Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #1601
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Ummm, yeah, I would move white a whole hell of a lot closer to checkmate which would end the game for me if I was a wolf with a loss.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #1602
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Ummm, yeah, I would move white a whole hell of a lot closer to checkmate which would end the game for me if I was a wolf with a loss.

Yeah, if you'd let that actually happen.

I'm contending you wouldn't.

But that's neither here nor there, whether you're a wolf or not, I don't think it's in the villages best interest to let you or really anyone try and engineer the vote.

I mean WW is all about deceit basically right? Why telegraph our move like that? It'd be like trusting a friggin wolf. I know I"m not taking that chance.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #1603
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
No no no there Brad.

Sorry, I think you're looking REALLY suspicious following this line. If RendeR is a villager and you're a wolf you'd get quite the haul with this move, now wouldn't you?

By the way, not sure if you realized it, but as of now, RendeR is getting voted off anyway. So who is the suspicious looking one? Hell, I'm not even on RendeR right now, from the Chess game standpoint I'm where I feel that white can benefit the most and, I don't know, win.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #1604
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, if you'd let that actually happen.

I'm contending you wouldn't.

But that's neither here nor there, whether you're a wolf or not, I don't think it's in the villages best interest to let you or really anyone try and engineer the vote.

I mean WW is all about deceit basically right? Why telegraph our move like that? It'd be like trusting a friggin wolf. I know I"m not taking that chance.

That's exactly what I'm daring us to do, MAKE somebody come out with a wolf move so we can pin the last remaining wolf (assuming there are four). IF we do dare them, the only play they can make would be to vote off either RendeR or Olie which is the position we're in now, but hey, to each their own. I figured two enemies (assuming RendeR is a wolf, although it doesn't matter as of now because it looks like he's going) were better than one, especially when "losing" this gamble still meant one of them got voted off. But hey, I'm cool with this too. I'm staying put and putting white's best interests ahead of the wolves' best interests (voting off a white piece), at least of these two choices.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #1605
RendeR
Coordinator

The only way we vote off a wolf today is if we vote off Jackal. If you lynch me you waste a white piece.

White should still win, but it will be harder, and if mccollins turns out furry, white and black are both fucked.

I don't think Olie is a wolf, but if we're not worried about voting off wolves then we have to vote off Olie.

If we wants a wolf, we have to vote Jackal.

I can't say it any clearer. Voting for me wastes a lynch entirely.

If enough people move to the point that my vote matters today I'l shift it, otherwise I might as well stick to my guns.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #1606
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

RendeR - I asked this awhile ago, why haven't you moved at all?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #1607
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Do you mean his vote or on the board?! I hadn't noticed that he hadn't moved on the board.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #1608
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
By the way, not sure if you realized it, but as of now, RendeR is getting voted off anyway. So who is the suspicious looking one? Hell, I'm not even on RendeR right now, from the Chess game standpoint I'm where I feel that white can benefit the most and, I don't know, win.

I agree, I'm on olie as well

I just don't see why then we're letting the wolves possibly get to pick their poison, likely to their benefit
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #1609
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I see your last point, but I figured since we seem torn on one or the other that even if they "pick their poison", it still is one of the top two candidates and puts them in a tough position: sacrifice one of their own or get rid of the last non-king black piece. But I will digress in that their could be an advantage in allowing them to make that choice. I just figured it might also out them by making that move though.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #1610
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Do you mean his vote or on the board?! I hadn't noticed that he hadn't moved on the board.

On the board. From where I am I can still see back there and he is still in starting position. He hasn't moved yet, I've been in range of that spot I think every turn (I'd have to double check, but memory serves that he hasn't moved).
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #1611
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I see your last point, but I figured since we seem torn on one or the other that even if they "pick their poison", it still is one of the top two candidates and puts them in a tough position: sacrifice one of their own or get rid of the last non-king black piece. But I will digress in that there could be an advantage in allowing them to make that choice. I just figured it might also out them by making that move though.

grammar error
Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #1612
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On the board. From where I am I can still see back there and he is still in starting position. He hasn't moved yet, I've been in range of that spot I think every turn (I'd have to double check, but memory serves that he hasn't moved).

Alright, that is odd.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #1613
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I see your last point, but I figured since we seem torn on one or the other that even if they "pick their poison", it still is one of the top two candidates and puts them in a tough position: sacrifice one of their own or get rid of the last non-king black piece. But I will digress in that their could be an advantage in allowing them to make that choice. I just figured it might also out them by making that move though.

I think your intentions *may* be good, but I think it just is too risky. Slow and steady wins this race, IMO.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #1614
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

because I only know a small portion of the board (piece positions)

I am waiting for everyone to say "ok let's mate the king" and figure out where we need to be so I can assist. Telle me where you want me to be and I'll move there. Otherwise I'll stay where I am and watch out for people trying to take me off the board (which won't hapen now that Olie is the onl black piece that is left that can threaten us)

I've made no bones about the fact that I've stayed put with the intent of mating the king since my movement bloks multiple spaces for him to escape to.

Prolem is everyone is still squabling over wolves and the wolves have ledthat charge (Jackal) to keep us from getting this game won. we've been hashing it over for days now, lets not waste another day, lets either lynch olie and end the threat from black altogether or lych Jackal and leave only 1 wolf able to do much of anything *aka nothing* while we plot the moves we need to make to end this in a white victory.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #1615
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
because I only know a small portion of the board (piece positions)

I am waiting for everyone to say "ok let's mate the king" and figure out where we need to be so I can assist. Telle me where you want me to be and I'll move there. Otherwise I'll stay where I am and watch out for people trying to take me off the board (which won't hapen now that Olie is the onl black piece that is left that can threaten us)

I've made no bones about the fact that I've stayed put with the intent of mating the king since my movement bloks multiple spaces for him to escape to.

Prolem is everyone is still squabling over wolves and the wolves have ledthat charge (Jackal) to keep us from getting this game won. we've been hashing it over for days now, lets not waste another day, lets either lynch olie and end the threat from black altogether or lych Jackal and leave only 1 wolf able to do much of anything *aka nothing* while we plot the moves we need to make to end this in a white victory.

But you aren't even defending OUR king. That's my big problem. You're farther back from the black end than even he is. I mean don't you think it would be smart to at least get yourself in position for our attack?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #1616
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I really wish these posts counted. But hey, at least I got out of noob status finally, even if mascot might be only a slight promotion.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #1617
mccollins
College Prospect

PB, I think Jackal is the only one who can help facilitate that idea. I was wondering if it would work as well, but it would be hard to pull off.
mccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #1618
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But you aren't even defending OUR king. That's my big problem. You're farther back from the black end than even he is. I mean don't you think it would be smart to at least get yourself in position for our attack?

Speaking of our attack, aren't we basically going to have to box in their king in order to take him or get lucky and guess where he moves to since we won't actually "see" him? Is the attack going to be a literal shot in the dark? Just curious because I'm trying to figure out how this will work.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #1619
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollins View Post
PB, I think Jackal is the only one who can help facilitate that idea. I was wondering if it would work as well, but it would be hard to pull off.

If you remember a couple days back when cronin went on his "lets eliminate black ruthlessly" push, I suggested to him that we try and lynch both a wolf and a black player, so I was considering that plan, but I think the wolves can still mess with it too easily.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #1620
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, it would take Jackal, you, and me basically plus RendeR getting off Jackal and trying to take Oliegirl with him. But it sounds like siding with me on this could be a toxic decision so I don't know if Jackal, your, or RendeR (basically a self-sacrifice) would even be up for it.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #1621
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Speaking of our attack, aren't we basically going to have to box in their king in order to take him or get lucky and guess where he moves to since we won't actually "see" him? Is the attack going to be a literal shot in the dark? Just curious because I'm trying to figure out how this will work.

Well, if all goes according to plan we should have people who can see him soon.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #1622
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I really wish these posts counted. But hey, at least I got out of noob status finally, even if mascot might be only a slight promotion.

Especially since you have more posts in this thread than in the non-WW parts of the forum.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #1623
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, if all goes according to plan we should have people who can see him soon.

The pawns can see him now, the problem is that we can only see him at the end of a turn and if he moves at the beginning of the next turn, we've got to guess where he's gone. That's the thing, unless we box him in, it's almost like dart throwing. There's nothing we can really do about it, just thinking ahead.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #1624
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Especially since you have more posts in this thread than in the non-WW parts of the forum.

Yeah, I'm apparently testing the theory that he who posts the most, dies next.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #1625
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The pawns can see him now, the problem is that we can only see him at the end of a turn and if he moves at the beginning of the next turn, we've got to guess where he's gone. That's the thing, unless we box him in, it's almost like dart throwing. There's nothing we can really do about it, just thinking ahead.

True, you guys can see him now. I think you'll find it'll be easier than throwing darts for us though.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #1626
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

That works, I was just curious. Out of curiousity, because I'm learning chess along with this game. I understand the most powerful chess pieces. What are the most powerful pieces this game?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #1627
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

In other words, and I'm clueless here, can my pawn take out a black piece?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #1628
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That works, I was just curious. Out of curiousity, because I'm learning chess along with this game. I understand the most powerful chess pieces. What are the most powerful pieces this game?

Well, for us to get Neon, it's a Queen. Failing that though, us rooks are nice.

As far as the game and voting though, I"d say pawns since you guys vote(d) as a 4-vote block.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #1629
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
In other words, and I'm clueless here, can my pawn take out a black piece?

Yeah, but it's hard/unlikely.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #1630
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, pawns are basically fodder in a regular chess game, correct?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #1631
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm getting ready to switch classes, be back momentarily (HOPEFULLY!).
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #1632
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, pawns are basically fodder in a regular chess game, correct?

Wait, so your partner didn't help clue you in on how to take black pieces? Or just had you taking pawns?

You can take ANY piece man. Granted it has to line up right for you, that's the hard part, but yeah man, if Olie is diagonally in front of you, TAKE HER. I don't think she is though.

I'm curious why your partner wouldn't fill you in on that.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #1633
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

The Queen. Which White killed out of greediness.

We could have kept on voting no lynch, let the wolves flounder to try and keep up with the chess game using their one player per night kills... but no, everyone wanted to play werewolf and start killing everyone off to help the wolves.

Those who didn't want the no lynch vote from the start of the game either didn't understand the rules and winning conditions for the chess pieces or were wolves.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #1634
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I never got the opportunity to take anything. The one day I could've was the day that Qwikshot and I truced up with each other.

My partner has been very thorough with info, it never dawned on me that, for instance, as a pawn I *could* take a King for instance.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #1635
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The Queen. Which White killed out of greediness.

We could have kept on voting no lynch, let the wolves flounder to try and keep up with the chess game using their one player per night kills... but no, everyone wanted to play werewolf and start killing everyone off to help the wolves.

Those who didn't want the no lynch vote from the start of the game either didn't understand the rules and winning conditions for the chess pieces or were wolves.

No offense Neon, but given where we stand now, can you blame us? I expect we'll mate you soon here. Or I'd hope we do. You can't really hold taking that opportunity against us, especially since you were the one who told us CR was the Black Queen.

If it was opposite and NTN mentioned path was the white queen, would you be all that dismayed/surprised if your black bretheren had done the same, even if you didn't?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #1636
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I never got the opportunity to take anything. The one day I could've was the day that Qwikshot and I truced up with each other.

My partner has been very thorough with info, it never dawned on me that, for instance, as a pawn I *could* take a King for instance.

I have to admit it sticks in my craw for now, but ATM I trust your partner. I just wonder as someone who I know plays chess why he wouldn't tell you that.

But that's not for today's discussion, I feel it's just my pure paranoia
Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #1637
mccollins
College Prospect

Good rook(s): Hook me up with a bodyguard if you can!
Knowing the type of Rook bodyguards (over the board vs. protect from wolves), I think Narcizo is my only hope.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #1638
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
No offense Neon, but given where we stand now, can you blame us? I expect we'll mate you soon here. Or I'd hope we do. You can't really hold taking that opportunity against us, especially since you were the one who told us CR was the Black Queen.

If it was opposite and NTN mentioned path was the white queen, would you be all that dismayed/surprised if your black bretheren had done the same, even if you didn't?

HAHAHAHA.

You will lose.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #1639
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Good rook(s): Hook me up with a bodyguard if you can!
Knowing the type of Rook bodyguards (over the board vs. protect from wolves), I think Narcizo is my only hope.

Yeah, I don't think I'm of any use to you.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #1640
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
HAHAHAHA.

You will lose.

Nice non-denial.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #1641
mccollins
College Prospect

Quote:
I feel it's just my pure paranoia

It is
He knew we can take pieces because I had the opportunity to take a black knight-seer early in the game and he strongly encouraged me to do so.

I think the confusion was whether pawns can take a King because in real chess, they don't usually get the opportunity since the King isn't usually "taken" but instead is checkmated.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #1642
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nice non-denial.

Just remember, White called my bluff. White will lose.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #1643
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It is
He knew we can take pieces because I had the opportunity to take a black knight-seer early in the game and he strongly encouraged me to do so.

I think the confusion was whether pawns can take a King because in real chess, they don't usually get the opportunity since the King isn't usually "taken" but instead is checkmated.

True. A pawn kill of anything but a pawn is pretty rare (or a gigantic mistake on the killed person's behalf! )
Old 05-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #1644
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Just remember, White called my bluff. White will lose.

Then there must be something to this game that I'm just not understanding/knowing.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #1645
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

What's the difference between taking the king and checkmating? I guess this is where my confusion lies. Although Heinz, I was really after a different kind of information here. Now that we're past deadline, I was trying to get advice on what to become IF my pawns reach the end of the board.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #1646
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Corrections, please:

Quote:
The Jackal -- RendeR (1498)
RendeR -- The Jackal (1502), Neon_Chaos (1568), mccollins (1583), oliegirl (1587)
oliegirl -- PurdueBrad (1533), ntndeacon (1536), Narcizo (1561), jeheinz72 (1574)
Narcizo --
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #1647
mccollins
College Prospect

I guess that's deadline.

Jackal if you had switched to oliegirl we would have lynched them both.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #1648
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What's the difference between taking the king and checkmating? I guess this is where my confusion lies. Although Heinz, I was really after a different kind of information here. Now that we're past deadline, I was trying to get advice on what to become IF my pawns reach the end of the board.

I know you were, that was the advice I was giving.

I'm hoping you wisely chose to get Queened
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #1649
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Darn Flyers fan!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #1650
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Then there must be something to this game that I'm just not understanding/knowing.