Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #1551
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just noticed today that Chris Davis has struck out 44.2% of the time. That's impressive.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #1552
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Agree. I also think there should be some sort of extra category between unearned and earned runs, something that accounts for runs that come on plays after the initial error. I mean I understand that an inning is prolonged so doing it this way says that the runs shouldn't have happened, but if a pitcher goes on to allow 6 additional baserunners and 5 more runs, to allow him off completely free is crazy IMO.

That would only happen with 2 outs, the theory being the error prevented the third out from occurring and the runs that came after would not have scored. I don't have a problem with that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #1553
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

On the side, I find the unearned run rule when a pitcher commits an error to be absurd. Detroit's Jackson had two brutal throwing errors last night which lead to two unearned runs. If the pitcher's doing the throwing, it shouldn't be unearned.

If ERA accounted for a pitcher's fielding, I think we would just use a modified ERA formula that was independent of fielding. Isn't that the trend in modern stats? Trying to take out variables that go beyond what we're trying to measure?

Last edited by molson : 05-27-2009 at 09:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #1554
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I know its the Nationals, but I'm really, really impressed with the Mets winning with, basically, a collection of spare parts and grit. I think this run will help them throughout the season.

(muffled laugh)

So a $140 million payroll only gets you spare parts and grit nowdays? I'm thinking the Royals could get a whole lot more than that with $65M in additional payroll.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #1555
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If ERA accounted for a pitcher's fielding, I think we would just use a modified ERA formula that was independent of fielding. Isn't that the trend in modern stats? Trying to take out variables that go beyond what we're trying to measure?

While realizing fully that it will never change, my impression is that the runs aren't counted against you if you weren't the reason that the runs were scored. Evidently, the actual definition is that you aren't charged for the runs if a run scores via an error, even if it was by your own hand.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #1556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
(muffled laugh)

So a $140 million payroll only gets you spare parts and grit nowdays? I'm thinking the Royals could get a whole lot more than that with $65M in additional payroll.

Uh... you may have missed the numerous injuries on the Mets mayhaps?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #1557
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Uh... you may have missed the numerous injuries on the Mets mayhaps?

Everyone has injuries. Royals have been missing two key players for most of the season, but it's nothing but an excuse to say we'd be better with them. Fact is that it's a whole lot easier to weather injuries when you have a $140M payroll than a $70-75M payroll. Small market fans don't want any pity, but they don't want to hear any tales of woe from a fan base who is unfortunate enough to root for a team with a $140M payroll. I'm guessing that's why Mets fans created their own thread. They could bellyache amongst themselves.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-27-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #1558
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everyone has injuries. Royals have been missing two key players for most of the season, but it's nothing but an excuse to say we'd be better with them. Fact is that it's a whole lot easier to weather injuries when you have a $140M payroll than a $70-75M payroll. Small market fans don't want any pity, but they don't want to hear any tales of woe from a fan base who is unfortunate enough to root for a team with a $140M payroll. I'm guessing that's why Mets fans created their own thread. They could bellyache amongst themselves.

Two key players, LOL!

The Mets have 5 out of their starting 8 position players out.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #1559
molson
General Manager

Quote:

All he said was that he was impressed with his team. Then you started going nuts about payrolls. You brought it up. There's no "bellyaching" going on. Just completely unprompted whining from you.

This thread is like 90% Royals talk. One Mets fan wants to make a comment and you start bitching "payroll, payroll, whine, whine!!"

Last edited by molson : 05-27-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #1560
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Small market fans don't want any pity

Then why does this conversation keep coming up, year after year?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-27-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #1561
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All he said was that he was impressed with his team. Then you started going nuts about payrolls. You brought it up. There's no "bellyaching" going on. Just completely unprompted whining from you.

This thread is like 90% Royals talk. One Mets fan wants to make a comment and you start bitching "payroll, payroll, whine, whine!!"

True dat. Seriously, it isn't like I haven't been an advocate of the small market teams on various baseball threads. Or are you just a johnny-come-lately on them because the Royals are actually doing good?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #1562
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hey I can join the misfortune competition.

The Braves have a GM so incompetent he couldn't get Joan of Arc to play for France, but they're still somehow over .500.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #1563
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Hey I can join the misfortune competition.

The Braves have a GM so incompetent he couldn't get Joan of Arc to play for France, but they're still somehow over .500.

Doesn't matter, they have way higher revenue than the Royals. Their accomplishments are meaningless. The Royals would be undefeated with the Braves' payroll.

Last edited by molson : 05-27-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #1564
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Or are you just a johnny-come-lately on them because the Royals are actually doing good?

Yeah, I've not been a Royals fan until now.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #1565
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Doesn't matter, they have way higher revenue than the Royals. Their accomplishments are meaningless. The Royals would be undefeated with the Braves' payroll.

Which is obvious a stupid overgeneralization. There's no question that any given team has a higher chance of playing winning baseball the higher their payroll is. We could roll out the numbers, but we all know that's a waste of time because we've seen the numbers before.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #1566
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Which is obvious a stupid overgeneralization. There's no question that any given team has a higher chance of playing winning baseball the higher their payroll is. We could roll out the numbers, but we all know that's a waste of time because we've seen the numbers before.

And Missouri basketball has an unfair advantage over smaller, private schools.

Life's unfair, get over it and stop whining. People DO feel sorry for the Royals until their fans go over-the-top painting themselves as victims, and everyone else born in larger metro areas as villains. People otherwise root for the Royals to do well.

Last edited by molson : 05-27-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #1567
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And Missouri basketball has an unfair advantage over smaller, private schools.

Life's unfair, get over it and stop whining. People DO feel sorry for the Royals until their fans go over-the-top painting themselves as victims, and everyone else born in larger metro areas as villains. People otherwise root for the Royals to do well.

No one painted the Royals as victims. You can take down the strawman now.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #1568
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Two key players, LOL!

The Mets have 5 out of their starting 8 position players out.

Really six, either by counting Beltran who's out a few days, or Schneider, who technically was the starter.

You could have a team with a $500 million payroll and it would still have difficulty winning consistently with those level of replacements. A bench is utilized on a game to game basis for pinch-hitting, defensive replacements, and spot-starting. If you're lucky, you have one or two guys on there who you wouldn't mind to start everyday more than 4 times a week. Take five $10 million players, put them on your bench, and I'll show you a shitty bench.

When you're using more replacements than you typically even carry on a bench, it's a good job.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #1569
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Prove it or shut the fuck up.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #1570
molson
General Manager

Quote:
No one painted the Royals as victims. You can take down the strawman now.

This is hillarious coming from someone who considers it a "tale of woe" and "bellyaching" for someone to be impressed by their team.

You're a bitter troll, and if anyone else (other than a Royal fan) expresses the slightest bit of happiness, you want try to bring them down by bitching about payroll.

I assure you though, ISiddiqui, nor any big-market fan performed any evil deeds for their teams to have been fortunate enough to exist in large metro areas, so don't take out your sad, pathetic bitterness on them.

Last edited by molson : 05-27-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #1571
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This is hillarious coming from someone who considers it a "tale of woe" and "bellyaching" for someone to be impressed by their team.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have gone to that degree. I apologize.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #1572
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bixler of the Pirates struck out over 60 percent of the time till he got sent down. Granted it was like 30ab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Just noticed today that Chris Davis has struck out 44.2% of the time. That's impressive.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #1573
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

interesting article on cnnsi.com the other day talking about how in order for someone to hit .400 these days they'd have to put the ball in play more than hitters today too, and it essentially boils down to striking out in less than 4% of your AB's.

The man with perhaps the best chance to do that would be Pujols, and he still strikes out 8% of his AB's. So it'd take a normal-BABIP year from him plus a significant reduction in his strikeouts to even come close.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #1574
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think Cards fans would rather Pujols have a few more K's and keep up a very high SLG% .
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #1575
Atocep
Coordinator

Its great to be a Mets fan and have the financial flexibility to pull Fernando Tatis out of a hut in San Pedro to come play baseball and get the Tigers to pay Sheffield's salary. Not to mention the bank Omar Santos and Ramon Martinez are making right now.

I do wish they would have passed on all those guys and given that money to Willie Bloomquist, though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #1576
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Cabrera just mashed a homerun into the left field seats. It was a great swing for those that want to catch it on the highlights.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #1577
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Its great to be a Mets fan and have the financial flexibility to pull Fernando Tatis out of a hut in San Pedro to come play baseball and get the Tigers to pay Sheffield's salary. Not to mention the bank Omar Santos and Ramon Martinez are making right now.

I do wish they would have passed on all those guys and given that money to Willie Bloomquist, though.

LOLz!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #1578
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Ha...very true my friend.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #1579
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Yeah, I can't think that the Mets would have any use for a player batting .371.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #1580
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Of course you would fixate on that, and not that he blew away your original argument.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #1581
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Who is batting .371?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #1582
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Heheheh.

Certainly not Bloomquist.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-27-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #1583
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

lol.

That's his OBP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=4603

Last edited by Lathum : 05-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #1584
Logan
Head Coach

There's comedy, there's high comedy, and then there's what MBBF will post next.

Last edited by Logan : 05-27-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #1585
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

You would think, being such a huge Royals fan, he might know whether a guy is hitting lights out or mildly above average.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-27-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #1586
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

.298. Fair enough. So the Mets don't need a .300 hitter who can play multiple positions?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #1587
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As a comparison, a MUCH cheaper Gary Sheffield has an OBP of .430 and a SLG of .535
Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #1588
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Of course you would fixate on that, and not that he blew away your original argument.

He didn't blow away anything. He pointed out the few examples of trash heap finds, while pretending that the multi-millionaires on the team don't exist.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #1589
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As a comparison, a MUCH cheaper Gary Sheffield has an OBP of .430 and a SLG of .535

And destroys team chemistry everywhere he goes. No thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #1590
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He didn't blow away anything. He pointed out the few examples of trash heap finds, while pretending that the multi-millionaires on the team don't exist.

You mean the multi-millionaires who mostly happen to be hurt?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #1591
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, he really is messing up the Mets right now.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #1592
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You know nothing.

He has been nothing but a blessing for the Mets and Wright openly campaigned to bring him in.

I realize the guys past is sketchy, but he is no TO. And chemistry is so stupidly overrated in baseball.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #1593
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I don't know, for a career .394 hitter, I'd be willing to put up with a lot.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #1594
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, he really is messing up the Mets right now.

Exactly right...the Mets do that fine on their own

But seriously like a few of you said, Manny hasn't killed any teams and I think at what the Mets are paying Gary, it's a steal.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #1595
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You know nothing.

He has been nothing but a blessing for the Mets and Wright openly campaigned to bring him in.

I realize the guys past is sketchy, but he is no TO. And chemistry is so stupidly overrated in baseball.

Couldn't disagree more with this. Chemistry is very important. Spats in the clubhouse can ruin a team.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #1596
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I don't know, for a career .394 hitter, I'd be willing to put up with a lot.

Must've hit well of late.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #1597
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Which ones were ruined by clubhouse spats?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #1598
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Uhhhh, yeah he did. You stated it's so easy to find replacements and build a solid bench with a $140 million payroll. He showed how the guys contributing now are being paid salaries that are eclipsed by some advertising execs living in NYC. Not only that, but they basically came from nowhere and were still able to contribute. That's good personnel management.

Oh, and since I know what your typical "I'll ignore 95% of the facts and focus on the outlier" response is going to be, I'll go ahead and answer:

Sheffield might make $14 million but it sure as hell wasn't the Mets who gave it to him and any team could've had him for the minimum salary.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #1599
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more with this. Chemistry is very important. Spats in the clubhouse can ruin a team.

My God you are amazing.

Baseball is wrought with histories of teams that hated each other and were successful.

I guess he ruined the Marlins in 1997
Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #1600
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Which ones were ruined by clubhouse spats?

86 Mets?

Oh wait.