Thomkal
Head Coach

10,000 'Scrotum Frogs' Die Mysteriously in Lake Titicaca
Old 10-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #16302
Thomkal
Head Coach

The mystery of the Bermuda Triangle might finally be solved:

The mystery of the Bermuda Triangle may finally be solved | New York Post

Do we have to call it the Bermuda Hexagonal now? And I can't believe they didn't find aliens had caused it.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #16303
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I guess you can't unit stack in Bermuda Triangle hexagons.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #16304
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I guess you can't unit stack in Bermuda Triangle hexagons.

Not unless you want to lose the whole stack
Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #16305
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not sure if this is anything that is well known in the US but today is the 50th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster. 150 dead including 114 children in their primary school classrooms. An absolutely devastating and defining moment for the history of the South Wales valleys

Aberfan 50 years on: A tragedy we will always remember, told by the people who will never forget - Wales Online
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #16306
molson
General Manager

I've never watched a single Harry Potter movie, or read a Harry Potter book, until the last 6 days, when I watched all of them thanks my enthusiastic girlfriend and the local IMAX theater playing all of the movies the last week or so to promote the spin-off. (It was some national promotion through IMAX theaters - my local Edwards theater always participates in stuff like that - they had a Back to the Future marathon a while ago, ran a 1-day Star Wars marathon running up to TFA, and have some Kirk Cameron live event soon about the future of the church).

It was a very unique way to take all of that in for the first time, and I loved it. Shit got darker than I expected. I'm all into Harry Potter movie trivia and random tidbits right now, and am reading a lot of 6+ year old posts and articles. FOFC seemed to mostly hate the movies because they weren't exactly like the books. I mean, I loved the movies, but I think they were all plenty long already.

Last edited by molson : 10-21-2016 at 07:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #16307
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Not sure if this is anything that is well known in the US but today is the 50th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster. 150 dead including 114 children in their primary school classrooms. An absolutely devastating and defining moment for the history of the South Wales valleys

Aberfan 50 years on: A tragedy we will always remember, told by the people who will never forget - Wales Online

Remember reading out it when I visited Wales a few years ago. Horrible tragedy.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #16308
Easy Mac

You know your parents are getting old when you ask your dad what he wants for his birthday and he says"cotton gym shorts." You know, the kind men wore while playing racquetball 35 years ago.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #16309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is assclown gender specific or gender neutral?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #16310
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
You know your parents are getting old when you ask your dad what he wants for his birthday and he says"cotton gym shorts." You know, the kind men wore while playing racquetball 35 years ago.

Or, "medium shirt" - when a medium hugs every follicle on his body.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #16311
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is assclown gender specific or gender neutral?

A quick look on urban dict seems to indicate it is towards the male. All references in quotes are he/sir and speaks about a male.

In looking for similar terms for women I did find a reference to he/she but even that article then went straight back to 'he' and 'mr.'

That's all I got.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #16312
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Heaven forbid Jon commits an unintended microagression...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #16313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Heaven forbid Jon commits an unintended microagression...

Well, I wasn't concerned with who might be offended (shocking, I know).

I just hated the thought of misusing the term.

FTR, I erred on the side of caution and used a different term but it really was the one that felt most apt, gender aside.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #16314
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Just learned that Greg Evigan, the lead on BJ and the Bear, was the other dad on My Two Dads.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:54 AM   #16315
Suicane75
Coordinator

Somethings been bothering me for 35 years and I think I need to finally get it off my chest. What the fuck did Kevin Dobson do between Kojack and Knots Landing that caused him to grow a head of hair? Seriously. I need to know.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:09 AM   #16316
Suicane75
Coordinator

Joan Van Ark was much prettier than I ever gave her credit for.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:29 AM   #16317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Somethings been bothering me for 35 years and I think I need to finally get it off my chest. What the fuck did Kevin Dobson do between Kojack and Knots Landing that caused him to grow a head of hair? Seriously. I need to know.

At some point he started wearing a classic hairpiece. Not sure when though.
(It's frequently discussed if you Google)
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 AM   #16318
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had not looked at this. Now I have. And now I too wish to know. It will haunt me the rest of my days.

Damn you, Suicane. Damn you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 AM   #16319
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Our savior!!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #16320
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

10 days into having upper dentures and the best/strangest side effect so far is that my sense of taste seems to have improved significantly.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #16321
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Just learned that Greg Evigan, the lead on BJ and the Bear, was the other dad on My Two Dads.

I remember that for some reason, the Washington Post hated this show, to the point that their weekly Nielsen ratings report continually listed the name of the show as "My Two Duds". I don't mean that Tom Shales snarked on the name in his column; I mean that they called the show that in the agate type on the TV listings page. I can't recall them doing that for any other show.

EDIT: It looks like it may have been the work of John Carmody, who did snark on that in an October 1987 column. Apparently, the name stuck.

Last edited by Shkspr : 10-30-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #16322
cuervo72
Head Coach

/goes to check for possible references to "My Three Sobs."
Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #16323
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

I assumed that's what happened, but if true, it was both a great hairpiece, and impressive that he still sports it (or a white version), some 20 years later.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #16324
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I had not looked at this. Now I have. And now I too wish to know. It will haunt me the rest of my days.

Damn you, Suicane. Damn you.

I started watching reruns of Kojack after I had been watching Knots Landing, and I did not believe it was the same person. To this day I'm not sure it's not a Paul McCartney situation where the real Kevin Dobson died in 1977 or something.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:35 PM   #16325
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
10 days into having upper dentures and the best/strangest side effect so far is that my sense of taste seems to have improved significantly.

But does everything taste like dentures?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #16326
Thomkal
Head Coach

Scientists discover a lake under the sea: Those who swim there never come back alive | IFLScience
Old 10-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #16327
cuervo72
Head Coach

So, Goo Lagoon?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #16328
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I obviously have been living under a rock and never had heard term or controversy of 'Mary Sue' (in movies and literature). I came across this while reading the imdb forum for The Force Awakens.

So the definition is a young (presumably ordinary) person who ends up doing heroic things and saving the world. Apparently the term originates with a 1970s Star Trek fan fiction but isn't this concept much more older than that? I mean, does Peter Parker count? And more recently, what about Katniss? So why all the controversy with Rey?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #16329
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
So the definition is a young (presumably ordinary) person who ends up doing heroic things and saving the world.

No, the definition of a "Mary Sue" character is a character who is an idealized version of the author. Basically, the writer creates a character who is all of their good traits and minus their bad traits. A character that represents who they wish they were. Which means they end up writing a perfect character with no negative traits whatsoever.

Nowadays, I do see the term used to describe a character that is simply "too perfect", though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #16330
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
No, the definition of a "Mary Sue" character is a character who is an idealized version of the author. Basically, the writer creates a character who is all of their good traits and minus their bad traits. A character that represents who they wish they were. Which means they end up writing a perfect character with no negative traits whatsoever.

Nowadays, I do see the term used to describe a character that is simply "too perfect", though.

Thank you for your explanation. So the difference between a heroic character (Harry Potter) and a mary sue (Hermoine Granger) would be the degree of flawlessness?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #16331
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mary Sue is somewhat misogynistic though, as, while there has been attempts to do a male "Gary Stu" or "Marty Stu" it doesn't come up nearly as much - even though the male character who is basically flawless and wish fulfillment is far more common (Heck, in the Star Trek universe you have both James Kirk and Wesley Crusher who fit the role).
Old 11-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #16332
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thank you for your explanation. So the difference between a heroic character (Harry Potter) and a mary sue (Hermoine Granger) would be the degree of flawlessness?

Yes, but "flawlessness" from the author's point of view, and that leads to them always making the correct decision for the story's conflict. And since a main character who always makes the right decision makes for a boring story, a Mary Sue is generally one of the side characters. A telltale sign that a character is a Mary Sue is if they always tell the main character to do one thing, and the main character always goes and does something else and ends up making things worse until the last act where they finally listen to the Mary Sue's advise and end up winning.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #16333
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

Here's an episode about Mary Sue characters from a podcast I listen to for more about it. (15 minutes long)

Writing Excuses Season 3 Episode 16: The Anti-Mary Sue Episode | Writing Excuses

Edit: Not the episode I thought it was. This is about how not to write a main character Mary Sue. There's another episode, I forget which one, that talks about the "best friend Mary Sue".

Last edited by sabotai : 11-01-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #16334
cuervo72
Head Coach

I...feel kinda bad now, and swear I'm not a witch.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #16335
stevew
Hall Of Famer

India outlawing notes worth approx 7.50 and 15USD is a pretty crazy story. I guess it's nuts over there right now.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #16336
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just ran into Barry Sanders at the smoothie and juice place in the mall.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #16337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just ran into Barry Sanders at the smoothie and juice place in the mall.

Would be cool if he turned into your personal Keith Hernandez.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #16338
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That's a tough one, 'cuz Barry's probably my #1 all-time sports idol, but everybody knows Barry would probably prefer to not even be acknowledged, so how did you play it?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #16339
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That's a tough one, 'cuz Barry's probably my #1 all-time sports idol, but everybody knows Barry would probably prefer to not even be acknowledged, so how did you play it?

I just glanced over and gave him a nod. I didn't say a thing, because of exactly what you said.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #16340
Suicane75
Coordinator

I really want to have sex with Tilda Swinton, and I don't know why.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #16341
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Given the types of roles she's known for, I might be more worried about the how.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #16342
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Think about the furniture you had in the house when you were a kid. The super comfy couch. Maybe you opened Christmas presents on it. Maybe you were sitting on it when you watched an important game. Perhaps you were on that couch when your team won the Super Bowl. That's the couch you were on when your parents told you about your sibling that was on the way.

But one day while you were at school, your parents probably had sex on that couch.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #16343
Suicane75
Coordinator

My mom has only had sex once!!
Old 11-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #16344
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
My mom has only had sex once!!

Sorry it had to come out this way, but make that twice...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #16345
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I use the term "couple" a lot. As in, "I will take a couple of salt packets please" or "they are down by a couple runs."

To me, it is very clear what a couple means. It means two. Consider a romantic couple, probably the most common usage of the term. In that context, a couple is two people.

This always seems clear to me, and I use it that way.

But almost every time now, when I say I want a couple somethings or use couple to replace some version of two of something, I get confused looks and people asking me "how many?" or just handing me three, four or more of whatever it is. It's mostly younger people, I think.

Did I miss something? Did the definition of couple change?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #16346
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did I miss something? Did the definition of couple change?

Give me a couple of minutes to think about this.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #16347
Kodos
Resident Alien

A couple is two; a few is three.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #16348
Dutch
"Dutch"

Blame Wyoming.

Urban Dictionary: Couple Two Tree
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #16349
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Give me a couple of minutes to think about this.

Yes.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #16350
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
A couple is two; a few is three.

A bunch is for you, the rest is for me!