Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #1551
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Part of the problem, I think, is that real minor leagues are more complicated than what OOTP is currently able to do.

If you read through some of that huge thread in the mod area, I think you'll see that they just recently got to the point where they were rating minor leaguers. That it tooks a couple of months to get through the major leaguers is scary.

As for my comments about 'real' players, I'm speaking specifically of the Rolen/Cubby Fan roster set - not any other quickstart or anything else of the sort. I don't know what makes it not seem 'right', but you don't need to fool around with it for long before your realize that it's 'off'. It's not the ratings, it just makes the game do odd things.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #1552
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
If you read through some of that huge thread in the mod area, I think you'll see that they just recently got to the point where they were rating minor leaguers. That it tooks a couple of months to get through the major leaguers is scary.

As for my comments about 'real' players, I'm speaking specifically of the Rolen/Cubby Fan roster set - not any other quickstart or anything else of the sort. I don't know what makes it not seem 'right', but you don't need to fool around with it for long before your realize that it's 'off'. It's not the ratings, it just makes the game do odd things.

What sort of odd things?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #1553
Galaril
Pro Starter

It would be good for SI if they are serious about this series try to get the MLB license like in FM so they can use the real player database and as someone said before have people assigned to each team major and minor.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #1554
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
What sort of odd things?

The AI really looks bad when I use that roster set. Really bad.

I end up in situations where I'm only running one team and I get alerts that other teams have players in DFA and the time has expired. Even though I have them set to be run by the AI. The AI is making all sorts of moves for them, but they end up with players stuck in DFA anyway.

I've never gotten any crashes ever when not using that roster set - I've had a few with it.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #1555
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I played for about 14 hours yesterday total with the latest build. Here are some thoughts.

A. Scouting is frustrating. Not the actual time consuming scouting of players which I don't really like, it's situations like these potential ratings from my scouts on a player in the draft:
80/80
24/80
80/80
80/80

So 3 out of my four scouts like this player to be dominant and there is a scout who thinks he can't play in the lowest rungs of the minors. This is fine in theory - however I think that the discrepency comes from the fact that the scouts are judging the players based on their personalities of building a roster. If this is true, they should be judging talent based on how I like to build a team. Also, it seems stupid to favor speed against power for example in the personel profiles. I'd like to be able to weigh them, but not against each other.

Also, there is very little scout turnover and there hasn't been a way for me yet to upgrade my scouts, none ever leave their current organization.

I'm thinking that if I turn scouting off I might enjoy the game better - I'd love to be able to use it, but it's been more frustrating then it's been worth.

B. What is the deal with off-season free agency? Does it just start right after they declare? While the old 6.5 method of free agency might not have been realistic to cordon off 30 days, it worked much better then not even telling me when I could start to sign players. I simmed through to the Winter Meetings thinking it would happen then, but most of the good players were signed before then. I guess now that I know it's not a huge deal, but it seems like an odd way to play the game.

C. Trading is a mess. The solution to the 6.5 trading problems isn't what SI has built into this game. The old method of just throwing guys out and seeing what you can get was enjoyable. The way to fix it was to make the AI value players more properly, not make it a nighmare to put together a deal. I'd also like to be able to just turn off the AI offers at all times - they are a waste of time.

D. More things need to 'stick'. If I go to my minor league rosters and switch from stats to ratings and then demote a player they all go back to stats. Many screens when you click into a player and go back out you lose the sort/view you were looking at. Annoying and time-consuming.

E. The minor league AI should be a focus. Even if players can just be assigned to age-appropriate levels - it's silly to have a bunch of players over 30 below AA.

F. The overall/potential ratings seem to be a bit wrong in my 20-80 scale. It seems that I have a huge amount of 80/80. I'm guess this is because it takes anyone that is 80 and above and makes them an 80, because there are many players who shouldn't rate 80 who do, and whose component ratings don't jive with that overall rating.

G. The minor league system is a step down from past versions. The ghost player methodology was perfect. I cannot stand going out and signing backup catchers and 5th starters for my A ball team. It also makes it tougher to figure out what you have as your 2 or 3 legitimate prospects by level are buried in a sea of roster sludge.

In conclusion, I think that many of my fears were realized in this edition. I can see the draw of EHM and FM, I've tried them in the past and I can see why they have such loyal fanbases. OOTP had a loyal fanbase as well, and I think there are some like me who respect the depth of FM but do not have the time or desire to play something so complicated. The beauty of OOTP has always been going through many seasons and seeing how players develop or recreating a hundred years of history. It is too bad that the almanac feature that would have been more useful in past versions when one could complete many seasons is finally available in this game which isn't condusive to quick simming through many years.

I can see how younger people and college students will love this game. If you've got spare time this could become very addictive. Even though I freed up an entire day yesterday, those occasions are few and far between and with the amount of depth included in this game you really need to dedicate time to your 'universe' to get immersed to any degree.

I find much of the information to be overkill. Maybe I'm just used to how it was organized in past versions, but I've found the huge amount of information make it harder to make a decision which in turn makes it harder to get through enough game time to get me interested in what is going on. For me it's a classic case of paralysis by analysis.

I've found that I can find some enjoyment in a small fictional league with only 3 levels of minor leagues. I do not think that the vast majority of features in this version are going to be much good for me: The scouting system is no fun to me, I've got no interest in the 'universe' aspect, the full rosters of the minor leagues are sapping my will to play the game, I can't invest the time needed to make a trade, the vast majority of the extra stats and splits I find mostly useless (except VORP - good addition, I don't particularly like the new UI - even though I'm starting to be able to move through it, I still don't like it.

I guess my hope is that there are many more that feel the way I do, and our collective voices encourage SI to make this game 'simpler' and focus more on the enjoyment of playing then the trying to focus on 'realistic' in terms of what a general manager does. I guess our slogan could be: "Realism on the field, Fun in the front office."

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 07-23-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #1556
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Is it good or is it bad for SI that there aren't many people posting in this thread?

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 07-23-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #1557
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it good or is it bad for SI that there aren't many people posting in this thread?

Probably both.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #1558
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I noticed this as well and I view it as not a good thing.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #1559
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Yeah, I noticed this as well and I view it as not a good thing.

I don't know if I'm the exception or not, but I've purchased the past four versions and have pretty much decided to skip this one. I tried the early demo (haven't been able to try the new patches because of the time limit issue), and although I didn't mind the interface as much as I thought I would, I just have to agree with those who say it feels like work more than fun.

All of the weird AI stuff, lack of a good MLB roster set (yes, I'm one of those who doesn't really enjoy fictional to start) and me missing some of the little things like stars and the trade block makes me figure I'll just go ahead and skip this one and hope for better things next spring.

Besides, as a Cubs fan, baseball season has long been over for me...
Old 07-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #1560
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
and me missing some of the little things like stars

They did get around the stars thing by adding overall rating/potential rating to the views. It allows you to sort like the stars used it, I'd say it's at least as good as the stars were if not better.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #1561
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've been playing a lot lately since the game hasn't been buggy as it was before...so that's the reason I haven't had much to say about this, beyond what's already been said.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #1562
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
They did get around the stars thing by adding overall rating/potential rating to the views. It allows you to sort like the stars used it, I'd say it's at least as good as the stars were if not better.

Yeah, I heard that. I haven't been able to try it yet because of the demo issue, though.

Honestly, I would've said that stars were essentially worthless and I didn't mind losing them. But then when I tried it without the stars, it bugged me. Despite all their flaws, they were a handy little tool and that transactions screen in 6.5 is just such an easy way to get a great overview.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #1563
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I played for about 14 hours yesterday total with the latest build. Here are some thoughts.

A. Scouting is frustrating. Not the actual time consuming scouting of players which I don't really like, it's situations like these potential ratings from my scouts on a player in the draft:
80/80
24/80
80/80
80/80

So 3 out of my four scouts like this player to be dominant and there is a scout who thinks he can't play in the lowest rungs of the minors. This is fine in theory - however I think that the discrepency comes from the fact that the scouts are judging the players based on their personalities of building a roster. If this is true, they should be judging talent based on how I like to build a team. Also, it seems stupid to favor speed against power for example in the personel profiles. I'd like to be able to weigh them, but not against each other.

Also, there is very little scout turnover and there hasn't been a way for me yet to upgrade my scouts, none ever leave their current organization.

I'm thinking that if I turn scouting off I might enjoy the game better - I'd love to be able to use it, but it's been more frustrating then it's been worth.

B. What is the deal with off-season free agency? Does it just start right after they declare? While the old 6.5 method of free agency might not have been realistic to cordon off 30 days, it worked much better then not even telling me when I could start to sign players. I simmed through to the Winter Meetings thinking it would happen then, but most of the good players were signed before then. I guess now that I know it's not a huge deal, but it seems like an odd way to play the game.

C. Trading is a mess. The solution to the 6.5 trading problems isn't what SI has built into this game. The old method of just throwing guys out and seeing what you can get was enjoyable. The way to fix it was to make the AI value players more properly, not make it a nighmare to put together a deal. I'd also like to be able to just turn off the AI offers at all times - they are a waste of time.

D. More things need to 'stick'. If I go to my minor league rosters and switch from stats to ratings and then demote a player they all go back to stats. Many screens when you click into a player and go back out you lose the sort/view you were looking at. Annoying and time-consuming.

E. The minor league AI should be a focus. Even if players can just be assigned to age-appropriate levels - it's silly to have a bunch of players over 30 below AA.

F. The overall/potential ratings seem to be a bit wrong in my 20-80 scale. It seems that I have a huge amount of 80/80. I'm guess this is because it takes anyone that is 80 and above and makes them an 80, because there are many players who shouldn't rate 80 who do, and whose component ratings don't jive with that overall rating.

G. The minor league system is a step down from past versions. The ghost player methodology was perfect. I cannot stand going out and signing backup catchers and 5th starters for my A ball team. It also makes it tougher to figure out what you have as your 2 or 3 legitimate prospects by level are buried in a sea of roster sludge.

In conclusion, I think that many of my fears were realized in this edition. I can see the draw of EHM and FM, I've tried them in the past and I can see why they have such loyal fanbases. OOTP had a loyal fanbase as well, and I think there are some like me who respect the depth of FM but do not have the time or desire to play something so complicated. The beauty of OOTP has always been going through many seasons and seeing how players develop or recreating a hundred years of history. It is too bad that the almanac feature that would have been more useful in past versions when one could complete many seasons is finally available in this game which isn't condusive to quick simming through many years.

I can see how younger people and college students will love this game. If you've got spare time this could become very addictive. Even though I freed up an entire day yesterday, those occasions are few and far between and with the amount of depth included in this game you really need to dedicate time to your 'universe' to get immersed to any degree.

I find much of the information to be overkill. Maybe I'm just used to how it was organized in past versions, but I've found the huge amount of information make it harder to make a decision which in turn makes it harder to get through enough game time to get me interested in what is going on. For me it's a classic case of paralysis by analysis.

I've found that I can find some enjoyment in a small fictional league with only 3 levels of minor leagues. I do not think that the vast majority of features in this version are going to be much good for me: The scouting system is no fun to me, I've got no interest in the 'universe' aspect, the full rosters of the minor leagues are sapping my will to play the game, I can't invest the time needed to make a trade, the vast majority of the extra stats and splits I find mostly useless (except VORP - good addition, I don't particularly like the new UI - even though I'm starting to be able to move through it, I still don't like it.

I guess my hope is that there are many more that feel the way I do, and our collective voices encourage SI to make this game 'simpler' and focus more on the enjoyment of playing then the trying to focus on 'realistic' in terms of what a general manager does. I guess our slogan could be: "Realism on the field, Fun in the front office."

Good points.

You should post this in the ootp tech forum. Maybe something can be done about these issues.

I doubt it will get a TT# here.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #1564
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

One other thing huge thing that would bother me if I played out more games, would be the lack of a one-pitch in game experience like past versions. That is a huge omission.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #1565
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

80/80
24/80
80/80
80/80

I've been playing the game a lot over the last few days with the newest patch and am enjoying it. I did help test the beta patches as they came out and have seen a lot of improvements go into the game. I woudn't describe myself as a fanboy in any way but I do look at the glass as being half full with ootp. I am able to work around issues I have with the game and don't let those issues detract from my enjoyment.

Your post has many fair criticisms of the game. The game has become more complex and time consuming to do what needs to be done. However IMHO the answer is not to go backwards to make the game easier, for a lack of a better word. I think we go ahead from here and design a better way to do the extra tasks and make less work of them.

Your minor league example, harder to have a handle on what you have there with full teams is somewhat true. I still don't think it's awfully hard to know who your real prospects are once immersed in your league. I don't think the aswer is to go back to ghost players though when we now have real leagues with real games. I'd like to see options to have minor league managers control the everyday opreations without moving guys up and down in the minors. I'd like to see locks on the lineups like fof has. You could lock your prospects into the lineup or rotation and let the AI do the rest. Allow the AI to sing sign players to fill out the minors when you have injuries etc but not touch your prospects. Like a lot of things with this game the base is now in place to build on. Sure it will be next year or maybe the year after that before some of these things can be added so why backtrack now when adding more controls will hopefully do the same thing?

I'd be very surprised and disappointed to not see the trading block back next year along with many other 6.5 things people have asked for. We'll have to wait and see.

Scouting could be made easier and a bigger pool available. Your thoughts about how their opinions are weighed are valid. But perhaps with a bigger pool we could hire scouts that agree with our philosophy of how to build the team. I'd like to be able to right click on a team on my schedule and have a scout option available there. Others have suggested being able to schedule scouting duties weeks or months in advance which has also recieved support.

Sticking should be done everywhere and shouldn't have to be asked for. I agree it is very annoying.

My league is a 6.5x import and with the new patches I haven't had the over 30 issue below AA. In my current league I just started I had one guy over 30 below AA on Jan 1 before I ever stepped in and made any moves. I cut the guy because he did suck. If this is cubby\rolen roster maybe it's an issue with that and not the game? I believe cubby said the minor ratings are not done and many players are currently overrated. Perhaps this contributes to youner guys being moved up and older down?

No doubt adding this much depth to the game is going to turn some people off and bring others in. But as I said with the base in place I am hoping more user options and controls will be put in place to delegate some of these jobs to your staff. This could allow the new depth that many want and yet allow a more efficient use of time for someone that wants to move along quickly.

I'd agree with jb, a good post to put on the ootp forums. Might foster some discussion on how to make the game "more fun" and effiecient without taking away any of the new depth (which let's face it probably isn't going to happen).

my 2 cents
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #1566
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
However IMHO the answer is not to go backwards to make the game easier, for a lack of a better word. I think we go ahead from here and design a better way to do the extra tasks and make less work of them.

I mostly agree with this. I do think that in a few spots simpler would be better. Scouting would be better if it ignored the scouts preferences - this would make it both more simple to use, more simple to understand and make it more fun and less frustrating.

I imagine in time I'll be able to come up with some views that give me what I want to know so that I don't have to rely on the overwhelming information in the canned reports.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 AM   #1567
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:

I've been annoyed by some of the things that Markus has said on the OOTP boards, but they have addressed many concerns and as long as they support this game for another few patches before they flip to working on 07 it should be pretty good.

According to a beta tester on another board, this new patch due next week will be the final patch. Unless there is a new game-breaking bug introduced.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:54 AM   #1568
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One other thing huge thing that would bother me if I played out more games, would be the lack of a one-pitch in game experience like past versions. That is a huge omission.

You do know you can hit enter and simulate the whole at bat, right?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:18 AM   #1569
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
You do know you can hit enter and simulate the whole at bat, right?

I know. But then you don't get to use any strategy. I'm talking about the 6.5 and prior way of handling at-bats.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #1570
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
According to a beta tester on another board, this new patch due next week will be the final patch. Unless there is a new game-breaking bug introduced.

Wow.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:11 AM   #1571
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow.

They have to begin work on 2K7, you know!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #1572
Bee
Pro Starter

My point of view is probably much different than many here. I didn't really like the previous incarnations of the OOTP series. I bought it every year and played around with it for a few days and then put it away. I always hoped it would grab me, but it never did. For me this version was the most entertaining version released to date and while it still fell short of what I would want in a game, I think they are now headed in the right direction. I think the depth that has been added to the game is a good thing, but there is a lot of tweaking needed to get things working right and there's also a need to add features to make navigating that depth more user friendly. I think there's a lot to be done, but I'm hoping that Markus and company don't abandon things to return to the old way of doing things because I think that would be a big mistake.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #1573
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
My point of view is probably much different than many here. I didn't really like the previous incarnations of the OOTP series. I bought it every year and played around with it for a few days and then put it away. I always hoped it would grab me, but it never did. For me this version was the most entertaining version released to date and while it still fell short of what I would want in a game, I think they are now headed in the right direction. I think the depth that has been added to the game is a good thing, but there is a lot of tweaking needed to get things working right and there's also a need to add features to make navigating that depth more user friendly. I think there's a lot to be done, but I'm hoping that Markus and company don't abandon things to return to the old way of doing things because I think that would be a big mistake.
We're very much continuing along the same lines.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #1574
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:

We've yet to make a final decision, we'll see how 1.0.2 does first.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #1575
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just dumbfounded.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #1576
cougarfreak
College Starter

I think this will be the end of the line for many, many ootp vets. They'd better be able to convince a whole new customer base to buy the game, otherwise I don't see it being expanded on after next year.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #1577
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Just dumbfounded.

Read one post above yours, they haven't reached the final decision yet.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #1578
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wow, if that is the case, my decision on whether to buy or not just became much easier.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #1579
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
We've yet to make a final decision, we'll see how 1.0.2 does first.

Thought I'd quote this because it looks like some folks have Marc on ignore.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #1580
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't ignore what he said, but that doesn't exactly fill me with hope that the game will be continued to be improved in this version. It's certainly not a ringing denial of Dervack's statement.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #1581
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I tend to agree with this. But then, I think that's the case for any of the text sims we play. I have friends who marvel at how much time I pour into these and that I can spend an entire weekend playing and be throughly engrossed. But at the same time, it can be distracting as hell when you're needing to do RL stuff and hardly lend themselves to casual play. Maybe an online league would, but not solo play.

As for the last patch dealio, I think at the minimum Active/Inactive Leagues ought to find its way into the game before the next edition. I mean, not only was it promised, but he reiterated that it'd be in the first patch and it was a bunch of lacking stuff and broken things that prevented that from happening. But that's not our fault as people who bought the game and the lack of that feature is a HUGE blow to managing a universe, especially since we can't add/remove them in this edition.

The almanac is setup for active/inactive teams and leagues, so...to not have them to me would be an extremely big letdown. But then, for a lot of folks that's the theme of this entire release.

I've actually had a decent time with this ever since they released versions that worked and that I could sim fast. And I'm happier with this iteraton of OOTP than any of the previous ones, specifically BECAUSE of SI's involvement, because their engine is conducive to the sort of simmer I am.

But I suspect that for most, at the point we're at now, is one where people as if we should've been at or very close to after launch and well, we're just there 2 months after.

So, I dunno. I guess its just be interesting to see where it all heads.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #1582
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Wow, if that is the case, my decision on whether to buy or not just became much easier.

Same here. Although I find it sad because I loved playing ootp for all these years - it was by far my favorite game.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #1583
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't ignore what he said, but that doesn't exactly fill me with hope that the game will be continued to be improved in this version. It's certainly not a ringing denial of Dervack's statement.

True, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a stupid joke.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #1584
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Cut me some slack pllleeaassee. Improving (or for some of you getting the game to a decent state) is exactly what we've spent seven weeks doing. I'm not ruling out 1.0.3 but I'm not going to be stupid and promise one and then have you guys dig me out for making promises I didnt keep
Old 07-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #1585
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cut me some slack pllleeaassee. Improving (or for some of you getting the game to a decent state) is exactly what we've spent seven weeks doing. I'm not ruling out 1.0.3 but I'm not going to be stupid and promise one and then have you guys dig me out for making promises I didnt keep

Hey, I was just commenting on the fact that things I believe need to be fixed for a purchase to be worthwhile for me don't seem to be addressed in the 1.02 patch from what I've read so far. Furthermore, from the information coming from your own beta testers combined with the tone of your post, it seems quite possible that another patch won't be done. If that happens, I very likely won't buy. Even if you don't make a promise of a 3rd patch, if there is no 3rd patch, I think Markus and SI are going to take a PR hit and likely a hit in future sales of the game.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #1586
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Also, as of right now, I can't try 1.02 for myself since my demo time has expired. Unless, you are able to work that out with Elicense.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #1587
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cut me some slack pllleeaassee.

Boo. Hoo. Hoo.

Ya'll made the mess (well, more accurately, you put your names on a mess). The fact that people are less than supremely confident is something I'm pretty sure you're just going to have to get used to.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #1588
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Hey, I was just commenting on the fact that things I believe need to be fixed for a purchase to be worthwhile for me don't seem to be addressed in the 1.02 patch from what I've read so far. Furthermore, from the information coming from your own beta testers combined with the tone of your post, it seems quite possible that another patch won't be done. If that happens, I very likely won't buy. Even if you don't make a promise of a 3rd patch, if there is no 3rd patch, I think Markus and SI are going to take a PR hit and likely a hit in future sales of the game.
I simply wont commit to one till one is planned and that decision waits till Markus comes back from his holiday

What I will say to you is make sure your issues that you say are not fixed in 1.0.2 get logged in our support forum and that you get a Testtrack number as reference. This way you know it's logged and trackable.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #1589
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Dola -

Also, as of right now, I can't try 1.02 for myself since my demo time has expired. Unless, you are able to work that out with Elicense.
Posted this earlier.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...5&postcount=31

Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #1590
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Boo. Hoo. Hoo.

Ya'll made the mess (well, more accurately, you put your names on a mess). The fact that people are less than supremely confident is something I'm pretty sure you're just going to have to get used to.

Go easy on uncle Marc, he's younger and less grizzled than I am .... once his kids are older and more abusive to his feelings you're welcome to jump on him full force, until then please heap abuse on me and pat him on the head nicely

(on a more serious note, we're doing everything we can to fix any reported problems as promptly as possible - obviously we aren't going to promise future patches until the current situation with any of our games is fully assessed, thats all Marc is saying ...)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #1591
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I missed that post. I'm certainly interested in taking advantage of that at some point in the next few days.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #1592
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Go easy on uncle Marc, he's younger and less grizzled than I am .... once his kids are older and more abusive to his feelings you're welcome to jump on him full force, until then please heap abuse on me and pat him on the head nicely

Sorry Marc, but "the other Marc" seems to have an uncanny knack for taking a tone that irritates me to hell & back. He reminds me more & more of the SI version of the wife-of-a-developer-who-I-won't-name-but-who-has- spelling-and/or-typing-issues; i.e. he tends to come across poorly regardless of what his intentions may be. (not that bad, but the closest thing you have that I've encountered).

Alas, we all gotta learn sometime.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #1593
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I should have tried this earlier. The game is 100 times more enjoyable to me with the scouts off. Scouting is a disaster, I can't even talk about it anymore, but I might just be able to play this game solo just by checking that box.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #1594
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
I missed that post. I'm certainly interested in taking advantage of that at some point in the next few days.
More news to follow
Old 07-25-2006, 02:44 AM   #1595
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Sorry Marc, but "the other Marc" seems to have an uncanny knack for taking a tone that irritates me to hell & back. He reminds me more & more of the SI version of the wife-of-a-developer-who-I-won't-name-but-who-has- spelling-and/or-typing-issues; i.e. he tends to come across poorly regardless of what his intentions may be. (not that bad, but the closest thing you have that I've encountered).

Alas, we all gotta learn sometime.
I'd say the best thing for you would be to put me on ignore, that way you don't have to listen to my irritations anymore.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #1596
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

One of the things that I'll never understand about these message boards..not just here, but in general is how quickly things devolve into getting personal.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #1597
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
One of the things that I'll never understand about these message boards..not just here, but in general is how quickly things devolve into getting personal.
shut up - you nazi.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #1598
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ass hole.

edit: it's sad to be beaten to the punch with a bad joke.

Last edited by John Galt : 07-25-2006 at 09:42 AM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #1599
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Something to do with being passionate and having great feeling and strong emotions about a topic
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #1600
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd say the best thing for you would be to put me on ignore, that way you don't have to listen to my irritations anymore.

Alternately, you could try to keep your foot out of your mouth quite so often.