Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #1551
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Bonds is much less guilty than any of those other guys and PED-Rod.

How so?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #1552
cougarfreak
College Starter

I'd love to see the majority of players stop sending in MLBPA dues over this. Tell them they want stronger penalties, and ARoid be damned. Never happen, but it should. I would bet if you polled players 95%+ would support banishment for first offense.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #1553
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder if anyone will claim Rios and/or (to a lesser extent) Lee.

I can see either being really impactful on the pennant race, but without their existing teams kicking in some salary relief, it would pretty high stakes to claim them and risk their teams just allowing them to go.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1554
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The game was pretty bad last night, but the entertainment in the fountains wasn't bad.

http://deadspin.com/royals-fountain-...ght-1041702657

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-06-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #1555
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I've been feeling down on sports in general over the last few weeks because all of the news is about all of this bad stuff that's going on. All everyone talked about yesterday was A-Rod, suspensions and Johnny f-cking football.

No talk about what is happening on the field. It sucks.

And I'd bet for every bad story there 10 for a player seeing some kids at a local hospital, running a camp for kids, donating some money etc... But that doesnt sell news.

Last edited by Danny : 08-06-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #1556
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

An article I think everyone needs to read:

Alex Rodriguez and the True Pink Elephant (Elefante Rosa) in the Room | The Nation

Most relevant part:
Quote:
Almost all the suspended players are from the Dominican Republic. This isn’t coincidence or happenstance. It’s the set-up of our globalized national pastime in the twenty-first century.

Any serious discussion about performance-enhancing drugs and baseball needs to deal with the fact of who is getting caught. Major League owners choose to invest billions of dollars in Latin America to develop talent on the cheap in the school’s baseball academies. In the Dominican Republic, where 40 percent of the country lives below the poverty line, steroids are actually legal and available over the counter.

As Gregg Sarra reported for Newsday in 2009, “Here’s how easy it is to buy anabolic steroids in the Dominican Republic: Walk into the local pharmacy and ask for them.”

Human growth hormones are also available but you need a prescription.

Children get scouted before their tenth birthday, are signed to contracts for peanuts, and their families see baseball—not without reason—as the best shot to escape poverty. The incentive to use steroids weighs on the tweens charged with dragging their families out of poverty. According to my own interviews with major-leaguers who’ve injected their bodies with banned substances, they’re psychologically—if not physically—profoundly addictive.

Look at one of the most prominent people branded with the scarlet “S”, Sammy Sosa. Before his thirteenth birthday, he stitched soles in a shoe factory for, as he remembered, “pennies, just enough to survive.” His choices, as he said, were the cane fields, the army or baseball.

Baseball’s owners prey on this reality. They want to benefit from steroids in the development of talent, and then excoriate those same players when caught on US shores. It’s a context that speaks to the imperial arrogance at the heart of the game. It’s a context right in front of our faces that we are asked not to see. Put simply, MLB owners want to have their anabolic cake and eat it too.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #1557
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

What a fucking load.

A-Rod is from Miami, did those vicious owners prey on him too?
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1558
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Children get scouted before their tenth birthday, are signed to contracts for peanuts

This is definitely not true anymore (dont know if it ever was). If you have the talent, you will get paid plenty of money. In fact, more than someone taken through the draft.

Last edited by Danny : 08-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #1559
rowech
Pro Starter

"Guy uses steroids. He then puts up better numbers than I do. He goes to free agency and gets the years and the money, takes a job I don't get and now I have to scramble during the winter and find another slot. Then, he gets busted for steroids and we use my union dues for his lawyers, his defense and his appeal? And that makes sense to you? That bulls--- is fair?"

-- an American League player
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #1560
Logan
Head Coach

If he can gather 600 of his friends who agree, he might be able to change that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #1561
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah that article is a bit of a stretch. They are most likely all Dominican because A-Rod lived there and was friends with them and recruited them to the agency. There are plenty of clean DR players in MLB(well as far as we know, so lets just say non Bigenesis) Had he been from the South Bronx it might have been a group of friends of his from the South Bronx. What's next? Ryan Braun and how the Holocaust led him to use steroids?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1562
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Not even A-Rod, but ACES

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/8/6...al-ACES-agency

Though this doesn't give the guy a chance to ram his political agenda down our throats, so I can see why he skipped over it.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #1563
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
"Guy uses steroids. He then puts up better numbers than I do. He goes to free agency and gets the years and the money, takes a job I don't get and now I have to scramble during the winter and find another slot. Then, he gets busted for steroids and we use my union dues for his lawyers, his defense and his appeal? And that makes sense to you? That bulls--- is fair?"

-- an American League player

I agree with the second part, but the first part is A-Rod didn't take anyones jpb when he was in FA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #1564
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I agree with the second part, but the first part is A-Rod didn't take anyones jpb when he was in FA

I imagine (although I don't know the source) that that wasn't specific to A-Rod but was just a general venting at players who juice.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1565
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Unless you think A-Rod sans steroids was likely to be employed through 2017 he certainly took someone's job.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #1566
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I can see either being really impactful on the pennant race, but without their existing teams kicking in some salary relief, it would pretty high stakes to claim them and risk their teams just allowing them to go.
I think Lee still offers value for his contract. If we hadn't just added Peavy I'd be for the Red Sox claiming Lee.

Rios is a bit more of a toss-up. Maybe the Rangers would take on his salary with Cruz out for the regular season?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #1567
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #1568
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Danny Duffy called up by the Royals. Will be interesting to see if Wade Davis gets his spot in the rotation back after this start and/or if Duffy stays with the club once Davis comes back.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #1569
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Unless you think A-Rod sans steroids was likely to be employed through 2017 he certainly took someone's job.

He was likely to have the same sort of deal anyways. It's not like unjuiced A-Rod had a poor career arc
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #1570
MrBug708
Head Coach

C'mon Sabean. Ned is supposed to rummage through your garbage. Not the other way around.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #1571
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Danny Duffy called up by the Royals. Will be interesting to see if Wade Davis gets his spot in the rotation back after this start and/or if Duffy stays with the club once Davis comes back.

I figured Will Smith would get Davis's start but I guess not.

SI

Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #1572
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
He was likely to have the same sort of deal anyways. It's not like unjuiced A-Rod had a poor career arc

Really?

I have a hard time believing there was ever an "unjuiced A-Rod" now. He's tested positive so many times throughout the years (dating back to his time with Texas). IMO his whole career is tainted.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #1573
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah that article is a bit of a stretch. They are most likely all Dominican because A-Rod lived there and was friends with them and recruited them to the agency. There are plenty of clean DR players in MLB(well as far as we know, so lets just say non Bigenesis) Had he been from the South Bronx it might have been a group of friends of his from the South Bronx. What's next? Ryan Braun and how the Holocaust led him to use steroids?

Here's the point:

Quote:
In the Dominican Republic, where 40 percent of the country lives below the poverty line, steroids are actually legal and available over the counter.

So it really stretches the imagination to think that the MLB doesn't think that Dominicans aren't using steroids when they snap 'em up, and then act shocked when its found out that they are.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #1574
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

They snap them up between the ages of 16 and 18. They are tested for years in the minors. The author's point is that owners are exploiting them knowing they are juiced, when in reality they want good, clean players (nowadays, in Sosa's time maybe not, but he makes the point re: today).
Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #1575
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
in reality they want good, clean players

HAHAHA!! I'll have some of what you are smoking.

I mean, really?! How long did it take for a team to snap up Melky Cabrera after he took 50 games for PEDs?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-06-2013 at 04:29 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #1576
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Suspended players do them no good, was my point.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #1577
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

How come I don't see any news on these waives?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #1578
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
How come I don't see any news on these waives?

I believe they're discussing the upcoming trade deadline where you can trade a player if that player can clear waivers. They're talking about whether those players could clear waivers if they wanted to trade them.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #1579
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

There is no chance of the Phillies letting Lee just go for salary relief. If they were going to do that, they would have done it last year.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #1580
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well well Dodgers you are human after all.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1581
molson
General Manager

The Red Sox matched their win total from all of last year in a weird game. Lavarnway gave up 4 passed balls from Steven Wright in the first inning, so they gave up on that shit and pulled Wright. The first inning damage was 3 runs, the bullpen gave up another 7 runs after that, but the Sox scored 15, so all was good.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #1582
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Good night for the Tigers: They beat Cleveland (winning their 10th straight game), the plucky Royals finally lose and Verlander pitches as well as he's pitched for sometime now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1583
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers showed a glimpse of what their post-Cruz gameplan will be last night. Scored 8 runs without the benefit of an extra-base hit. They stole 6 bases, got the leadoff runner on base 5 times and brought them around to score 3 times.

They don't play a team with a record above .500 until the first of September, so now is the time for them to overtake the A's and get a decent lead before the stretch run.

Last edited by cartman : 08-07-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #1584
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Red Sox matched their win total from all of last year in a weird game. Lavarnway gave up 4 passed balls from Steven Wright in the first inning, so they gave up on that shit and pulled Wright. The first inning damage was 3 runs, the bullpen gave up another 7 runs after that, but the Sox scored 15, so all was good.
I know they want to see him in the bullpen for the stretch run, but I didn't understand why they didn't just give that start to Workman and then move him to the pen. And fwiw, Workman hasn't really looked good in any of his bullpen appearances, although Britton has surprised and De La Rosa looked like he could be downright dominant as long as he can throw strikes. Fingers crossed that's enough so they don't feel the need to trade for another reliever after their horrible track record there the last couple years. Fingers also crossed the team ends this charade and calls up Bogaerts soon. Brock Holt and Brandon Snyder are combining for a .550 OPS at 3rd base
Old 08-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #1585
BishopMVP
Coordinator

David Ortiz has 8 straight hits (+ 2 walks), and we still might lose 2 out of 3 vs. the Astros, in part due to the 5-hole hitters (Napoli and Carp) being 0-10 behind him. I know Mike Napoli has decent overall numbers, but he's one of the most painful hitters to actually watch bat. Lowest O-swing % (contact rate on pitches swung at in the strike zone) in baseball at 72.1%.

Edit - and of course, after that jinx Ortiz lines out to 1st base next at-bat. MLB record is 12 consecutive hits, 17 consecutive plate appearances reaching base (no errors, fielders choice, sacrifices) fwiw.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 08-07-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #1586
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the Mets should just keep Ike Davis in AAA until July every year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #1587
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amazing stuff happening here in KC. Big walk-up numbers. Record TV ratings. And most importantly, lots of wins.

Huge weekend series against Boston. That place is going to be packed and rocking. Can't wait. Going to try to snag some tickets for one of the games.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #1588
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Amazing stuff happening here in KC. Big walk-up numbers. Record TV ratings. And most importantly, lots of wins.

Huge weekend series against Boston. That place is going to be packed and rocking. Can't wait. Going to try to snag some tickets for one of the games.

Nothing like a trial by fire.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #1589
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #1590
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pirates continue to play well. They are now 25 games over .500 and still (quietly) have the best record in baseball, even though they only have the third best run differential in the NL Central.

I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten more play, but the Pirates have the longest streak of continuous losing seasons in the history of North American sports. So, the fact that they only need to win 13 more games this year (with 49 more games on the schedule) is pretty awesome.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #1591
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Good to hear! Too bad they are chasing the hottest team in baseball right now.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #1592
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Good to hear! Too bad they are chasing the second hottest team in baseball right now.

Fixed.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 08-08-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spacing fix
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #1593
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. I completely missed the Braves winning streak

SI

Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #1594
cartman
Death Herald

The new look Runnin' Rangers are the second team since 1920 to steal six or more bases in back to back games.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #1595
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Fixed.

Dunno about that. In the last 20 games, the Braves are 16-4, same as Detroit and LA. In the last 30, Detroit and LA are the hottest team. (I like taking a bit wider view of hottest team)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1596
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Didn't we just have this argument?

Plus, in the widest view, the Pirates are the hottest team.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1597
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would think in the widest, widest view the Yankees would be the hottest team, having won 27 World Series in baseball's first 100-whatever years

SI

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #1598
Danny
Head Coach

The Dodgers had a +9 run differential yesterday, so they are in fact, the hottest team
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #1599
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I would think in the widest, widest view the Yankees would be the hottest team, having won 27 World Series in baseball's first 100-whatever years

SI

SSS
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #1600
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Nothing like a trial by fire.

To be the best, you have to beat the best. This is still more fun that what we've dealt with in the last decade.