue.

He also believes that the show will not be able to follow the producers' seven-season plan, given how much of the story is left to tell. And to deal with the fact that the show may run out of published material to adapt, Martin advocates capping the series with staggered feature films. This would give him more time and give the big final set pieces a larger budget. Of course, HBO sees itself as primarily a TV company and is on record as not endorsing this option. and Martin himself believes this is unlikely, because movies based on The Sopranos and Deadwood have never materialized.

And finally, Martin's still being firm-but-hedging about whether the series will be finished after book seven:

Quote:
My plan is to finish in seven. But my original plan was to finish in three. I write the stories and they grow. I deal with certain things and sometimes I find myself not at the end of a story. My plan right now is still seven. But first I have to finish Book Six. Get back to me when I'm half-way through Book Seven and then maybe I'll tell you something more meaningful.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #1603
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Apparently they're casting for a "young Cersei" and thus may be showing, next season, some of the backstory to the current story. Since I can't remember exactly where I got that rumor in my reading, take that as a big grain of salt.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/05...-rumored-cast/
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #1604
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, it'd be good to have a young Cersei so they could show the fortune teller telling her that one of her brothers would kill her - I think that while she's been focusing on Tyrion doing it, it'll end up being Jamie.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #1605
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
There is more than enough material for 2 seasons from combining Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons (the people who say nothing happens haven't particularly thought that through - also there are lots of minor storylines they could milk).

Thanks for taking a crack at it, and I think much of your speculation is probably spot on.

One thing that's interesting, however, is the idea of "milking" the minor storylines for extra content while they wait for Martin. You're absolutely right that there's plenty of content there if they do so, but also note that to do their avoidance of many of the minor storylines has, in general, been praised as keeping things more on track / interesting / compelling / etc.... So, say, wallowing around in Mereen politics or spending too much time on Quentyn, etc... could cause the show to lose interest. If they have to go that way, it'll be a tightrope to walk.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #1606
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Honestly, i think the next season will finish with a spoiler of book 6 unless it's released before then.He has two battles that he pushed from 5 to 6, and HBO is going to want one of them to end next season.

You wouldn't need a battle as much as a big shock. I don't think Cersei being thrown in jail by the High Septon would necessarily qualify, but joining it with Aegon still being alive may.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #1607
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Also, if a leaked audition tape for Obara Sand is accurate (but might be false dialogue merely for the audition)

Season 5 and possibly future book spoilers
Spoiler
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #1608
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for taking a crack at it, and I think much of your speculation is probably spot on.

One thing that's interesting, however, is the idea of "milking" the minor storylines for extra content while they wait for Martin. You're absolutely right that there's plenty of content there if they do so, but also note that to do their avoidance of many of the minor storylines has, in general, been praised as keeping things more on track / interesting / compelling / etc.... So, say, wallowing around in Mereen politics or spending too much time on Quentyn, etc... could cause the show to lose interest. If they have to go that way, it'll be a tightrope to walk.

I don't mean THOSE minor storylines . I mean the fun ones - like Tyrion & Penny and the Ser Robert Strong stuff (though I guess Ser Robert Strong could be a major player later on).
Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #1609
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think you're the first person I've heard call the Tyrion/Penny stuff 'fun'.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #1610
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It amused me.

I think people were more about the "let's get on with it" because they thought that Dance would end with the Second Battle of Meereen. In re-reading Dance, it is much more amusing because you realize that Battle will be in Winds.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #1611
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

A Reddit thread Dicussing how S5 will likely look, germane to this discussion. The top two comments by BryndenBFish in particular.

What changes would you make to A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons while adapting them for the show?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #1612
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I think you're the first person I've heard call the Tyrion/Penny stuff 'fun'.

You bringing this up makes me think I need to re-read the series, or at least the last two books. I've read through book three about 6 times, but I've only read book 4 twice, and book five once. I couldn't for the life of me think of who Penny was, then reading her wikki makes me realize I don't remember crap about the last book.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #1613
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The last 3rd of Book 5 was pretty awesome. Unfortunately the first 2/3rds was like Book 1 exposition Hell most of the time.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #1614
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm rereading Feast and then Dance at the moment.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #1615
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
The last 3rd of Book 5 was pretty awesome. Unfortunately the first 2/3rds was like Book 1 exposition Hell most of the time.

I'd agree with this. It definitely started getting better again.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #1616
Thomkal
Head Coach

Want to be a character in the series and killed off in an horrible way? Got $20,000?

George RR Martin Wants To Write You Into Game Of Thrones, Kill You Off

One person at random who donates anything will get the chance to fly (with a friend) to New Mexico to have dinner with GRRM and ask any and all Game of Thrones questions.

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-06-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1617
sabotai
General Manager

Some departures from the book in that last episode, although I did enjoy the Brienne vs. The Hound fight.

I'm on book 5 now (~10% into it) and I'm guessing they jumped deeper into book 5 with Bran's storyline there at the end?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #1618
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Any details for non-HBO watchers?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #1619
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I heard there was no Lady Stoneheart. Leaving it for next season it seems (well it was at the end of A Feast for Crows).
Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #1620
sabotai
General Manager

Nope, no Lady Stoneheart yet.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #1621
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Are they definitely going to do Lady Stoneheart or is there a chance the character will be completely skipped over?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #1622
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I can't imagine that GRRM wrote Lady Stoneheart in the series to have her do nothing important. And since she likely will do something important, they have to have her in the series, right?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #1623
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wasn't Lady Stoneheart at the end of Storm of Swords? Her part at the end of A Feast For Crows was where she and the Brotherhood encountered Brienne if I recall correctly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #1624
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I personally suspect they're not going to do Lady Stoneheart. I think the character is one GRRM created because it was neat, but ended up not having a significant role for in the rest of his roadmap for the story. As in, she'll be a catalyst for certain actions, but not a major player. And if that's the case, there are plenty of other characters being used by the show that could provide that catalyst function.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #1625
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm suspecting the same, though they left it at a point where it'd be easy for Brienne to encounter her at the start of next season.

RIP Hound and Ayra Show. You were fun, though I'm ready for some House of Black and White.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #1626
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My thoughts on the last few weeks:

-Hound vs. Brienne was fun. Gives Brienne more of a badass vibe, which is why I suppose they made the change.

-Don't like what they changed with Sansa's story personally. I guess they're just trying to simplify it for viewers and all, but eh. She was looking very fetching in that dress backlit by the light though. And it definitely enables them to go faster on skeezy-Littlefinger I guess.

-I liked that we got basically a full episode at the Wall (or so it felt like). Appropriate gravitas.

-Byebye Tywin.

-Dragons!!

-Ummm - Children of the Forest & Bloodraven!! Fuck yeah!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-16-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #1627
bronconick
College Starter

If Varys stays on the boat, I wonder if they're cutting that (clunky to me) revelation at the epilogue of book 5.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #1628
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Given his love for writing about boat travel, clearly Martin just used his influence to make the showmakers put even MORE people on boats.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1629
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Varys will just come back at some point. Besides, that scene is one of my favorite scenes in the enter books - it better not be cut!!

Anyways, my fears with the 9th episode and moving Stannis's salvation of the Night's Watch to the 10th episode are realized. Stannis's heroism gets lost in the Tywin dying, Arya leaving plots. Oh well. In the books, Stannis is an unyielding legalistic, but generally respectable guy. In the series, he seems like a villain.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #1630
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Varys will just come back at some point. Besides, that scene is one of my favorite scenes in the enter books - it better not be cut!!

Anyways, my fears with the 9th episode and moving Stannis's salvation of the Night's Watch to the 10th episode are realized. Stannis's heroism gets lost in the Tywin dying, Arya leaving plots. Oh well. In the books, Stannis is an unyielding legalistic, but generally respectable guy. In the series, he seems like a villain.

Yeah, the way Stannis arrived after Mance had offered peace really changed the character of Stannis' attack. His army slaughtered some free folk rather than saved the realm.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #1631
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, the way Stannis arrived after Mance had offered peace really changed the character of Stannis' attack. His army slaughtered some free folk rather than saved the realm.

Good point.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #1632
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

I wonder if the portrayal of Stannis is because they know where this is headed; shading him appropriately for the heel turn? Though this would be complicated by the Battle of Winterfell I would think.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #1633
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
I wonder if the portrayal of Stannis is because they know where this is headed; shading him appropriately for the heel turn? Though this would be complicated by the Battle of Winterfell I would think.

True. Stannis vs. the Boltons... the way the show has Stannis portrayed now, a lot of the unsullied may just want both of them to die and thus not care. Perhaps Stannis does do something horrid in the end game and that view is shading his character now, but until then, you are just going to make viewers not care about what is going on up North.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #1634
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
...Oh well. In the books, Stannis is an unyielding legalistic, but generally respectable guy. In the series, he seems like a villain.

Do people just want to overlook the fact that he willfully slept with Melisandre and kept his wife around? He's kind of a dick, and not really all that great a ruler. He has a self imposed legalistic/moralistic code, but he ignores it when it suits him. He's personally overseen people who were loyal to him burned alive.

When you're trying to pick between the different rulers still alive in Westeros sure, he's not bad. But that's like saying that the guy who shoved grandma down the stairs for her welfare check is a pretty cool guy when you're looking at the inmates of San Quentin.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #1635
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
True. Stannis vs. the Boltons... the way the show has Stannis portrayed now, a lot of the unsullied may just want both of them to die and thus not care. Perhaps Stannis does do something horrid in the end game and that view is shading his character now, but until then, you are just going to make viewers not care about what is going on up North.

I'll bet they solve that problem (at least temporarily, so that Stannis-vs-Boltons isn't a case of "we hate them both, who cares") by playing up Stannis' support for Jon Snow as much as humanly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Do people just want to overlook the fact that he willfully slept with Melisandre and kept his wife around? He's kind of a dick, and not really all that great a ruler. He has a self imposed legalistic/moralistic code, but he ignores it when it suits him. He's personally overseen people who were loyal to him burned alive.

Yeah, it was probably Renly who would have made the best king, as he understood the whole point of winning the people's trust/support as a key element of "kinging". Made him a good complement to Margaery (or vice versa) and it was a good bit of writing by GRRM to overturn that particular trope by killing him.

Edit: It may be overlooked (I don't know), but two of Renly's scenes served as great foils to point out how bad most of the leaders are. First his outburst at Robert about why war sucks, while they were hunting, and the later his 1:1 meeting with Stannis trying to explain to him why he'll be such a bad king (just before getting killed).

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #1636
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Commentary / speculation from a book reader on another board I frequent. I agree with much of this, though I still suspect Lady Stoneheart may not be in the show:

Spoiler
Old 06-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #1637
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Do people just want to overlook the fact that he willfully slept with Melisandre and kept his wife around?

On the advice of his wife, mind. Selyse was the R'hillor devotee who converted her husband.

Quote:
He's kind of a dick, and not really all that great a ruler. He has a self imposed legalistic/moralistic code, but he ignores it when it suits him. He's personally overseen people who were loyal to him burned alive.

How do we know he isn't that great of a ruler? After all, Storm's End held out for a year of siege under him. He seems to inspire great loyalty in those under his command (it doesn't hurt that he is the best battle commander in Westeros).

Quote:
When you're trying to pick between the different rulers still alive in Westeros sure, he's not bad. But that's like saying that the guy who shoved grandma down the stairs for her welfare check is a pretty cool guy when you're looking at the inmates of San Quentin.

Personally, I root for Stannis. The guy is concerned with doing his duty and saving the realm from the Lannister scum - and Ned Stark trusted him (yes, I know that's not all that hard to do, but still).
Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #1638
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, it was probably Renly who would have made the best king, as he understood the whole point of winning the people's trust/support as a key element of "kinging".

Though I refer you to the quote about Renly made by Cressen (prologue of Clash of Kings):
"The youngest of Lord Steffon's three sons had grown into a man bold but heedless, who acted from impulse rather than calculation. In that, as in so much else, Renly was like his brother Robert, and utterly unlike Stannis."

Robert was a favorite of the people as well.

And Donal Noye's words (in A Game of Thrones to Jon):
"Robert was the true steel. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He’ll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he’s copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day"

And this hilarious quote from Olenya Redwine (in Storm of Swords about Renly):
"He knew how to dress and he knew how to smile and he knew how to bathe, and somehow he got the notion that this made him fit to be king."

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #1639
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, absolutely, Imran. "Better king than either Stannis or Robert" probably isn't a high bar anyway.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #1640
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But I think in the vast majority of Westeros, Renly and Robert were seen as much worse potential kings than Stannis.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #1641
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Really?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #1642
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But I think in the vast majority of Westeros, Renly and Robert were seen as much worse potential kings than Stannis.

I got the exact opposite impression from the books.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #1643
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really?

Yes really. Robert and Renly are charismatic and flashy and liked by the peasants, but the Lords know they are empty suits. (maybe I should have been clearer on that distinction)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-16-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #1644
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Oh, by "vast majority of Westeros" I assumed you were saying everyone.

But, even having said that, I'd tend to assume most lords would want someone somewhat able to be influenced like Renly and Robert as opposed to the completely-unbending Stannis.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #1645
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, you got an 'influenced' King in Robert and look what happened? The realm is up to its eyeballs in debt - while someone as smart as Littlefinger is Master of Coin.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-16-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #1646
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

But you're making the case that other Westerosi lords would want a strong, unyielding king. Given the proclivities of those Westerosi lords, that seems unlikely.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #1647
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anyways, I think it is not doubted that book readers tend to be more pro-Stannis than show watchers.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #1648
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But you're making the case that other Westerosi lords would want a strong, unyielding king. Given the proclivities of those Westerosi lords, that seems unlikely.

A strong, unyielding king over a chaotic spendthrift king? I'd say so. Even if they lords are jockeying for position, having some sort of order is preferred.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #1649
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Anyways, I think it is not doubted that book readers tend to be more pro-Stannis than show watchers.

I'd agree with this.

Quote:
A strong, unyielding king over a chaotic spendthrift king? I'd say so. Even if they lords are jockeying for position, having some sort of order is preferred.

But the period following Robert's Rebellion is generally regarded as a Pax Baratheon is it not?

I mean, I see your point, I'm just not sure I agree.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #1650
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Question: Did Jojen Reed's eyes flash blue just before he was incinerated? If so, why would he become a White Walker instead of just a Wight? Was that another Clue about the Others?