Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2003, 03:10 AM   #1551
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Agreed. Whitney probably wont put up the same kind of numbers he did in Columbus, but depending on who the Wings get for Joseph, he could see some decent icetime. If the Wings get a decent center, then I would pencil Whitney into Robitaille's slot, meaning third or fourth line. At the moment the Wings forward lines look something like this:

Shanahan - Yzerman - ???
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hull
Maltby - Draper - McCarty
Whitney - Williams - Devereaux

As you can see the departure of Robitaille, Larionov, and Fedorov have left some holes on the team. Williams could play right wing with Yzerman or I imagine Whitney could be moved up. The Wings have been pretty flexible with their forwards throughout the years. The Whitney/Williams/Devereaux line could be interesting because the Wingers would have decent speed. That being said Devereaux really struggled last year. It's also possible that we could see Dandenault be moved back to forward due to the Wings current glut of defensemen.

I like the signing. The Wings need more punch and speed up front and Whitney provides it. That being said, Ray has been sort of an "expansion superstar" for the latter part of his career. It'll be interesting to see what he does and where he fits in on a team like the Wings.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:20 AM   #1552
Karim
College Starter

Hmm...

HB's comments about Robitaille being the highest scoring LW in history begs the question...

Lucky Luc or the Golden Jet
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #1553
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Whitney is the best pickup the Wings could have made...and if Lidstrom can teach him a few defensive moves, he could be a decent contributer.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:06 AM   #1554
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
It's also possible that we could see Dandenault be moved back to forward due to the Wings current glut of defensemen.

The Wings also picked up a d-man yesterday so I could definitely see them doing something like this.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:25 AM   #1555
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
The Wings also picked up a d-man yesterday so I could definitely see them doing something like this.

Yeah, they picked up Jamie Rivers. He's a journey-man defensemen who has seen some time in the NHL, but will primarily be used as a veteran presence in Grand Rapids. If Rivers ever puts on the Winged Wheel something has gone horribly... horribly wrong.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:30 AM   #1556
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I was just going to say the same thing, Blue. Jamie Rivers isn't an NHL caliber player anymore.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:30 AM   #1557
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
Hmm...

HB's comments about Robitaille being the highest scoring LW in history begs the question...

Lucky Luc or the Golden Jet

I would have to go with Hull. He was more deadly when at the height of his career than Robitaille and has remained more effective in his twilight years.

Back in my first Strat-o-matic season (which I think was the 1990-1991 season) we actually had to ban the Brett Hull card. Ban it outright. It was ridiculous.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 AM   #1558
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, they picked up Jamie Rivers. He's a journey-man defensemen who has seen some time in the NHL, but will primarily be used as a veteran presence in Grand Rapids. If Rivers ever puts on the Winged Wheel something has gone horribly... horribly wrong.

I know, but, nonetheless, it still adds more depth. I'm not saying he is going to be in the top six but he's there, and as far as I know, it was an NHL contract he signed, not a minor-league deal.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:46 AM   #1559
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Let's put it this way...he was waived by the Florida Panthers.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #1560
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hockey fans...

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

I have to write a chapter on competition in the NHL for a game, and unfortunately, I haven't written it yet. (I hope you aren't reading this, Riz!)
Anyway, I need a site with the official format that the NHL uses to create the schedules, determine interleague play, seed for the playoffs, etc. I know some of this stuff off of the top of my head, but I want to make sure it's right before I commit my name to it. And here I thought this would be an easy task! I searched for a couple of hours last night, but was coming up empty. Please help!!

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:15 PM   #1561
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I was just going to say the same thing, Blue. Jamie Rivers isn't an NHL caliber player anymore.

Was he ever??

He was a fantastic Junior though

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:22 AM   #1562
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hockey fans...

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!

I have to write a chapter on competition in the NHL for a game, and unfortunately, I haven't written it yet. (I hope you aren't reading this, Riz!)
Anyway, I need a site with the official format that the NHL uses to create the schedules, determine interleague play, seed for the playoffs, etc. I know some of this stuff off of the top of my head, but I want to make sure it's right before I commit my name to it. And here I thought this would be an easy task! I searched for a couple of hours last night, but was coming up empty. Please help!!

Thanks!

Yeah I can't find anything. I find it funny that the NHL Guidelines are not on NHL.com or published anywhere on the internet. You'd most likely find them in the NHL Rules book that they publish every year (which might explain their cyber absence)

As far as the schedule goes, I found this, but it's not official.

Quote:
The coming season is heavy on intra-division play. Under the new format, each team plays its divisional rivals six times, other conference opponents four times, and each team from the other conference at least once.

In all, 78 percent of the NHL's 1,230 games will be between conference rivals.

No mention of who gets home and away games for the one offs, but the divisional rivals and conference opponents would be split.

For the playoffs, this is from NHL.com

Quote:
1998-99 - The NHL's clubs were re-aligned into two conferences each consisting of three divisions. The number of teams qualifying for the Stanley Cup Playoffs remained unchanged at 16.

First-round playoff berths were awarded to the first-place team in each division as well as to the next five best teams based on regular-season point totals in each conference. The three division winners in each conference were seeded first through third for the playoffs and the next five best teams, in order of points, were seeded fourth through eighth. In each conference, the team seeded #1 played #8; #2 vs. #7; #3 vs. #6; and #4 vs. #5 in the quarterfinal round. Home-ice in the Conference Quarterfinals was granted to those teams seeded first through fourth in each conference.

In the Conference Semifinals and Conference Finals, teams were re-seeded according to the same criteria as the Conference Quarterfinals. Higher seeded teams gained home-ice advantage.

Home-ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals to be determined by points.

All series remain best-of-seven.

Tiebreakers is from NHL.com as well (you can find the link here )

Quote:
The tie-breaking procedures for two or more clubs tied in points at the end of the regular season, will be determined in the following order:

1) The greater number of games won between the teams.

2) The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, then the points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs shall be used to determine the standing.

3) The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

Hope that helps.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:21 AM   #1563
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I would have to go with Hull. He was more deadly when at the height of his career than Robitaille and has remained more effective in his twilight years.

Back in my first Strat-o-matic season (which I think was the 1990-1991 season) we actually had to ban the Brett Hull card. Ban it outright. It was ridiculous.

Actually, that's Golden Jet, not Golden Brett. Brett is a RW, while daddy played LW.

Not having seen Bobby play, I still have to go with him based on clips I've seen and things I've heard. Boom Boom might have started the slapshot but Bobby perfected it and in a time of limited goalie equipment, he must have been one of the most intimidating players coming down the left wing at full speed. Plus, he usually used to waste one around the goalie's ears early in the game.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:55 AM   #1564
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Actually, that's Golden Jet, not Golden Brett. Brett is a RW, while daddy played LW.

Not having seen Bobby play, I still have to go with him based on clips I've seen and things I've heard. Boom Boom might have started the slapshot but Bobby perfected it and in a time of limited goalie equipment, he must have been one of the most intimidating players coming down the left wing at full speed. Plus, he usually used to waste one around the goalie's ears early in the game.

Yes. You are right. Of course you are right. Jet lag is a horrible thing. Causes all sorts of troubles for a lad. I am still sticking with the Hulls. Older or younger. Luc is great, but he had his best seasons playing along side Gretzky. I would imagine if Hull the Elder played on Gretzky's left there would be all sorts of records shattered.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:02 AM   #1565
klayman
College Benchwarmer

hehe...that reminds me of a quote Sather made once. "Even a fire hydrant could score goals playing along side Gretzky." I'm sure it had something to do with somebody's contract, but can't remember who it was. Gretzky, of course, wasn't pleased with the comment.

Funny enough, a couple of weeks later Sather scored 2 goals playing on Gretzky's line in some charity event. He was beeming, considering I think he only scored about 7 goals in his hockey career. When the reporters asked Gretzky about it, he just shrugged and said "So what? Even a fire hydrant could score two goals in a charity event playing with Gretzky."
Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 AM   #1566
Karim
College Starter

I read an article where Gretsky recently played with Sidney Crosby during some sort of camp. WG proclaimed that Crosby is the real deal and could legitimately break his records.

Of course, Crosby was stunned. No presure or anything...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:07 AM   #1567
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Yeah I can't find anything. I find it funny that the NHL Guidelines are not on NHL.com or published anywhere on the internet. You'd most likely find them in the NHL Rules book that they publish every year (which might explain their cyber absence)

As far as the schedule goes, I found this, but it's not official.

No mention of who gets home and away games for the one offs, but the divisional rivals and conference opponents would be split.

For the playoffs, this is from NHL.com

Tiebreakers is from NHL.com as well (you can find the link here )

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Every little bit does help!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:18 AM   #1568
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Karim, the Flames just signed ex-Wings defensemen Jesse Wallin. It's sad to see Wallin go. The Wings really held onto him for a long, long time, hoping he'd develope into the solid, physical stay-at-home defensemen they envisioned when they drafted him in the first round. I think he started coming along, but his career has been plagued by injuries which really slowed down his progress.

From all accounts he's a great team guy. A good leader, great in the community, all that. He's a solid, if totally unspectacular defensemen. He isn't mean and wont level people with bone-crushing checks, but has decent size, can be physical and has been known to drop the gloves on the rare occassion.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy and get some ice time in Calgary and develop into the player the Wings always hoped he would. A decent player who, I think, is worth signing. Certainly adds a little depth if nothing else.

Man, you know it's a slow time of the year when I spend 3 paragraphs talking about Jesse Wallin.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-01-2003, 08:22 AM   #1569
henry296
College Starter

Penguins signed Kelly Buchberger and Mike Eastwood. Wow, defensive minded forwards in Pittsburgh, I thought I'd never see that.

Oh yeah, one more signing.... Lemiuex is back.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:27 AM   #1570
Karim
College Starter

Thanks HB. It must a depth move because we actually have a lot of fairly decent defencemen. I know over at a Flames board we've been wondering where the scoring is going to come from (outside of Iggy).

Lydman - Warrener
Leopold - Regehr
Ference - Gauthier
Montador - Commodore
Wallin

We also signed Krystof Oliwa... probably as a counter to Worrell who Sutter was persuing but couldn't give as much as Colorado.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:55 AM   #1571
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

We also signed Krystof Oliwa... probably as a counter to Worrell who Sutter was persuing but couldn't give as much as Colorado.

Wow. Oliwa. He's like a destitute man's Worrell. He's really bad and not even all that great when it comes to puglisim either. He's willing, I guess. That's the one thing he's got going for him.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:19 AM   #1572
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn....for that kinda money i'd be willing too .

Karim you answered your own question...You asked where the Flames will get their scoring this season...and right underneath you say that they signed Oliwa

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:46 AM   #1573
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Stanley Cup lost in transit

Quote:
Stanley Cup gets lost in transit

Pavel Barta. Special to canada.com

Friday, August 01, 2003

The first-ever visit of the Stanley Cup to Slovakia was delayed when the Austrian Airlines regular flight from Vienna to Kosice landed in the Eastern Slovakian city Thursday afternoon with two NHL guards but no Cup.

New Jersey Devils defenceman Jiri Bicek was expected to show the Stanley Cup in a celebration on the city's main street and the party was supposed to last till Friday noon when defenceman Richard Smehlik would help bring it to Ostrava.

After frantic search, the Cup was found at Toronto's Pearson International Airport: it never left the ground.

While agreeing a situation like this hasn't happened in the last 100 years, one of the NHL guards, Walter Neubrand, said these things still can happen -- "We don't live in a perfect world. After all, it does happen that airline passengers can't find their luggage on arrival."

Still, the delay throws a monkey-wrench in the celebrations in Slovakia and the Czech Republic: even if the Cup makes it on the next flight out of Toronto, parties at Kosice, Ostrava and Znojmo and Trebic, the latter two hosted by forward Patrik Elias, would have to be re-arranged at the last minute or it may happen that at least one of the players will host his party in the Cup's absence.

Following celebrations in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, the Stanley Cup is supposed to travel to Russia.

Hahaha...it's the closest the Leafs have been to Cup in 30 years.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #1574
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
Stanley Cup lost in transit

Hahaha...it's the closest the Leafs have been to Cup in 30 years.

I saw that story on FARK last night with the headline "Airline, bored with losing luggage, loses Stanley Cup instead"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:48 AM   #1575
Karim
College Starter

It turns out Wallin actually contacted Darryl Sutter to see if there was room on the Flames (he's from Alberta and married an Alberta girl). I don't remember the last time any player has taken that kind of initiative to play in Calgary.

At the time, Sutter said no because we had enough defencemen. They both then ended up bumping into each other in a charity golf tournament and Wallin again pleaded his case. With the subtraction of Boughner, I guess Wallin got his wish.

HB,

What is his upside? There is a lot of debate among Flames fans as to whether he's AHL/emergency call-up filler or a legitimate 5th or 6th defenceman.

Last edited by Karim : 08-04-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #1576
Karim
College Starter

Looks like Pavel Bure's career might be over...

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/2361.htm
Old 08-04-2003, 12:19 PM   #1577
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Karim,

It's really hard to tell, to be honest. He never really got a decent shot to play. He did play in around 32 games or so last year. Those account for almost over half the amount of NHL games he played in over his entire 5 year career.

Like I mentioned earlier a lot of his early development was hampered by injuries. I think he suffered a nasty abdominal type injury which kept him out the better part of one year and a shoulder injury as well. It seemed like whenever he was poised to make his move into the bigs he'd fall on bad luck.

Wallin was also around during the Bowman "I'd rather trade for 40 year old ex-Toronto defensemen (see: Murphy, Macoun, Gill, etc.) then play a kid on the blue-line" era, Wallin never got a proper shot at establishing himself as a NHL-caliber defensemen.

On top of all that, I think the Wings spent their number one (or highest) pick almost every year in the 90's (there were some exceptions, Primeau and LaPointe, for example) on defensemen. There always seemed to be someone a little more intruiging than Wallin. This was mainly because of size and the Wings' desparate need for toughness and grit along the blue line. The Wings had a glut of big, goofy defensemen the likes of Yan Gobulsky, Maxim Kuzenetsov, and Jiri Fischer (the only one of the three that ever panned out was big Jiri). Because each of these players were about 3"-5" taller and probably around 30-50 lbs. heavier (not too mention healthier) they all got their shot before Wallin.

He was basically drafted and always expected to be a solid, stay-at-home defensemen. A reliable type guy who could be a little physical, but was never going to wow you with physical play or offensive talent. I think he could be a serviceable 5th or 6th defensemen in the league. He's got tremendous character. He did a lot of good in the community in the junior and AHL level. The sotry of him urging to go back to Alberta rings true and adds to that. Given that set of intangibles, a decent amount of talent, and some size, I think you could have a 5 or 6 d-man on your hands.

Funny thing about all this is that Boughner followed a slightly similar career path. Drafted by the Wings. Never really got a chance. Became a free agent.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #1578
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Looks like Pavel Bure's career might be over...

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/2361.htm

Sad news. I always liked the Russian Rocket. Though this could make my "keeper" decision a bit easier. Speaking of which, I need to pick three keepers for my ESPN league. My team is ass. They suck. That being said, I need to keep three players.

Here are the candidates:

Goalies:
Olaf Kolzig
Dominik Hasek

Forwards:
Pavel Bure
Jason Allison
Doug Weight
Patrick Elias
Martin Straka
Owen Nolan
Martin Havlat
Brian Rolston

Defense:
Derek Morris
Sandis Ozolinsh

Any suggestions? I have until Septemeber 1st.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:13 PM   #1579
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Keep Havlat, Straka and Rolston.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #1580
henry296
College Starter

sachmo,

Why not Hasek? I am torn on Straka, he will play with Lemiuex but he was had some injury issues the last 2 years and the Lemiuex line will be shadowed to death because the rest of the team stinks.

Todd
Old 08-04-2003, 02:24 PM   #1581
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I might be alone on this, but I think Hasek is going to be very average this year. I'm not sure if his numbers will carry you as far as the snipers on your team. Of course, that all depends on your scoring system, and it seems everyone has a hardon for the Dominator, so maybe you should go with him instead of Straka.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:48 AM   #1582
Karim
College Starter

Thanks for that HB.

I'd think about Morris too, PP QB with all that firepower on the ice, good shot from the point, deflections, cheap assists, etc., etc.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:03 AM   #1583
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Demitra gets $6.5 million in arbitration. WOW!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:52 AM   #1584
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Demitra gets $6.5 million in arbitration. WOW!

I think $6.5 million is about right, no? He had 93 points last year. Has been in the top 10 in scoring. He's still making $3 million less than Bobby Holik and Keith Tkachuk and Bill Guerin. Seems to be about the right place for Demitra.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #1585
klayman
College Benchwarmer

6.5 is a lot but wasn't he asking for over 8? I think the Blues last offer was 6.25 so that should mean that he'll stay a Blue until at least the trading deadline.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #1586
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I was thinking 5 tops. He is injured a lot, and that seems to affect arbitration.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #1587
bbor
Pro Starter

If the Blues walk away from this deal ..Demitra will be scooped up by someone in no time at all..perhaps the Wings?or the Avs?

I wonder if the Wings would rather have Demitra or Whitney

Old 08-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #1588
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
If the Blues walk away from this deal ..Demitra will be scooped up by someone in no time at all..perhaps the Wings?or the Avs?

I wonder if the Wings would rather have Demitra or Whitney

...then they deserve all bad things that happen to them from now until the end of time.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #1589
Karim
College Starter

The Calgary Flames 2003-04: After seven long years, even West African nations are getting restless for the playoffs.

Last edited by Karim : 08-06-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:02 AM   #1590
bbor
Pro Starter

Is'nt that a Lanny Mcdonald sweater?

Old 08-06-2003, 11:26 AM   #1591
klayman
College Benchwarmer

LOL
Old 08-08-2003, 03:19 AM   #1592
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In a not too shocking development, the Blues decided to re-sign Demetria at the $6.5 million he won in arbitration. It was really the only thing the Blues could do. There is no way they could have let Demetria walk. Not with Detroit in desperate need of a talented forward. Would have been a disaster for the Blues.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:12 PM   #1593
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yay for the Blues!
Old 08-08-2003, 09:12 PM   #1594
bbor
Pro Starter

I think signed Demitra opens the door to a Weight for Cujo deal...IF the Blues can dump Ozzy.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:47 PM   #1595
Karim
College Starter

Hockey reading for a Sunday in August:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/2457.htm

I think J.S. and/or Marty might be hold out material.

Only 39 days until training camp...
Old 08-12-2003, 11:12 AM   #1596
bbor
Pro Starter

Markov signs a 3 year deal with Carolina.I guess him threatening to go back to Russia was a ploy for a new contract..Go figure

Carolina has shored up their blueline nicely with Wesley...Boughner and markov.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:35 PM   #1597
bbor
Pro Starter

Bruins walk away from Berards arbitration ruling of 2.2 million...Berard is now considered a FA.

This is only the 2nd time a team has walked away from the arbitrators ruling.

Anyone remember the other player this happened too?

Initials D.K

Old 08-12-2003, 12:39 PM   #1598
Karim
College Starter

Dmitri Khristich?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:14 AM   #1599
henry296
College Starter

Karim,

Correct. It was the Bruins then too.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:29 AM   #1600
bbor
Pro Starter

Yup.......Boston both times...i'm sure Bruins fans are happy about that.

Training camps open soon.....thank god.

I coach a kids hockey team...and our training cmp starts this weekend...and our first Tournament games start on the 12th of Sept.Hockey off season is TOOOO long...i've been driving my wife nuts