Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #1551
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
If this was basketball, they would be 8-1 favorites, not 8-1 underdogs. I would have loved a win, too, but we have a great chance to advance, something that I thought was near impossible heading into today.

I wouldn't call it a great chance. Ghana is pretty close to being the best team in the group, and I think Czech Rep will get at least a draw against Italy.

The heart they showed today is a great place to start though. Here's hoping things fall their way
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #1552
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
One explination I've heard is that Arena probably wanted McBride for defensive set pieces, since McBride is very good at using his head, while Johnson is not distinguished in the same... and as we've seen, the Italians are very good at offensive set pieces.
(again, standard disclaimer, soccer neophyte)

What about subbing for someone like Reyna? He looked like he had nothing left at that point, surely even a second tier MF would have given you more than him in the last ten minutes, right?
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #1553
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I wonder what it is about Italy and playing WC games with a controversial South American referee. Last time around, in 2002, it was Byron Moreno from Ecuador making some questionable calls in the game between Italy and South Korea.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #1554
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
What about subbing for someone like Reyna? He looked like he had nothing left at that point, surely even a second tier MF would have given you more than him in the last ten minutes, right?

Eh... Reyna is your captain and in the bunker, you want someone with some leadership... and you'd be replacing a MF with a forward when you are looking to bunker down because your squad is tired as all Hell.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #1555
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Daed - I do not owe Mathis shit. I am personally sick of his contast potshots at the US. I just can not stand people who willd judge a team based on where they live. He will deny it, but it has been documented time and time again on this board. Personally, I can not stand the guy.
Your opinion is disappointing, given what my opinion of you used to be.

In contrast, I have not seen Matthijs taken any potshots on the US team. You dislike his opinions because he does not gush over the US team and its greatness. However, he is critical of just about any and every team as, like me, he is simply a fan of football, regardless of nationalities. In talking to him, he's much harsher on the Dutch team than he is on the US national team.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #1556
ChiMatt
n00b

Quote:
If this was basketball, they would be 8-1 favorites, not 8-1 underdogs. I would have loved a win, too, but we have a great chance to advance, something that I thought was near impossible heading into today.

I don't get that though. 8-1 is pretty serious underdogs. Before the opening match all of ESPN/ABC's "experts" predicted the US would advance out of pool play. Now we have to feel good about going 0-1-1 barely scoring one goal?

I really like this team and they did show great heart today but sometimes that's just not enough. If they want to be considered a real team the results are just not there.

Last edited by ChiMatt : 06-17-2006 at 04:39 PM.
ChiMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #1557
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #1558
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Your opinion is disappointing, given what my opinion of you used to be.

In contrast, I have not seen Matthijs taken any potshots on the US team. You dislike his opinions because he does not gush over the US team and its greatness. However, he is critical of just about any and every team as, like me, he is simply a fan of football, regardless of nationalities. In talking to him, he's much harsher on the Dutch team than he is on the US national team.

Whatever. Everyone is entilted to their own opinion.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:41 PM   #1559
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
The ref took the game out of the Americans hands. They dominated Italy when it was 11v11.

They didn't even dominate Italy when it was 11v10.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #1560
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMatt
I really like this team and they did show great heart today but sometimes that's just not enough. If they want to be considered a real team the results are just not there.

i agree
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #1561
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch

Seriously, what game were you watching?

The US had all of the chances and the vast majority of possesion, both when it was 11v11 and 11v10.

Sheesh.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 06-17-2006 at 04:47 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #1562
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

The US had all of the chances and the mvast majority of possesion.

Sheesh.

I was watching the game through unbiased eyes.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #1563
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Excellent game to watch.

Both first half reds were deserved IMHO. De Rossi, blatant elbow. Masteroni was late, two footed and didn't get the ball, in any situation that's a red card. Pope can consider himself a bit unlucky as the foul he got the second yellow for probably wasn't worthy of a booking, but he made plenty of fouls in the first half and was walking on thin ice for a long time so I wasn't suprised he got sent off. The disallowed goal was the correct decision, McBride was clearly interferring with play by standing right infront of Buffon. To be honest, the biggest thing hat struck me with the officiating was how many times Italy were called offside when they were either level, or in some cases clearly on by a distance. I counted 5 breakaways where Toni/Iaquinta/Gillardino were through one-on-one that were incorrectly called back by the linesman.

Player wise, Donovan and Reyna played very well for the US. Oneywu was good nearer the end after a nervous start. The US defending on the goal was simply atrocious, Pope just didn't track Gillardino so god knows what he thought he was supposed to be doing there. That's two goals from crosses he was clearly at fault with, so I'd have dropped him for the next match even if he wasn't suspended. Italy we poor going forward, they created a few chances but really should have put the game away in the second half. Del Piero and Pirlo were getting so much space but just didn't use the ball well enough.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #1564
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

The US had all of the chances and the vast majority of possesion, both when it was 11v11 and 11v10.

Sheesh.

And if we're being honest, didn't come that close to scoring. Putting bad refereeing decisions aside, the US is one laughable own goal away from being 0-2 with 0 goals scored.

I think GE, it's time to admit this US side isn't as good as it was made out to be. Lots of players with heart but sub World Class talent, and a couple of talented players with very little heart.

There - I'm officially a Eurosnob
Old 06-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #1565
ChiMatt
n00b

Quote:

I agree with this. The only two stretches of the game that Italy controlled were when they went down 11-10 for 10 minutes or so and then the final 15 minutes. The US controlled the rest of the game.

The US had all the momentum when they had the man advantage but did not do anything with it and gave it away. (Or in my opinion had it taken away from them.)
ChiMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #1566
MrBug708
Head Coach

GE - You need to lighten up. When it comes to sports, you take things too personally. Sure MIJB isn't too thrilled about US Soccer, but that's his perogative. The same thing happened with Memphis during March Madness. The last thing you want to do is piss off some poor tree somewhere because of a loss of your favorite team(s).

Im not defending MIJB as I think it's expected. He's not a US fan and while I dont think he is unbias, I dont think he is biased either. And Im certainly not defending Daed. as he doesn't like me for whatever reason.

Just saying is all
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #1567
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't get that though. 8-1 is pretty serious underdogs. Before the opening match all of ESPN/ABC's "experts" predicted the US would advance out of pool play. Now we have to feel good about going 0-1-1 barely scoring one goal?

I think the thing is that it is only the US media believed that the team would advance. The rest of the world thought that the US could advance, but were not favourites to do so.

This is one of two groups which were extremely tough (the other being the Argies/Dutch/Ivory Coast/S&M, although the latter have disappointed) - any two of the four could have qualified, but certainly most people outside the US would say more often than not the US would not advance.

And as much as diving, controversial calls, etc may well put potential new US fans off, unrealistic media portrayal will have a far more damaging impact, as these new fans will tune in expecting the US to win, and if they don't will think they have failed to perform.

if the US 'experts' have given an inaccurate projection, today might be seen as a poor result: however, especially given the 2 red cards, it should be seen very much as a point gained, not two points lost.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #1568
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:

Well, betting lines aren't meant predict the victor, they are meant to put equal money on both sides, and I'm sure a lot of bettors just wanted to go with Italy on reputation alone compared to the US.

But anyway, tieing one of the best teams in the world when down a man for an entire half, I'm going to be happy with that. Obviously the Czech game was crap, and you hope that that was an aberration. When I say that I feel good, I mean that I feel good as compared to when today started. You have to admit that we are in a much better position to advance now than we were last night.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #1569
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
And if we're being honest, didn't come that close to scoring. Putting bad refereeing decisions aside, the US is one laughable own goal away from being 0-2 with 0 goals scored.

I think GE, it's time to admit this US side isn't as good as it was made out to be. Lots of players with heart but sub World Class talent, and a couple of talented players with very little heart.

There - I'm officially a Eurosnob

shocking...i think i agree. and really WE havn't scored. The scoresheet shows one for us, but no US player has put one in the back of the net, and IMO that is what matters. We were gifted a draw, and actually considering all that happened in that game were quite fortunate to escape the game with the draw intact.

yeah, my irrational belief that this team was going to go places this WC is dead.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #1570
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
One explination I've heard is that Arena probably wanted McBride for defensive set pieces, since McBride is very good at using his head, while Johnson is not distinguished in the same... and as we've seen, the Italians are very good at offensive set pieces.
dont buy it, Johnson would give you so much more. even if Bruce wanted McBride in, that still doesn't explain why he didn't make a sub, a lot of tired players out there. no excuse, i remain incredulous over this, Bruce wears the Dunce Cap on this one.

Quote:
Indeed. This could very well be "The Match" of the 2006 World Cup that people remember 10-20 years later and is shown on the highlight shows. Instant Classic meaning most memorable in this context, not best played.

only memorable if we make it out of group, otherwise will be overshadowed by the opening 0-3 "step back" loss
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #1571
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
GE - You need to lighten up. When it comes to sports, you take things too personally. Sure MIJB isn't too thrilled about US Soccer, but that's his perogative. The same thing happened with Memphis during March Madness. The last thing you want to do is piss off some poor tree somewhere because of a loss of your favorite team(s).

Im not defending MIJB as I think it's expected. He's not a US fan and while I dont think he is unbias, I dont think he is biased either. And Im certainly not defending Daed. as he doesn't like me for whatever reason.

Just saying is all
Fan of the USA? No, I got my own country.
Rooting for them to beat other teams? Hell yes, for the fourth consecutive World Cup.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #1572
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy
only memorable if we make it out of group, otherwise will be overshadowed by the opening 0-3 "step back" loss

I think he meant by the whole world, not just from a US perspective.

From a neutral point of view, the game had everything, red cards, disallowed goal, own goal, controversy, tremendous effort - definitely a match to remember
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #1573
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Lots of players with heart but sub World Class talent, and a couple of talented players with very little heart.

I think that's true for the most part, but I think McBride and Reyna have talent and heart. Beasley, OTOH... talent undoubtably, but lacks heart.

Quote:

I wasn't aware that the US fans were the only ones who'd look back and remember the 2006 World Cup.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #1574
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
I don't get that though. 8-1 is pretty serious underdogs.

8-1 is for a win, i think it was 3-1 for draw. ends up being around 40-45% that they dont lose.

note: just betting lines
Old 06-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #1575
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
dont buy it, Johnson would give you so much more. even if Bruce wanted McBride in, that still doesn't explain why he didn't make a sub, a lot of tired players out there. no excuse, i remain incredulous over this, Bruce wears the Dunce Cap on this one.

I agree, when there's space and tiring players, a striker with pace could have found gaps. Maybe they were thinking McBride had the strength to be an outlet and hold up the ball, but he didn't seem to do that either.

I'd like to see Johnson play in the last game, would be worth taking a chance. McBride has been poor in the EPL recently (1 goal this year), so maybe the long years and the age are catching up with him.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #1576
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In addition to the 'sub McBride' camp... what happens if a player gets injured? 10 v 8 would have easily led to a goal. I'm sure Arena was taking that into account.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #1577
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
He's not a US fan and while I dont think he is unbias, I dont think he is biased either.

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #1578
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think that's true for the most part, but I think McBride and Reyna have talent and heart. Beasley, OTOH... talent undoubtably, but lacks heart.

Reyna definitely - I think he would make any national squad. Really impressed with him the past season at Man City, and in the WC so far. McBride - god Arena needs to give him somebody to play up front with. Johnson's game could complement his really nicely and give McBride the space he needs, but at the moment he's just a sitting duck. Lot's of huff and puff but nothing to show for it.

The other talented one who doesn't have much heart IMO is Donovan. He has good moments but for every good moment there are two lazy WTF moments. He just doesn't seem to want it enough and I think his time in Germany and his attitude towards not wanting to play in a league where he can't dominate backs that up.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #1579
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
I wasn't aware that the US fans were the only ones who'd look back and remember the 2006 World Cup.

i dont see this as being the best/remerable game of the entire tournament (wait and see some of the knockout games). some neutrals will remember the 1-1, some the 0-3
Old 06-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #1580
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

It makes sense in my head..
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #1581
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i dont see this as being the best/remerable game of the entire tournament (wait and see some of the knockout games). some neutrals will remember the 1-1, some the 0-3

I dont think this was even the best match today. Ghana/Czech gets that award in my mind.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #1582
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy shit people....5 hours and you add 11 freaking PAGES!

Good job by the US today, showed heart, showed promise. Too bad that ref destroyed what could have been a truly amazing match.

Lets hope we thrash Ghana and teh Czech's continue to disintigrate.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #1583
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Look at everything that happened in this game. As someone said earlier, the Swedish commentators were saying (paraphrasing): what's next, a helicopter falls on the pitch?

This was one of those games with everything you could possibly think of. People remember those type of games. Perhaps we'll have a back and forth QF or SF games, but this game will be remembered for a while.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #1584
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
In addition to the 'sub McBride' camp... what happens if a player gets injured? 10 v 8 would have easily led to a goal. I'm sure Arena was taking that into account.

i suppose, granted the Italians had the man advantage but they made their last sub on the 61st. it's a chance you have to take, by the 80th or 85th play the ace in the whole
Old 06-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #1585
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just saying is all

Hmm, I find myself agreeing with a Bruin, what has the world come to? I also agree with Daedalus.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #1586
Easy Mac

But who was going to outlet it to the ace in the whole? Beasley didn't care. Reyna couldn't make a 5 yard pass. Donovan was dead. An outlet from the back and Johnson's best chance is if someone misses a header. He won't outjump them, so long kicks from Keller are pointless to push the ball forward. He would have been stranded, and he's a less surefooted defender.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #1587
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Look at everything that happened in this game. As someone said earlier, the Swedish commentators were saying (paraphrasing): what's next, a helicopter falls on the pitch?

This was one of those games with everything you could possibly think of. People remember those type of games. Perhaps we'll have a back and forth QF or SF games, but this game will be remembered for a while.

i'm not trying to minimize the game, so forgive me for that. the game as a stand alone will be remember, but what happens thursday will make even greater, or something like this...US fan "remeber when we drew against Italy with only 9 men"...neutral "wasn't that the only point you got that tournament"
Old 06-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #1588
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I know it would have pissed Beasley off more, but taking Beasley off wouldn't have been so bad after the 80th .
Old 06-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #1589
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i'm not trying to minimize the game, so forgive me for that. the game as a stand alone will be remember, but what happens thursday will make even greater, or something like this...US fan "remeber when we drew against Italy with only 9 men"...neutral "wasn't that the only point you got that tournament"

Why are you just looking at this from the perspective of a US fan? I'm talking about what the world remembers as exciting and fun games.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #1590
Karim
College Starter

I really wish this team had shown up against the Czech Republic.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #1591
Critch
lolzcat

Interesting stat from today is that the US didn't have a single shot on target over the 90 mins.

My cat has fallen asleep on the tv remote so I have to read stuff like this instead of turn over the tv and move on.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #1592
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I loved this game. I gave the U.S. no chance at even a draw against Italy after the game on Monday versus the Czechs.

This team played a million times better (though I am far from the best judge of that). I will remember this game for a long time personally, and though it is not a win I am proud of the U.S. team for the fight they showed.

I understand the 'own goal' by Italy was our only score, but I don't look at this 'own goal' as a complete fluke either. The U.S. was puttinga lot of pressure on the Italians, and I kind of see it as a forced error due to tis pressure. Maybe it's not the correct way to look at it, but I kind of see it that way. Hey, I'm a homer ok?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #1593
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I loved this game. I gave the U.S. no chance at even a draw against Italy after the game on Monday versus the Czechs.

This team played a million times better (though I am far from the best judge of that). I will remember this game for a long time personally, and though it is not a win I am proud of the U.S. team for the fight they showed.

I understand the 'own goal' by Italy was our only score, but I don't look at this 'own goal' as a complete fluke either. The U.S. was puttinga lot of pressure on the Italians, and I kind of see it as a forced error due to tis pressure. Maybe it's not the correct way to look at it, but I kind of see it that way. Hey, I'm a homer ok?

pride and 50 cents will buy you a candybar.

results are all that matters, and close only matters in horseshoes and hand-grenades.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #1594
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

and getting a result via an own-goal is like kissing your sister
Old 06-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #1595
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
dola

and getting a result via an own-goal is like kissing your sister

Did you see the US celebration after the own-goal? non-existent
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #1596
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Did you see the US celebration after the own-goal? non-existent

I noticed that. I was watching with foreign langauge commentary so I wasn't sure if it was a goal the response was so muted and the Italians seemed to be laughing.

Better get ready to cheer on Australia when they play Brazil tomorrow. 2nd place in the US group plays first in that group, so Brazil losing would be good for the US.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #1597
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Who could imagine that with your comments eariler in the thread?

Ummm my comments that your consiracy theories and your being blind to the facts because of your ultra homerism paints me as an England fan? Fans of ANY country can see that you have no clue in hell what you are talking about.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #1598
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
pride and 50 cents will buy you a candybar.

results are all that matters, and close only matters in horseshoes and hand-grenades.

Being 0-2 would be done, being 0-1-1 still gives the U.S. a chance.

And as I maybe didn't make clear enough, I am not exactly an expert here. My enjoyment of football/soccer is pretty new, so I am still picking up on a lot of the goods/bads/that kind of stuff. I watched some of the last few WCs, but never really got too much into it. My kid playing soccer in the fall for the first time, alongwith a couple Houston games this year have reall gotten me into it though, for good. Paying this much attention to an international competition is pretty new to me.

Trust me, I was disappointed in not getting a win. With the first 10 minutes of the game gone I really started to believe the U.S. could win. Big picture though, I am happy there is a chance to move on still, even if it has to be against Brazil. I understand guys with more knowledge can sit and pick on this and that, give me a couple more WCs and maybe I will be right along with them.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #1599
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I was watching the game through unbiased eyes.

In Golden Eagle's eyes the only unbiased fan is a USA fan.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 06-17-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #1600
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911
In Golden Eagle's eyes the only unbiased fan is a USA fan.

And he suspects 90% of them are undercover euro-snobs too.