Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #1551
nol
Banned

Should have been more confident to predict the Lakers going under. They're looking comical thus far.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #1552
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

There's a chance Jimmy Butler is about to be paid a lot of money next summer.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #1553
korme
Go Reds

Pistons deal Will Bynum to C's for Joel Anthony.

#hugetrade
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #1554
samifan24
Pro Starter

Any FOFC fantasy hoops leagues this year? If so and you need another please PM me. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #1555
korme
Go Reds

I can renew the one from last year
Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #1556
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 2m 2 minutes ago

The NBA draft lottery reform has been voted down at Board of Governors meeting, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. System stays.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 11s 11 seconds ago

Thirteen teams voted against the reform, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #1557
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

photo tank_zps8b5809e7.jpg
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 10-22-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #1558
molson
General Manager

I wish the league could just take the 8 or so bottom teams who will not be attempting to win games this year and put them in Vegas to practice all year for the "future" instead of wasting everyone's time and littering the schedule with basketball exhibitions in which only one of the two teams wants to win. Though, I guess what I'm describing is the playoffs, which, by no coincidence, is the only time you need pay attention.

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2014 at 10:39 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #1559
gstelmack
Pro Starter

What if you could only participate in the lottery if your ticket prices were less than half the league average?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #1560
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wish the league could just take the 8 or so bottom teams who will not be attempting to win games this year and put them in Vegas to practice all year for the "future" instead of wasting everyone's time and littering the schedule with basketball exhibitions in which only one of the two teams wants to win. Though, I guess what I'm describing is the playoffs, which, by no coincidence, is the only time you need pay attention.
Still disagree. One team is actively tanking. Others like Minnesota and Milwaukee and Boston and Orlando and Utah are just young and not good - but each one has players I want to watch. Heck, there are at least two teams (Indy/Lakers) who probably should be tanking and aren't.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #1561
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Still disagree. One team is actively tanking. Others like Minnesota and Milwaukee and Boston and Orlando and Utah are just young and not good - but each one has players I want to watch. Heck, there are at least two teams (Indy/Lakers) who probably should be tanking and aren't.

The players are surely trying. But why would those organizations be trying to win? In terms of the players they bring in, substitution patterns, etc. I just don't buy it. The doubt is enough. The only guy dumb enough to talk about it out loud was M.L. Carr (who talked about pulling players from the game if they got on a hot shooting streak.) I don't believe he's the only guy in history who ever did it, so it's tough to watch a game involving one of these teams. The original purpose of the lottery was to change that perception, it wasn't because every team was necessary tanking. A weighed lottery serves absolutely no purpose because there is still an incentive to lose. To win in the NBA you need superstars, and to get superstars you usually need to be at the top of the draft. The way to get there is to lose games, so of course franchises intentionally lose games.

Edit: And even if you can get that doubt of your mind, the draft order and weighted lottery still makes it tough to follow one of these teams. Even if you knew going in that your team was rebuilding, and that it was going to be young and bad, it could still be fun to follow that team and to try to see, for example, the Celtics make a little run and get close to playoffs or something, with all their young players making big steps in their progression along the way. The way up can be fun. But as a fan, I'm not sure if I should even root for that. As a Celtics fan, the way the NBA is setup, isn't it better for this franchise to go 0-82? So am I supposed to actually root for them to lose every game? When exactly am I supposed to root for them to win again? When they have the talent to make the playoffs? Get to .500? Win a championship? It'd all be cleaner and easier and more fun if I could just root for my team to win all the games that they play in. You can't really do that in the NBA unless you're able to willfully ignore the way the system is setup. I'm sure there will be a few people at these Sixers game this year, and some of them will cheer their team on. But why? Probably just because they're having a fun drunken night on the town or whatever, but really, they're cheering against their team's interest by rooting for them to do well.

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #1562
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The players are surely trying. But why would those organizations be trying to win? In terms of the players they bring in, substitution patterns, etc. I just don't buy it. The doubt is enough. The only guy dumb enough to talk about it out loud was M.L. Carr (who talked about pulling players from the game if they got on a hot shooting streak.) I don't believe he's the only guy in history who ever did it, so it's tough to watch a game involving one of these teams. The original purpose of the lottery was to change that perception, it wasn't because every team was necessary tanking. A weighed lottery serves absolutely no purpose because there is still an incentive to lose. To win in the NBA you need superstars, and to get superstars you usually need to be at the top of the draft. The way to get there is to lose games, so of course franchises intentionally lose games.

Edit: And even if you can get that doubt of your mind, the draft order and weighted lottery still makes it tough to follow one of these teams. Even if you knew going in that your team was rebuilding, and that it was going to be young and bad, it could still be fun to follow that team and to try to see, for example, the Celtics make a little run and get close to playoffs or something, with all their young players making big steps in their progression along the way. The way up can be fun. But as a fan, I'm not sure if I should even root for that. As a Celtics fan, the way the NBA is setup, isn't it better for this franchise to go 0-82? So am I supposed to actually root for them to lose every game? When exactly am I supposed to root for them to win again? When they have the talent to make the playoffs? Get to .500? Win a championship? It'd all be cleaner and easier and more fun if I could just root for my team to win all the games that they play in.
If teams really were tanking, it'd be most obvious in the last few games when teams are already eliminated, right? Yet I was scoreboard watching during those games, and the Celtics were trying to win... The Jazz were trying to win... Matter of fact every team except Milwaukee won at least 2 of their final 8 games.

You even put up an edit basically pointing out that the Celtics clearly aren't "tanking". Brad Stevens, Marcus Smart, Ramon Rondo clearly aren't the type of people who are ever trying to lose a game. Danny Ainge has shown no problem making radical moves, yet solid NBA rotation players with no chance of turning into a superstar like Brandon Bass and Jeff Green and Evan Turner are still on the team. Their scoring differential was less than 5 points per game, and it probably will be again this year.

If you don't want to watch because you're conflicted as a fan, fine, but it's pretty clear that an NBA team/coach actually showing up to a game hoping to lose is an *extremely* rare event - Golden State? trying desperately to lose the last game a few years ago, Houston/Dallas? trying to lose the last game and get a more favorable playoff matchup... And this entire 76ers season, which has clearly pissed a lot of other NBA front office personnel off. If more teams actually adhered to the tanking philosophy, instead of just being bad, there wouldn't be this uproar against Philly.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #1563
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If teams really were tanking, it'd be most obvious in the last few games when teams are already eliminated, right? Yet I was scoreboard watching during those games, and the Celtics were trying to win... The Jazz were trying to win... Matter of fact every team except Milwaukee won at least 2 of their final 8 games.

You even put up an edit basically pointing out that the Celtics clearly aren't "tanking". Brad Stevens, Marcus Smart, Ramon Rondo clearly aren't the type of people who are ever trying to lose a game. Danny Ainge has shown no problem making radical moves, yet solid NBA rotation players with no chance of turning into a superstar like Brandon Bass and Jeff Green and Evan Turner are still on the team. Their scoring differential was less than 5 points per game, and it probably will be again this year.

If you don't want to watch because you're conflicted as a fan, fine, but it's pretty clear that an NBA team/coach actually showing up to a game hoping to lose is an *extremely* rare event - Golden State? trying desperately to lose the last game a few years ago, Houston/Dallas? trying to lose the last game and get a more favorable playoff matchup... And this entire 76ers season, which has clearly pissed a lot of other NBA front office personnel off. If more teams actually adhered to the tanking philosophy, instead of just being bad, there wouldn't be this uproar against Philly.

Good points. Tanking probably isn't as widespread as I think that it is when I'm at my most cynical. The thoughts will linger if I see things that are hard to explain other ways though. And I still don't know what to make of these games involving these teams. When you watch the Celtics, are you rooting for them to win, or to lose, or is it more passive and you're just watching the players and seeing if they might help down the road? Would you rather them win 38 games and just miss the playoffs (or get the #8 seed) or 15?

I think it's weird that fans of a team could watch a game together and have different ideas about what they want the outcome of the game to be. That's a huge turn-off to me in investing in a team, but I get that others might approach it differently.

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #1564
whomario
Pro Starter

The Holy Hand of Brazil «

nice feature on Oscar
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #1565
Logan
Head Coach

I'd think it's passive and similar to other sports when teams are eliminated from playoff contention. There are millions of fans who were watching baseball games throughout September when they knew their team wasn't going to the postseason. Thousands more watch hockey beyond the point where there is hope (kidding there, millions too). You watch because it's still a form of entertainment and they're your team and you want to see how they play day in and day out, and how those players could end up helping you the following season and beyond.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #1566
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Good points. Tanking probably isn't as widespread as I think that it is when I'm at my most cynical. The thoughts will linger if I see things that are hard to explain other ways though. And I still don't know what to make of these games involving these teams. When you watch the Celtics, are you rooting for them to win, or to lose, or is it more passive and you're just watching the players and seeing if they might help down the road? Would you rather them win 38 games and just miss the playoffs (or get the #8 seed) or 15?

I think it's weird that fans of a team could watch a game together and have different ideas about what they want the outcome of the game to be. That's a huge turn-off to me in investing in a team, but I get that others might approach it differently.
I actually support trading Bass/Green (Rondo's just a whole different category) and increasing our chances to lose, but outside of a couple specific late season games where it was obvious the win(loss) mattered I rooted for the C's to win any game they played. Although I also didn't mind if they lost a close game.

The 38 win scenario is also a gray area. If it's because Marcus Smart wins RoY, Avery Bradley shows his 3-pt shooting improvement was real, and Kelly Olynyk averages the 16/11 for a whole season he did for the last 10 games? Sign me up. If it's because Rondo goes on a tear the last 2 months after the trade deadline or Gerald Wallace turns back into an average NBA starter? Not so much.

At the base, I like watching sports. I love watching prospects develop. But even though I post a ton, I don't get emotionally invested in pro teams, which probably helps me have some detachment. I coach teams for a living, I play in multiple meaningless to anyone outside them men's leagues, but emotionally I'm not going to walk around depressed because the Celtics lost a game the night before. Why would I care more about the outcome of games I have no control over than those I do?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-22-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #1567
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A True Genius Remade The '90210' Intro With Minnesota Timberwolves
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #1568
Atocep
Coordinator

Why didn't the Astros receive the same amount of flak for tanking? The Cubs?

I just don't understand why it's seen as an effective means of team building in other sports but there's so much outrage over NBA teams doing it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #1569
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I just don't understand why it's seen as an effective means of team building in other sports but there's so much outrage over NBA teams doing it.

I think baseball gets more of a pass on this over basketball for two reasons. The minor reason is that even a bad baseball team generally is capable of winning a third of the time, while shitty basketball squads can go for weeks or months without a win. Next, the baseball draft is generally understood to be a long term fix, requiring multiple "hits" to be successful, and with a high chance of any individual pick being a bust. Consequently, the pressure is off to maximize draft position. Basketball, on the other hand, you only need the right guy or two to succeed, and so when legitimately bad teams see rivals throwing assets away or not even trying to get good, only to be rewarded with generational talent, it rankles.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #1570
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Nationals ffs.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #1571
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I think baseball gets more of a pass on this over basketball for two reasons. The minor reason is that even a bad baseball team generally is capable of winning a third of the time, while shitty basketball squads can go for weeks or months without a win.

Where this always gets derailed for me is that everything is looking at the almighty statistic of winning percentage and assuming it has some constant correlation across sports with how good a team is/how hard a team played. If you simulate a baseball game in which one team has a lineup of .250 hitters and the other team has a lineup of .300 hitters (assuming no errors and the same quality of pitcher for both sides), the .250 hitters will win a decent amount of the time due to randomness.

A basketball game has so many more opportunities for one team to prove it's better than the other. A team full of 50% shooters will beat a team of 45% shooters a much higher percentage of the time, and that's before factoring in how a basketball game will most often be contested among each team's best players while baseball has pitching rotations to consider.

Last edited by nol : 10-22-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #1572
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Nationals ffs.

For all the hype, Strasburg and Harper have been 4 win players apiece. Those are good blocks, but Washington sucked mostly because Jim Bowden ran a team that MLB carved up when the Expos were a ward of the league, not because they intentionally tried to lose.

No, for an abortion of a franchise that deserves to get contracted, look towards any team that got three of the last four #1 overall picks. THAT team is a fucking joke.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:11 AM   #1573
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They just so happened to lose hard enough the b2b years that the best pitching prospect in a decade was in the draft and then followed it up by tanking the next year when a hitting savant was in the draft. Not buying it.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #1574
korme
Go Reds

Just ordered league pass at $199.

Here's what I don't get- I imagine I will use the LeaguePass Digital more often (through my PS4, laptop or cell phone)... so why is LP Digital the same price as cable + digital? Didn't make sense for me to not just grab it all.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #1575
nol
Banned

This is probably the end for Steve Nash's career. He won't play this season due to a nerve issue.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #1576
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
This is probably the end for Steve Nash's career. He won't play this season due to a nerve issue.

My reaction when I heard the news was the same. Too many setbacks. Know when to say when.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #1577
Kodos
Resident Alien

Steve Nash of Los Angeles Lakers to miss entire season - ESPN Los Angeles

Hate to see Nash's career end so poorly, but at least he's been screwing over the Lakers for 3 years now.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #1578
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They also have to give up their pick for him if it isn't in the top 5, so it gets better. Nash still has one more bullet left.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #1579
korme
Go Reds

Amazing.

statmuse
Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #1580
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

That is slick.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #1581
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
They also have to give up their pick for him if it isn't in the top 5, so it gets better. Nash still has one more bullet left.

I think it's only top 3 protected. I'm hoping the league bails us out this year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #1582
Groundhog
Coordinator

Two Aussies were waived - Joe Ingles by the Clippers and Brock Motum by the Jazz. Looks like the Jazz may have claimed Ingles however, probably due to his relationship with Exum more than anything else, although IMO he should be able to provide something for them on the court too.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #1583
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think it's only top 3 protected. I'm hoping the league bails us out this year

Top 5
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #1584
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Cavs are going to win 65+ games and the title. In the words of GroundCat, "Write it down!"
Old 10-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #1585
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The Cavs are going to win 65+ games and the title. In the words of GroundCat, "Write it down!"

I'm concerned about our post defense. We will score enough points in the regular season, but come playoffs/finals it's going to be interesting.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #1586
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Amazing.

statmuse

Awesome.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #1587
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm concerned about our post defense. We will score enough points in the regular season, but come playoffs/finals it's going to be interesting.

We're going to get roughly 30 wide open 3s a night. It's going to be ugly. Aussie Matt Dellevedova is my frontrunner for most overpaid next summer. He'll play good D and probably hit over 50% from 3.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #1588
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
We're going to get roughly 30 wide open 3s a night. It's going to be ugly. Aussie Matt Dellevedova is my frontrunner for most overpaid next summer. He'll play good D and probably hit over 50% from 3.

Delly's got a great basketball IQ and works hard to make up for his lack of athleticism on defense, but his ceiling will never be too high though because of that lack of athleticism and how passive he is on offense.

In the warm up games leading up to the World Championships he was playing like a poor man's Tony Parker - getting into the lane and hitting floaters over everyone. Then the tournament starts and he's back to shooting only open 3s. Like you say though, he'll have lots of opportunities to shoot those.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #1589
korme
Go Reds

Had my fantasy auction draft tonight, 14-team league.

Aside from Boogie, I held out on pricey players and settled for a bunch of 'above average' guys. We'll see how my strategy pans out, I'm projected for 4th place. Here's my roster.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #1590
Groundhog
Coordinator

Just put in my week 1 tips and man, that's a tough start for the Lakers.